Why can't I adjust the speed of my like-new Sony XL300USB turntable?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I passed on belt tt's a long time ago due lack of speed accuracy, and that was for much better quality tts than this basic Sony model (speed variances drove me crazy, too), still have my direct drive Technics SL1200 for 35 years now....altho rarely did I need to adjust speed as it's generally spot on, but I can adjust it if needed and has the built in strobe as well. Really can't see what you're working on altho I've adjusted pots before and have tools that would likely work okay. Would some additional disassembly help you access the parts better? Love to help ya in person but I'm far away.

ps Why do you want a tt if you already have cds of each record?
See my avatar, the belt drive Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, which has served my needs well. What I don't like about it, is that you have to swap belt pulleys under the platter to change from 33 to 45rpm. Or, you can upgrade to the speed box to control it electronically. In practice, I just never really swap to 45, as I don't have many 45s anyway.

But, my SL-1210 DD TT is certainly a better machine in all metrics!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
See my avatar, the belt drive Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, which has served my needs well. What I don't like about it, is that you have to swap belt pulleys under the platter to change from 33 to 45rpm. Or, you can upgrade to the speed box to control it electronically. In practice, I just never really swap to 45, as I don't have many 45s anyway.

But, my SL-1210 DD TT is certainly a better machine in all metrics!
Yeah the belt changing thing never appealed at all....when I got my tt I indeed played 45s regularly (still have most of them, too but been a while since I played any of 'em). :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What am I on? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Fluorescents are the recommended lamps to view strobes.
Why? You wrote "Incandescent lights are not recommended to view a stobe disc" and strobe lights work fine with those. Why would they not be recommended? Any light that flashes at 60 Hz will work.I started selling audio in 1978 and never heard or read anyone say that incandescent couldn't be used.

Actually, I had intended to delete the 'What are you on" comment.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
1 more time-- What your pic shows is the FOAM inside those holes. YES, the FOAM has already been poked through. YES, the trimpots are further inside the unit, PAST the FOAM.

YES, shove your screwdriver (trimpot adjuster tool) THROUGH the FOAM, likely needs to go in ~1/2 inch or so. Push it in GENTLY until it stops! GENTLY begin to rotate the screwdriver until you FEEL THE SCREWDRIVER SEAT INTO THE TRIMPOT.

NOW you can adjust the trimpot to your liking!

If it makes you feel better, or if you think it will give you a better look at the trimpots, then get a set of tweezers and PULL OUT THAT FOAM THAT WE CLEARLY SEE IN YOUR PICS. All that foam is doing is trying to block dust from getting in there, it is not needed in there and is causing you confusion.

Most likely the trimpot will look more like this:
View attachment 43849

or this
View attachment 43850
THANKS for the reply!!!!! I was getting confused with a number of posters indicating that I need to insert the screwdriver all the way through that rubber piece in order to adjust the trimpot but they actually meant that trimmer tool, therefore it seems theres 2 ways to adjust the speed. Using the 3 mm flat screw driver to firmly press onto/ 1/2" into the flat indent thats on that foam/rubber piece, and press it firm enough so you can feel it being coupled and engaging with the trimpot thats below it as you turn it slowly counter clockwise to slightly reduce the speed but this could be hard to do so. THE second way would be to either remove the foam/rubber piece or keep it there and POKE a trimmer tool through it til it also engages into the trimpot so you could turn it.

OTHER REPLIES-
"Those black rubber bits are probably crude "knobs" supposed to make it easier to do the adjustment. The idea will be to insert a small screwdriver into it and turn it, and it should be coupled to the actual adjustment underneath."

"At no time when I was making the adjustments did I feel the screwdriver actually "find home" in the control, even when it did. You will need to make repeated, blind, tiny attempts, perhaps 1/8-1/4 turn at a time. Then re-check speed. Most times nothing will happen. Try again. And again. It took me maybe 20 attempts. After a dozen tries, I found I needed to press inward quite firmly. This process was incredibly frustrating, but you're not alone, everyone who has done it successfully felt the same way you are feeling now.
Good luck. "

"So if you are able to keep turning your screwdrivers in one direction endlessly, you'll know the screwdriver ISN'T properly engaged."

Last edited:
N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Why buy LPs at all these days, tho? I stopped buying them over 20 years ago. Stuff only on vinyl can be different but why such a cheap tt (let alone cartridge it comes with)?
I prefer CDS over LPS/records for best sound quality and convenience. I don't buy anymore LPS except maby a few ones that are not currently being released on CD. Need a turntable mostly to record some LPS from past (and a few current/future) onto CD-R that were never released on CD. This turntable is low in price but being Sony, it has great sound equal to a TT thats a good $300 to $400 if im correct(?).

ONE OTHER QU comes to mind: Why are they still making turntables with belts? 1975=2021?? Thats like buying a CD player thats being driven by a belt. WT!!! And a needle?? First time I bought a CD player in 1983 I thought to myself, "since a lazer plays a compact disc, maby they'll come up with a lazer that plays LPS/records?" And that still didn't happen yet!!!

....THEY DO HAVE a lazer turntable out, but its around $15,000.-

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I prefer CDS over LPS/records for best sound and convenience. I don't buy anymore LPS except maby a few ones that are not currently being released on CD. Need a turntable mostly to record some LPS form past and few from current/future onto CD-R that were never released on CD. This turntable is low in price but being Sony, it has great sound equal to a TT thats a good $300 if im correct.

ONE OTHER QU comes to mind: Why are they still making turntables with belts? 1960=2021?? Thats like buying a CD player thats being driven by a belt. WT!!! And a needle?? First time I bought a CD player in 1988 I thought to myself, "since a lazor plays a compact disc, maby they'll come up with a lazor that plays LPS/records?" And that still didn't happen yet!!!
Belt drives have advantages--Less chance for motor rumble due to motor isolation and cheaper to produce vs. a good Direct Drive.

A lot of audiophiles swear by belt drive. Bullocks! I own 1 of each, my DD is better, but also at 3or 4x the $.

The technics SL1200 is a direct drive, but they engineered out the problem with Direct Drive vs. motor rumble.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
It seems the best tool for this job would be to buy a trimmer tool and poke it through the rubber piece if it can be poked(??), and then when you feel its in the trimpot that is when you turn the tool to make the adjustment because pressing and turning a 3 mm screwdriver too firmly and too often onto the rubber piece may actually damage the trimpot. And also to buy a speed measuring device so I can confirm what the exact speed is. I imagine im looking for 29(??), 30 to 32 rpms but don't know until I buy that device.

I took a chance and tried the same 3 mm screwdriver on the rubber piece again and pressed and turned the 3 mm screwdriver on the rubber piece very firmly a number of times as I was holding the turntable on its side. The rubber piece still did not turn (I guess) but I actually felt the trimpot gadget underneath it and it must of made a turn more than once because now the turntable is.....PLAYING TOO SLOW!!!!!

I then moved the turntable and was able to get underneath the 33 rpm hole as an LP was playing as I inserted the 3 mm screwdriver without turning it and was able to hear the LP speed up and then return back again, then I turned the 3 mm screwdriver a number of times very firmly, didn't work, tried again and the speed increased. It sounds slightly slower than the CD version but thats what I wanted anyways and sounds perfect.(I think). I'll buy a trimmer tool and a speed measuring device to confirm the speed or make further adustments if I need to. FINALLY, VICTORY IS DECLARED!!!!!!

download (2).jpg

Last edited:
N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
SO MY tachometer arrived in the mail today (and works amazing) to allow me to measure the precise speed and make any finally adjustments, but EVER HEARD of the saying, "If you don't have the right tool for the job, you can't do the job or it will be hard as hell?" Well its true.

I found out the reason why it was so difficult to adjust the speed of this Sony turntable and that I was using alot of force onto the rubber bit to try to turn it was because the 3 mm flat screwdriver was too big and this is actually explained in another youtube video I found but don't remember which one. I then used what they used which was a 1.4 mm screwdriver and it went through the rubber bit and into a tiny channel to allow me to turn it with ease and adjust the speed with the help of a tachometer that just arrived in the mail to measure the precise speed.

Although it still took many tries and adjustments with the 1.4 mm screwdriver, like over an hour to get the exact speed I wanted since the speed may jump ahead or back too much even when the turns are tiny, and when adjusting the 45 rpm hole it actually changes whatever you have set your 33 rpms at, its a good thing I only have to record like 2 -12 inch 45's. For the 33 rpm setting, 32 RPM and over is not enough of a change in the speed for me, 31.5 seems slightly too slower, so 31.8 will be what I prefer just to get that extra punch of slightly lower bass freqs in LPS.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
SO MY tachometer arrived in the mail today (and works amazing) to allow me to measure the precise speed and make any finally adjustments, but EVER HEARD of the saying, "If you don't have the right tool for the job, you can't do it or it will be hard as hell?" Well its true. Usually its not the job that is hard its having all the correct and proper tools for the job but in this case the job is also hard even with the right tool.

YES the 3 mm flat screwdriver was not the proper tool that I was painfully using because it was actually too big and couldn't fit through that rubber piece thats why I had to use so much force. I saw another youtube video (not sure which one) and there were a few guys going through the same problem as I was and one guy said you have to use a smaller screwdriver which would be a 1.4 mm flat screwdriver. So I tried that and both the 33 rpm and 45 rpm rubber bits turned very easily. (although the 33 rpm rubber bit was a little out of shape due to all the times I forced that 3 mm, but it was able to go through all the way)

Although it took MANY a tries to get the precise rpms that i wanted, like an hour and 45 minutes, but I finally got it perfect. I reduced the 33 rpm to 31.7 rpm and sounds perfect, and I reduced the 45 rpm to 42.8 rpm to match that calculation (31.7 divided by .74066= 42.8)(originally 33.33 divided by that same amount .74066 will give you 45 rpm).

WOW so the problem from the start was I wasn't using the right tool, a 1.4 mm flat screwdriver goes in perfect all the way until it goes in slightly more and able to turn. Finally victory.....................now I hope the speed will always be precisely the same without ever changing for years and years.
So you have now set your turntable 1.6 RPM too slow, for reasons I'm unable to fathom.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I use an app called "RPM Speed and Wow" and it worked perfect. It's very different from the strobe app I have, it actually puts your phone right on the TT and spins it. I didn't want to believe it would work, but the built-in strobe on the TT confirmed it was right.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
agreed, this thread has become somewhat bizarre !
You may have missed his intro thread, which was not "somewhat" bizarre....

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Speed metal was just a BIT too fast before.
Ha. I have some metal LPS that are all on CD, plus newer metal CDS. Theres a heaviest, slowest low bass freq-reggae dub poetry LP of all time from Linton Kwesi Johnson- Bass culture (1980). Although I have it on CD, but you wouldn't believe what a difference it makes when playing this LP on the lower 31.8 RPM compared to the higher rpm of 34.5 (which I assume thats what this TT was playing before), WOW all the difference in the world, even slightly slower with lower bass/beat freqs than the original 33 that really shake the floors. Im going to make a CD-R recording at 31.8 rpms of this LP when I already have it on CD.

I just have some LPS that I need to record on CD-R, like 10 to 15. Theres a weird-rock LP thats never been released on CD, The Government- Guest list lp that sounds fantastic on 31.8 rpm,, and Portion Control- I staggered mentally, and some others. I also like Alice Cooper quite alot, Black Sabbath, etc, The Residents(one weird band/artists), also some thrash/ speed/ doom/ death/ heavy metal, some stormy symphonies, elevator music with soft female vocals, etc.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hahaha. I have all my metal LPS on CD, and newer ones. Theres a heaviest. slowest low bass freq-reggae dub poetry LP of all time from Linton Kwesi Johnson- Bass culture (1980). Although I have it on CD, but you wouldn't believe what a difference it makes when playing this LP on the lower 31.7 RPM compared to the higher rpm of 34.5 (which I assume thats what this TT was playing before), WOW all the difference in the world, even slightly slower with lower bass/beat freqs than the original 33 that really shake the floors. Im going to make a CD-R recording of this LP when I even have it on CD already. Theres a weird-rock LP thats never been released on CD The Government Guest list that sounds fantastic on 31.7 rpm. I also like Alice Cooper quite alot, Black Sabbath, etc, The Residents(one weird band), bunch of metal, some stormy symphonies, elevator music with soft female vocals, etc. I just have some LPS that I need to record on CD-R, not that many.

Now I need to look for a Sony CD player to allow me to also reduce the speed. Actually its racking my brain on which RPM I want. I don't want it at 32 RPM since its not that much of a difference. 31.7 may be the very-slightest too slow, so maby 31.8 would be the best.
You ever heard of parametric equalizers and/or digital signal processing? You know, tools that are specifically designed to allow the end user to customize the sound to their liking. If you really want a CD player with speed control, you need to be looking at those designed for live DJ performances.

For what it is worth, if you are making digital copies, you should be able to control all of this in the digital domain with the proper audio software.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
For what it is worth, if you are making digital copies, you should be able to control all of this in the digital domain with the proper audio software.
I don't think I can connect a laptop computer to a stereo receiver. (or can you??). I kind of want to play it live (CD-R) connected to the receiver at the lower rpm I prefer without a digital version thats stored as a file. I think a CD-R recording of an LP at 31.8 rpm would have slightly better sound quality than a digital file LP recording that can be set at 31.8 rpm, I believe this is correct.(??).

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think I can connect a laptop computer to a stereo receiver. (or can you??). I kind of want to play it live (CD-R) connected to the receiver at the lower rpm I prefer without a digital version thats stored as a file. I think a CD-R recording of an LP at 31.8 rpm would have slightly better sound quality than a digital file LP recording that can be set at 31.8 rpm, I believe this is correct.(??).
I think you have a lot of learning to do!

I can easily connect a laptop to my AVR! You can't!?!?

How do you think CD-R stores data? It is most certainly a digital file!

Why would you think a digi recording of an inferior analog source would sound better than a superior complete digital audio signal chain????

I think you have a lot of misunderstandings, and perhaps have listened to too many people on the internet that spit out pure rubbish.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
I think you have a lot of learning to do!

I can easily connect a laptop to my AVR! You can't!?!?

How do you think CD-R stores data? It is most certainly a digital file!

Why would you think a digi recording of an inferior analog source would sound better than a superior complete digital audio signal chain????

I think you have a lot of misunderstandings, and perhaps have listened to too many people on the internet that spit out pure rubbish.
Googled.........."If your PC has a digital optical audio output, you can connect it to a digital optical input on a home theater receiver".

It seems I could connect my laptop's digital optical output to my receiver's optical input. But if I made a USB recording from my Sony turntable onto digital files of my laptop and onto a flash drive little device, I would want a more reliable copy of that file onto a CD-R instead of a flash drive, because flash drives/lap tops can become damaged in so many years and then there goes all those digital files. So I would HAVE TO have those digital files burned onto a CD-R because CDS/ CD-RS last for 100 years or longer. So I would then also have to compare both different versions to find out which sounds slightly better. I imagine a CD-R audio version played on a CD player will sound slightly better than a CD-R with digitally burned files being played in a lap top sounding slightly more like audio thats been digitally processed on CD-R. Correct??

Googled- "Among the manufacturers that have done testing, there is consensus that, under recommended storage conditions, CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R discs should have a life expectancy of 100 to 200 years or more".

Googled-
"
Do CDs sound better than digital?
There's no question that CDs sound much better than MP3s.

High-Resolution Audio offers both quality and convenience."

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis