davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Yep, has to be an intel gen 9 or better. I snuck in with my laptop gen 9 but md ole desktop gen 2 or 3 didn't make the cut.

N

NataleeSkinner

Audiophyte
I'm curious to know how your experience has been so far. Has everything been running smoothly? I think I should get a windows 11 key cheap too. I hope Microsoft has fixed all those bugs Windows 11 used to have. How's it going?

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Microsoft is only interested in money. It's about time countries enact laws obliging any company producing operating systems to support its newly released OS for 25 years, nothing less. Unfortunately, money rules the planet. I started to use Ubuntu and when I am no longer able to use Windows 10 on two computers, I'll switch to Ubuntu, a free and stable OS.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
TL.DR: I've recently switched to Win11 on a new PC, and it's okay. But nothing to write home about vs Win10.

Long story:
At my previous job, we bought these HP "light gaming" desktops four years ago. The reason for the "gaming" part is these machines came with an i7 cpu, 32 GB RAM, decent SSD, and supported 3-4 monitors out of the box for a reasonable price (compared to Z workstation prices). The issue was that ALL 6-8 machines kept getting blue screens. During BIOS and software updates nothing to fix the issue. I suspected some thermal issue.
So, I bought my motherboard (Asus Prime Z370-A- II). and a cheap air cooler (cooler master I think) The rest of the parts came from one of these PCs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 (not K), 32 GB DDR4 RAM, NVMe SSD. My old GPU GTX1080.
Installed win10 then upgraded to win11. So far, there have been no issues or blue screens of death.

I may like it more if the EDGE browser has fewer annoying and constant pop-ups.
But outside of work stuff (Edge does a really good job integrating with M365 and Azure stuff) - I fully switched my daily browser to Firefox, and it also works fine.

jinjuku

jinjuku

reasonable price (compared to Z workstation prices)
The used / refurbed Z workstations are now an incredible value. Running an Z840 with 2X 2970v4 14C/28HT, 128GB DDR 4 ECC, 1TB NVME and did it for $~650. Thing is a beast and it's quiet.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
TL.DR: I've recently switched to Win11 on a new PC, and it's okay. But nothing to write home about vs Win10.

Long story:
At my previous job, we bought these HP "light gaming" desktops four years ago. The reason for the "gaming" part is these machines came with an i7 cpu, 32 GB RAM, decent SSD, and supported 3-4 monitors out of the box for a reasonable price (compared to Z workstation prices). The issue was that ALL 6-8 machines kept getting blue screens. During BIOS and software updates nothing to fix the issue. I suspected some thermal issue.
So, I bought my motherboard (Asus Prime Z370-A- II). and a cheap air cooler (cooler master I think) The rest of the parts came from one of these PCs:
Installed win10 then upgraded to win11. So far, there have been no issues or blue screens of death.

But outside of work stuff (Edge does a really good job integrating with M365 and Azure stuff) - I fully switched my daily browser to Firefox, and it also works fine.
Your migration to a Asus Prime Z370-A- II, struck a nerve with me.

After building my new Box in the spring around the Intel Core i7-12700KF Processor & ASUS TUF Gaming Z690with much success, when my son's Gamer Box failed to climb above the minimum specs for Starfield, he had me build him a new rig around the Intel Core i7-13700KF Processor which included a GPU that cost almost $1,200.00 CAN :eek: . (He paid for all the parts.) It is amazing with CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 6400MHz CL32 Intel XMP iCUE, a couple of quick M.2 SSDs; all on an ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WiFi Motherboard. (My Box is just a step behind, but I don't game with it.)

Anyway, the deal is when he gets me to build him a new Box, or upgrade his old one, I get the old gear. This time he went 100% new so I have the old Box with a Asus Prime Z370-A. (I see the difference with the Prime Z370-A-II is really about VRM stability with Gen 9 Processors.) It was about 5 years old and running Windows 10 Pro. (Yes, he's now struggling to learn Windows 11 but he'll get there. I gave him his new Box to go gaming last Sunday, and he's been on it ever since.) I did a little research and the Prime Z370-A is Windows 11 capable with just a Bios upgrade, and the Intel i5-8600K is supported as well. So you don't need a 9th Gen Intel CPU Gents.

For grins, after a Bios Upgrade, I did a "PC Health Check" in Windows 10 as I've never let Windows upgrade an OS in decades, as I'm a clean install advocate. I let it download Windows 11 and it installed routinely and automatically restarted a few times to get there. I left the room and went about my business, and came back and it was done. My plan is still to do a clean install, as my wife's Box is not Windows 11 compatible, and this will make a good replacement for her. (She also has a Laptop that I bought her for Christmas two years ago that will be upgraded to Windows 11 when she is ready.)

I must say I didn't like the "Right Click" changes so much in Windows 11 that I installed StartAllBack and it's been fabulous. I haven't told my son about it too much as I'm concerned it may interfere with some games, but I don't know.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Long story:

My new work laptop came with 11 and we are restricted to Edge only. I do have admin rights, but I haven't had anything to complain about the newer Edge so far. Plus, as you said, it works very well with all the M365 stuff we rely on.

My main PC is still 10. No real reason to change it yet. My kid's PCs are all 11 and the family M365 stuff is pretty sweet. They finally have Minecraft, but everything is restricted outside local play, which is pretty slick. They also have to "ask an adult" when installing apps, so that made that easy. I'm able to restrict Edge on their PCs too.

I wish Google's stuff worked this well.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My new work laptop came with 11 and we are restricted to Edge only. I do have admin rights, but I haven't had anything to complain about the newer Edge so far. Plus, as you said, it works very well with all the M365 stuff we rely on.

My main PC is still 10. No real reason to change it yet. My kid's PCs are all 11 and the family M365 stuff is pretty sweet. They finally have Minecraft, but everything is restricted outside local play, which is pretty slick. They also have to "ask an adult" when installing apps, so that made that easy. I'm able to restrict Edge on their PCs too.

I wish Google's stuff worked this well.
With Windows 11, while you can't use Google can you take Firefox as browser?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I use Ubuntu 20 as my main rig. I have a Windows 10 instance that I run in KVM for somethings there isn't a good Linux equivalent of (Notepad++, Putty, Intangi, Ekahau).

I have a company laptop that runs Win 10 but I only use it occasionally.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well just updated my Windows 10 desktop to 11. Fast, and so far NO issues, everything is working. , fingers crossed.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm really tired of MS coming out with 'the latest & greatest OS' and seeing that they completely changed the appearance, locations of just about everything and that it makes so many computers obsolete. It's like moving a blind person's furniture and they seem to think that we all have unlimited budget for hardware and time, or that we all have IT staff.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'm really tired of MS coming out with 'the latest & greatest OS' and seeing that they completely changed the appearance, locations of just about everything and that it makes so many computers obsolete. It's like moving a blind person's furniture and they seem to think that we all have unlimited budget for hardware and time, or that we all have IT staff.
I suggest you try Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. It's a Linux based free and stable OS and I'm running it on my desktop PC. Jinjuku has also been using it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I do have IT staff. Me. Sadly.

highfigh

highfigh

Small world :)
No kidding....same here and I never meant to need more support, although I do have friends who have more advanced knowledge, so that helps. Plus, there's always the World Wide Wait, AKA the Information Super Driveway, as a local college radio station DJ calls it.

highfigh

highfigh

I suggest you try Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. It's a Linux based free and stable OS and I'm running it on my desktop PC. Jinjuku has also been using it.
I'll look into it- haven't really checked out Linux in years, although the music server I used runs on it, but a much earlier version since it was made in 2007. Being purpose-built, it still works fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis