Why can't I adjust the speed of my like-new Sony XL300USB turntable?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Since those screws don't seem to adjust the speed at all, is there any other way to slightly reduce the speed of this turntable (or any turntable) like buying a slightly larger or looser belt? Stretching this belt I already have with this turntable(im serious). Apply something on top of the turntable like a clamp or anything else to come in contact with the rotating table that would reduce the speed just slightly? Im serious, there should be an easy way to reduce the speed of any and all turntables? Be serious with your replies please, how can I do this before I file a pay pal claim for reasons that the 45 rpm and 33 rpm screws are not working and cannot adjust the pitch. This Sony turntable has that feature available (thats why I bought it) for this model which are those screws marked as 45 and 33 rpm (they are there at the bottom of this turntable) in order to adjust pitch but they are not working so I should be entitled for a return. Its like if any other feature would not work on this turntable I would be entitled to return it. The problem will be if I buy another turntable of the exact same model after another seller confirms I can adjust the speed and find out I can't again, then I would have to go through all of this all over again. Im surprised most people don't care to adjust the speed of their turntables with a simple dial or lever and LED digital display built in the turntable to confirm the actual speed BECAUSE ITS WELL KNOWN in time due to usage that the the pitch/ speed of turntables start to change, even in only 2 years of continued use. This speed/pitch problem can never occur with a CD player even after 20 years but I guess most people (and manufacturers) who buy a turntable don't care about the pitch or speed and don't care if that album theyre playing is faster than an actual CD since no new turntables have that feature.
Well, it seems to me you have not been able to turn that screw. If you remove the screw driver and the screw is in the same position you did not move it. Do not abuse the turntable like you suggest. I think you need to download a service manual if you want to change the speed. You have to adjust the 45 RPM speed and then the 33 1/3 RPm speed. A strobe is required.

I can be certain you are not using the correct screwdriver, almost certainly it is because it is too big and not able to be inserted into the screw slot and hitting the outside of the control. I can bet you need a smaller screwdriver.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Perhaps there's a clear platic disc on top of the screw mounted to the plinth, which prevents user from tampering adjustment made at factory? Could be such a disc might need to be removed by disassembly of the plinth.

Last edited:
N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Well, it seems to me you have not been able to turn that screw. If you remove the screw driver and the screw is in the same position you did not move it. Do not abuse the turntable like you suggest. I think you need to download a service manual if you want to change the speed. You have to adjust the 45 RPM speed and then the 33 1/3 RPm speed. A strobe is required.

I can be certain you are not using the correct screwdriver, almost certainly it is because it is too big and not able to be inserted into the screw slot and hitting the outside of the control. I can bet you need a smaller screwdriver.
That service manual doesn't open although I googled Sony XL300usb turntable service manual and the 14 page manual doesn't mention anywhere that the speed can be adjusted by using a screwdriver at bottom of turntable.

Maby you're correct in saying im not using the correct flat screwdriver. I'm using the correct width of 3 mm, and even tried my 2.4 mm, 2 mm, 1.4 mm flat mini screwdrivers, they all fit (?) but the screw doesn't turn, maby the tip of the screwdrivers are too thick or blunt and doesn't fit properly into the slot of the screw since someone left a review of this exact set I bought- "Size in width is good but tip of blade is too blunt for fine work. Better to go with a higher end watch quality screwdriver."

So I guess i'll order a new set of mini screwdrivers that are higher end for precision fine work if that will solve my problem or may not. My luck would be if I order another set they will also not fit because theyre too blunt. Maby I better go to Home depot so I can see precisely what im buying. Thanks.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That service manual doesn't open although I googled Sony XL300usb turntable service manual and the 14 page manual doesn't mention anywhere that the speed can be adjusted by using a screwdriver at bottom of turntable.

Maby you're correct in saying im not using the correct flat screwdriver. I'm using the correct width of 3 mm, and even tried my 2.4 mm, 2 mm, 1.4 mm flat mini screwdrivers, they all fit (?) but the screw doesn't turn, maby the tip of the screwdrivers are too thick or blunt and doesn't fit properly into the slot of the screw since someone left a review of this exact set I bought- "Size in width is good but tip of blade is too blunt for fine work. Better to go with a higher end watch quality screwdriver."

So I guess i'll order a new set of mini screwdrivers that are higher end for precision fine work if that will solve my problem or may not. My luck would be if I order another set they will also not fit because theyre too blunt. Maby I better go to Home depot so I can see precisely what im buying. Thanks.
Well I downloaded the service manual. I gave you the exact instructions. Somehow I think service work is beyond your meagre capabilities.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Well I downloaded the service manual. I gave you the exact instructions. Somehow I think service work is beyond your meagre capabilities.
Well..................I think I found the answer as to how to adjust the speed of this turntable from a guy on the internet but he mentioned what I was trying to turn with my screwdriver are not screws.
HERE is his reply-
"There are no screws in those holes.
There are two potentiometers (also known as trimpots) one for the 33rpm adjustment & one for 45rpm which have a slot for a thin (preferably plastic or non-metallic) trimmer screwdriver.
They can only turn about one revolution of the screwdriver as there are end stops clockwise and anti-clockwise.
The trimpots are inside the motor body and there is usually a foam dust cover in the holes which you need to punch-through gently with the trimmer driver until it locates in the slot of the pot then adjust it slowly until the speed is correct.
If the dust covers are missing and those trimmers turn continuously they’re open goosed.
Either you or a previous owner has been heavy-handed and broken it. "

SO. heres a photo of the 33 rpm and 45 rpm holes in the bottom of my Sony turntable that I might return to an ebay seller. You can see the oval holes in the plastic bottom and then there are holes in the metal sheet and inside each hole is where I was trying to turn the screws (that drove me crazy) but this guy said they are not screws. What are they? Are they the foam that I need push in to remove? Or how will I use the tool on them and what kind? What size of the non-metallic trimmer screwdriver do I need and where can I find it on amazon or ebay?

AS YA can see, in the 33 rpm hole(s) it looks like a flat screw head with a way off-horizontal (kind of distorted) slot or indent (in between horizontal and vertical but it never moved out of place as I was trying to turn that with my 3 mm flat screwdriver) but this guy is saying thats not a screw, what is it and how do i remove it or adjust it since im a amateur, thanks!!!

DSC00028.JPG

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Overall you're just finding out that belt drive turntables can have speed issues, many of them do, and many have no simple way to adjust their speed. As the turntable functions I don't see you have a valid case against the seller in any case, or at least I hope not as that would just be silly. Frustrating perhaps, but typical of the hardware involved. As was said earlier not all media is recorded well and other things in the chain can affect pitch, like many other things in vinyl world can interfere with playback (like on the vinyl itself with poorly punched center holes or having warps). You need to find a way to accurately measure the speed, and even a phone app could get you close I'd think.

Can you provide better pics of what's in the holes? That doesn't appear to match the description of the interface for what the last gentleman described nor for the tool mentioned https://duckduckgo.com/?q=potentiometer+trim+tool&t=ffab&atb=v136-1&iax=images&ia=images

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Since those screws don't seem to adjust the speed at all, is there any other way to slightly reduce the speed of this turntable (or any turntable) like buying a slightly larger or looser belt? Stretching this belt that came with this turntable(im serious). Apply something on top of the turntable like a clamp or a bumper to slightly come in contact with the rotating table that would reduce the speed just slightly? There should be an easy way to reduce the speed of any and all turntables. Be serious with your replies please, how can I do this before I file a pay pal claim for reasons that the 45 rpm and 33 rpm screws are not working and cannot adjust the pitch. This Sony turntable has that feature available (thats why I bought it) for this model which are those screws marked as 45 and 33 rpm (they are there at the bottom of this turntable) in order to adjust pitch but they are not working so I should be entitled for a return. Its like if any other feature would not work on this turntable I would be entitled to return it. The problem will be if I buy another turntable of the exact same model after another seller confirms I can adjust the speed and find out I can't again, then I would have to go through all of this all over again. Im surprised most people don't care to adjust the speed of their turntables with a simple dial or lever and LED digital display built in the turntable to confirm the actual speed BECAUSE ITS WELL KNOWN everywhere in time due to usage that the the pitch/ speed of turntables start to change, even in only 2 years of continued use. This speed/pitch problem can never occur with a CD player even after 20 years but I guess most people (and manufacturers) who buy a turntable don't care if that LP they're playing is faster or slower than an actual CD and don't care to reduce the speed if they desire to since no new turntables have that feature.
A quartz crystal oscillator in a phase locked loop will NEVER go out of whack on the speed, that is the exact reason you would choose this type of timing control circuit, for its inherent reliability based on the oscillations of a quartz crystal.

Next, you insistence that you want a Sony TT for its superior bass is very much questionable.

You need to back up and look at the info that TLSguy is telling you and be sure you understand everything he is telling you. Since you are not taking accurate speed measurements, then your entire conclusion is completely flawed!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well..................I think I found the answer as to how to adjust the speed of this turntable from a guy on the internet but he mentioned what I was trying to turn with my screwdriver are not screws.
HERE is his reply-
"There are no screws in those holes.
There are two potentiometers (also known as trimpots) one for the 33rpm adjustment & one for 45rpm which have a slot for a thin (preferably plastic or non-metallic) trimmer screwdriver.
They can only turn about one revolution of the screwdriver as there are end stops clockwise and anti-clockwise.
The trimpots are inside the motor body and there is usually a foam dust cover in the holes which you need to punch-through gently with the trimmer driver until it locates in the slot of the pot then adjust it slowly until the speed is correct.
If the dust covers are missing and those trimmers turn continuously they’re open goosed.
Either you or a previous owner has been heavy-handed and broken it. "

SO. heres a photo of the 33 rpm and 45 rpm holes in the bottom of my Sony turntable that I might return to an ebay seller. You can see the oval holes in the plastic bottom and then there are holes in the metal sheet and inside each hole is where I was trying to turn the screws (that drove me crazy) but this guy said they are not screws. What are they? Are they the foam that I need push in to remove? Or how will I use the tool on them and what kind? What size of the non-metallic trimmer screwdriver do I need and where can I find it on amazon or ebay?

AS YA can see, in the 33 rpm hole(s) it looks like a flat screw head with a way off-horizontal (kind of distorted) slot or indent (in between horizontal and vertical but it never moved out of place as I was trying to turn that with my 3 mm flat screwdriver) but this guy is saying thats not a screw, what is it and how do i remove it or adjust it since im a amateur, thanks!!!

View attachment 43794
Yeah, if only "somebody" (like me!) had told you IN POST #12 that what you are calling screws are most likely "pots".......

What we see in this picture is the FOAM that he was telling you about! Which has already been punched through! You can't see the pots due to that foam, and you don't need to see them either.

Let me make it 100% clear-- There is NO PROBLEM WITH THIS TURNTABLE! The problem is that you do not have a clue what you are doing, and you do not understand the clear cut advice and instructions that you have been given.

You should feel the screwdriver seat into the slot on the top of the "trimpots", and you should feel it when it turns. Anyone that has done such work a few times will know this immediately by FEEL, and you clearly have never done this so you clearly don't know the proper feel for seating the screwdriver blade and turning a pot.

You CANNOT see the "screws" (i.e. trimpots) due to that piece of foam, so when you said you "can see that the screw did not turn", that isn't accurate b/c you can't see the screw (trimpot) at all!

highfigh

highfigh

So I finally bought a turntable to record some LPS onto CD-R that were never released on CD and decided to buy a Sony XL300USB turntable The problem is the 33 rpm speed of the turntable is slightly faster (just slightly) when comparing the same song from a CD. I read and saw on youtube that at the bottom of the turntable there are 2 holes, one marked as 45 rpm and the other as 33 rpm with small flat head screws in holes that can be turned to adjust the speed. So I got a strong lamp and my universal type of glasses to be able to see the small screws in the clear and turned the 33 rpm screw just a little to counter clock wise.(left) which I assume is the direction in order to reduce the speed, and then played an LP and it made no difference in the speed. I kept on doing this a number of times and it never changed the speed whatsover. The screw driver is not defective and is in fact turning but the small flat head screw doesn't seem to be turning so I imagine whatever the screw is connected to is whats turning but not the screw itself. Anyone know what im doing wrong and how do I adjust the speed of this turntable before I return it back to the seller?

Another thing is im surprised that all turntables don't have a simple dial on turntable to adjust the speed of an LP and to confirm its actual speed on an LED display. Sometimes or often people may want to play an LP just slightly slower than the actual speed, you'll get slightly lower bass and drum frequencies that way sounding cooler.
This turntable retails for $129- don't expect miracles. It's not made for users to change the speed and the reason the pitch doesn't match the CD is because they may have returned to the original speed when they mastered the CD- it was common practice to change the speed when mastering for LPs because it wouldn't fit on the record or it was longer than the standard for radio format.

Lower frequencies could very well cause the stylus to not track the groove properly. Check the time for the tracks on LP and CD- if they're different, I would bet that the CD track is longer unless they edited it and if they're the same length, they probably adjusted the pitch of the CD.

Did you look for a turntable that can be adjusted or did the seller say it was adjustable? Usually, if the manufacturer intends for people to adjust the pitch, the control is on the top of the base.

highfigh

highfigh

Incandescent lights are not recommended to view a stobe disc. The filament in an incandescent light bulb never really has a chance to go out during the 60hz cycle of the electricity. Fluorescent lamps go completely off and on 60 times per second. They have no filament to cool down.
What are you on? The light doesn't need to go off completely, it just needs to go brighter and dimmer with a specific frequency. What kinds of light were used when those speed discs became available? Incandescent and florescent. Or, fire, but that obviously has no use for this. They added a strobe to turntables- what kind of light did they use? possibly neon, but again, it only needed to flicker, not go fully on and off.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This is likely the cheapest TT with pitch adjustment slider on the plinth

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
What are you on? The light doesn't need to go off completely, it just needs to go brighter and dimmer with a specific frequency. What kinds of light were used when those speed discs became available? Incandescent and florescent. Or, fire, but that obviously has no use for this. They added a strobe to turntables- what kind of light did they use? possibly neon, but again, it only needed to flicker, not go fully on and off.
What am I on? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Fluorescents are the recommended lamps to view strobes.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
What am I on? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Fluorescents are the recommended lamps to view strobes.
again, I gotta agree, tried with both yesterday and my fluorescent trouble light was far better with respect to visibility

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
I tried a number of LPS I have on CDS and they all played slightly faster than their CDS on this turntable.

I'm kind of getting different replies including from other gents online:

Yeah, if only "somebody" (like me!) had told you IN POST #12 that what you are calling screws are most likely "pots".......

What we see in this picture is the FOAM that he was telling you about! Which has already been punched through! You can't see the pots due to that foam, and you don't need to see them either.

You should feel the screwdriver seat into the slot on the top of the "trimpots", and you should feel it when it turns. Anyone that has done such work a few times will know this immediately by FEEL, and you clearly have never done this so you clearly don't know the proper feel for seating the screwdriver blade and turning a pot.

You CANNOT see the "screws" (i.e. trimpots) due to that piece of foam, so when you said you "can see that the screw did not turn", that isn't accurate b/c you can't see the screw (trimpot) at all!
SO was the foam removed or are they still there? Do I need to remove them in order to insert the tool to reach the trimpots below that??
------
"These are the type of trimming tools you would use for adjusting trimpots..You would use whichever flat-bladed one fits the slot. Ignore my previous note of a foam dust cover, the trimpot adjustment is a different type and is clearly visible through the hole in your picture, it's arrow shaped and you should be able to turn it clockwise and anti-clockwise with a stop at either end. If it turns continually with no change in speed that suggests it or the motor is broken."
Trimmer tool set photo-
trimmer tool set.jpg

-------
Other reply from another guy:
-------
"I can only really see the 33 hole in your pic but that doesn't look like a pot to me, more like a the foam or other cover. The "slot" being what you've created with your screwdriver. I'd try a pair of tweezers & see if that is indeed something soft that can be removed.
Would expect to see a clearly defined slot like one of these. Click "images" for more examples. "
---------
Any chance that is foam in that hole that can be removed and under that would be the trimpot? I grabbed it with a tweezer and it seems like its made out of rubber that can be broken apart but not sure if it can be removed. Or is that a trimpot that can be adjusted with one of those trimmer tools? I believe the previous owner made that indent with his mini flat screwdriver because before I even used my flat screwdriver on it I checked with a light to confirm which screwdriver I needed and noticed that slot.
Close up photos of 33/ 45 rpm holes-
1611060146520.png
161110657355235373kkkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's a reason there's no user-adjustable speed control in the manual....and it's probably not that people don't care for speed control, at least those who know what it's for....but more likely it isn't on this particular tt is to keep costs down for the very low price of these units. Curious, what did you pay?

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
There's a reason there's no user-adjustable speed control in the manual....and it's probably not that people don't care for speed control, at least those who know what it's for....but more likely it isn't on this particular tt is to keep costs down for the very low price of these units. Curious, what did you pay?
A really good price and was like new, around $95 Canadian including the shipping. Sony XL300USB turntable brand new is over $200- 250. Its not about the price since $95 is not alot at all, its about two things, LPS are playing slightly faster than 33 rpm on this turntable when this is a 33 rpm turntable and not a 35 or 36, although I don't have the devices to measure the speed in order to prove it, maby I should buy one so I could prove this, secondly this turntable seems to have an option to reduce the speed because at the bottom of the turntable are the 33 and 45 rpm holes where an adjustment can be made which they may not be working or too difficult to get to.

AND I found online that heres a piece or device that may be directly below those 2 holes and inside this turntable and may be where the adjustment is made to adjust the speed if im correct. If that piece is directly below those 2 holes, where exactly is the 33 rpm hole and 44 rpm hole directly above that and how do I insert a tool to make the adjustment? Do I need to break apart those black things with indents in the metal holes that I thought were screws in order to insert the correct tool to reach that piece/device? (this thread kind of got frantic and a little crazy all because this turntable doesn't have a dial on top to reduce the speed since it plays records slightly faster than 33 rpm because most people don't care for that feature on a turntable, hahahaha).
b_20607iiiiiiiiiii.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A really good price and was like new, around $95 Canadian including the shipping. Sony XL300USB turntable brand new is over $200- 250. Its not about the price since $95 is not alot at all, its about two things, LPS are playing slightly faster than 33 rpm on this turntable when this is a 33 rpm turntable and not a 35 or 36, although I don't have the devices to measure the speed in order to prove it, maby I should buy one so I could prove this, secondly this turntable seems to have an option to reduce the speed because at the bottom of the turntable are the 33 and 45 rpm holes where an adjustment can be made which they may not be working or too difficult to get to.

AND I found online that heres a piece or device that may be directly below those 2 holes and inside this turntable and may be where the adjustment is made to adjust the speed if im correct. If that piece is directly below those 2 holes, where exactly is the 33 rpm hole and 44 rpm hole directly above that and how do I insert a tool to make the adjustment? Do I need to break apart those black things with indents in the metal holes that I thought were screws in order to insert the correct tool to reach that piece/device? (this thread kind of got frantic and a little crazy all because this turntable doesn't have a dial on top to reduce the speed since it plays records slightly faster than 33 rpm because people don't care for that feature on a turntable, hahahaha).
View attachment 43835
I passed on belt tt's a long time ago due lack of speed accuracy, and that was for much better quality tts than this basic Sony model (speed variances drove me crazy, too), still have my direct drive Technics SL1200 for 35 years now....altho rarely did I need to adjust speed as it's generally spot on, but I can adjust it if needed and has the built in strobe as well. Really can't see what you're working on altho I've adjusted pots before and have tools that would likely work okay. Would some additional disassembly help you access the parts better? Love to help ya in person but I'm far away.

ps Why do you want a tt if you already have cds of each record?

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
I passed on belt tt's a long time ago due lack of speed accuracy, and that was for much better quality tts than this basic Sony model (speed variances drove me crazy, too), still have my direct drive Technics SL1200 for 35 years now....altho rarely did I need to adjust speed as it's generally spot on, but I can adjust it if needed and has the built in strobe as well. Really can't see what you're working on altho I've adjusted pots before and have tools that would likely work okay. Would some additional disassembly help you access the parts better? Love to help ya in person but I'm far away.

ps Why do you want a tt if you already have cds of each record?
That Technics SL1200 sounds great, reliable, spot on accuracy. speed adjust and lasts for many years. I bought alot of my favorite LPS on CDS but not of every LP, and would like to make CD-R copies of some of my other LPS that were never released on CD. I want to make CD-R copies NOT of slightly faster versions of those records that this turntable is producing. Sure I can always lower the pitch on my Sony CD player but it actually doesnt have that feature. I only paid $95 Cad.in total including shipping for this very good or great turntable so if I can't reduce the speed by adjusting where I need to, i'll find another way to reduce the speed perhaps.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That Technics SL1200 sounds great, reliable, spot on accuracy. speed adjust and lasts for many years.

Not of each record, I bought alot of my favorite LPS on CDS, and would like to make CD-R copies of some of my other LPS that were never released on CD like some underground lps like Portion Control- I staggered mentally, The Government Guest List(their weird rock really). I like alot of metal bands, death metal, and rock/ hard rock as well, Alice Cooper of course, The Residents(weird advant garde band), even some muzak or elevator music with soft female vocals, and some stormy symphonies on CD. Theres a very heavy reggae slow dub poetry LP, Linton Kwesi Johnson- Bass Culture that I have both on LP and CD and sounds amazing on CD. No one would believe the difference just by reducing the pitch slightly using your thumb as it slightly touches this rotating turntable how much more heavy with lower bass freqs it sounds. LIKE DAY FROM NIGHT just by slightly reducing the pitch but I guess most people dont care about that. I want to make CD-R copies not of slightly faster version of my records that this turntable is producing.
Why buy LPs at all these days, tho? I stopped buying them over 20 years ago. Stuff only on vinyl can be different but why such a cheap tt (let alone cartridge it comes with)?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

AND I found online that heres a piece or device that may be directly below those 2 holes and inside this turntable and may be where the adjustment is made to adjust the speed if im correct. If that piece is directly below those 2 holes, where exactly is the 33 rpm hole and 44 rpm hole directly above that and how do I insert a tool to make the adjustment? Do I need to break apart those black things with indents in the metal holes that I thought were screws in order to insert the correct tool to reach that piece/device? (this thread kind of got frantic and a little crazy all because this turntable doesn't have a dial on top to reduce the speed since it plays records slightly faster than 33 rpm because most people don't care for that feature on a turntable, hahahaha).
View attachment 43835
I have already told you EXACTLY what you need to do, and EXACTLY what you are showing in your pics! PLEASE REVIEW AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW. If you cannot or will not understand and follow my advice, then you have no business with a screwdriver in your hands! In that case, you are beyond help here, give it up and move along.

1 more time-- What your pic shows is the FOAM inside those holes. YES, the FOAM has already been poked through. YES, the trimpots are further inside the unit, PAST the FOAM.

YES, shove your screwdriver (trimpot adjuster tool) THROUGH the FOAM, likely needs to go in ~1/2 inch or so. Push it in GENTLY until it stops! GENTLY begin to rotate the screwdriver until you FEEL THE SCREWDRIVER SEAT INTO THE TRIMPOT.

NOW you can adjust the trimpot to your liking!

If it makes you feel better, or if you think it will give you a better look at the trimpots, then get a set of tweezers and PULL OUT THAT FOAM THAT WE CLEARLY SEE IN YOUR PICS. All that foam is doing is trying to block dust from getting in there, it is not needed in there and is causing you confusion.

Most likely the trimpot will look more like this:
1611148985188.png

or this
1611149086065.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis