Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
We'd like to get your opinion on who you feel makes the best built and best sounding loudspeakers in consumer audio. Your opinion should be based primarily on sound quality followed by build quality and durability. This choice should be based on the overall product line of a particular company and not just one or two products that may excel.

If you find a particular brand on this list lacking, please indicate why.

Give us reasons why you chose a particular brand or why you feel that particular brand shines above the others on this list. If your brand isn't listed here (sorry only 10 polling options allowed), please post the brand name in the thread along with your experiences.
No SVS Sound??

S

Sadie42

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, those are nice and getting a lot of great reviews - for both sound and construction quality.

I did 20 years of Klipsch, and I put them pretty high up on the list, though I finally grew tired of the sound signature and have moved on to ATC.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
No SVS Sound??
No and half of the original list wouldn't even qualify by todays current speaker offerings. The list/thread needs serious updating, better to do it within given price points IMO

Blue2kid3

Blue2kid3

Audioholic Intern
I said Harman as well it's the truth but I would toss in a second to klipsch and sound united (polk) as tied for best bang for the buck

Jenzard

Jenzard

Audiophyte
Our entry level system is Polk and I think they have amazing sound! I really enjoy my Polk RTI A9's, had them for about 4.5 years now. I have a Polk CSI A6 center channel and last week decided to change up our rear speaks to Polk S10's, my goodness those little guys rock, I assume it is because i had plastic construction compared to these, I think that has made a big difference.. Our Polks seem to be happy with our JL Audio Sub E112. I am pushing all of this currently thru an Onkyo TX-RZ810 AVR. We also have 4 zones of Polk Atriums for patios/garage. Pulled the trigger finally and dropped some cash on an Emotiva BassX-400z to lite them up. Wish list is to upgrade to a 5.1.2. Thinking Polk 70-RT?? Definitely chasing Unicorns over here...

N

narandr

Audiophyte
There exists no speakers better than ATC. A little less price level are Dynaudio

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
I'm not able to take this poll. As of today the best speakers I have ever heard were a pair of Focal Sopra 1. They were the most fun and engaging speakers I have heard. Not to mention they had a ton of detail. If I can find something close to that for under 2k to pair with my new A-S1200 I will declare victory!

S

Sadie42

Audioholic Intern
I've been at this for a very long time and am now happily sitting with a pair of ATC SCM20psl mk 2.

But some things have changed. I'm older, listen at much lower levels than I used to, and back to where I literally started -- listening quasi near-field. I'd forgotten how cool this is and the ATC's are great speakers for this.

Also, over time, and at a certain quality level, you begin to realize that things are not necessarily better, just different.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you are purchasing speakers for a sound signature you like, and who does not, then this question of what's best is better phrased as what's best for you. What's best for me, that's to say what has impressed me the most, are the JBL 4367's. Since I cannot afford them I have retained my circa 1986 JBL L100t3's. Overall, I am satisfied with these speakers at any listening level from 45 to 85db.
49727485498_1e01c8e803_c.jpg

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Back in the day, I owned these:

1617475197003.png

Speakerlab Super 7s

They were speaker kits from a company in Seattle, WA

Sometimes I wish I still had them, but not too often. :)

H

head_unit

Audioholic Intern
I gotta say this is an odd survey, excluding for example the venerable KEF and the ever-consistent Dynaudio, among oh about another several dozen very good makers. Then we can get into Magico, Wilson, Turbosound...just kidding! (Not really: 126 dB peaks and pretty clear, Iron Maiden's World Slavery Tour in Chicago, about 50m back. Let's add Meyer Sound to that list as well).

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@gene is Focal going to get added to the list? Those Kanta 2's look gorgeous in your latest vid.

Last edited:
M

muziekfreak

Audiophyte
Magnepan hands down take the
No cabinet coloration, line source drivers, way more accurate sounding than any cone/dome speaker. They produce to my ears by a large margin the best sound field out there .

They do require pair of subs to make up for the lack of low end dynamics. And they do require some good high current gear. To really shine at what they do.

But for new price 650 you can get a LRS, I'll take a g speaker mentioned here it won't even be close to sounding to what am maggie can do.

I use a rebuild Tympani 1 so a big planar, I will never go back to box speakers ever again . Although I got plenty of those too.

Magnepan should be on that poll

edgewound

edgewound

Audioholic Intern
Cost-no-object, TAD Reference One

Greatest performance value, ELAC Navis.

Both lines developed by Andrew Jones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis