Why can't I adjust the speed of my like-new Sony XL300USB turntable?

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
So I finally bought a turntable to record some LPS onto CD-R that were never released on CD and decided to buy a Sony XL300USB turntable The problem is the 33 rpm speed of the turntable is slightly faster (just slightly) when comparing the same song from a CD. I read and saw on youtube that at the bottom of the turntable there are 2 holes, one marked as 45 rpm and the other as 33 rpm with small flat head screws in holes that can be turned to adjust the speed. So I got a strong lamp and my universal type of glasses to be able to see the small screws in the clear and turned the 33 rpm screw just a little to counter clock wise.(left) which I assume is the direction in order to reduce the speed, and then played an LP and it made no difference in the speed. I kept on doing this a number of times and it never changed the speed whatsover. The screw driver is not defective and is in fact turning but the small flat head screw doesn't seem to be turning so I imagine whatever the screw is connected to is whats turning but not the screw itself. Anyone know what im doing wrong and how do I adjust the speed of this turntable before I return it back to the seller?

Another thing is im surprised that all turntables don't have a simple dial on turntable to adjust the speed of an LP and to confirm its actual speed on an LED display. Sometimes or often people may want to play an LP just slightly slower than the actual speed, you'll get slightly lower bass and drum frequencies that way sounding cooler.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I finally bought a turntable to record some LPS onto CD-R that were never released on CD and decided to buy a Sony XL300USB turntable The problem is the 33 rpm speed of the turntable is slightly faster (just slightly) when comparing the same song from a CD. I read and saw on youtube that at the bottom of the turntable there are 2 holes, one marked as 45 rpm and the other as 33 rpm with small flat head screws in holes that can be turned to adjust the speed. So I got a strong lamp and my universal type of glasses to be able to see the small screws in the clear and turned the 33 rpm screw just a little to counter clock wise.(left) which I assume is the direction in order to reduce the speed, and then played an LP and it made no difference in the speed. I kept on doing this a number of times then even continuously turning the screw and it never changed the speed whatsover. I then took a much closer look as I was turning the flat head screw and noticed the screw driver does turn but the flat head screw doesn't so I imagine whatever the screw is connected to is whats turning but not the screw itself. Anyone know what im doing wrong and how do I adjust the speed of this turntable before I return it back to the seller?

Another thing is im surprised that all turntables don't have a simple dial on turntable to adjust the speed of an LP and to confirm its actual speed on an LED display. Sometimes or often people may want to play an LP just slightly slower than the actual speed, you'll get slightly lower bass and drum frequencies that way sounding cooler.
If what you say is correct then then screwdriver is not engaging the screw and so is the wrong screwdriver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You might want to buy a strobe disk to check the accuracy of your turntable.
The problem is that strobes are now pretty much useless, as they do not work with LED lighting, only incandescent. iPhones you can download and app for your iPhone though.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Strobily is an Android app. Disclaimer - I have not used it.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
The problem is that strobes are now pretty much useless, as they do not work with LED lighting, only incandescent. iPhones you can download and app for your iPhone though.
Strobe disks do not work with incandescent lights, they work with fluorescent lights.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
If what you say is correct then then screwdriver is not engaging the screw and so is the wrong screwdriver.
I just tried it again a 5th time now and I don't understand it. The 3 mm flat screw driver is not defective and fits perfectly into the flat small screw, and the screw driver turns correctly but the small screw always stays in its exact position.(although after I insert the screwdriver I cannot see the small screw anymore as the screw driver is turning because it completely gets dark). But before I insert the screwdriver I can see the flat indent of the screw is slightly off horizontally and never changes from that angle no matter how little or much I turn the screw driver. I made tiny turns with this screw driver thinking the flat indent of the screw would change vertically but it never changes whatsover as if the housing below the screw thats not seen is whats turning as the small flat screw head remains in place. As if the speed of this turn table cannot be adjusted and is permanently fixed. Maby some turntables of this exact model cannot have the speed adjusted and I happen to buy that turntable because I have bad luck??

I know its not that serious but I prefer to play LPS just slightly slower than the actual speed but this turntable is playing LPS slightly faster and this is not acceptable for me. I will have to return it and do some heavy long research to find out which turntables( I prefer Sony because they have best bass response) will have some kind of dial or knob on the turntable to allow me to adjust the speed and a digital display confirming the exact speed would be nice (not using an iphone please---besides iphones cannot adjust the speed and I don't even have an iphone). Come 2021 and they still don't have this avaliable as a dial and display for turntables(??)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are turntables with good speed controls and adjustability and built in strobes. You have to buy one of them if you want those features, tho.

I see nothing in your manual about speed adjustments. I also don't understand how you can engage a flat head screwdriver and have proper contact with the screw head and not turn the screw but yet turn the screwdriver....

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
There are turntables with good speed controls and adjustability and built in strobes. You have to buy one of them if you want those features, tho.

I see nothing in your manual about speed adjustments. I also don't understand how you can engage a flat head screwdriver and have proper contact with the screw head and not turn the screw but yet turn the screwdriver....
I don't understand that either unless since I cannot see the small screw at all as I turn the screw driver(no matter how bright the light is), maby its possible the screw is actually turning since I can somewhat feel it turning faintly(I think) but as I remove the screw driver maby the small screw springs back into the original slightly off horizontal position and I can't see that, or maby as I said the housing beneath the screw is turning and the screw doesn't maby due to a washer in between the screw and its connection(housing). (????).

Heres a youtube video confirming you can adjust the speed of this exact Sony model by turning the small screw in the hole marked as 33 rpm on the back, although in his case he wants to increase the speed because his album is playing slightly slower. AT 3:05 on this video he confirms with an iphone that his turntable is playing at 28 rpms and then he turns the turntable on its side to reach the bottom hole with his screw driver to adjust the speed, but it doesn't work in my case.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Try adjusting the 45rpm first then adjust the 33rpm. Be careful and turn slightly slow. I just did it with my Pioneer that I bought used recently and now it's working flawlessly so far.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Did you try to turn the screw the other direction to see what happens?

Perhaps it is already backed out as far as it can go?

SL-1200 is an excellent TT with a quartz crystal phase locked loop for very accurate timing, and the ability to adjust the speed on the fly with a slider, and a built in strobe to check the speed.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Try adjusting the 45rpm first then adjust the 33rpm. Be careful and turn slightly slow. I just did it with my Pioneer that I bought used recently and now it's working flawlessly so far.
Did you try to turn the screw the other direction to see what happens?

Perhaps it is already backed out as far as it can go?
I tried all of that, adjusting the 45 rpm screw then the 33 rpm screw made no difference, turning the screwdriver in different directions made no difference. Its possible Sony made an update to this exact model and disabled that option to adjust the speed/ pitch by making these screws useless like screw dummies. I made another extreme close look with bright light as I turned the screwdriver and then quickly removed the screwdriver and I don't see at all any sign that the screw springed back to its original position. The screw heads don't seem to turn at all and are permanently fixed in place but the screwdriver is turning something. Only a special Sony tech might know whats going on here with their newest version of this exact model but how to contact the exact right person is the question. It seems I have to return this turntable to the ebay seller. Maby i'll send an email to Sony before I do but very possible the person there won't know.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I tried all of that, adjusting the 45 rpm screw then the 33 rpm screw made no difference, turning the screwdriver in different directions made no difference. Its possible Sony made an update to this exact model and disabled that option to adjust the speed/ pitch by making these screws useless like screw dummies. I made another extreme close look with bright light as I turned the screwdriver and then quickly removed the screwdriver and I don't see at all any sign that the screw springed back to its original position. The screw heads don't seem to turn at all and are permanently fixed in place but the screwdriver is turning something. Only a special Sony tech might know whats going on here with their newest version of this exact model but how to contact the exact right person is the question. It seems I have to return this turntable to the ebay seller. Maby i'll send an email to Sony before I do but very possible the person there won't know.
These "screws" that you are talking about, I would have to guess that you are actually turning a potentiometer. It is not uncommon for a pot to get a small drop of glue from the factory to "lock" it in place. Often in the DIY realm, you would set the pot, then put a small drop of fingernail polish on it to both "lock" it in place, and mark it. Regardless, the intent is to simply make it stay in place, until you are ready to actually make an adjustment.

When you insert a screwdriver into a slotted screw, you should be able to feel it when it properly aligns in the slot, and you should be able to feel the difference from turning a screw vs. not. But, what you are describing seems to suggest that the screw is NOT turning at all. You have to get a "feel" for these things, it is quite common to be able to see what you are doing, or feel what you are doing, but never both at the same time.

How are you measuring the speed of your TT revolutions? How do you know that nothing has changed?

I have a feeling that there is something missing here, some key detail of something you have over looked.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
These "screws" that you are talking about, I would have to guess that you are actually turning a potentiometer. It is not uncommon for a pot to get a small drop of glue from the factory to "lock" it in place. Often in the DIY realm, you would set the pot, then put a small drop of fingernail polish on it to both "lock" it in place, and mark it. Regardless, the intent is to simply make it stay in place, until you are ready to actually make an adjustment.

When you insert a screwdriver into a slotted screw, you should be able to feel it when it properly aligns in the slot, and you should be able to feel the difference from turning a screw vs. not. But, what you are describing seems to suggest that the screw is NOT turning at all. You have to get a "feel" for these things, it is quite common to be able to see what you are doing, or feel what you are doing, but never both at the same time.

How are you measuring the speed of your TT revolutions? How do you know that nothing has changed?

I have a feeling that there is something missing here, some key detail of something you have over looked.
I'm not measuring the speed since I don't have that device/ iphone but playing a few songs from several LPS and I notice the speed is slightly faster than normal and doesn't change at all after making continued adjustments. Also I played a same song from a CD precisely starting at the same time as the song from the LP and at the beginning both songs match but as the seconds to minutes go by the song from the LP gets up to 3 seconds ahead, 6 seconds, then 10 seconds ahead and so on.

I do feel this 3 mm screwdriver being inserted into the slot/ horizontal indent of the screw head (has a sort of magnetic feel to it), and I do ever so slightly and faintly feel the screw turning but must be something else turning. With normal screws flatly on a surface its very easy to tell when turning a screw just slightly, the angle of the slot/ indent would slightly change with each tiny turn, the angle of this slot never changes. Although when the screwdriver is inserted its impossible to see the screw beneath it because its completely dark and light cannot get through no matter how close the lamp is so I can't tell for a fact if this screw is turning or not turning due to the screw being in a small hole. Maby I need a different tool for this job?? How I wish they would of placed these screws flatly on the surface instead of inside holes thats extremely difficult to see and adjust, and can't see at all when screwdriver is inserted like a guessing game. Maby they applied too much glue on the screws that permanently locked the screws in place but the question is what is turning if its not the head screw??? (I think I give up).

The ebay seller did not reply and its stated on the ebay description that this seller doesn't accept returns unless item is defective. Looks like im going to have to open a paypal dispute since the speed/pitch is slightly faster than what it was suppose to play at 33 rpms (since my CD player confirmed this but not a device) and the 33 rpm screw to reduce the speed doesn't work at all, unless do I need a special tool?? OR can you only adjust the pitch/ speed with older XL300USB models?

Lastly is there a way to open up this turntable and by doing so would I be able to easily see the screw level on a flat surface without the screw being in a small hole the way it is now, then I could tell if this screwdriver is turning the screw or not. But this may avoid the return and im even afraid to mention this to the seller that I tried to adjust the speed with a screwdriver and the speed doesn't change because he may not accept a return for that reason as well. Im screwed but then again if that screw is meant to reduce the speed for this model and it doesn't work that means this turntable has a defect and I have the right to return it for a refund.

Although im happy with the sound quality of this Sony xl300usb turntable, great bass response but I cannot accept this turntable since I cannot reduce the speed where the bass/ and drum freqs will sound even better and to my exact liking. I'll have to return it, get a refund, then search on ebay for the exact same model again from Sony but from a different seller but this time i'll have to ask the different seller if he himself was able to reduce the speed of his turntable that hes selling or if he can confirm if the speed can be adjusted for a fact, and how exactly and what exact tool to use, and then i'll buy that one from that different seller, and maby be stuck with this one if other seller won't accept a return. OR i'll look for another model that has a dial or knob on the turntable to easily adjust the speed/ pitch, that way i'll be on the safe side where an extreme disappointment like this one won't happen again. I wonder if Sony has any models like that since I only prefer Sony for best bass response.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
for calibrating my VPI Aries 3 I've always used the strobe disc and a hand held fluorescent trouble light. Never even tried with an incandescent bulb, but i will next time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm not measuring the speed but playing a few songs from several LPS and I notice the speed is slightly faster than normal and doesn't change at all after making continued adjustments. Also I played a same song from a CD precisely starting at the same time as the song from the LP and at the beginning both songs match but as the seconds to minutes go by the song from the LP gets up to 3 seconds ahead, 6 seconds, then 10 seconds ahead and so on.

I do feel this 3 mm screwdriver being inserted into the slot of the screw head (has a sort of magnetic feel to it), and I do ever so slightly and faintly feel the screw turning but must be something else turning. With normal screws flatly on a surface its very easy to tell when turning a screw just slightly, the angle of the slot would slightly change it's angle with each tiny turn, the angle of this slot never changes. Although when the screwdriver is inserted its impossible to see the screw beneath it because its completely dark and light cannot get through so I can't tell for a fact if this screw is turning or not turning due to the screw being in a small hole. Maby I need a different tool for this job?? How I wish they would of placed these screws flatly on the surface instead of inside holes thats extremely difficult to see and adjust, and can't see at all when screwdriver is inserted like a guessing game. Maby they applied too much glue on the screws that permanently locked the screws in place but the question is what is turning if its not the head screw??? (I think I give up).

The ebay seller did not reply and its stated on the ebay description that this seller doesn't accept returns unless item is defective. Looks like im going to have to open a paypal dispute since the speed/pitch is slightly faster than what it was suppose to play at 33 rpms (since my CD player confirmed this but not a device) and the 33 rpm screw to reduce the speed doesn't work at all, unless do I need a special tool??

Lastly is there a way to open up this turntable and by doing so would I be able to easily see the screw level on a flat surface without the screw being in a small hole the way it is now, then I could tell if this screwdriver is turning the screw or not. But this may avoid the return and im even afraid to mention this to the seller that I tried to adjust the speed with a screwdriver and the speed doesn't change because he may not accept a return for that reason as well. Im screwed but then again if that screw is meant to reduce the speed for this model and it doesn't work that means this turntable has a defect and I have the right to return it for a refund.

Although im happy with the sound quality of this Sony xl300usb turntable, great bass response but I cannot accept this turntable since I cannot reduce the speed where the bass/ and drum freqs will sound even better and to my exact liking. I'll have to return it, get a refund, then search on ebay for the exact same model again from Sony but from a different seller but this time i'll have to ask the different seller if he himself was able to reduce the speed of his turntable that hes selling or if he can confirm if the speed can be adjusted for a fact, and how exactly and what exact tool to use, and then i'll buy that one from that different seller, and maby be stuck with this one if other seller won't accept a return. OR i'll look for another model that has a dial or knob on the turntable to easily adjust the speed/ pitch, that way i'll be on the safe side where an extreme disappointment like this one won't happen again. I wonder if Sony has any models like that since I only prefer Sony for best bass response.
Your problem is that you do not know which speed is correct, in the chain. If this is an older analog recording, one of the tape machines may have been slightly at the wrong speed, the cutting lathe speed may have been off. You have no idea at all your turntable is running at the wrong speed.
If you want to adjust the speed, then you probably need to buy a vintage turntable from a time when pitch control was common.

I strongly suspect your turntable is fine, and you are raising a fuss over a non issue. It is very common for different media to have slight variations in speed and therefore pitch.

Before you fuss about that turntable you need a very accurate speed measurement. Cell phones will not be accurate enough. You need a non LED light source and a strobe disc. You absolutely should not make a speed adjustment to any turntable without the equipment to accurately measure the speed.

Lastly don't go hassling a guy who is far more likely than not an honest seller, who has sold your a perfectly functioning item in good faith. If you keep this up you will get a deserved reputation as a nut job.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
for calibrating my VPI Aries 3 I've always used the strobe disc and a hand held fluorescent trouble light. Never even tried with an incandescent bulb, but i will next time.
Incandescent lights are not recommended to view a stobe disc. The filament in an incandescent light bulb never really has a chance to go out during the 60hz cycle of the electricity. Fluorescent lamps go completely off and on 60 times per second. They have no filament to cool down.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Incandescent lights are not recommended to view a stobe disc. The filament in an incandescent light bulb never really has a chance to go out during the 60hz cycle of the electricity. Fluorescent lamps go completely off and on 60 times per second. They have no filament to cool down.
True, but they dim enough you can easily read the strobe. Fluorescent are better, but more awkward. In times passed I just used to use the incandescent bulb form the cabinet light.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
True, but they dim enough you can easily read the strobe. Fluorescent are better, but more awkward. In times passed I just used to use the incandescent bulb form the cabinet light.
wrong and I just tried it ! Fluorescent IS the correct light to use !

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Since those screws don't seem to adjust the speed at all, is there any other way to slightly reduce the speed of this turntable (or any turntable) like buying a slightly larger or looser belt? Stretching this belt that came with this turntable(im serious). Apply something on top of the turntable like a clamp or a bumper to slightly come in contact with the rotating table that would reduce the speed just slightly? There should be an easy way to reduce the speed of any and all turntables. Be serious with your replies please, how can I do this before I file a pay pal claim for reasons that the 45 rpm and 33 rpm screws are not working and cannot adjust the pitch. This Sony turntable has that feature available (thats why I bought it) for this model which are those screws marked as 45 and 33 rpm (they are there at the bottom of this turntable) in order to adjust pitch but they are not working so I should be entitled for a return. Its like if any other feature would not work on this turntable I would be entitled to return it. The problem will be if I buy another turntable of the exact same model after another seller confirms I can adjust the speed and find out I can't again, then I would have to go through all of this all over again. Im surprised most people don't care to adjust the speed of their turntables with a simple dial or lever and LED digital display built in the turntable to confirm the actual speed BECAUSE ITS WELL KNOWN everywhere in time due to usage that the the pitch/ speed of turntables start to change, even in only 2 years of continued use. This speed/pitch problem can never occur with a CD player even after 20 years but I guess most people (and manufacturers) who buy a turntable don't care if that LP they're playing is faster or slower than an actual CD and don't care to reduce the speed if they desire to since no new turntables have that feature.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis