Where's are all the Stereo Pre-Amp's relative to all these Power Amps?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
The WXA-50 has an amp built in. 55 per channel into 8ohms.... 105 per channel into 4ohms. Seems to have the same feature set in each.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Yea, saw the amp on the WXA, made me wonder why the WMA cost so much more.

Very best,

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Typo I suspect.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
In that case the list price difference is $150, street price will likely be less. Sounds reasonable for 2X55 W amp. For those who don't need ext. amp it is still a better deal than the WXC-50.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I own an NR1200. It does not have room correction. And its sub control is half-assed. You can set the sub low-pass, but the speakers and pre-outs play full range no matter what.

Just a warning on those points. On the other hand, it does have a really nice DAC and I have no regrets owning it. I got mine open-box for around $500.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I own an NR1200. It does not have room correction. And its sub control is half-assed. You can set the sub low-pass, but the speakers and pre-outs play full range no matter what.

Just a warning on those points. On the other hand, it does have a really nice DAC and I have no regrets owning it. I got mine open-box for around $500.
Wow, that sounds absolutely abysmal for a $650 unit for what that is doing, or not doing.

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Ok, found a good comparison and its clear, the Yamaha WXA-50 vs WXC-50 difference is that the "A" is the amplifier version and the "C" is the pre-amp version. So the "C" is more what I'm looking for. $350 new. No room correction, and not sure how the sub-out operates or if it has any sort of filtering (high/low pass) or how the volume pot effects all the outputs, so will look into that. If someone owns one, would love to know your thoughts.

And so far, I've yet to see something for less than $350 that does what the Yammy WXC-50 is doing. All those DAC options with volume knobs are in the same price range too it seems; and most of them lack a sub-out option.

Then again, Emotiva is going to drop their replacement to the TP-100 soon, so that will be very interesting in this same price category and functionality. I'd probably get the TP-100 if it were not discontinued, but their website says they're about to replace it with a new one.

Very best,

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, found a good comparison and its clear, the Yamaha WXA-50 vs WXC-50 difference is that the "A" is the amplifier version and the "C" is the pre-amp version. So the "C" is more what I'm looking for. $350 new. No room correction, and not sure how the sub-out operates or if it has any sort of filtering (high/low pass) or how the volume pot effects all the outputs, so will look into that. If someone owns one, would love to know your thoughts.

And so far, I've yet to see something for less than $350 that does what the Yammy WXC-50 is doing. All those DAC options with volume knobs are in the same price range too it seems; and most of them lack a sub-out option.

Then again, Emotiva is going to drop their replacement to the TP-100 soon, so that will be very interesting in this same price category and functionality. I'd probably get the TP-100 if it were not discontinued, but their website says they're about to replace it with a new one.

Very best,
The WXC-50 would be my favorite too, at least for digital inputs. For analog, I don't like the signal being digitized first though that likely have no audible effects.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Almost no one I know has a dedicated 2.0 or 2.x stereo system for music listening anymore, besides a few of you virtual guys on this forum. Everyone I know has switched to HT systems which they occasionally play music on with only the L/R speakers and subs. I'm the only dinosaur left in my circle.
I'm one of those 2-ch dinosaurs, and actually know quite a few 2-ch devotees. In my case and the people I know it's not so much romantic nostalgia, but practicality: living in townhouses, condos, or houses without separate HT rooms or basements. Many of them are urban dwellers (e.g. NYC) in condos or apts. It's simply a hassle to deal with all the wiring for surrounds when you're limited to a multi-purpose living room, so 2-ch is simpler. Believe me, if I had a basement or separate room, I would have a dedicated HT with multi-channels. Also, the 2-ch gear I have all still works fine, purchased 15-20 yrs ago, so there's no need to replace anything.

I do see Parasound pre-amps on ebay occasionally.

I have a ~25-yr-old P/LD 2000 that still works fine (like this one, pictured), but they're pretty rare. Old Parasound gear just lasts forever.

1327719-df2566cc-parasound-pld-2000.jpg

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you are running a sub and need bass management for 2.1, using an AVR makes sense to me.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are running a sub and need bass management for 2.1, using an AVR makes sense to me.
Agreed, but I wish D+M and Y get their acts together and include at least some basic management features even if just speaker small/large and crossover settings, but PEQs would be nice too. Yamaha did include YPAO, but apparent no manual bass management, sort of all or none only.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed, but I wish D+M and Y get their acts together and include at least some basic management features even if just speaker small/large and crossover settings, but PEQs would be nice too. Yamaha did include YPAO, but apparent no manual bass management, sort of all or none only.
If the price point is higher maybe they could include it. I am avoiding anything without HDMI anyhow. :)

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I wouldn't mind if there were good, affordable, two channel pre-amps with no bass management and no sub-out option stuff. Just basic. I would be quite happy with just two good towers on monoblocks. But, as it is, it's hard to get that. Instead, there's lots of options with sub-out but no management at all. There's lots of options with only half the bells & whistles. And you'd think there would be AVR options in this range to soak up the budget stuff, but there isn't. The stereo AVR's cost more than the most basic surround sound based AVR's which is weird. It's like they know the two channel crowd are going to pay more to have less.

Very best,

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't mind if there were good, affordable, two channel pre-amps with no bass management and no sub-out option stuff. Just basic. I would be quite happy with just two good towers on monoblocks. But, as it is, it's hard to get that. Instead, there's lots of options with sub-out but no management at all. There's lots of options with only half the bells & whistles. And you'd think there would be AVR options in this range to soak up the budget stuff, but there isn't. The stereo AVR's cost more than the most basic surround sound based AVR's which is weird. It's like they know the two channel crowd are going to pay more to have less.

Very best,
It's a question of AVRs being manufactured and sold in great quantities as opposed to integrated amps and preamp-processors. AVRs cost a lot less to build because of economy of scale.

The Rotel preamp which I had suggested to you in Post #4 is a good example of a well built and reliable product. It's still available, but should you be interested, I still recommend that you verify with Rotel about the maximum undistorted output voltage before committing. It should have a minimum clean output of 2 volts to enable it to match various power amps now and in the future.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Very best,
Someone around here recently picked up a simple passive Nobsound pre-amp, if you don't need much in the way of inputs/features....

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Someone around here recently picked up a simple passive Nobsound pre-amp, if you don't need much in the way of inputs/features....
I saw these, like $50, lots of generic chinese pre-amps and amps, dacs, etc, under various names. I'm sure they work. Just dubious about the quality. I'd be willing to try it. Just not a fan of seeing something like "Nobsound" lol on the front.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I saw these, like $50, lots of generic chinese pre-amps and amps, dacs, etc, under various names. I'm sure they work. Just dubious about the quality. I'd be willing to try it. Just not a fan of seeing something like "Nobsound" lol on the front.

Very best,
Yeah someone posted a Shinola tt earlier, I have the same sort of issue with "Nobsound" but they do seem to have some legit products. Schiity type names don't work for everyone, tho :) What do you need the pre-amp to do particularly?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis