Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I know that there are outputs to use only preamps, but I don't get the point. If you want a decoder and preamps, why buying an AVR ? Isn't the perfect use case where a separated setup makes sense ?
As I wrote earlier you can get an AVR with preouts much cheaper than an AVP, unless the AVP has other features/connectivity you want.

Another use case is to use external amps for only some channels.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I know that there are outputs to use only preamps, but I don't get the point. If you want a decoder and preamps, why buying an AVR ? Isn't the perfect use case where a separated setup makes sense ?
Gotta good point you made. I've had many amps, monoblocks, two channel, 5 channel, only one prepro. Speaking for myself after years of wasted money on amps, separates, I found between the amp in my AVR and those 500 watt X 2 didn't help much. Only at very high volume levels, I'm talking about ear bleeding levels was there a difference. So I sold off my amps, cause as much as I loved high volume levels I love my hearing more.

Last edited:
A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I'm really disappointed at how much this thread has become an absolute sh!tshow.
Oh well.

Really am_pee? Dropping boxes on me in retaliation for not liking your trolling and bullying? Thank you for proving my point. :rolleyes:
I don't think I ever communicated with you on any thread ever in the past. But, somehow, I seem to live rent-free in your rabid head. I am putting you on ignore and hope I don't have to know that you exist in the future.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
So I dissed on Denon and Marantz? And that makes me a hypocrite? Huh. Interesting.
All of my messages have been about challenging the acceptance of broken implementations.

You agreed with several of those.

Huh.
Umm yep, yes I do believe your being unbiased. You do understand I'm just jacking with you right?
Didn't say or even did I imply you were being hypocritical. I just thought it was an excellent post very unbiased. I reposted your post to prove your point of how this thread has become a sh$t show, just thought I'd mess with you a bit. ;) edit:- @ryanosaur when you read,. (funny you mentioned sh$t show,) should've been your clue, I Was Picking at ya bro,!! Next time just tell me to f::k off. My skin is thick. ;)

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hey! Umm let's talk about Remotes! :D You like the remote that came with your Very Fine Flagship Yamaha RX-A8A? I Love my Yamaha RX-A4A remote! Why no one test Remotes? I'm never gonna get rid of my A4A! It lights Up! I don't have to turn on my table lamp anymore in order to see the button,s anymore. They should have a category for best remote award. Stay warm my friend! Gotta be very cold with all that snow you got on top of your home.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Everyone has a different philosophy. :D

I have said this many times - if I am buying an AVR, I am using it as an AVR. If I want to use external amps, then I’m buying an AVP, not an AVR.

But some guys will buy an AVR (like the $4600 Denon X8500HA), instead of an AVP, even if the AVR costs more than the AVP (like Yamaha CX-A5200 or Marantz AV7706).

One client chose the X8500HA AVR over the Marantz AV8805A AVP because the X8500 has better THD+N than every AVR and AVP out there, except for the DataSat LS10, which costs a lot more.

It’s a combination of many factors, including the preamp mode, THD+N, higher pre-out voltage.

We can debate the merits of certain factors. But we have to decide what’s more important to each of us, which is different for each of us.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hey! Umm let's talk about Remotes! :D You like the remote that came with your Very Fine Flagship Yamaha RX-A8A? I Love my Yamaha RX-A4A remote! Why no one test Remotes? I'm never gonna get rid of my A4A! It lights Up! I don't have to turn on my table lamp anymore in order to see the button,s anymore. They should have a category for best remote award. Stay warm my friend! Gotta be very cold with all that snow you got on top of your home.
A Denon AVR remote is not much too write home about but then I’ve used a Logitech Harmony remote for over a decade.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There’s a great sounding system for everyone. We don’t all need to own the same brands or similar systems.

Whatever works best is the best system for each of us.

We can share our thoughts. Like my thoughts on using AVR and AVP. Or someone’s thoughts on the Preamp mode, which is important to them.

And many times it gets heated. But we can be cool. :cool: :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
A Denon AVR remote is not much too write home about but then I’ve used a Logitech Harmony remote for over a decade.
Neither is the Yamaha remote, my eye sight isn't what it use to be especially at night. I just posted that, to try to lighten up the thread some.

Last edited:
S

sk11vengeance

Enthusiast
QQ - I know this could be a repetitive question especially from me - Did anyone who ordered from BB (USA or North America) in the last few weeks receive the RX-A6A at the estimated time as suggested by BB as it has been showing in and out of stock pretty frequently? I put in an order on Dec 16th and it shows Jan 10th but i am not too sure yet as the status is still "ready for packaging" for the last week or so. It came back again in stock now after being OOS for a few days for new orders delivery as Jan 24th.
I ordered mine on Dec 29 and it still says ready for packaging arriving by Jan 21. Has yours shipped yet?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I ordered mine on Dec 29 and it still says ready for packaging arriving by Jan 21. Has yours shipped yet?
Hey, when you do get your AVR in and setup, post up your thoughts and of course we love photos so post up! Congratulations on your new AVR coming in!

S

sk11vengeance

Enthusiast
Hey, when you do get your AVR in and setup, post up your thoughts and of course we love photos so post up! Congratulations on your new AVR coming in!
Thanks, will do, it will be replacing a Denon x3500h so a decent upgrade for me I guess. I mainly wanted to upgrade for HDMI 2.1 and balanced outputs.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks, will do, it will be replacing a Denon x3500h so a decent upgrade for me I guess. I mainly wanted to upgrade for HDMI 2.1 and balanced outputs.
I think your gonna like it a lot. Speaking just for me, my RX-A4A has been performing flawlessly. Over 60 day's going in, no issues.

sollyemmy

sollyemmy

Enthusiast
I ordered on Dec 16th and it says "Packaging your item" Arriving tomorrow, Friday, 01/07/2022. It will surely be a surprise if it arrives without any tracking or shipping information/ confirmation email. It will be interesting to see. I will update in a couple of days.

01/06/2022 EDIT: Status is "We'll let you know when it ships." and "Get it Tomorrow" - I am not even sure if that makes sense for me to receive it tomorrow if it hasn't shipped yet.

01/07/2022 EDIT: And we just got an update: "We're working on shipping this item. It's unlikely, but if your item isn't available by Fri, January 21, we'll issue a refund. "

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
Got mine by watching for open box on Crutchfeild. Find the remote ok but am trying to get the Apple TV to do basics for this and tv as well. TV cost 3k and came with a real cheesy remote.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Got mine by watching for open box on Crutchfeild. Find the remote ok but am trying to get the Apple TV to do basics for this and tv as well. TV cost 3k and came with a real cheesy remote.
So it was you who beat me to it! Not really lol, congratulations your new AVR!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The manuals for RX-3080, A4/6/8 all say 2V for pre-outs.

On the ASR refurbished 3080, what was the max pre-out voltage?

Amir said on the RX-A1080 that he had to set the volume to +2dB to get 2V = 0.004% THD+N, instead of setting the volume to 0.0dB?

If he left the volume at 0.0dB, it would be 1.57V?

1.6V = 202W (28dB gain), 127W (26dB gain).

Seems funny how the RX-A1080 THD+N is 0.004%, but the Refurbished RX-A3080 is 0.008%. Shouldn’t the THD+N be higher if you increase volume from 0.0dB to 2.0dB?

Did he increase the volume on the RX-A3080 by 2dB to get 2V?
No idea, either that unit had an issue, but I think more likely there was just something silly going on during that test. He should have investigated as he had done in the past if something weird happened but in this case I guess he didn't bother because the owner was only interested in getting the amp tested. He sort of clarified this morning.

Regarding the specs, when you see something like:

1 V/470 ohm
Maximum 2 V

such as Yamaha's, it does not mean it can sustain at the maximum level. So it is possible that Amir was trying to do a sweep like Gene did with the RX-A860 and that triggered the protection mode. Even the Marantz SR8012 couldn't deal with such sweep test well.

Amir came across that too when he measured the RX-A1080. So if I were to bet money on this, I would say that was what happened.

Obviously the A6A listened (to Gene?) and have softened the protection mode approach on the new generation. Again, I am only speculating.

I know we are not talking about Marantz, but I thought it may help to review what Gene found on this protection mode thing in the following link, I use the SR8012 as example because he elaborated more on that test than the one he did on the Yamaha RX-A860.

Marantz SR8012 Bench Tests & Conclusion | Audioholics

Editorial Note about Preamp Mode:
I was unable to do a preamp frequency sweep exceeding 1.2Vrms as it tripped the protection circuits since the power amps were still engaged and exceeded full rated power (140 watt/ch, 8 ohms, Av = 29dB). Unfortunately, Marantz doesn't offer a preamp only mode to disconnect the power amp from the circuit if you're using only external amplification. This is something I'd like to see ALL receiver manufacturers offer that include preouts to avoid this very problem I noted. It would also be more energy efficient as well. We will be testing this on receivers going forward and lobbying the manufacturers to include a preamp mode if they already don't. Please note it's unlikely you will ever run into a problem driving external amplification as normal program material doesn't behave like continuous sinusoidal sweeps like what was used on my bench tests.
Also note that he didn't have that issue with the SR8015, so again may be like Yamaha, manufacturers are beginning to pay attention to feedbacks from bench tests done by independent labs, thanks to Gene and Amir.

In the real world though, I would still say flagship AVRs like the RX-A3080, even 2080 will not trip on protection for 99% of their users, only the 1% who asked for it may get it.:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Of course, normally, but I would say most of the time people may go for AVRs regardless, because they often could pick up some last year model AVRs brand new with factory warranty for less money than an AVP that may or may not offer better performance, sometimes even less, example: Denon AVRs performed much better on the test bench than it's cousin "separates" such as the AVR-X4700H vs AV7705, or even AV8805 to lesser extent, as long as one doesn't need balanced I/Os.

Also, some may want a "decoder and preamps" for their LCR speakers only.
If Epson ever comes out with an 8K-Rez, 8K-Lumen Laser PJ, I will probably just get a Yamaha A6 for my 5.2.4 HT system.

If anyone is asking why not the A8, the answer is because I only need 9 speakers, not 11.

I love my CX-A5100, but I am ready to say that AVR-alone is all I need for my 9 RBH speakers. The external amp (MX-A5000) can be used for my subwoofers. But the AVR alone is all I need for the 9 speakers.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
If Epson ever comes out with an 8K-Rez, 8K-Lumen Laser PJ, I will probably just get a Yamaha A6 for my 5.2.4 HT system.

If anyone is asking why not the A8, the answer is because I only need 9 speakers, not 11.

I love my CX-A5100, but I am ready to say that AVR-alone is all I need for my 9 RBH speakers. The external amp (MX-A5000) can be used for my subwoofers. But the AVR alone is all I need for the 9 speakers.
Hey Andrew, better pick up that A6A, before Yamaha does away with the extra 2 years of warranty!, You better buy that solid gold rocket ship! ;) Do it! Doooo it! Yeah do it.:D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I deleted that post because I realized every points I made had been made already but for some reasons I missed a page or two. You are okay with RCAs, and won't miss the "click"?:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis