William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If he's able to add a second sub later that means he could do it now. While in your opinion the F12 he chose might be a better sub, which is debatable, there is no way that single sub is better than two comparable SVS subs. Also, with that promo code, he could basically got two for almost the price of one.
if he can’t measure to find out the best placement, adding a second sub is a shot in the dark. And if he’s only optimizing for a single seat, a second sub could be superfluous. He would definitely gain spl potential, there’s no way to know without measuring, and it could even have a negative impact. The main reason for two is smoothing FR. So yeah, it’s possible a single better sub can be better than two decent ones.

I prefer sealed. No such thing as port chuffing with sealed. Also, ported subs are space eaters.
Ported subs are space eaters. But if you have space who cares? They outperform sealed every time. And chuffing? Complete exaggeration perpetuated by idiots who use the EOT intro for testing. Not an issue in almost every single case.

He could have got two for almost the price of one. It makes no sense for him to purchase a single sub.
Meh…

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
if he can’t measure to find out the best placement, adding a second sub is a shot in the dark. And if he’s only optimizing for a single seat, a second sub could be superfluous. He would definitely gain spl potential, there’s no way to know without measuring, and it could even have a negative impact. The main reason for two is smoothing FR. So yeah, it’s possible a single better sub can be better than two decent ones.

Ported subs are space eaters. But if you have space who cares? They outperform sealed every time. And chuffing? Complete exaggeration perpetuated by idiots who use the EOT intro for testing. Not an issue in almost every single case.

Meh…
I’d expect the duel subs to obliterate a single F12-400 12” sealed . But as too sound quality wise , it depends on room and tuning. Either way op chose F12-400 so he’s about to see. :D Looks good says it doesn’t go above 100hz Crossover range (Low pass)if that means anything?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d expect the duel subs to obliterate a single F12-400 12” sealed . But as too sound quality wise , it depends on room and tuning. Either way op chose F12-400 so he’s about to see. :D Looks good says it doesn’t go above 100hz Crossover range (Low pass)if that means anything?
Obliterate in which way? Spl? Yes the potential for more spl is there, so maybe 3-4db. But if there are phase cancellations then no. They won’t “obliterate”. An FV18 would obliterate four of either of these subs but so what? Randomly placing subs is like wiping your a55 before you shitt.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Obliterate in which way? Spl? Yes the potential for more spl is there, so maybe 3-4db. But if there are phase cancellations then no. They won’t “obliterate”. An FV18 would obliterate four of either of these subs but so what? Randomly placing subs is like wiping your a55 before you shitt.
It simply does not make sense to purchase one sub when you can get two for almost the same price.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
In what way?
F12-400 $899

Two SVS SB 2000 (with the discount the poster cited) $999

You get two for close to the price of the Rythmik subs. Who wouldn't do that, not to mention the benefits that come with the use of multiple subs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep :D , I’m also wondering why hsu says 2 of there subs is 4x the output of 1.
Can you show where they said that?

They’re probably comparing ported to sealed. In that case yes, below about 35hz ported will have more output and by the time you get to 20hz it will usually be about four times the output.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Can you show where they said that?

They’re probably comparing ported to sealed. In that case yes, below about 35hz ported will have more output and by the time you get to 20hz it will usually be about four times the output.
On duel drive it says up to 4x , but cmon makes no sense.

53558A5F-997E-4623-A4F3-E2D3E3EE01B3.png

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
F12-400 $899

Two SVS SB 2000 (with the discount the poster cited) $999

You get two for close to the price of the Rythmik subs. Who wouldn't do that, not to mention the benefits that come with the use of multiple subs.
You’re ignoring my earlier points. Just because you have two subs doesn’t mean it’s better. I am a fan of and use multiple subs(3 actually), but you can’t just drop them in the room. By doing that, without measuring, the FR can actually be WORSE. AND, if you are only calibrating for one seat(which it seems) a single can absolutely provide a great smooth response.
The point is that the “benefits” of multiple subs are NOT automatic. It takes work, and measurements.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
On duel drive it says up to 4x , but cmon makes no sense.

View attachment 59353
Well there’s no context but I’ll take a stab.
A second identical sub can add 6db total output. 3db output is considered a doubling of output, So, a dual(not duel) drive system that’s capable of 6db more is quadrupling.
Hows that?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Well there’s no context but I’ll take a stab.
A second identical sub can add 6db total output. 3db output is considered a doubling of output, So, a dual(not duel) drive system that’s capable of 6db more is quadrupling.
Hows that?
Yeah it doesn’t add up I also thought second sub added 3-6db but I wasn’t sure how much been so long since I checked.
Why I asked you because to just didn’t add up, and I’m not certain how duels /multiples stack up but 4x seemed a bit high.
either a sales trick or someone was bad at math ? o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah it doesn’t add up I also thought second sub added 3-6db but I wasn’t sure how much been so long since I checked.
You might be conflating spl and output as William mentioned...you measure both in dB but doesn't represent the same thing.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
You’re ignoring my earlier points. Just because you have two subs doesn’t mean it’s better. I am a fan of and use multiple subs(3 actually), but you can’t just drop them in the room. By doing that, without measuring, the FR can actually be WORSE. AND, if you are only calibrating for one seat(which it seems) a single can absolutely provide a great smooth response.
The point is that the “benefits” of multiple subs are NOT automatic. It takes work, and measurements.
If you could purchase two subs for the price of one would you do it? Also. there is nothing that prevents him from doing measurements.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Why I asked you because to just didn’t add up, and I’m not certain how duels /multiples stack up but 4x seemed a bit high.
Lol. I’m pretty sure the good dr shoe can do math.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Lol. I’m pretty sure the good dr shoe can do math.
Yeah I guess it’s not as powerful as 4 of the same subs how I thought it was worded just so confusing o_O . It’s up to max 4x power of 1, that’s if they are both in perfect spots also and calibrated .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you could purchase two subs for the price of one would you do it? Also. there is nothing that prevents him from doing measurements.
Depends on the two subs. If the only two were an sb2000 or an f12. No, I’d buy the f12, and save for another. Why does he HAVE to get two now?
I’ve used an sb2k. It’s fine, but it’s not that great.

You’re right. Nothing is saying he can’t do measurements, but the way your presenting is that two are always better than one. I don’t believe that’s the case. EVERY situation is different. And AGAIN! You can’t just put two in and be done.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on the two subs. If the only two were an sb2000 or an f12. No, I’d buy the f12, and save for another. Why does he HAVE to get two now?
I’ve used an sb2k. It’s fine, but it’s not that great.

You’re right. Nothing is saying he can’t do measurements, but the way your presenting is that two are always better than one. I don’t believe that’s the case. EVERY situation is different. And AGAIN! You can’t just put two in and be done.
Why would the F12 be particularly different/better than the SB2000?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis