Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Makes sense that all processing increases THD+N. I am still curious then (not questioning), why reply solely on PEQ and not use auto room correction?

2. I labored for hours (and hours and hours) with REW for placement and treatments so ARC only tidied up things, but it did make a measurable difference in flatting the FR, admittedly I don't know if it is an audible difference....

3. Anyway, I know I could simplify things a bit, and open my options for other products that are digital-only, if I would throw in the towel on my current 2CH config, but I am not sure what I gain…
1. I tried auto room EQ. But they never sounded great to me. I think Through/Bypass mode sounded better than any Auto-EQ modes. Thus, I see no point of using Auto EQ in my room. The only EQ I needed was for the subwoofers. So I only used the PEQ for subs, not speakers.

If auto-EQ sounds great to people, then they should use it. YMMV.

2. Like what I said in #1. So what if the FR looked flatter? I only care about what actually sounds good me, not what looks good on paper.

3. In Direct mode, you would not gain anything in terms of 2CH sound quality. The only gain I can see for getting something like the RX-A6/A8 over 2CH analog would be more features, more convenience, bass management, PEQ for subs.

P

PacketofCrisps

Audioholic Intern
On the sub out if your using only one sub is it recommended to combine both outputs into one due to lower voltage? I'm sure I read that somewhere?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure about the A4, the A6 can for sure so the A8 must be able to too.
The 3080 is a little iffy because Amir couldn't even measure it at 2 V before the unit's protection kicked in. May be that refurbish unit is defective, who knows.. Based on the AH measurements, I would expect the A6A make it to the recommended list and got the full pink panther if Amir. From what I have seen so far, the test results on the same or very similar models did get very similar results on both sites. Until Amir gets to measure another Yamaha, the one that measured the best on ASR is the WXA-50, I mean the overall results not just SINAD for the DAC part.
The manuals for RX-3080, A4/6/8 all say 2V for pre-outs.

On the ASR refurbished 3080, what was the max pre-out voltage?

Amir said on the RX-A1080 that he had to set the volume to +2dB to get 2V = 0.004% THD+N, instead of setting the volume to 0.0dB?

If he left the volume at 0.0dB, it would be 1.57V?

1.6V = 202W (28dB gain), 127W (26dB gain).

Seems funny how the RX-A1080 THD+N is 0.004%, but the Refurbished RX-A3080 is 0.008%. Shouldn’t the THD+N be higher if you increase volume from 0.0dB to 2.0dB?

Did he increase the volume on the RX-A3080 by 2dB to get 2V?

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have driven my RX-A3070 at rocket ship levels and nothing went into protection mode. It runs cold... I assume you have never owned a flagship Yamaha

Your Denon only has GEQ (no PEQ)????, kinda lame for a flagship Denon eh?
Music cast is way more polished and way less buggy than HEOS (poor user experience).
Does Denon even offer a high quality multichannel amp like Yamaha's MX-A5200. Oh they don't?? Kinda lame...if you ask me.

It's really strange...No other brand... Onkyo, NAD, Arcam, Marantz whatever don't seem to have this level of "My Denon is oh so superior" feral fan club trying to hijack threads for other brands. I wonder why...Is it because ASR posted some numbers on his site?
Sigh.:rolleyes:

Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
On the sub out if your using only one sub is it recommended to combine both outputs into one due to lower voltage? I'm sure I read that somewhere?
I have a 4 and SVS PB 1000 PRO and don't need to do that. However on YAPO had to increase the sub way louder. Really ran to low in volume for room.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Oh wait...your flagship Denon doesn't offer you parameters to set up custom soundfields and tailor it to the user's listening room ike the flagship Yamahas...a truly incredible feature....

Flagship Denon is starting to like poo to me all of a sudden ...

Sigh :rolleyes:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Oh wait...your flagship Denon doesn't offer you parameters to set up custom soundfields like the flagship Yamahas...a truly incredible feature....

Sigh :rolleyes:
Reading comprehension isn’t your strongest side, obviously.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
It is only suggested if your sub is not coming on in the "auto on" setting at lower volumes.

P

PacketofCrisps

Audioholic Intern
I have a 4 and SVS PB 1000 PRO and don't need to do that. However on YAPO had to increase the sub way louder. Really ran to low in volume for room.
I have an SVS PB 1000 Pro also, if I could ask some advice because I never really know if my Sub is setup correctly, I first ran YPAO calibration with the sub vol set at it's default -10dB, at this volume YPAO sets the sub volume to -1dB on the receiver, I've read that's it's better to have sub level set on the receiver to -6dB in case you wish to trim the sub so it doesn't overload, so kept lowering the sub volume 1dB at a time until YPAO calibration resulted in the Sub being set at -6dB, coincidently setting 1000Pro to -6dB also yielded the result of -6dB in the YPAO calibration on the receiver also, does this sound correct to you?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm really disappointed at how much this thread has become an absolute sh!tshow.
Oh well.

Really am_pee? Dropping boxes on me in retaliation for not liking your trolling and bullying? Thank you for proving my point. :rolleyes:

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I'm really disappointed at how much this thread has become an absolute sh!tshow.
Oh well.

Really am_pee? Dropping boxes on me in retaliation for not liking your trolling and bullying? Thank you for proving my point. :rolleyes:
@ryanosaur :p:D:D:D Funny you should you mentioned (sh$t show,) lol:p when Way back you where one of-um slinging mud on this Yamaha thread. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black huh? :p;) After all you are our Warlord!!!;)
Screenshot_20220104-204745~2.png

Last edited:
Torqueflite

Torqueflite

Enthusiast
So honestly I set the sub up so I liked the sound of it. Think it was a like +4db. My system is weird because I set it up so far that the eq has as little to do as possible. My system also has no center speaker as I prefer the sound of it that way.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
The "Flexing" in here at times is hilarious....
View attachment 52859
Lol, I know huh..lmao of course it doesn't help few of us are egging it on. :D kinda reminds me of the good ole day way back in 2011 on Polk Audio's forum, anyone that would post up about their new Emotive amp going on about how their new Elmoe amp was a game changer. Best dumpster fire threads ever man! Was like a trench war going on, guys throwing lil Bose cube speakers at each other. :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I know that there are outputs to use only preamps, but I don't get the point. If you want a decoder and preamps, why buying an AVR ? Isn't the perfect use case where a separated setup makes sense ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur :p:D:D:D Funny you should you mentioned (sh$t show,) lol:p when Way back you where one of-um slinging mud on this Yamaha thread. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black huh? :p;) After all you are our Warlord!!!;)
View attachment 52863
So I dissed on Denon and Marantz? And that makes me a hypocrite? Huh. Interesting.
All of my messages have been about challenging the acceptance of broken implementations.

You agreed with several of those.

Huh.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis