Why do you want to own an Assault Rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
There are some good points made in this thread about guns and other aspects that tie in. Here are my thoughts...

1. I would like to see more mandatory training for firearm owners. I grew up with guns and bows, etc. I have a very healthy respect for them and the people I hunt with and shoot with all have a similar respect for safety. I have been at a range for practice during the gun buying craze and half the shoppers I saw should not own guns. They are afraid of them and when you are afraid, it's easy to make a fatal mistake.

2. I don't see any need for accessories like a bump stock as used in Vegas. I'm very comfortable if those get outlawed.

3. The debate over silencers is stupid. Silencers are not silent. An un-silenced 9mm handgun will cause you to jump and fall out of bed. A silenced 9mm handgun will cause the same result due to the noise. Only difference is the one with a silencer won't have your ears ringing for 30 minutes afterwards.

4. An AR style rifle makes a lousy self-defense weapon. Old fashioned shotguns are the best followed by a handgun. Nothing will give a criminal pause than the sound of a shell being jacked into a 12 ga pump shotgun.

5. Highfigh was spot on about the guns being trafficked by the gangs. More laws won't stop that. In SE Wisconsin, the crime has gotten worse and is spreading. It's mostly juveniles who were not punished for past crimes but are let out because "oh they are just kids who don't have a father and live in poverty and it would be wrong to punish them..." so they learned alright...learned nothing will happen to them so the keep going until they get killed or get arrested because they killed someone. Hell, 3 different car dealerships were targeted last night. All same thing...kids from the hood looking to steal cars for kicks.

6. More important than new gun laws should be mandatory driver training with driving tests every 10 years. More people are killed in auto accidents than shootings by almost a 4:1 ratio. I saw a non-fatal accident just this morning. I could pontificate but this is long already.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It's more about the store bought race cars and bolt on and bottled horsepower told what to do by a computer. Crate motors delivered to your door with every HP and torque curve imaginable

Hundreds and thousands of horsepower driving around on a traffic grid. . . .I'm sorry if I don't find that as exciting as what guys were creating with off the shelf factory parts just a few decades ago.

Same with guns. It's become too predictable. Not my fault.
We used "bottled horsepower" on $90K engines in Pro-Mod. It's either that or Blowers/Nitro. Both blow up the second it leans out so it's not predictable at all. As a driver, I know the Nads it takes to drive a car that goes over 200 mph in 6 seconds. Not a single run is predictable.

That being said, my Sponsor built all of my engines and I have never purchased a crate motor but if I was building a street car, I would in a second flat.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When I hear gun rights zealots say that the Las Vegas mass slaughter is the price of freedom, I get angry.

The Constitution does not require us to face the daily risk of being the next victims of a mass shooting.

In the past five years, about seven times more Americans have been killed in mass shootings (1,715) than were killed in military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan (260).

Never mind that other countries – England, France, Germany – manage to be free countries without enduring anywhere near the number of mass killings that have become routine here. The USA has had nearly double the number of mass shootings of 24 other wealthy industrialized nations – combined – over the past 30 years.

That seems to be an extraordinarily high price.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'll answer the "og" question. I own several guns, only 3 that "look" like or could be possibly assault weapons. The 3 assault weapons are all for fun except the Remington 870 shotgun.
https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-express-tactical
Sig 522 target use
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/7/1/sig-522-classic/
MP556 for target
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

None of which is more capable of than my deer rifle, 2 gens removed

http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/mark-vr-tacmark-elite.html

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
When I hear gun rights zealots say that the Las Vegas mass slaughter is the price of freedom, I get angry.

The Constitution does not require us to face the daily risk of being the next victims of a mass shooting.

In the past five years, about seven times more Americans have been killed in mass shootings (1,715) than were killed in military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan (260).

Never mind that other countries – England, France, Germany – manage to be free countries without enduring anywhere near the number of mass killings that have become routine here. The USA has had nearly double the number of mass shootings of 24 other wealthy industrialized nations – combined – over the past 30 years.

That seems to be an extraordinarily high price.
I sometimes wonder that if our history as a country went as far back and as bloody as a lot of the EU countries maybe we wouldn't feel the way we do?

I think the logic of "well, if the bad guys have guns I should too" isn't wrong. There are sites dedicated to when guns STOPPED what could have been mass shootings.

We've got to find a way to get the guns out of the hands of the people that intend to use them on others. Once we do that, maybe the folks that have them as protection won't feel the need to any longer. Sad thing is though, with the perception that some have of the police, we'd still need protection from those that uphold the law. This is from someone who's father-in-law is a state trooper. I've heard plenty of stories where guys are WAY too quick to draw their gun. That fear of the general population from the police isn't unfounded either. Especially when they get snuck up on in their cars and shot for no reason.

It's just a huge, terrible circle of fear. We would all have to come together as a society to fix it. We can't even agree to whether or not (insert non-offensive thing that for some reason that one guy found offensive so we can't do/say it anymore) is OK.

Heck, I'll use Halloween as an example. When I was a kid, we had Halloween carnivals at school. When I was 8 (still vividly remember this) my teacher told us point blank that "Halloween is apparently offensive to some people so now it's a "fall festival" ". Same exact thing, different name. Stupid.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'll answer the "og" question. I own several guns, only 3 that "look" like or could be possibly assault weapons. The 3 assault weapons are all for fun except the Remington 870 shotgun.
https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-express-tactical
Sig 522 target use
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/7/1/sig-522-classic/
MP556 for target
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

None of which is more capable of than my deer rifle, 2 gens removed

http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/mark-vr-tacmark-elite.html
I've got a tactical 870, fine shotty! Mine is the 18" barrel and I have the through-thumb stock on it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've got a tactical 870, fine shotty! Mine is the 18" barrel and I have the through-thumb stock on it.
The 18 is the preferred it seems. I use the urbino stock and it's pretty comfortable after emptying the chamber.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry that you're pissed, really. But I want to go over a couple of things regarding the following points.

The total wounded in those wars is ~ 1,000,000 (quick search). How many of those guys got shipped out and ended up dying out of country, consequently not being counted as dying "in Iraq and Afghanistan"? I suspect the number of dead is kept purposely low.

My question here would be about the population of those countries compared to the states. Saying 24 countries is misleading. No doubt The States still has bad numbers but we're not 24 times worse. I'm not sure how to ask the question but population density is a consideration for me. Luxembourg has a pop. density of 583/mi^2 while NYC is 27,000/mi^2. Now I'm using numbers unfairly but I admit that the question is a little complicated for me. The answers therefore are way outside of my grasp.

Note: I don't own guns. Nobody needs to worry. And I'm probably a liberal. :confused:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry that you're pissed, really. But I want to go over a couple of things regarding the following points.

The total wounded in those wars is ~ 1,000,000 (quick search). How many of those guys got shipped out and ended up dying out of country, consequently not being counted as dying "in Iraq and Afghanistan"? I suspect the number of dead is kept purposely low.

My question here would be about the population of those countries compared to the states. Saying 24 countries is misleading. No doubt The States still has bad numbers but we're not 24 times worse. I'm not sure how to ask the question but population density is a consideration for me. Luxembourg has a pop. density of 583/mi^2 while NYC is 27,000/mi^2. Now I'm using numbers unfairly but I admit that the question is a little complicated for me. The answers therefore are way outside of my grasp.

Note: I don't own guns. Nobody needs to worry. And I'm probably a liberal. :confused:
Sounds like smoke and mirrors, like your trying to steal Speakers not Guns

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
There are some good points made in this thread about guns and other aspects that tie in. Here are my thoughts...

1. I would like to see more mandatory training for firearm owners. I grew up with guns and bows, etc. I have a very healthy respect for them and the people I hunt with and shoot with all have a similar respect for safety. I have been at a range for practice during the gun buying craze and half the shoppers I saw should not own guns. They are afraid of them and when you are afraid, it's easy to make a fatal mistake.

2. I don't see any need for accessories like a bump stock as used in Vegas. I'm very comfortable if those get outlawed.

3. The debate over silencers is stupid. Silencers are not silent. An un-silenced 9mm handgun will cause you to jump and fall out of bed. A silenced 9mm handgun will cause the same result due to the noise. Only difference is the one with a silencer won't have your ears ringing for 30 minutes afterwards.

4. An AR style rifle makes a lousy self-defense weapon. Old fashioned shotguns are the best followed by a handgun. Nothing will give a criminal pause than the sound of a shell being jacked into a 12 ga pump shotgun.

5. Highfigh was spot on about the guns being trafficked by the gangs. More laws won't stop that. In SE Wisconsin, the crime has gotten worse and is spreading. It's mostly juveniles who were not punished for past crimes but are let out because "oh they are just kids who don't have a father and live in poverty and it would be wrong to punish them..." so they learned alright...learned nothing will happen to them so the keep going until they get killed or get arrested because they killed someone. Hell, 3 different car dealerships were targeted last night. All same thing...kids from the hood looking to steal cars for kicks.

6. More important than new gun laws should be mandatory driver training with driving tests every 10 years. More people are killed in auto accidents than shootings by almost a 4:1 ratio. I saw a non-fatal accident just this morning. I could pontificate but this is long already.
Yes, I too grew up with guns, my father was a gunsmith (ME too) and trained SWAT teams and tactical forces. Two things I was taught. First, the best home defense is a shotgun, a short barrel preferably. It's hard to miss someone coming down the hallway with it. Second, if you have to pull it out, use it and shoot to kill. Period.

In the state I'm in you have to go to hunter safety if you're under 18. I wouldn't have a problem if you had to have a license for a gun. And had to be re-certified periodically. (I often wonder if there was a big debate when they decides you needed a license to drive?)

I agree that there should be better and a more comprehensive driving test along with stronger laws. How many people go to jail for negligent killing of someone while they were driving? Someone speeding and runs a light and kills a pedestrian or someone in another car and it's an accident? How's that? They should be in jail. That's not an accident.

I don't buy into the only criminals would have guns argument. Sure it will be problematic at first because all the arms that are already out there. However, amo can be controlled also by also needing a license to buy it. I'm sure there's a black market for bullets too, and explosives, and anything else you can imagine. That does not mean we shouldn't try and regulate (not ban) it.

One thing that is clear is that if you're a white natural born American you're not being watched to closely. You can buy as many arms and as much amo as you'd like without raising a flag. I'm sure people will argue this too, but if it were high explosives would you be ok with it?

And the mosquito kill more people a year than people killing people. Just thought I'd throw that it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I don't know where this guy is from, but around here, shotguns like he has are used for shooting quail, duck, and deer! A Sawed-off shotgun is what you'd use for home intruders!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know where this guy is from, but around here, shotguns like he has are used for shooting quail, duck, and deer! A Sawed-off shotgun is what you'd use for home intruders!
Right? But that'd get you in hot water, wouldn't it? They've got these 'Shorty' shotguns that are cool AF but they're illegal in RI. I bet I could shoot one single handed with my right hand.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds like smoke and mirrors, like your trying to steal Speakers not Guns
You got me. Swerd and KEW have both been victims of my sonic larceny ... Dennis too now that I think about it ... and TLSguy if intellectual property counts.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, it seems pretty likely that our Base10 number system was a natural extension of counting on your fingers.

American units of HP = SI units of Watts! HP is a measurement of POWER, Watts also measure POWER. Power is a rate of work per unit of time (J/s), Joules are the SI units for work, while the American units are ergs.

You illustrate my point with that question!
I'll have you know that it was over 45 years ago that I was in high school!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
We used "bottled horsepower" on $90K engines in Pro-Mod. It's either that or Blowers/Nitro. Both blow up the second it leans out so it's not predictable at all. As a driver, I know the Nads it takes to drive a car that goes over 200 mph in 6 seconds. Not a single run is predictable.

That being said, my Sponsor built all of my engines and I have never purchased a crate motor but if I was building a street car, I would in a second flat.
$90k engines. . . . that kind of makes my point

200 mph in 6 seconds. It's been done ad nauseam. That's the predictable part. The other predictable part is what the end result is going to be because the computer will tell you pretty much what it's going to be. It's been done to death, just like assault rifles.

The nads it takes to drive a car 200 mph in 6 seconds? It takes nads to drive in rush hour on our interstate system with cell phone drivers these days, if you have any sense. It may take nads, but it's a choice of an adrenaline junkie. They don't 'have' to do that.

I own a hot rod and have owned others in my past, including a stage 3, CB 750 (1000 cc) Honda motorcycle. Plus an H2 750 triple Kawasaki that I spent rebuilding from a basket case in my bedroom for a year. My 70 Bronco Sport, has a pre-smog (now 10.5:1 because I had to use it for work for 11 years) 351c. All rebuilt and blueprinted by me, as was the top loader 4spd (they never came with a 4 spd) that's in it, including the custom shift linkages for the Hurst super shifter 2. The Nodular 9" with the 40 spline axles and suspension was set up by me.

I have also fab'd and repaired a lot of stuff for go-fast marine teams. Drag boats, hydros, offshore, you name it. I've Siamese'd together FI velocity stacks, all kinds of plumbing for turbos and blowers, intercoolers, sump tanks, roll cages and have pretty much seen it all by now.

Still, I find all this purified and sterilized crap boring and predictable. I can't help it. It tries too hard, just to end up being more of the same. That's pretty much exactly the way I feel about assault styled weapons.

The Sharps rifle, or an Ithaca Damascus Dbl barrel, now those are works of mechanical art.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Very well written. 100% of your arguments are on target.

Where are you located by the way? I don't know anyone in the UK who does not think loose gun ownership is not the "Great American Tragedy." They are correct, but the country has a fatal blind spot.
I'm in Croatia. This will also be my answer to @panteragstk

Wrt your first point, Americans are portrayed badly because so many ARE bad. The whole problem with comparing one country's population with ours is that the people aren't remotely the same. Oh, sure, some are very similar, but we have people who won't allow others to live in peace.

WRT your comment about your low number of gun tragedies, I wish the same. However, it will take a very long time to get there for this country. Confiscation won't result in gathering ALL of the guns- I guarantee it. People will hide them and avoid using whatever they kept for a time, but they WILL be used again. They do it now- felons aren't allowed to have guns, but the high number of gun crimes committed by felons involve guns. They hide, trade, sell, destroy the evidence often and that makes another conviction more difficult. Many of the guns used in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area come from Chicago and other parts of the country, often transported by gangs, for gang use. Unless those people can be followed 24 hours/day, it's not going to stop and since we have the 4th and 6th Amendments, searches must come with a warrant. I would bet that if they did block by block searches, they would cut crime by 30%, maybe more.

Mental illness comes with too much of a stigma for people to willingly tell others when a family member or friend shows signs of problems but IMO, no 'sane' person would buy 30+ guns in a short time (unless it was part of a valuable collection) and shoot more than 600 people. If they were sane before, they weren't at the time of the incident.

Do a google search for weapons used in US murders- here's a link from the FBI-

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2010-2014.xls

If guns are no longer available, it woin't stop murders, but it will cut the number- it's still a problem of people not being able to think of a different way to solve a problem.

Re: No Laws, no criminals, you're wrong- THEY owned slaves. In the past. However, because traditions and customs sometimes take a long time to die, people would still want top own slaves, if they could. Don't generalize so broadly.

WRT your comments about the gun narrative- IMO, if someone carries a gun, they need to be ready to use it, but ONLY if they are able to use it without spraying bullets and hitting something other than their intended target. The US has had a big problem with stray bullets hitting innocent bystanders & non-targets, which has resulted in tens of thousands of deaths in the last couple of decades. If they aren't proficient, they shouldn't be allowed to carry. Even well-trained (in theory) people don't hit the target when under stress and one example is when a bank robbery occurred in New York City- the police fired at the robbers and hit nine pedestrians.

Some people are too gung ho to own and carry guns, but the root of the problem is that people are ultimately at fault. Read the online news from any major city and you'll see events that should never happen.

I agree with most of what you wrote. I don't think stray bullets are to blame, though.

But there's one thing a bit unclear. I have a feeling we're saying the same thing in regards to no laws = no crime. I'm saying "no laws = no crimes" is faulty. Slaves being an excellent example as it shows that traditions can change and at the same time that those who didn't change their ways are prevented by law to do wrong. So good laws = less crime and change is possible is what I'm saying.

Also, you bolded some passages on children in America, but you didn't comment. Maybe it got lost due to length. If you're still up for it, let me know why you marked those sentences.

I sometimes wonder that if our history as a country went as far back and as bloody as a lot of the EU countries maybe we wouldn't feel the way we do?

I think the logic of "well, if the bad guys have guns I should too" isn't wrong. There are sites dedicated to when guns STOPPED what could have been mass shootings.

We've got to find a way to get the guns out of the hands of the people that intend to use them on others. Once we do that, maybe the folks that have them as protection won't feel the need to any longer. Sad thing is though, with the perception that some have of the police, we'd still need protection from those that uphold the law. This is from someone who's father-in-law is a state trooper. I've heard plenty of stories where guys are WAY too quick to draw their gun. That fear of the general population from the police isn't unfounded either. Especially when they get snuck up on in their cars and shot for no reason.

It's just a huge, terrible circle of fear. We would all have to come together as a society to fix it. We can't even agree to whether or not (insert non-offensive thing that for some reason that one guy found offensive so we can't do/say it anymore) is OK.

Heck, I'll use Halloween as an example. When I was a kid, we had Halloween carnivals at school. When I was 8 (still vividly remember this) my teacher told us point blank that "Halloween is apparently offensive to some people so now it's a "fall festival" ". Same exact thing, different name. Stupid.
You shouldn't accept this "violent history" argument. I've heard it numerous times, but only from those who want their guns. I'm a bit ashamed for what I'm about to write, but I will as it may be beneficial. Croatia was Hitler's ally. A horrible fascist state with local fascist government. We didn't have German Nazis come over and occupy like in France or Poland. We did it ourselves. The level of industrial scale genocide and the monstrous devices for the execution of said genocide made even some Nazi officials uneasy. That's for the violent history. Our last war was also dirty as hell. Immediately after the last war there were few executions (underground style), but those were lose ends of the war pertaining to weapon smuggling and such. Twenty seven years have passed (quite a period) and you could count killings by hands. I know we're a small country, but even if you take it by percentage the difference is drastic.

Also these cases are useless. I bet you could find one where guns caused tragedy for every each one of those where guns stopped the tragedy. (My bet is actually 10:1 in favour of guns causing tragedies) This is the right equation: no guns = no gun tragedies to be stopped by guns and no guns = no gun tragedies. And even stray bullets come from guns.

Now we have a President who is a gun-happy, U.S. Republican far right admirer, so it all may change. :) (yes, the red dress idiot running after Trump in all those pictures)

As I and many others in this thread said, you'd like tragedies to stop or drop in numbers, but even giving up one useless hobby and a form of entertainment seems to be too much. I'm an archer. Shoot bows, that's beautiful for marksmanship.

Don't get entangled in every "red herring" someone wants you to get entangled in. You have companies who want to see America as a market and sell their guns. That's all there is to it. It's Al Capone getting his hands on Tommy guns all over again. It's about sales.

I can't believe every time anyone wants Americans to do something he just drops the "freedom" bomb. Freedom to bear arms makes you less free. Sure, you can buy a gun, but can you go downtown L.A.? Can you walk through the underpass without looking over your shoulder at night? How about gas stop at 03:00am? Subway? Projects? And you say you're free and I'm not?

Who is preventing you to connect the dots? Who is saying you shouldn't rule on guns after a tragedy and when there's no tragedy then there's other things to worry about? It's under the carpet, under the carpet... Shut up, buy guns and kill yourselves. Who is mass-producing justifications, excuses, arguments? Who is constantly offering reasons to buy more, buy big, change nothing, see everything as infringement?

That's the mouth to put a cork in.

HOWEVER, the fact that I got one "disagree" still makes me think this debate is a good one. Civilised and tolerant enough. Sure, Steve says he removed several posts, but those I can't judge, I haven't seen them.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I believe that most states limit a shotgun barrel to no shorter than 18".

Yes, a tactical shotgun is definitely your best bet for home defense. Swinging around and pointing a long gun in a tight space is very difficult. Also, you do not want a powerful round to penetrate sheetrock walls and harm people in the other rooms. Shotguns are great at short range, and are less likely to go through the wall into other rooms.

I also have a Taurus Judge! Great snake gun for sure. Mine has a red-dot laser on it. It can should 45LC or 410 shot shells. A hand-held pistol shotgun, gets around the shot gun regulations.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

200 mph in 6 seconds. It's been done ad nauseam. That's the predictable part. The other predictable part is what the end result is going to be because the computer will tell you pretty much what it's going to be. It's been done to death, just like assault rifles.

The nads it takes to drive a car 200 mph in 6 seconds? It takes nads to drive in rush hour on our interstate system with cell phone drivers these days, if you have any sense. It may take nads, but it's a choice of an adrenaline junkie. They don't 'have' to do that.

I own a hot rod and have owned others in my past, including a stage 3, CB 750 (1000 cc) Honda motorcycle. Plus an H2 750 triple Kawasaki that I spent rebuilding from a basket case in my bedroom for a year. My 70 Bronco Sport, has a pre-smog (now 10.5:1 because I had to use it for work for 11 years) 351c. All rebuilt and blueprinted by me, as was the top loader 4spd (they never came with a 4 spd) that's in it, including the custom shift linkages for the Hurst super shifter 2. The Nodular 9" with the 40 spline axles and suspension was set up by me.

I have also fab'd and repaired a lot of stuff for go-fast marine teams. Drag boats, hydros, offshore, you name it. I've Siamese'd together FI velocity stacks, all kinds of plumbing for turbos and blowers, intercoolers, sump tanks, roll cages and have pretty much seen it all by now.

Still, I find all this purified and sterilized crap boring and predictable. I can't help it. It tries too hard, just to end up being more of the same. That's pretty much exactly the way I feel about assault styled weapons.

The Sharps rifle, or an Ithaca Damascus Dbl barrel, now those are works of mechanical art.

Yeah, I kind of agree on the ARs. But, the beauty of the AR platform is the limitless customization.

Now, I completely agree on polymer pistols. I have exactly 1 polymer pistol, a Springfield XD 45. After that, it's just more of the same, and I prefer good old steel.

B

BigBallin

Enthusiast
To defend yourself And your family if things go out of control sideways. As a man I want to always be able to have the upper hand if push comes to shove and not be forced to rely on law enforcement. And I’m not talking about that event where the neighbor pisses me off or something petty like that. I’m talking about that which will likely never happen but it still feels good to be prepared for.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord

Well, now I think I may love you.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis