Would wiring 4 super tweeters per speaker box increase life of tweeters?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh man, there better be pics @Klipschhead302! My wife and I are driving to Texas from Arizona to visit with some of my family. 14 hour drive. It's my wife's turn and I'm just killing time. Entertain me! :p

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Oh man, there better be pics @Klipschhead302! My wife and I are driving to Texas from Arizona to visit with some of my family. 14 hour drive. It's my wife's turn and I'm just killing time. Entertain me! :p
I will do my best! Think cardboard, big 15" driver incapable of mids and a super tweeter using a choke from my car audio days what could go wrong? :D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Where was this thread when I was looking for inspiration for my own speaker builds?

Don't laugh but, one of the best pair of DIY R&R speakers I ever heard were two homemade cabinets with either 3 or 6 pioneer 6x9 coaxial car speakers in each and house insulation. They actually still exist and this was probably 40+ years ago.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I found the ratshack Supertweeter while cleaning the garage today. Hopefully this week I'll have time to put together the masterpiece.

SuperTweeter.JPG

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Where was this thread when I was looking for inspiration for my own speaker builds?

Don't laugh but, one of the best pair of DIY R&R speakers I ever heard were two homemade cabinets with either 3 or 6 pioneer 6x9 coaxial car speakers in each and house insulation. They actually still exist and this was probably 40+ years ago.
In this thread, who would laugh? :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In this thread, who would laugh? :)
Exactly! When I was a teenager I had a waterbed, and the headboard had a big mirror in the middle, but on the sides it had compartments, roughly 12" wide with doors. I took the doors off and made baffles wrapped in feltish type stuff to mount a pair of 6x9's. One on each side of the headboard. They were great for 2ch movie watching in bed, or plain stereo listening, or even setting the mood, LOL. I had a pair of cerwin vega, d-9s(with 15's) flanking the tv for more spirited fun. After the headboard project, I mounted another pair of 6x9's into two of the false ceiling panels in my room. Oh the good ol days. Lol. Nope, nobody laughing here.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Exactly! When I was a teenager I had a waterbed, and the headboard had a big mirror in the middle, but on the sides it had compartments, roughly 12" wide with doors. I took the doors off and made baffles wrapped in feltish type stuff to mount a pair of 6x9's. One on each side of the headboard. They were great for 2ch movie watching in bed, or plain stereo listening, or even setting the mood, LOL. I had a pair of cerwin vega, d-9s(with 15's) flanking the tv for more spirited fun. After the headboard project, I mounted another pair of 6x9's into two of the false ceiling panels in my room. Oh the good ol days. Lol. Nope, nobody laughing here.
If only we had the technology back then to document the mastery! :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If only we had the technology back then to document the mastery! :D
Lol! I know what you mean. The handiwork actually turned out pretty decent( somehow). As far as the rest of my exploits, it's probably a good thing we didn't have the tech we do now.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Lol! I know what you mean. The handiwork actually turned out pretty decent( somehow). As far as the rest of my exploits, it's probably a good thing we didn't have the tech we do now.
I had a very similar model water bed, thankfully the first wife took that with her. :D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had a very similar model water bed, thankfully the first wife took that with her. :D
I still have one. I've tried all sorts of beds in my travels, but nothing beats the water nest. I remember when I first met my gf and she claimed how she hated waterbeds. She slept for something like 13 hrs straight.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I still have one. I've tried all sorts of beds in my travels, but nothing beats the water nest. I remember when I first met my gf and she claimed how she hated waterbeds. She slept for something like 13 hrs straight.
It's a great way to survive Minnesota winters too. I had my heater maxed!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
On the road for 6 hours now, heading home. Another 9 to go... I'm glad my wife is with me. We're driving in shifts. So of course we dropped signal right after her and I switched this morning and haven't had a decent one in 2 hours.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I'm afraid 'head is gonna make it look too nice. lol
Oh I dunno, I'm turning off the OCD filter when working on this, it won't be a set because I may not have enough, oh wait, who said they had to match?? :D

D

domicd

Audiophyte
UPDATE- I know this update is not that important but why not. Im not active at all on this forum since im on other non-audio related forums, but I posted this thread in 2017, its oct 2020 and my speaker set with the 4 super tweeters wired per speaker box (8 in total) are still going great and strong. So by wiring 4 super tweeters properly to a 3 way cross over per speaker box(thanks for informing me of this on this thread) instead of 1 tends to increase the life of the tweeters.

Actually I had to replace the foam around the 2- 15" bass sub woofers with new foam rings using Guerrilla wood glue and it worked great. (had to hold the foam down with weight for 1 day to allow glue to dry).

My 17(or more) year old Sony receiver finally broke down and went into permanent protect error mode so I bought a new Sony receiver, I really nice one with amazing low bass frequencies, Sony STR-DA3100ES.

My old EQ started to hum way too loud(problem started 10 years ago and got louder and louder) so I bought an excellent Technics EQ SH-Z200. As I mentioned on this thread, I use 2- 10 inch bass woofers as the midranges but since the midrange is really loud on 2- 10", I always turn them around and not facing so the midrange would be lower. With my new Technics EQ I lowered a certain level of midrange and the 10 inchers finally sound perfect when facing the front, for some reason when I lowered the midrange on my older EQ it didn't sound perfect enough to allow me to turn them around, whereas with the new EQ it does.

My 3 way crossovers are still working great but before I bought my new EQ I bought 2- 2 way crossovers to see how my super tweeters would sound like without using the 2- 10 inch woofers as mid ranges. The bass sounded perfect but the super tweeters had a very loud and annoying high midrange sound and sounded bad, so I had to reconnect the 3 way crossover back to the way it was.

I HAVE A NEW QUESTION. I notice 2 way crossovers are really popular and sold everywhere. I know you connect 2 speakers to a 2 way crossover, a bass woofer, but what kind tweeter or midrange do you connect to the crossover as the highs? Although im happy with my 3 way crossover the way it is sounding great with my new EQ, but im still curious about what 2 speakers do you wire to a 2 way crossover. If you wire a midrange speaker there will be no tweeter highs, and if you wire a tweeter or super tweeter there will be an annoying loud mid range. Are there speakers for a 2 way crossover that I don't know about??

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why would you want to use a two-way crossover in a three-way box? Don't do it. It won't do anything for you but make the speakers sound worse, insofar as that is possible.

Anyway, I am heartened to see this legendary system is still seeing action. In these dark times, that is a ray of light. You should name your speaker system so that we may sing its praises a thousand years henceforth.

D

domicd

Audiophyte
Why would you want to use a two-way crossover in a three-way box? Don't do it. It won't do anything for you but make the speakers sound worse, insofar as that is possible.

Anyway, I am heartened to see this legendary system is still seeing action. In these dark times, that is a ray of light. You should name your speaker system so that we may sing its praises a thousand years henceforth.
Name of my speaker boxes?? Not sure, maby- Domicd's 8 super tweeter and sloppily put together speaker system. (I can't think of another name).---OR Domic's FRANKEN FLOP speaker system.

I wanted to just use the 15" sub bass woofers along with the super tweeters wired to the 2 way crossovers and not use the 10" bass woofers that i've been using as the mid-ranges. But then I bought a new EQ and lowered a midrange level on the new EQ and the speakers sound great using a 3 way crossover.

But if my 3 way crossovers burn some years from now(theyre 15 years old), I would like to try the 2 way cross overs that I bought. BUT what 2 speakers do they wire to a 2 way crossover? A bass woofer and a what?I notice ALL 2 way speakers for sale feature 1 bass and 1 tweeter. If a mid range is wred there will be no tweeter highs and if a tweeter is wired it will sound horrible with a loud high pitched midrange. I never heard of a speaker that acts as both a midrange and a tweeter. IF 2 way crossovers always sound horrible no matter what speakers you use, then why do they sell them everywhere with 1 bass and 1 tweeter?? I do know the mid range frequency is shared in between the bass and tweeter, but even when shared a tweeter still sounds horrible with a high pitched midrange sound.

One thing though, I sure made a messy repair to the 15" foam rings around the sub woofers. The foam rims were not level with the woofers, so I had to apply weight onto each part of the rim that I glued for 24 hours each, resulting in rims that are bent out of shape and indented due to the dry glue, and the glue also dripped and smudged, therefore theres quite alot of shiny dry glue on the rims and woofers. Would like to take an updated picture of my speaker system with the messy foam repair, but the memory card of my camera became defective, and not sure when i'll be buying a new memory card, plus this thread is 3 years and 8 months old anyways, hahaha.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis