Where do you find new music?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Word of mouth, I have lots of friends into music.

Nightclubs

Internet .. beatport, dubstep.fm

XM or Sirius (Porsches have XM, Mercedes has Sirius, truck has Sirius)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I use the reviews in The Gramophone and Opera News. Sometimes because I hear a good disc on MPR. I purchase all my discs on line, mostly now from Archiv Music and some from the UK. I have not been in a record store in years, I have no clue when the last time was.

I have done some loss less downloads from Chandos, but it is cheaper to buy the CD from Archiv music!

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
Myspace--that's awesome; me too! Ever notice how some bands don't even have web pages anymore, just Myspace pages?

S

Schupo

Banned
last.fm and pandora, as well as various blogs and podcasts.

alexsabree

alexsabree

Junior Audioholic
I used to use Pandora. That is, until I discovered Last.fm

Last.fm is like Pandora except it has a community based around it (sorta like myspace) and it builds more of a profile based on the music you listen to.

Its basically an improved version of Pandora. :D

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Up until a few years ago, the best music on the radio I'd ever heard was on Detroit's public radio station, WDET. Since about 1986, about 95% of the albums in my collection I heard first on WDET. They had an incredible array of talent choosing music and spinning disks. It was good music suited for an adult audience.

Then, one day at the end of 2005, they suddenly stopped playing their daily music and replaced it with locally produced and syndicated BBC and NPR news/talk shows. No forewarning. Nothing. Just disappointment.

Some of their former DJs have gone on to other nearby stations, but all outside of the range of my receiver. I've heard WDET has an HD FM station, but I don't have an HD FM tuner.

It's hard to find good new music as commercial radio just plays drivel and tripe (IMHO). I try to find sites that offer good downloads, so I'm sort of adrift right now.

One place I do go is to the B&W Society of Sound page. Definitely a few good picks there.

A

audiohonic65

Audioholic
I agree Pandora is a BIG HIT! Gives you whole lot of choices.

E

eotm04

Audiophyte
I usually browse forum sites like this one to find new artists. It's crazy how many bands you hear about that you have never heard of...

N

NakaMitch

Audioholic Intern
Recently I have been getting introduced to new music by the Pandora project. www.pandora.com This is a service you tell what kind of music you like and it tries to play stuff it thinks you might like. It has turned me on to half a dozen new artists. I recommend it. All you music lovers should give it a try.:cool:

ty for the link. great:eek:

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
I have a kid that works at the local media store (Hastings). He knows my taste in music and has not steered me wrong yet! Yeah I slip him a few bucks for the service. He is a good kid working his way through school and thinks its cool an old guy like me is into rock.

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
That's awesome! Seems like the music store folks who can make the informed recommendations are a dying breed. There used to be someone here in Portland a few years ago at the local Tower who always knew what I'd like; now that Tower's long gone I've had a rougher time finding the good stuff on my own.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Mellow Mood

Lately I've been in a more mellow mood and have been listening to Folk Alley.com on internet radio. I just realized that the last few CDs I've gotten have been a direct result of that....Richard Shindell, Greg Brown..etc.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Believe it or not - CBC 2. The last 3 - 4 CD's, maybe more, that I've bought recently, were purchased because I heard them on that station.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I forget if I've posted in this topic.
If you have a last.fm account, it can recommend music similar to artists you listen to.

Other ways:
make a lot of blind purchases from labels I like
recommendations from friends
download random albums

Francisco

Francisco

Audiophyte
Searching for music videos in internet, sometimes tv and friends.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Recently I have been getting introduced to new music by the Pandora project. www.pandora.com This is a service you tell what kind of music you like and it tries to play stuff it thinks you might like. It has turned me on to half a dozen new artists. I recommend it. All you music lovers should give it a try.:cool:
Yup, that's how I do it. Have found many fine artists this way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis