Why do people hate Axiom Audio?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I thought most of the complaints of Axiom besides strange design choices is they are really expensive now. I'm not expert but I thought when they were the new kid on the block they were really good speakers with a great price being online only but now they are super expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've compared them with KEF, Elac, B&W's and several others. I enjoy doing those a/b comparisons. The 702 B&W have a better high end with impressive imaging, I really like those guys. But if your going to turn it up, the M100s have a punch and are really amazing.

Which Axioms have you owned or listened too? Why do you feel so strongly to disapprove? Is this a purple berry thing?
If you want real punch, time to add a big boy subwoofer (or 2) and let them do the heavy lifting!

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
No doubt, standard complaint across the board is that Axioms are too expensive. Actually, tbh, most speakers are now!!!

Thanks for the the info and links Gene. Thats helpful info. I will go on record saying that Andrew, the current Axiom senior engineer seems to be making improvements across the board, the version 4 stuff is light years past what they've had. I've purchased several Axioms (some way over priced) but the customer support was off the charts. When I didn't like what I got they kept sending me speakers at no additional cost. At one point I paid for two pairs and one sub and ended up with three more pairs and lots of advice, they kept throwing speakers and speaker components at me until I was happy. It was good fun. As Axiom took care of me I got to know the people in the factory, small company, less than 20 employees most likely (I could be wrong) but good people, they were really helpful. The strangest thing of all, is that Ian, the owner of Axiom sent me several videos before I received my latest speakers (it's been a few months now) to educated me, those included the Dr. Floyd Toole videos which were my favorite.

I don't see any more VP-150's coming out of Axiom now that Andrew is there, but I could be wrong. btw, I owned the VP150 and no one ever commented about the off axis response, but I get the science. That was a bad idea. But it sounded really good if you were in front of it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
No doubt, standard complaint across the board is that Axioms are too expensive. Actually, tbh, most speakers are now!!!

Thanks for the the info and links Gene. Thats helpful info. I will go on record saying that Andrew, the current Axiom senior engineer seems to be making improvements across the board, the version 4 stuff is light years past what they've had. I've purchased several Axioms (some way over priced) but the customer support was off the charts. When I didn't like what I got they kept sending me speakers at no additional cost. At one point I paid for two pairs and one sub and ended up with three more pairs and lots of advice, they kept throwing speakers and speaker components at me until I was happy. It was good fun. As Axiom took care of me I got to know the people in the factory, small company, less than 20 employees most likely (I could be wrong) but good people, they were really helpful. The strangest thing of all, is that Ian, the owner of Axiom sent me several videos before I received my latest speakers (it's been a few months now) to educated me, those included the Dr. Floyd Toole videos which were my favorite.

I don't see any more VP-150's coming out of Axiom now that Andrew is there, but I could be wrong. btw, I owned the VP150 and no one ever commented about the off axis response, but I get the science. That was a bad idea. But it sounded really good if you were in front of it.
When you build a lot of margin into your products, it's easy to offer such options to unsatisfied customers. A center channel should sound good on and off axis. It's impossible for a speaker with tweeters on opposite ends of the cabinet to sound good off axis based on very well understood laws of physics that any reputable speaker designer should understand. Glad to see that model discontinued from there lineup.

T

TruthSeeker101

Audiophyte
Axiom Audio has been around for many years, but when I make a post about my amp flaking out many people see the Axioms and say hey "Those are white van speakers". What does that mean exactly. Then someone says look at the readings, those speakers suck. I have a few pairs of Axiom and I like them. I have many others, Elac, KEF, B&W, and more. They all sound pretty good. The Axiom M100's are some of the best i've heard.

I''m a chef, so i'll put this in something I understand... I can't look at a piece of paper with an entire recipe and know if tastes good. I've tried, i've been surprised so many times. Whats the difference?
This thread should give you more than enough insight into the character of gene and WHY axiom has been the bombarded with hate online via this message board and the others he and his followers frequent(avsforums). It's been his personal vendetta.

His responses in this thread are both disingenuous and comical.

The predominantly one sided beef goes back a long time.

It's really pathetic to be honest.

But to his credit, he's much more subdued and sly with his axiom hate these days. He gives back handed compliments while sharing criticisms.

It's been nice to see it calm down in the past years.

There are many real world reviews from experienced listeners who have done A/B comparisons with Axiom Products vs all the notable brands...some costing much, much more....and the Axiom's are preferred more often than not. Their passion, in house r&d, engineering and production really spotlight why they are a rather special speaker company. Their customer service is amazing.

From a personal opinion...a pair of M80's blow a pair of RF7 ii's out of the water. A much better performer.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
This thread should give you more than enough insight into the character of gene and WHY axiom has been the bombarded with hate online via this message board and the others he and his followers frequent(avsforums). It's been his personal vendetta.

But to his credit, he's much more subdued and sly with his axiom hate these days. He gives back handed compliments while sharing criticisms.

There are many real world reviews from experienced listeners who have done A/B comparisons with Axiom Products vs all the notable brands...some costing much, much more....and the Axiom's are preferred more often than not. Their passion, in house r&d, engineering and production really spotlight why they are a rather special speaker company. Their customer service is amazing.

From a personal opinion...a pair of M80's blow a pair of RF7 ii's out of the water. A much better performer.
So let me get this straight: Ian, the owner of Axiom audio had an issue with someone who worked for Gene, spoke to Gene about and worked things out to his (Ian's) satisfaction, and you're calling it all bad form on Gene's part? Now it just sounds like you're the one holding a grudge here.

And your opinion on a pair of speakers is just that, your opinion. I know neither pair you're speaking of personally and can't find a frequency response chart for either.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

And what exactly has he said that was so out of line? I have seen him say they were excellent ID speakers back in the day, very affordable. He then said they have some very funky designs and they are no longer affordable, and you pay huge for every different finish. They are all fair points and in my opinion. Have you seen the freaking prices on those speakers lately? I don't think Gene has sent any "hate" towards Axiom.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

It's a good thing that Axiom has you around to stir up old dramas in order to promote their brand. It sure is a lot more helpful than promoting the advantages of your favored brand. We wouldn't want to look forward to see how things could get better but rather be stuck in the past.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It's a good thing that Axiom has you around to stir up old dramas in order to promote their brand. It sure is a lot more helpful than promoting the advantages of your favored brand. We wouldn't want to look forward to see how things could get better but rather be stuck in the past.
Yeah I’m sure a lot of people forgotten about that brand !!
If there that bad bunch them with bic and fluance I’m sure someone likes them I’f there not defunct ...
I doubt they can be tonally less even then b & w:eek:o_O

Last edited:
T

TruthSeeker101

Audiophyte
So let me get this straight: Ian, the owner of Axiom audio had an issue with someone who worked for Gene, spoke to Gene about and worked things out to his (Ian's) satisfaction, and you're calling it all bad form on Gene's part? Now it just sounds like you're the one holding a grudge here.

And your opinion on a pair of speakers is just that, your opinion. I know neither pair you're speaking of personally and can't find a frequency response chart for either.

You don't have anything straight and clearly missed the point

When a grown "man"(gene) makes a puppet account on an axiom forum board just to constantly bash and private message users to bash axiom products....it's beyond the point of a simple dislike of a product. And says loads about his character. And of course he probably denies it...but IP's dont lie

Axiom builds a solid product that performs and in many case, out performs the competition. Yeah, its just my opinion but at least my opinion is based on unbiased real world listening and not frequency graphs and ball suckling fan boyism lol

To defend such childish and sketchy poop lile his puppet posting antics...is also beyond pathetic

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

When a grown "man"(gene) makes a puppet account on an axiom forum board just to constantly bash and private message users to bash axiom products....it's beyond the point of a simple dislike of a product. And says loads about his character. And of course he probably denies it...but IP's dont lie

Axiom builds a solid product that performs and in many case, out performs the competition. Yeah, its just my opinion but at least my opinion is based on unbiased real world listening and not frequency graphs and ball suckling fan boyism lol

To defend such childish and sketchy poop lile his puppet posting antics...is also beyond pathetic
who the hell is this guy? Prove he did what you say he did otherwise it's just unfounded speculation. Boo hoo sometime it's bashing Axiom. I was just in their website, I like the over 1,300 dollar center channel with 2 tweeters.

T

TruthSeeker101

Audiophyte
who the hell is this guy? Prove he did what you say he did otherwise it's just unfounded speculation. Boo hoo sometime it's bashing Axiom. I was just in their website, I like the over 1,300 dollar center channel with 2 tweeters.

For the dumb people who cant click links in my original post:

"
Like many of you, I have been wondering what on earth all the vitriolic Axiom-bashing that is showing up on this message board and others is all about. We’ve always followed the same principals of loudspeaker design, and although some aspects may not be considered mainstream, we firmly believe in taking a scientific approach to loudspeaker design, regardless of what the ‘flavour of the month’ is with reviewers, competitors’ products, or trends on message boards. We stick by our research and that makes us unpopular from time to time. That is all part of doing business and of being true to our ethos.

Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way, and today I have some very disturbing news I feel obligated to share. The rampant bashing we have been receiving for some time now has left many of you - and myself - scratching our heads as to what in the world would be causing it. We are beginning to find the answer, and the news is quite shocking. We have evidence that shows that at least one of the bashers, JBall, sends his or her posts from the same IP address that is used by Gene DellaSala from Audioholics when he logs onto our message boards, as well as when he sends emails to Axiom. This has led me to believe that JBall is in fact Gene himself.

As I have mentioned before I was bothered after the opening of the Audioholics store by the fact that we were sending money and product for supposed objective independent review to a competitor in the marketplace. The fact that Audioholics was purporting to be an independent source of reliable commentary while also building up what would best be described as a house brand speaker line did not sit well with me either.

There was some talk after the store first opened of selling our products in the store, which would then at least change it to a quasi-dealer relationship. After much pondering on this we decided that it simply did not fit with our business model and in the summer of 2010 we cut our ties with Audioholics. This resulted in Gene threatening me by saying that he had built the Axiom brand and he could destroy it.

We do have further evidence that shows the scope of the problem is larger than just the postings being made by the IP sharing JBall but we do not yet know the full extent of how deep it really goes. We may or may not investigate it further as we are really not people who wish to spend time delving into this kind of pure negativity. We really just want to have fun with our customers and provide the best products and service we can offer. The majority of people we come in contact with every day are happy with their Axiom products and their experiences with our company, and those are the people we wish to focus on.

I guess if I had to look for a positive in all of this it would be that there is a certain odd flattery in realizing your competition fears what you are doing so much that they would resort to these kinds of tactics. More importantly, I want to thank those of you who have braved the wrath of these people here and on other message boards. I know how draining the negativity can be. I appreciate your support.

In closing I would actually like to extend my apologies to those who make legitimate posts in our forum with real opinions that are not favourable towards us. We watch these sorts of things as they can contain information that leads to product and service improvements. I am not talking about the endless repeaters of the same negative opinion over and over again that we do not agree with and therefore are not going to change. Or those who bash with no firsthand experience with the product they are bashing. That sort of behavior is not constructive to anyone. But to all the others making constructive points, that we need to either respond to with our reasons or change in order to keep making the products and overall experience with Axiom better."

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Axioms are so awesome that you need to dig up dead threads to bash people whom you perceive to be the enemy? Honestly, if I wanted to promote a brand, I would say how and why the brand is good instead of digging up old dramas. But hey, each to his own.

T

TruthSeeker101

Audiophyte
Axioms are so awesome that you need to dig up dead threads to bash people whom you perceive to be the enemy? Honestly, if I wanted to promote a brand, I would say how and why the brand is good instead of digging up old dramas. But hey, each to his own.

Its important people understand the truth why they experience such product bashing from gene and his little ball licking minions such as you...a grown man who made puppet accounts on said company's forum boards for the sole reason of spreading misinformation and deterring customers. A man who was quoted as saying that he could "destroy them" when they cut ties with him in 2010

Each to their own indeed. Pot...meet kettle

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
For the dumb people who cant click links in my original post:

"
Like many of you, I have been wondering what on earth all the vitriolic Axiom-bashing that is showing up on this message board and others is all about. We’ve always followed the same principals of loudspeaker design, and although some aspects may not be considered mainstream, we firmly believe in taking a scientific approach to loudspeaker design, regardless of what the ‘flavour of the month’ is with reviewers, competitors’ products, or trends on message boards. We stick by our research and that makes us unpopular from time to time. That is all part of doing business and of being true to our ethos.

Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way, and today I have some very disturbing news I feel obligated to share. The rampant bashing we have been receiving for some time now has left many of you - and myself - scratching our heads as to what in the world would be causing it. We are beginning to find the answer, and the news is quite shocking. We have evidence that shows that at least one of the bashers, JBall, sends his or her posts from the same IP address that is used by Gene DellaSala from Audioholics when he logs onto our message boards, as well as when he sends emails to Axiom. This has led me to believe that JBall is in fact Gene himself.

As I have mentioned before I was bothered after the opening of the Audioholics store by the fact that we were sending money and product for supposed objective independent review to a competitor in the marketplace. The fact that Audioholics was purporting to be an independent source of reliable commentary while also building up what would best be described as a house brand speaker line did not sit well with me either.

There was some talk after the store first opened of selling our products in the store, which would then at least change it to a quasi-dealer relationship. After much pondering on this we decided that it simply did not fit with our business model and in the summer of 2010 we cut our ties with Audioholics. This resulted in Gene threatening me by saying that he had built the Axiom brand and he could destroy it.

We do have further evidence that shows the scope of the problem is larger than just the postings being made by the IP sharing JBall but we do not yet know the full extent of how deep it really goes. We may or may not investigate it further as we are really not people who wish to spend time delving into this kind of pure negativity. We really just want to have fun with our customers and provide the best products and service we can offer. The majority of people we come in contact with every day are happy with their Axiom products and their experiences with our company, and those are the people we wish to focus on.

I guess if I had to look for a positive in all of this it would be that there is a certain odd flattery in realizing your competition fears what you are doing so much that they would resort to these kinds of tactics. More importantly, I want to thank those of you who have braved the wrath of these people here and on other message boards. I know how draining the negativity can be. I appreciate your support.

In closing I would actually like to extend my apologies to those who make legitimate posts in our forum with real opinions that are not favourable towards us. We watch these sorts of things as they can contain information that leads to product and service improvements. I am not talking about the endless repeaters of the same negative opinion over and over again that we do not agree with and therefore are not going to change. Or those who bash with no firsthand experience with the product they are bashing. That sort of behavior is not constructive to anyone. But to all the others making constructive points, that we need to either respond to with our reasons or change in order to keep making the products and overall experience with Axiom better."

If you think I'm reading all that diarrhea of the mouth you are out of your mind but hey that 2 tweeter center looks amazing and a bargain at just over 1,300 bucks. Good lord man, find a better sword to fall on than Axiom speakers.

T

TruthSeeker101

Audiophyte
If you think I'm reading all that diarrhea of the mouth you are out of your mind but hey that 2 tweeter center looks amazing and a bargain at just over 1,300 bucks. Good lord man, find a better sword to fall on than Axiom speakers.

His balls are deep down your throat i see

Pathetic you can't spend 5 min to see how sad your little demi god is

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

Demi God! Oh man this gets better and better. Dude ya know we are talking about speakers here. I have seen every single brand killed on these forums at times. None of them are spared. I was being serious man, seeing 2 tweeter center, I mean at that price is a bargain. Stick 2 crap ass tweeters in that poop box and over charge. Very smart business move.

T

TruthSeeker101

Audiophyte

Anyway, i spread some truth of the real reasons why axiom hate is so prevalent here.

Enjoy your circle jerk boys. Im out

Tons of great speakers out there to enjoy....including axioms :)

Peace

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis