Why do people hate Axiom Audio?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What about Tekton or McIntosh with their arrays?
There are lots of examples of speakers that do use multiple tweeters properly. Axiom is doing none of that. To address some of the manufacturers named in this thread:

The older Dynaudio confidence speaker low-pass filtered one of the tweeters to a relatively narrow range.

The Tekton speakers with those tweeter grids only allow the central tweeter to operate in a normal tweeter range. As Ryanosaur stated, the rest acted like a midrange driver where the spacing isn't far enough to cause comb-filtering. Also, the surrounding tweeters may be operating as a Bessel array to maintain direcitivity matching and power handling.

The McIntosh speakers, if you are talking about their line arrays, use very close spacing of the tweeters so that they don't act as a point source speaker but rather a line source speaker. You need a specific center-to-center spacing and minimum length array for this to happen. The acoustic theory is a bit complex, and Axiom certainly isn't attempting a line array in their speakers. If you are talking about the XR100 model, that really only has one tweeter. The rest are midrange drivers that probably aren't comb-filtering since they are relatively close for the frequency bands that they play.

Dali uses two tweeters, but the ribbon is a supertweeter and they don't really have overlapping ranges.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
The people that dislike AXIOM only understand what's on paper and have not actually listened to the unit before commenting. People just like to hate. They don't understand all the hard work and honest people that went into the design. They bring up science as a backer to their views, yet our science as of today doesn't understand how our ears translate audio. But everyone is an expert....myself included lol .. guys just listen before hating so much!!!
There are thousands of scientists every year that pour their lives into research only to publish their life’s work and have it eviscerated by their peers. It’s actually good and healthy for science as a whole, hopefully you can see here and other healthy audio forums that this is what’s happening. I’m an audiophile noob but if you stick around you’ll realize there’a a wealth of knowledge here.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
There are thousands of scientists every year that pour their lives into research only to publish their life’s work and have it eviscerated by their peers. It’s actually good and healthy for science as a whole, hopefully you can see here and other healthy audio forums that this is what’s happening. I’m an audiophile noob but if you stick around you’ll realize there’a a wealth of knowledge here.
Just do an a/b comparison. So much criticism by people who have never heard them, they say the "on paper" or this "curve" or "that second tweeter"... just relax and listen. They sound amazing!

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
This is certainly true, anywhere you look!
I think it's a primal instinct, Darwinism, you know... "don't eat the purple berries or you'll die"... is much more exciting, than "the red ones were good". Hormones effect our thoughts, all day long.

J

juryman

Audioholic Intern
I have had Axiom 5.1 setup for almost 20years. Served me well. Started upgrading my equipment a few years back and realized how bad the sub is (EP-125). In process of swapping out the Axioms to PSB and SVS for sub. WOW, what a difference.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Just do an a/b comparison. So much criticism by people who have never heard them, they say the "on paper" or this "curve" or "that second tweeter"... just relax and listen. They sound amazing!
And which speakers did you compare them with?

They probably do sound amazing - if your frame of reference is TV speakers, or a soundbar, or a Bose surround sound system.

If you did an a/b comparison between the Axioms and a really good speaker, however, they might not fare so well.

That's especially true if you did a blinded, level-matched a/b comparison.

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Man, I miss seeing those speakers pop up on Audiogon and even the Los Angeles Craigslist. I always got a good laugh when I'd see them listed for sale.
Why did that make you laugh, just curious?

rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
And which speakers did you compare them with?

They probably do sound amazing - if your frame of reference is TV speakers, or a soundbar, or a Bose surround sound system.

If you did an a/b comparison between the Axioms and a really good speaker, however, they might not fare so well.

That's especially true if you did a blinded, level-matched a/b comparison.
I've compared them with KEF, Elac, B&W's and several others. I enjoy doing those a/b comparisons. The 702 B&W have a better high end with impressive imaging, I really like those guys. But if your going to turn it up, the M100s have a punch and are really amazing.

Which Axioms have you owned or listened too? Why do you feel so strongly to disapprove? Is this a purple berry thing?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Axiom Audio has been around for many years, but when I make a post about my amp flaking out many people see the Axioms and say hey "Those are white van speakers". What does that mean exactly. Then someone says look at the readings, those speakers suck. I have a few pairs of Axiom and I like them. I have many others, Elac, KEF, B&W, and more. They all sound pretty good. The Axiom M100's are some of the best i've heard.

I''m a chef, so i'll put this in something I understand... I can't look at a piece of paper with an entire recipe and know if tastes good. I've tried, i've been surprised so many times. Whats the difference?
Axiom are not white van speakers. They put considerable efforts into measuring and doing blind tests to make their products better. Their customer service is top notch as well. The issue some people have, myself included, is some of their design choices are rather unorthodox like the dual tweeters on opposite ends of the cabinet, or not putting a HPF on a 5" midrange driver, or no crossover in their 2-way outdoor bookshelf speaker, or using minimal bracing in their cabinets. When we first reviewed their products 20 years ago, all of this was forgivable because their value was off the charts. The M22 used to sell for $400/pr, the M80s were $1,100/pr, etc. Their prices have gone up substantially since then and some of these design issues are just hard to look past. Their subwoofers are priced out of the market which is why you rarely see anyone talking about them on the forums. They are also very particular on having their speakers measured so it makes it challenging to get good 3rd party data on their performance. Bottom line, Axiom are NOT White Van speakers and they do make decent product, if not a bit spendy by today's standards.

These articles talks a bit about price factor:

Here is a review of their outdoor speaker which runs the woofer with no crossover:

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The people that dislike AXIOM only understand what's on paper and have not actually listened to the unit before commenting. People just like to hate. They don't understand all the hard work and honest people that went into the design. They bring up science as a backer to their views, yet our science as of today doesn't understand how our ears translate audio. But everyone is an expert....myself included lol .. guys just listen before hating so much!!!
Actually the science today is very grounded in predicting listening preferences based on how loudspeakers measure. All of this research is thanks to the guys at Harman (Dr. Floyd Toole, Dr. Sean Olive, etc). There is a very high correlation factor here that can't be ignored.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Dynaudio dropped two tweeters in their Confidence line right after Jupiter (and redesigned Contour) so I’ll take that as a good sign it’s not the best practice.
Some of Dynaudio large tower designs have been silly. I recall hearing a pair of their towers were the tweeter was really low to the ground., I didn't know if I should bend over or sit on the floor to listen to them. What I heard at seated ear level wasn't SOTA in my experiences with that particular speaker. Every brand has their gaffes I suppose.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis