Yamaha 2020 Receiver line up (HDMI 2.1 - Full 8K support)

E

EBN

Audioholic
Yamaha has new look in 2020 receivers! Lot of questions in mind after seeing these. Hope we get some more information soon!

Aventage serie
RX-A8 (11 channel)
RX-A6 (9 channel)
RX-A4 (7 channel)
RX-A2 (7 channel)

Normal serie
RX-V6 (7 channel)
RX-V4 (5 channel)

Source: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-276-8366.html

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will these Yamaha be the first AVRs to have HDMI 2.1?

Not surprising, but still always kind of funny how these Yamaha AVRs will have HDMI 2.1, but all the $4K-$20K Pre-pros won't have it yet until a year or more later.

Last edited:
Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Generally I do not find anything special on how an AVR looks but these ones are down right ugly...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Generally I do not find anything special on how an AVR looks but these ones are down right ugly...
Agreed..looks like somebody beat these receivers with the ugly stick. No compelling reason here for me to upgrade unless the sound is vastly improved.. I think I'll stick with my 3060 for the time being. I can't see needing anything more than HDR and 4k pass through right now anyways.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I like the new look, blue display better than white or ugly green.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
I like the new look, blue display better than white or ugly green.
It's not the color of the display, I like that, it's a big blank space on the left, a giant dial in the middle, and a display and small dial on the right. At least make it a little symmetrical. Small dial on one side of large dial, display on the other or dials towards the side with display in the middle. Also, why make the display so small, only makes it even harder to read when you want to. There is plenty of space on the front of that AVR to make it larger for those with aging vision.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
does look like Anthems, would be nice if they beefed up the amp side

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
HDMI 2.1 is probably more of a gamer thing for higher frame rates. Even at lower resolutions, it takes way more bandwidth to push say, 144fps and up than to do the standard (admittedly plebeian) 60fps.

My AV system is for dedicated theater with ceiling projector and I'm still happily using 1080p/3D.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1080p/2K can look awesome. As with anything, it depends on the Source Format. If the videos are captured on 4K to 8K Digital Camera, the BluRay will look awesome in 2K or 4K.

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
1080p/2K can look awesome. As with anything, it depends on the Source Format. If the videos are captured on 4K to 8K Digital Camera, the BluRay will look awesome in 2K or 4K.
Agree, and I will upgrade soon to 4k projection as they keep dropping in price and adding more features. But, as a bonus for now - Disney+ streams their 4k movies in HD but keeps the Atmos soundtrack. I haven't noticed a physical BD with that neat trick!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But, as a bonus for now - Disney+ streams their 4k movies in HD but keeps the Atmos soundtrack. I haven't noticed a physical BD with that neat trick!
? Can you explain this more?

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
? Can you explain this more?
Disney+ has a selection of UHD & HDR movies to stream e.g. Big Hero 6.
My Roku player and X2600H are 4k/Atmos capable but my Epson 2150 is only 1080p/3D.
When I select to play Big Hero 6 the info on screen depicts "HD / Dolby Atmos" and when I start the movie my AVR displays Atmos as the source and when checking the stream info it also confirms Atmos as the source (and since I turned on Height Virtualization it also displays height speakers in use on the left side of the status image, and actual speakers in use on the right side).
It looks and sounds great and makes it hard to justify upgrading the projector.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Disney+ has a selection of UHD & HDR movies to stream e.g. Big Hero 6.
My Roku player and X2600H are 4k/Atmos capable but my Epson 2150 is only 1080p/3D.
When I select to play Big Hero 6 the info on screen depicts "HD / Dolby Atmos" and when I start the movie my AVR displays Atmos as the source and when checking the stream info it also confirms Atmos as the source (and since I turned on Height Virtualization it also displays height speakers in use on the left side of the status image, and actual speakers in use on the right side).
It looks and sounds great and makes it hard to justify upgrading the projector.
Gotcha, HDMI sink dictating the capability of the system. No way to run video direct to projector while audio goes to avr?

H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
Gotcha, HDMI sink dictating the capability of the system. No way to run video direct to projector while audio goes to avr?
Well, the Roku is a stick that goes directly into the back of the AVR. Then a sizable HDMI cable goes to the back of the room and up to the projector for video only. I don't get impacted by HDMI cable length attenuation for now, because I only need to push 1080p/3D over that distance. 10.2 Gbps is sufficient for my needs using a cable rated for up to 18 Gbps. Yes, eventually I will have to implement HDMI->CAT6 adapters to get the full 4K HDR 4:4:4 bandwidth needed if I do replace the projector. But for now I'm cool with a $39.99 50ft HDMI cable running against the side baseboards and then through the wall up to the ceiling mount.

I actually prefer that the X2600H do its video processing as the image looks noticeably better compared to using the Roku plugged into the back of the projector directly. And the projector only has a mini RCA audio out, which kinda sucks.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I missed Yamaha orange when they dropped that color. I must admit that Im kinda confused with this new look and the phallic volume control jutting out so proudly from its groin. Why such a big knob when its going to be controlled by a remote anyway?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis