Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Not for my usage but there are people that still need to use Windows 7.

Most people, security wise, would be better off with an OS that is still supported.
But if you are using an excellent antivirus/malware software, what would be the risks with a no longer supported OS?

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Still using a 2015 Pentium dual core desktop with Win 10 too old to upgrade to Win 11. I will use it until it dies but will have to get a new anti-virus app when Win Security Defender is no longer supported. The good news is that I also have a 2020 laptop with win 11 with MacAfee.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
But if you are using an excellent antivirus/malware software, what would be the risks with a no longer supported OS?
It is helpful, of course, with updated anti-virus/malware programs, but there have been many exploits that they cannot prevent.

One example is exploits of networking services in Windows that have happened many times. An antivirus program cannot help against this.

Various system libraries used by applications can have exploitable bugs and they are no longer updated, so another issue that can be impossible for antivirus to catch.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Still using a 2015 Pentium dual core desktop with Win 10 too old to upgrade to Win 11. I will use it until it dies but will have to get a new anti-virus app when Win Security Defender is no longer supported. The good news is that I also have a 2020 laptop with win 11 with MacAfee.
I've been using Malwarebytes Premium for about 15 years and I wouldn't use anything else. It is very reliable and the company is based in California.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've been using Malwarebytes Premium for about 15 years and I wouldn't use anything else. It is very reliable and the company is based in California.
Here is an article about Malwarebytes helping Nascar after a ransomware attack:

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
MacAfee :eek:

Windows Defender is quite good with good performance and no nagging.
True but win 10 will be no longer supported after 2025 so I would think defender support goes away also. Still, that's a lot of time to keep using my old desktop with defender.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'm really tired of MS coming out with 'the latest & greatest OS' and seeing that they completely changed the appearance, locations of just about everything and that it makes so many computers obsolete. It's like moving a blind person's furniture and they seem to think that we all have unlimited budget for hardware and time, or that we all have IT staff.
For the Lazy, before I upgraded, I went on Amazon and got and it made win 10-11 easier to grasp. OF course they do make a Win 11 for Dummies for Seniors.
Windows 11 All-in-One For Dummies Cheat Sheet

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Depends on you. If you want to use the new features of 11, yes. If not, no.

My work laptop is on 11, which was a surprise, and it works just fine.

I bought a few mini PCs for my girls and they came with 11. After removing all the bloat, they're solid little machines. Since my kids are all under 10, parental controls are a must. I have M365 family plan, and the controls they offer are excellent. My son's PC is windows 10 and it works, but it's not nearly as seamless.

However, if the rumors are true they're going to show ads on 11. If that happens, I'll just have to find a way to block them, but that still bugs me.
Well if ya see adds with 11, Settings, systems, Notification
  1. Click Notification from the right side and toggle off the button to stop getting notifications.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
True but win 10 will be no longer supported after 2025 so I would think defender support goes away also. Still, that's a lot of time to keep using my old desktop with defender.
Oh yes, defender support will go bye bye for 10.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Older programs and hardware don't always work with newer software and that makes them obsolete, but the software engineers and computer manufacturers don't care. Sometimes, implementing new programs and setting up new hardware takes too much time to be considered "in the budget".

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Still using my 2014 win 10 dual core desktop and my win 2020 win 11 quad core laptop. Both are working flawlessly. So ill replace whichever one fails first.

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
We have windows 11 on all our work machines. Even on our older all-in-one pcs.
Generally, windows 11 works well enough, but on the all-in-one pcs, they struggle so bad. They just about have the minimum specs to run, which means when you load up Chrome (our default browser), it chugs hard.

At home, I've stopped using Windows. I have Pop_OS on my main PC, and for tablets we use an iPad. Wife's laptop is running Windows 11, and hasn't had any problems using it so far.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Finally came around to upgrading my gaming PC to 11. It's fine. Everything works, so I'm good.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Ryzen 5900x
Gigabyte x570 Ultra
32gb Gskill DDR4
EVGA RTX 3070
Nice. BTW I spent almost 4 years at Randolph AFB and spent some time in New Braunfels. Used to love the clear water of the river and Worstfest. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nice. BTW I spent almost 4 years at Randolph AFB and spent some time in New Braunfels. Used to love the clear water of the river and Worstfest. :)
It's nice, but man are all the events crowded as hell now. It's also so hot that sometimes it's not worth going outside, which sucks.

Having said that, this year we'll try to make to everything in town. We did good last year, but hopefully we can find the "down times" to go to some of the more popular things.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis