Why didn't they choose an AVR?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see the link, it's when I use it I get a KEF page with the "sorry, page not found" message....searching the KEF site for "Gold Peak" got zilch as well...

I can see the link fine on my iPad and MacBook. I didn’t think to try it on my PCs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I see the link, it's when I use it I get a KEF page with the "sorry, page not found" message....searching the KEF site for "Gold Peak" got zilch as well...
Yeah, I could click on the links on that website and get all the info on KEF speakers just fine. I went into the KEF Blade and looked at specs, etc.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Are you still using Win95?

I'm only joking. What browser are you using? If not Chrome, try it.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The Samsung Salon3. :eek:
Another piece of info..
In 2014...
Just outside Los Angeles in Valencia, CA Samsung started to build an engineering acoustic team and hired about 15 of the top JBL/Harman acoustic, electronic and mechanical engineers from the Harman Northridge base site. Since Harman has now downsized their Consumer & JBL-Pro groups and moved those functions to off-shore there were many qualified, experienced engineers available. The team based in Valencia has done most of the development for the Samsung sound bars.

In closing, long term Samsung has little interest in the consumer audio categories except for HD flat displays. The primary objective of Samsung is to drive/expand the Harman 12V OE infotainment which delivered 80% of Harman International profits, while selling their silicon chips processors and memory in supporting hardware systems.

Just my $0.02... ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
And a Chinese money pit bought into Dynaudio. I hope they're only using it to infuse money (that's what I was told) and they let Denmark work without interference. If their new in-ceiling speakers are any indication, this is happening- I installed a pair of the 6-1/2" and they're probably the best-sounding in-ceiling speakers I have heard below about $1000 each.
That's old news! The deal was made in October 2014.:D
http://acrosspartners.com/2014/10/23/danish-audio-tech-company-sold-to-chinese-investor-for-usd-41-5m/

TechHDS

Audioholic General
ADTG, same here my friend, if I could afford a pair of Bob Carver's tube monoblock amps:oops: them red one's I would scrap off all my SS gear. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, same here my friend, if I could afford a pair of Bob Carver's tube monoblock amps:oops: them red one's I would scrap off all my SS gear. :)
Not much action today. Slow day.

Could afford or just have money to burn? :D

You could afford it, but you probably don't have money to burn. ;)

If I had money to burn, I would get those $100K amps just for the heck of it. I'm sure they will sound 100 times better than these lowly amps. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh crap, I hope it’s not the loss of Net Neutrality. Use a VPN and see if it works. :D
We've finally got some competition here for internet, a new wireless service has started up and I planned to go vpn as I switch in any case....

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Not much action today. Slow day.

Could afford or just have money to burn? :D

You could afford it, but you probably don't have money to burn. ;)

If I had money to burn, I would get those $100K amps just for the heck of it. I'm sure they will sound 100 times better than these lowly amps. :D
I can afford that Parasound A51, 2 Channel. But yep really don't want to burn the bucks. Over my life time what I have spent on audio/video gear no doubt could have bought a new car easily cash. Your right ADTG, it's been slow in here today.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can afford that Parasound A51, 2 Channel. But yep really don't want to burn the bucks. Over my life time what I have spent on audio/video gear no doubt could have bought a new car easily cash. Your right ADTG, it's been slow in here today.
You meant A21? Wanna buy mine?:D

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Benchmark has Slew Rate of 16V/uS. :eek:

HK receiver has a slew rate of 40V/uS.

Parasound Halo has a slew rate of 130V/uS. :D

http://www.parasound.com/a23.php

Mark Levinson did not list any slew rate either, although it's probably the same as ATI (50-60V/uS) - also Monolith, Outlaw, Cary Audio, etc.

Bryston listed the slew rate at 60V/uS.

Anthem amps' slew rate is 30V/uS.

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=amplifier/model=mca-225/page=specs

Krell - slew rate = 40V/uS.

http://www.krellonline.com/stereo-amps.html#Duo125

McIntosh, PASS, NAD, Rotel, ADCOM, Emotiva, Crown, QSC, Yamaha, Marantz, Denon - no slew rate listed.
More misinformation as usual. I wasn't going to post in this thread again but since AH is supposed to be all about accurate measurements and once again nobody else corrected you I couldn't let it stand.

Here is some information I got directly from John Siau. You cannot compare the slew rate of amplifiers with different power outputs. Slew rate is a function of output voltage and bandwidth. If you want to make comparisons between amplifiers of any power use rise time instead as it is only a function of bandwidth.

4X the power should have 2X the slew rate for the identical bandwidth. Slew rate increases with the square root of the power for a given bandwidth.

Also, there seems to be a misprint and discrepancy in the article that quotes the 16V/uS slew rate. First, the min to max voltage swing is 3.5uS not 3.5mS. Second, they mistakenly called the rail to rail 0% to 100% swing the "rise time". Rise time is actually the time it takes to transition between 10% and 90%. This means that the rise time is less than 3.5uS and consistent with a 200 kHz bandwidth.

I don't know about you guys but IMO, communicating with and getting clarifications directly from the lead engineer himself is one of the benefits of dealing with a respected audio manufacturer like Benchmark Media System.

Here's a Slew Rate Nomograph for anyone that's interested:

Interesting read:
http://sound.whsites.net/amp-sound.htm

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I question Elliott's reasoning about crossover distortion in Class A/B amplifiers.

A well built Class A/B amplifier that has a proper bias voltage applied to the push-pull output stage specifically to eliminate crossover distortion, will not produce any, or if it does, the bias voltage is simply set too low. If there is no bias, then it's a Class B amp. All good Class A/B amp designers know that.

Most Class A/B amplifiers in the audiophile and in the pro audio industry have so low distortion that no one can hear a noticeable difference between them provided that they are driven within their limits. They combine the lower distortion of the Class A design with the higher efficiency of the Class B design.

Have a look at: www.learnabout-electronics.org

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis