Why do you want to own an Assault Rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Yes, why do you want to own an assault rifle? Or any other paramilitary firearm? This question doesn’t include firearms specifically designed for game. The answer is obvious.

Seriously, it seems like a total waste of money that you could spend on audio gear which you'd enjoy every day.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Grant, while it's obvious your question is in direct response to the Vegas tragedy and those like it before understand there are plenty of reasons (legitimate) for owning firearms other than 'for game'. Informal and formal target shooting, personal defense.

Myself, I have no need or desire to own such weapons.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Grant, while it's obvious your question is in direct response to the Vegas tragedy and those like it before understand there are plenty of reasons (legitimate) for owning firearms other than 'for game'. Informal and formal target shooting, personal defense.

Myself, I have no need or desire to own such weapons.
“Grant, while it's obvious your question is in direct response to the Vegas tragedy”

You are correct!

“...there are plenty of reasons (legitimate) for owning firearms other than 'for game'.”

Nope, I said owning a firearm that wasn’t made and or designed for game, but I see the confusion, see edit.

“Informal and formal target shooting, personal defense.”

A non-assault firearm should suffice, right?

“Myself, I have no need or desire to own such weapons.”

Well, me neither, so I’m asking.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The guys I know who own such are a little...out there. Never had a desire to own any gun, don't want or need one.....

ps checked my email just after this and had one from Sportsman's Guide titled "Defend yourself" with sales on "concealment vests", batons, hand guns and body armor. Sporstmen indeed, human sport....

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Grant, you're obviously not a gun guy, that's OK but let me enlighten you ........

assault style firearms are in fact legal in some states for hunting purposes. Also those specific types of firearms have dedicated competitive shooting disciplines associated with them and therefore have a use (legitimate) beyond that of 'killing people'.

Myself a lifelong shooting enthusiast, I've shot benchrest, silhouette, indoor gallery and currently compete in sporting clays.

firearms have many good applications the sad truth is a few sick individuals have ruined way too many lives.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Grant, you're obviously not a gun guy, that's OK but let me enlighten you ........

assault style firearms are in fact legal in some states for hunting purposes. Also those specific types of firearms have dedicated competitive shooting disciplines associated with them and therefore have a use (legitimate) beyond that of 'killing people'.

Myself a lifelong shooting enthusiast, I've shot benchrest, silhouette, indoor gallery and currently compete in sporting clays.

firearms have many good applications the sad truth is a few sick individuals have ruined way too many lives.
Let's first separate out one of the biggest aspects here too, and that last line is key. Firearms are not to blame for these incidents, the people committing these horrible acts are. These people are NOT NORMAL and firearms are not the only way they can harm large numbers of people, it is just that this is how this particular one played out and it is intolerable. Nobody is going to ban cars when someone drives into a crowd of people at a rally and nobody says anything about it other than that person is crazy. In an incident like that people focus on the person, not the method. With firearms, people always seem to immediately attack firearms. I own assault rifles and I don't hunt. That doesn't make me dangerous or crazy. I don't really see the point of harming animals any more than I would humans.

My heart goes out to all of those affected by this incident. It is horrific. It should not happen. I may be pro firearm, but that does not mean I don't think there should be more stringent controls. Recertification for ownership, better background checks, etc..., I don't know but something. I support anything that could help in preventing something like this from happening. The fact is, there is no real way to identify the individuals who might do something like this and THAT is really where the issue lies.

I was hesitant to reply at all given what has occurred.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic

“Grant, you're obviously not a gun guy, that's OK but let me enlighten you ...”

What’s a “gun guy?” Do I own a gun? Yes, but let’s limit ad hom assumptions.

“assault style firearms are in fact legal in some states for hunting purposes. “

But you could just as well use the game weapon, right? Wouldn’t they be at least or even more effective?

“Also those specific types of firearms have dedicated competitive shooting disciplines associated with them and therefore have a use (legitimate) beyond that of 'killing people'. Myself a lifelong shooting enthusiast, I've shot benchrest, silhouette, indoor gallery and currently compete in sporting clays.”

All of which don’t necessarily require assault rifles, right? Don’t assault rifle make some compromises which would make them less suited?

“firearms have many good applications the sad truth is a few sick individuals have ruined way too many lives.”

If access to assault weapons is the same, what would allow said sick individual to achieve max carnage?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Seems like a stupid thread based on the timing...
well....................that after all is what triggered (no pun intended) the thread. Emotions run high on this matter after a tragedy of this magnitude.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Grant, for the last time ....you don't get it !!

There are competitive shooting sports designed around such weapons....understood ??

Listen, I know full well the AR-15, while adopted for civilian use was based on a military weapon first and foremost and the fact that the legitimate civilian uses came second but again the fact remains they're there.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
well....................that after all is what triggered (no pun intended) the thread. Emotions run high on this matter after a tragedy of this magnitude.
I am actually a gun guy but we should likely just leave it alone right now. I guess I would say a legitimate reason to have an assault rifle would be to pop the OP upside the head with the stock for starting this... thread....;)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
PDawg, one can also look at this as an opportunity to educated the misinformed

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
PDawg, one can also look at this as an opportunity to educated the misinformed
And what would that be, dont go crazy and shot someone? This tragedy in no way should become political.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Yes, why do you want to own an assault rifle? Or any other paramilitary firearm? This question doesn’t include firearms specifically designed for game. The answer is obvious.

Seriously, it seems like a total waste of money that you could spend on audio gear which you'd enjoy every day.
I put everything aside when I read this.
From those I know who are into guns/hunting/shooting, it seems to me that is the hobby, the bigger the better. Set up targets, gallon jugs watermelons ECT blow stuff up. I'm not a gun guy, I don't have strong opinions for or against them. I can see why someone would want them. I do think the assumption that the people who own them are mental or killers is immature.

I think those I know are odd with the money they spend on them, and I'm sure they feel the same when I tell them about my audio equipment.
Your waste of money comment made me laugh and i immediately thought of exotic cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis