panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'll look into it- haven't really checked out Linux in years, although the music server I used runs on it, but a much earlier version since it was made in 2007. Being purpose-built, it still works fine.
Ubuntu is a great way to lean into Linux. All my stuff I do day to day is Windows based, so it's not super useful to me, but I've used it plenty in the past and it's solid and reliable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So absolutely no reason to update from Win10 to Win11?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The fact that they've changed the entire context of the right click? I dunno. In a fit of rage two months ago after another MS updated borked something for me (My VMWare nested virtualization) I removed M$ everywhere I could and now run Ubuntu.
Works for you, don't blame you, but for the other 98% of PC users, Windows 11 works fine ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Depends on you. If you want to use the new features of 11, yes. If not, no.

My work laptop is on 11, which was a surprise, and it works just fine.

I bought a few mini PCs for my girls and they came with 11. After removing all the bloat, they're solid little machines. Since my kids are all under 10, parental controls are a must. I have M365 family plan, and the controls they offer are excellent. My son's PC is windows 10 and it works, but it's not nearly as seamless.

However, if the rumors are true they're going to show ads on 11. If that happens, I'll just have to find a way to block them, but that still bugs me.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Right! It gets rather expensive to switch over to Windows 11 when your PC is not powerful enough. You have to get a new motherboard, a new processor etc.

Instead of getting Microsoft richer, it is wise to keep using Windows 10 and eventually switch to the free and stable Ubuntu which I did.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As panteragstk wrote, not unless there are some new features you want or need.

Windows 10 will get security updates for two more years and then I’ll have to build a new PC. My current one can’t be updated to Windows 11 anyway, unless Microsoft change their stance on this.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Right! It gets rather expensive to switch over to Windows 11 when your PC is not powerful enough. You have to get a new motherboard, a new processor etc.
Older PC lacks a few hardware security features that Microsoft now requires for Windows 11. It’s not about lack of performance of the PC as older ones works just fine for most tasks like browsing, email, watching Netflix, office, light gaming and so forth.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Older PC lacks a few hardware security features that Microsoft now requires for Windows 11. It’s not about lack of performance of the PC as older ones works just fine for most tasks like browsing, email, watching Netflix, office, light gaming and so forth.
Yeah I have 2 Win10 PC's that have Intel i9 w/ good gaming MB and those MS A$$HOLES say I can't upgrade to Win11.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I have 2 Win10 PC's that have Intel i9 w/ good gaming MB and those MS A$$HOLES say I can't upgrade to Win11.
It would not surprise me if Microsoft pushed the date of the Windows 10 EOL past October 2025, and they’ve done so before for other versions as I recall.

Until then we can enjoy a stable OS that just have security and bug fixes. :)

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Remember Windows 10 was to be the last versioning release, ever.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents, while I sympathize with the never ending new versions of Windows, we need to remember Microsoft is a company that's supposed to make as much profit as legally possible. They cannot do that here without coming up with new versions of their Operating System to sell.

While I think the forcing of folks to upgrade their hardware for "security reasons" walks the line on being bogus, and seems to be a juicy steak for it's OEM Partners (hello Intel, AMD, Dell, HP, Asus, Gigabyte, etc.), I guess their marketing plan was to draw a line in the sand and keep moving on towards new orders that are easier to support on these platforms.

While I focus exclusively on Windows Boxes to support close Friends and Family, I could see a lot of opposition to future Windows (12 anyone?) offerings if they start putting advertising on it. Corporate Customers would never stand for it distracting their employees from their assigned work. (It's hard enough for employers to keep their staff focused these days). If MS ever loses the corporate crowd, they will be in big trouble.

My take is we want to keep current enough so the operating system gets patches and updates to maintain itself securely. Right now Windows 10 is fine, but I recommend migrating for free, if you can, before it loses support in October 2025. By then hopefully the annoying bits of Windows 11 will be fixed. I have 11 on a couple personal Boxes and found the most annoying bits can be solved by installing StartAllBack which is amazing. My laptop is running 10 and it lacks the hardware required for 11. (I know there is a work around.) Maybe I'll just treat myself to a new Laptop in 2025 or so...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used Win7 until it stopped getting update support, then moved on to Win10. Will do the same w/ Win10 - move to Win11 until it stops getting support. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If MS ever loses the corporate crowd, they will be in big trouble.
Well, they might lose the corporate crowd. I would not be upset if it happened as they believe they are invincible and can do whatever they want. Many companies have been using a Linux based OS, and other companies' administrators could decide to switch over as well.

Governments of countries should enact laws obliging OS manufacturers to support all Operating Systems produced for a minimum period of so many years, not about only 5 years as is the case with Microsoft. IMO, at least 12 years would be reasonable.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like I can upgrade to Win11. So I just upgraded one of my HTPC’s to Win11 to test it.

I think I found one issue with Kodi.

For TV shows it shows the Show Name, Info, Poster and all that just like in Win10.

But for movies, it shows the movie Poster, Plot, Info, etc., but doesn’t show the movie names. Of course, the movie poster has the movie name on it, but the movie name isn’t showing in the movie info.

Edit: just did a Google search and saw that others are having the exact problem using the latest Kodi and Win11 - everything shows up except for the movie titles.

Yep. Bugs, bugs, bugs. Just keep Win10. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/1156w6m
https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/11j7lt1

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I used Win7 until it stopped getting update support, then moved on to Win10. Will do the same w/ Win10 - move to Win11 until it stops getting support. :D
I'm still using Win7 and it works fine. I also don't pay for office, I use OpenOffice and that's compatible for everything, although I had to convert a drawing to .pdf for a customer when I diagrammed his home network.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Win7 is still working "fine," but it doesn't receive any new security updates, so I'd be very careful if you insist on using it.
May even worth investing EU 25/year to get windows7 security patches from this service:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Win7 is still working "fine," but it doesn't receive any new security updates, so I'd be very careful if you insist on using it.
May even worth investing EU 25/year to get windows7 security patches from this service:

Not for my usage but there are people that still need to use Windows 7.

Most people, security wise, would be better off with an OS that is still supported.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis