Will Marantz MM-7025 paired with Marantz SR7011 improve sound quality?

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
I'm considering purchasing the Marantz MM-7025 & pairing it up with my Marantz SR-7011. Will the 7025 significantly improve the music sound quality? I'm primarily concerned listening to music with 2 channels even tho I also listen to it with my 7.1. Most my listening is country & classic rock, classic rock for me is 60's & 70's.

I listen between low-mid volume levels (25-50 volume setting) through my Klipsch Chorus II speakers (sensitivity @ 96), room size 15'x17'x7.8' high.
AV.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Short answer is no. Any improvement to sound quality is going to come from speakers. Whether you upgrade your existing ones or get them out from behind the furniture, out of the corners a bit. I think you can realize some significant improvements just moving some stuff around.

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
Short answer is no. Any improvement to sound quality is going to come from speakers. Whether you upgrade your existing ones or get them out from behind the furniture, out of the corners a bit. I think you can realize some significant improvements just moving some stuff around.
Right now, my sound quality is great. Just wondering if sound quality would improve with the addition of the Marantz amp with leaving speakers in their current placements. Thanks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's generally considered that electronics won't change the sound quality... that is the domain of the speakers and how they interact with the room.

Also in terms of power requirements, though Klipsch is known to fudge the sensitivity spec, you are likely not using a watt per speaker, based on what you described as your listening habits. (Most of us switch the volume dislpay option so we see the dBs listed against reference level (-10dB for example, is where I tend to listen at). Adding an Amp, you would just be paying for additional wattage that you are already not using on your AVR.

Hope this helps!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
That would probably be a sidegrade not neccessarily an upgrade.
Work on the room a bit with a rug on the floor and sofas not obstructing the speakers.
A beefier amp might be an upgrade but room will give more for less or free.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Right now, my sound quality is great. Just wondering if sound quality would improve with the addition of the Marantz amp with leaving speakers in their current placements. Thanks.
No. The SR7011 is a very good receiver already and adding the stereo receiver would amount to basically a lateral move. Adding more or different power doesn't improve on sound quality unless your current amplification struggles at very high volumes. Given a choice I'd rather have the 7011.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A beefier amp might be an upgrade but room will give more for less or free.
An upgrade in components maybe, but not sound quality. I agree moving some stuff around in that room would be a far better solution to improve on the sound.

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
It's generally considered that electronics won't change the sound quality... that is the domain of the speakers and how they interact with the room.

Also in terms of power requirements, though Klipsch is known to fudge the sensitivity spec, you are likely not using a watt per speaker, based on what you described as your listening habits. (Most of us switch the volume dislpay option so we see the dBs listed against reference level (-10dB for example, is where I tend to listen at). Adding an Amp, you would just be paying for additional wattage that you are already not using on your AVR.

Hope this helps!
I understand. I read reviews saying how a separate amp have improved their music sound qualities, but I imagine their are variables involved (a/v receivers, intergraded amps, preamps qualities).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Hope this helps!
Everyone wants to drop 100s of dollars on amplification but no one wants to try moving things around a little bit, lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand. I read reviews saying how a separate amp have improved their music sound qualities, but I imagine their are variables involved (a/v receivers, intergraded amps, preamps qualities).
There are other variables. The placebo effect and expectation bias are the biggest ones when you read stuff like that. To truly be able to make such claims a true DBT should be performed and almost no one who makes those claims has done one.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Totally agree with @Pogre. I would start by moving the speakers out of the corners, and not firing into the coach ends(plus they could be boomy. Looks like a suspended wood floor). Then I would put down an area rug. I’m sure there’s lots of floor bounce, and interaction with the ceiling because of that too. I would start there, and that stuff is free. Imo, at the levels you’re listening at, there’s no way you’ll benefit from an amp.
You said sound quality is great, but here we are lol. Dealing with a room is FAR more beneficial than spending money on gear. Don’t get me wrong, people should use good equipment, but that’s probably the smallest contributor to sound, after the initial hit of buying something decent.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another no vote. Especially at your listening levels with those speakers. The more powerful amp thing can have benefits, but the amp you're talking about is barely more powerful than the amp in your avr already (consider it takes a doubling of amp power to make a 3dB difference in spl).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed with others, short answer is no. If you look at soundandvision.com's measurements, the SR7011 may actually be a touch more powerful than the MM7055, and the 7055 is basically a 7025 with 3 more amp channels.

SR7011:

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 138.7 watts
1% distortion at 169.1 watts

Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches
0.1% distortion at 203.5 watts
1% distortion at 232.2 watts.

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 104.9 watts
1% distortion at 117.0 watts

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7011-av-receiver-review-test-bench#owRJ11BeDSVDRxQg.99

MM7055:

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1 % distortion at 130.7 watts
1% distortion at 152.8 watts.

Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches
0.1%distortion at 215.8 watts
1% distortion at 236.4

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 107.8 watts
1% distortion at 117.8 watts

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av7005-surround-processor-and-mm7055-amplifier-ht-labs-measures#SrIjp28WM6Tg8t9v.99

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7011-av-receiver-review-test-bench#frod5YUUzJ9raDrh.99

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another no vote. Especially at your listening levels with those speakers. The more powerful amp thing can have benefits, but the amp you're talking about is barely more powerful than the amp in your avr already (consider it takes a doubling of amp power to make a 3dB difference in spl).
Yup. What do you think about him getting those speakers from behind the furniture? Or even sliding the couches further out from them. There are a few placement no-nos in that pic!

@StratCountry Bill makes a fair point. You said you think they sound great, but you are here asking about ways to improve your sq... I think that you can make bigger improvements moving some stuff around than you realize. When I said "significant" earlier I meant it. I'm not talking a total room rehaul (maybe, lol),but you could start out just sliding a few things around for not a lot of effort and you might be surprised.

The way the speakers couple with the room is everything and where they sit now they're basically being smothered by pillows. More description of the room and/or a couple more pics and we might be able to help you come up with a solution that's both aesthetically pleasing and really improve the sound quality by maximizing your system.

*Edit: Just noticed you did give us your room measurements. I missed that the first time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yup. What do you think about him getting those speakers from behind the furniture? Or even sliding the couches further out from them. There are a few placement no-nos in that pic!

@StratCountry Bill makes a fair point. You said you think they sound great, but you are here asking for ways to improve your sq... I think that you can make bigger improvements moving some stuff around than you realize. When I said "significant" earlier I meant it. I'm not talking a total room rehaul (maybe, lol), but you could start out just sliding a few things around for not a lot of effort and you might be surprised.

The way the speakers couple with the room is everything and where they sit now they're basically being smothered by pillows. More description of the room and/or a couple more pics and we might be able to help you come up with a solution that's both aesthetically pleasing and really improve the sound quality by maximizing your system.
Sometimes room decor trumps best audio? If not getting them from out behind the furniture, perhaps just raise them a bit, and I don't want bare wood floors, much prefer carpeting.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers, any speakers pack in corners like that will be bass, heavy, boomy, even mid bass will be off. I would believe at reference levels or above reference, sound stage has to be all over the room. Your getting some really great advice from the member's on AH. I would definitely pull them speakers out of the corners, even put them on isolation pads up some or even tilted back a little bit and toe them in 15% minimum.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the biggest improvement in sound quality will be to add a large thick area rug on all hard surface floors.

Adding the Marantz AVR-derived amp will improve exactly 0.0%.

Last edited:
S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
Everyone wants to drop 100s of dollars on amplification but no one wants to try moving things around a little bit, lol.
I'd ask the same question even if speakers, furniture, sound mats etc. were already in ideal places. I only wanted to know if separate power amps do improve sound quality when connected to an a/v receiver or intergraded amp.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I'd ask the same question even if speakers, furniture, sound mats etc. were already in ideal places. I only wanted to know if separate power amps do improve sound quality when connected to an a/v receiver or intergraded amp.
They can yes, but a sizeable step up in power compared to the AVR is usually best. Around 200-250w and up with generous powersupplies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis