Why do you want to own an Assault Rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Time for some truth, I really didn't expect my post to be rated the way it did (very positively - so that you don't have to look for it if you're interested). Perhaps you (Americans) do get portrayed far worse through the media. And I fell for it. I thought 99% of you will be completely in love with your guns. I'm not happy for falling for this one.

I'd like to add something to the debate. Perhaps you might find it useful if you're still tuning your stance. In this debate I read a lot of false arguments that are being pushed by pro-gun crowd. Even if you're pro-gun, these shouldn't be your arguments, they are not valid. Using a non-valid arguments makes you look like "I want my gun at any price/cost and I don't want to change my ways one bit, now go and find me a solution for gun related crimes/injuries/murders/tragedies. No go!

I even saw someone here saying explosives and such can easily be made so his girlfriend has a gun. (?!?!) I guess next step is providing some C4. I mean, you do want her safe, don't you?

We have a very low number of guns and a very, very low number of gun tragedies. I wish you the same.

So, here are some different views than the ones you're being flooded with, perhaps you could use a view from aside:

Mass murderers being mentally ill - I'm not trying to provoke or insult, but it is decent, sane, law abiding citizens doing the mass shootings. Madness is systematic and it can touch any of us (no, nothing had to be there in the first place). If you're armed when and if it touches you, it is quite different than when not being armed.

Other things being used as weapon - This again comes from NRA the loudest. It is completely false. The damage adds up. It is axes + guns + cars. So, it is wrong to say; since you can kill a person with a car, we might as well have hundreds of thousands of guns out there it won't make a difference. It will make a huge difference. Try the same logic in another example; if there's one type of harmful pesticide in your food already, why not completely flood it with pesticides - you see how immediately it shows how false it is. Damage adds up. People who are using other means to take lives are NOT exclusively the people who couldn't get guns. So you have car-bombs+guns+knives+shivs.

Infringement, rights, defend myself - This is like a cartoon republican talking. I have all those rights. I don't have a gun and never will. I never had any problems (in my entire life, neither did anyone I know - imagine that; I don't know one single person who owns a gun, or had been threatened by one or been attacked or robbed in his own house). Problems did start to occur every now and then the more the people started adopting your ways (sorry to say, they see cableTV guys freely enjoying the guns and think I want one). Today you don't think women shouldn't teach at Universities, that also used to be your way. Trust me, you can change your bad ways. You've already done it before.

If we teach our children better, we can keep the guns - This is the "I want change but don't want to move a finger to achieve it" position. Here's a little bit about the holistic approach. American children are not brought up well (not all, but enough to make it a problem) because of your economy. As long as you don't want to budge an inch on that subject, nothing will change in other areas. They are left to their own devices and the street is raising them because their parent/parents work three jobs and still starve. I tried to touch this subject in another thread, but I was told then by a member that he doesn't think there's anything wrong with U.S. economy short of a few tweaks. These parents are not bad, perhaps they could even out-parent few of you :), but they simply have to be absent. If you want well brought up children parents have to be with them at least half a day. Sure, kindergarten and school might do the trick, but you also did everything in your power to ruin those completely. And it is a part of the same economic model that is completely dependent on destroying and undermining the state. So schools doing the trick is a problem for all types of "small-government" ideologies". But, schools could only cover for half the time. Teachers have their own children. The rest of the time, you have to be with your kids to raise them. You sleep 8 hours, you work 8 hours, you raise a family (and live a pretty life) 8 hours. You'd love it, I'm telling you.

I was safe growing up so I don't care for others; their fault. This is never a nice thing to say. Blame is never completely personal. You're safe until you're not. You might have been just lucky. The fact that it worked for you or ten people or a hundred can never be universal. You have your guns and you have your tragedies. You should start asking who is doing everything in its power to stop you from connecting the dots. I'd argue that preventing you from connecting the dots is a far greater infringement on your rights. Your right to understand should be more important than the one to bear arms.

Perfect world / gun free utopia. Well thank you very much, I didn't know I live in one. :) You can't become gun-free without freeing yourself of guns. My world couldn't be further away from perfect and still we don't kill each other with guns. Because we don't have them. You might say we would and this is just covering what goes on under the surface. And I would say that's MY argument. A lot goes on under the surface, but rarely do people get killed over that. We don't have guns. See? It's hard living with heaps of guns vs. hard living with barely any.

No laws = no criminals - I guess this is a joke, right? Of course you could argue that since criminals are defined through braking the law, if there's nothing to brake, you couldn't be considered a criminal. But this is just child's play on words. There are a lot of ways to gain wealth and profit at someone's expense that are, unfortunately, not being covered by law. These ways are utilised far more than the ones where you have to break the law. Behind every single outsourcing U.S. ever did is this exact logic. You go somewhere where causing severe damage to people and surroundings is not regulated. No laws = crime aplenty! You owned slaves because no one said you couldn't and back then you weren't considered a criminal for owning them. It was legal.

Gun narrative: you have it > you have to be ready to use it > you have to demonstrate your readiness > you have to make your attacker aware of the fact that you have a gun > if taunted even slightly, you have to make the next step > all of this goes in the head of your attacker as well > he demonstrates his readiness and the next step > drawing and not being ready to use it will only facilitate your attacker to use it > warning shots > if not enough... and you're there, tragedy terrain.

This is the essence of existence of guns. Going against this narrative with a gun in your hand is much harder to occur. If you like target practice, choose a spear. You'll get some training as well.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
FYI- AR, as used for the model of a gun, stands for Armalite, which is the manufacturer of AR15, etc and not 'Assault Rifle'.
Yes, I was referring to the legal definition of assault rifle. Thanks for the correction on nomenclature.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Modern assault weapons I don't care for. In this age of CNC everything, they are just more of the same league as overdone Harley Davidsons, turbo cars and body art. 'Yawn."
Talking bad about turbo cars is a big no-no. I will shut this thread down if you keep up that kind of behavior.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Time for some truth, I really didn't expect my post to be rated the way it did (very positively - so that you don't have to look for it if you're interested). Perhaps you (Americans) do get portrayed far worse through the media. And I fell for it. I thought 99% of you will be completely in love with your guns. I'm not happy for falling for this one.

I'd like to add something to the debate. Perhaps you might find it useful if you're still tuning your stance. In this debate I read a lot of false arguments that are being pushed by pro-gun crowd. Even if you're pro-gun, these shouldn't be your arguments, they are not valid. Using a non-valid arguments makes you look like "I want my gun at any price/cost and I don't want to change my ways one bit, now go and find me a solution for gun related crimes/injuries/murders/tragedies. No go!

I even saw someone here saying explosives and such can easily be made so his girlfriend has a gun. (?!?!) I guess next step is providing some C4. I mean, you do want her safe, don't you?

We have a very low number of guns and a very, very low number of gun tragedies. I wish you the same.

So, here are some different views than the ones you're being flooded with, perhaps you could use a view from aside:

Mass murderers being mentally ill - I'm not trying to provoke or insult, but it is decent, sane, law abiding citizens doing the mass shootings. Madness is systematic and it can touch any of us (no, nothing had to be there in the first place). If you're armed when and if it touches you, it is quite different than when not being armed.

Other things being used as weapon - This again comes from NRA the loudest. It is completely false. The damage adds up. It is axes + guns + cars. So, it is wrong to say; since you can kill a person with a car, we might as well have hundreds of thousands of guns out there it won't make a difference. It will make a huge difference. Try the same logic in another example; if there's one type of harmful pesticide in your food already, why not completely flood it with pesticides - you see how immediately it shows how false it is. Damage adds up. People who are using other means to take lives are NOT exclusively the people who couldn't get guns. So you have car-bombs+guns+knives+shivs.

Infringement, rights, defend myself - This is like a cartoon republican talking. I have all those rights. I don't have a gun and never will. I never had any problems (in my entire life, neither did anyone I know - imagine that; I don't know one single person who owns a gun, or had been threatened by one or been attacked or robbed in his own house). Problems did start to occur every now and then the more the people started adopting your ways (sorry to say, they see cableTV guys freely enjoying the guns and think I want one). Today you don't think women shouldn't teach at Universities, that also used to be your way. Trust me, you can change your bad ways. You've already done it before.

If we teach our children better, we can keep the guns - This is the "I want change but don't want to move a finger to achieve it" position. Here's a little bit about the holistic approach. American children are not brought up well (not all, but enough to make it a problem) because of your economy. As long as you don't want to budge an inch on that subject, nothing will change in other areas. They are left to their own devices and the street is raising them because their parent/parents work three jobs and still starve. I tried to touch this subject in another thread, but I was told then by a member that he doesn't think there's anything wrong with U.S. economy short of a few tweaks. These parents are not bad, perhaps they could even out-parent few of you :), but they simply have to be absent. If you want well brought up children parents have to be with them at least half a day. Sure, kindergarten and school might do the trick, but you also did everything in your power to ruin those completely. And it is a part of the same economic model that is completely dependent on destroying and undermining the state. So schools doing the trick is a problem for all types of "small-government" ideologies". But, schools could only cover for half the time. Teachers have their own children. The rest of the time, you have to be with your kids to raise them. You sleep 8 hours, you work 8 hours, you raise a family (and live a pretty life) 8 hours. You'd love it, I'm telling you.

I was safe growing up so I don't care for others; their fault. This is never a nice thing to say. Blame is never completely personal. You're safe until you're not. You might have been just lucky. The fact that it worked for you or ten people or a hundred can never be universal. You have your guns and you have your tragedies. You should start asking who is doing everything in its power to stop you from connecting the dots. I'd argue that preventing you from connecting the dots is a far greater infringement on your rights. Your right to understand should be more important than the one to bear arms.

Perfect world / gun free utopia. Well thank you very much, I didn't know I live in one. :) You can't become gun-free without freeing yourself of guns. My world couldn't be further away from perfect and still we don't kill each other with guns. Because we don't have them. You might say we would and this is just covering what goes on under the surface. And I would say that's MY argument. A lot goes on under the surface, but rarely do people get killed over that. We don't have guns. See? It's hard living with heaps of guns vs. hard living with barely any.

No laws = no criminals - I guess this is a joke, right? Of course you could argue that since criminals are defined through braking the law, if there's nothing to brake, you couldn't be considered a criminal. But this is just child's play on words. There are a lot of ways to gain wealth and profit at someone's expense that are, unfortunately, not being covered by law. These ways are utilised far more than the ones where you have to break the law. Behind every single outsourcing U.S. ever did is this exact logic. You go somewhere where causing severe damage to people and surroundings is not regulated. No laws = crime aplenty! You owned slaves because no one said you couldn't and back then you weren't considered a criminal for owning them. It was legal.

Gun narrative: you have it > you have to be ready to use it > you have to demonstrate your readiness > you have to make your attacker aware of the fact that you have a gun > if taunted even slightly, you have to make the next step > all of this goes in the head of your attacker as well > he demonstrates his readiness and the next step > drawing and not being ready to use it will only facilitate your attacker to use it > warning shots > if not enough... and you're there, tragedy terrain.

This is the essence of existence of guns. Going against this narrative with a gun in your hand is much harder to occur. If you like target practice, choose a spear. You'll get some training as well.
Very well written. 100% of your arguments are on target.

Where are you located by the way? I don't know anyone in the UK who does not think loose gun ownership is not the "Great American Tragedy." They are correct, but the country has a fatal blind spot.

highfigh

highfigh

Samolia? That was a country in The Three Stooges? Is it near Nambia? :)
Ever hear of 'Samolians'? Used to be used to mean 'dollars'. Samolia is where the word comes from, back when people used different units and could convert without using a calculator or chart.

"The metric system is a tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

True story.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Ever hear of 'Samolians'? Used to be used to mean 'dollars'. Samolia is where the word comes from, back when people used different units and could convert without using a calculator or chart.

"The metric system is a tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

True story.
Scientists, even American scientists, operate almost exclusively with the metric system!

It is a much better, more intuitive system, by far. The problem is, being an American, it is difficult to re-calibrate your brain to get an accurate picture in your head of the value being measured.

In the lab, we may still use F for temp, but C or K is usually preferred. And, horsepower may be used from time to time. Otherwise, your life is much easier to work with the metric system.

highfigh

highfigh

Other things being used as weapon - This again comes from NRA the loudest. It is completely false.

If we teach our children better, we can keep the guns - This is the "I want change but don't want to move a finger to achieve it" position. Here's a little bit about the holistic approach. American children are not brought up well (not all, but enough to make it a problem) because of your economy. As long as you don't want to budge an inch on that subject, nothing will change in other areas. They are left to their own devices and the street is raising them because their parent/parents work three jobs and still starve.

No laws = no criminals - You owned slaves because no one said you couldn't and back then you weren't considered a criminal for owning them. It was legal.

Wrt your first point, Americans are portrayed badly because so many ARE bad. The whole problem with comparing one country's population with ours is that the people aren't remotely the same. Oh, sure, some are very similar, but we have people who won't allow others to live in peace.

WRT your comment about your low number of gun tragedies, I wish the same. However, it will take a very long time to get there for this country. Confiscation won't result in gathering ALL of the guns- I guarantee it. People will hide them and avoid using whatever they kept for a time, but they WILL be used again. They do it now- felons aren't allowed to have guns, but the high number of gun crimes committed by felons involve guns. They hide, trade, sell, destroy the evidence often and that makes another conviction more difficult. Many of the guns used in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area come from Chicago and other parts of the country, often transported by gangs, for gang use. Unless those people can be followed 24 hours/day, it's not going to stop and since we have the 4th and 6th Amendments, searches must come with a warrant. I would bet that if they did block by block searches, they would cut crime by 30%, maybe more.

Mental illness comes with too much of a stigma for people to willingly tell others when a family member or friend shows signs of problems but IMO, no 'sane' person would buy 30+ guns in a short time (unless it was part of a valuable collection) and shoot more than 600 people. If they were sane before, they weren't at the time of the incident.

Do a google search for weapons used in US murders- here's a link from the FBI-

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2010-2014.xls

If guns are no longer available, it woin't stop murders, but it will cut the number- it's still a problem of people not being able to think of a different way to solve a problem.

Re: No Laws, no criminals, you're wrong- THEY owned slaves. In the past. However, because traditions and customs sometimes take a long time to die, people would still want top own slaves, if they could. Don't generalize so broadly.

WRT your comments about the gun narrative- IMO, if someone carries a gun, they need to be ready to use it, but ONLY if they are able to use it without spraying bullets and hitting something other than their intended target. The US has had a big problem with stray bullets hitting innocent bystanders & non-targets, which has resulted in tens of thousands of deaths in the last couple of decades. If they aren't proficient, they shouldn't be allowed to carry. Even well-trained (in theory) people don't hit the target when under stress and one example is when a bank robbery occurred in New York City- the police fired at the robbers and hit nine pedestrians.

Some people are too gung ho to own and carry guns, but the root of the problem is that people are ultimately at fault. Read the online news from any major city and you'll see events that should never happen.

highfigh

highfigh

Scientists, even American scientists, operate almost exclusively with the metric system!

It is a much better, more intuitive system, by far. The problem is, being an American, it is difficult to re-calibrate your brain to get an accurate picture in your head of the value being measured.

In the lab, we may still use F for temp, but C or K is usually preferred. And, horsepower may be used from time to time. Otherwise, your life is much easier to work with the metric system.
I know- that was a quote from The Simpsons.

My school started teaching us the Metric System in 1970, when the US was trying to implement it and I have serious issues with the fact that so many resisted at the time. It's pathetic. People hate what they don't understand.

Remember the Mars Lander that crashed? Wrong units- the parachute was supposed to deploy at 60 miles, but they programmed it to go at 60 Km. Came in kinda hot.

What do you use instead of HP, Joules?

Even our feet and hands are Base10!

"Give that kid 2.54cm and he'll take 1.62 kilometers".

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I know- that was a quote from The Simpsons.

My school started teaching us the Metric System in 1970, when the US was trying to implement it and I have serious issues with the fact that so many resisted at the time. It's pathetic. People hate what they don't understand.

Remember the Mars Lander that crashed? Wrong units- the parachute was supposed to deploy at 60 miles, but they programmed it to go at 60 Km. Came in kinda hot.

What do you use instead of HP, Joules?

Even our feet and hands are Base10!

"Give that kid 2.54cm and he'll take 1.62 kilometers".
Yeah, it seems pretty likely that our Base10 number system was a natural extension of counting on your fingers.

American units of HP = SI units of Watts! HP is a measurement of POWER, Watts also measure POWER. Power is a rate of work per unit of time (J/s), Joules are the SI units for work, while the American units are ergs.

You illustrate my point with that question!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Wrt your first point, Americans are portrayed badly because so many ARE bad. The whole problem with comparing one country's population with ours is that the people aren't remotely the same. Oh, sure, some are very similar, but we have people who won't allow others to live in peace.

WRT your comment about your low number of gun tragedies, I wish the same. However, it will take a very long time to get there for this country. Confiscation won't result in gathering ALL of the guns- I guarantee it. People will hide them and avoid using whatever they kept for a time, but they WILL be used again. They do it now- felons aren't allowed to have guns, but the high number of gun crimes committed by felons involve guns. They hide, trade, sell, destroy the evidence often and that makes another conviction more difficult. Many of the guns used in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area come from Chicago and other parts of the country, often transported by gangs, for gang use. Unless those people can be followed 24 hours/day, it's not going to stop and since we have the 4th and 6th Amendments, searches must come with a warrant. I would bet that if they did block by block searches, they would cut crime by 30%, maybe more.

Mental illness comes with too much of a stigma for people to willingly tell others when a family member or friend shows signs of problems but IMO, no 'sane' person would buy 30+ guns in a short time (unless it was part of a valuable collection) and shoot more than 600 people. If they were sane before, they weren't at the time of the incident.

Do a google search for weapons used in US murders- here's a link from the FBI-

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2010-2014.xls

If guns are no longer available, it woin't stop murders, but it will cut the number- it's still a problem of people not being able to think of a different way to solve a problem.

Re: No Laws, no criminals, you're wrong- THEY owned slaves. In the past. However, because traditions and customs sometimes take a long time to die, people would still want top own slaves, if they could. Don't generalize so broadly.

WRT your comments about the gun narrative- IMO, if someone carries a gun, they need to be ready to use it, but ONLY if they are able to use it without spraying bullets and hitting something other than their intended target. The US has had a big problem with stray bullets hitting innocent bystanders & non-targets, which has resulted in tens of thousands of deaths in the last couple of decades. If they aren't proficient, they shouldn't be allowed to carry. Even well-trained (in theory) people don't hit the target when under stress and one example is when a bank robbery occurred in New York City- the police fired at the robbers and hit nine pedestrians.

Some people are too gung ho to own and carry guns, but the root of the problem is that people are ultimately at fault. Read the online news from any major city and you'll see events that should never happen.
good reply 'hiFi' !

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I do think making fun of us for not using the metric system is funny. Especially when I was taught the metric system growing up in multiple years of school. I know it well, but as someone stated getting our brains to convert what we've always used for distance is difficult.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I do think making fun of us for not using the metric system is funny. Especially when I was taught the metric system growing up in multiple years of school. I know it well, but as someone stated getting our brains to convert what we've always used for distance is difficult.
Just imagine how confusing it can be up here. While Canada has officially been using the Metric System for 40-odd years, we have to keep a foot in each system because the country next door refuses to do the same. Our building material dimensions are in imperial measurements, but we buy our milk in litres and our meat in kgs.I understand litres per100 kms, but I have a better appreciation of what's good vs bad when I think in MPG.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just imagine how confusing it can be up here. While Canada has officially been using the Metric System for 40-odd years, we have to keep a foot in each system because the country next door refuses to do the same. Our building material dimensions are in imperial measurements, but we buy our milk in litres and our meat in kgs.I understand litres per100 kms, but I have a better appreciation of what's good vs bad when I think in MPG.
Yeah, that would be irritating.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This is why you need an armed civilian population.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Talking bad about turbo cars is a big no-no. I will shut this thread down if you keep up that kind of behavior.....
It's more about the store bought race cars and bolt on and bottled horsepower told what to do by a computer. Crate motors delivered to your door with every HP and torque curve imaginable

Hundreds and thousands of horsepower driving around on a traffic grid. . . .I'm sorry if I don't find that as exciting as what guys were creating with off the shelf factory parts just a few decades ago.

Same with guns. It's become too predictable. Not my fault.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
...we have to keep a foot in each system because the country next door refuses to do the same.
Got it. You're sleeping with a giant whose brain is demented by the US Congress (and lately by a White House doing a great impersonation of an insane asylum) and you expect the giant not to hog the blankets? Get real! :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's more about the store bought race cars and bolt on and bottled horsepower told what to do by a computer. Crate motors delivered to your door with every HP and torque curve imaginable

Hundreds and thousands of horsepower driving around on a traffic grid. . . .I'm sorry if I don't find that as exciting as what guys were creating with off the shelf factory parts just a few decades ago.

Same with guns. It's become too predictable. Not my fault.
I agree to an extent, but it's still pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis