Where do you find new music?

V

VeraVillanueva

Audiophyte
Youtube is my best friend now for this purpose. But sometimes subscriptions are also helpful.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I went over to Amazon HD for awhile but every once in awhile, I see where Pandora takes me and lately they have been knocking it out of the park with 'new-to-me' material, and a lot of it. Amazon seems to glitch up a bit and start recycling the same bucket of songs like a set list.

Pandora has been just keeping me looking at the credits to see who it is so I can see what else they have. Been on since around 11 AM (is now almost 9 PM) and I don't believe I have heard the same song twice. All of this based on a station created by a single group. They have also managed to stay within the relative category.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Have you heard about the guy who went to a pawn shop because he wanted to buy an old radio.

The clerk asked him "Why do you want an old radio?"

Client: "I wish to listen to old music!"

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
My kids keep me up to date on the latest and greatest. Helps me keep one ear out of the tar pits. Get email updates from Qobuz and suggestions from Spotify and Amazon. Most of my new music is reissues of classic stuff with previously unreleased material including live shows.

R

Raiden007

Audiophyte
Spotify. But I mostly listen to my old playlist, so not much for new songs.

Z

Zefek

Audiophyte
Forums threads such as the ones here, what are you listening too now?
Follow Playlists. (Tidal, Spotify etc.) Websites that have playlists.
For Techno TraxSource and JunoDownload
Use Python to scrape playlists from websites and upload to Tidal using something like tunemymusic.com (also good to follow a Spotify playlist and sync it to Tidal)
Rediscovering everything you used to have on 8_tack, cassette or vinyl can be as fun as finding new music.
Online streaming puts almost everything at your fingertips...

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
Simple enough - how do you find out about new music? Is it a website? A magazine? TV? XM? FM? Do you actually go into a record store (remember those?) and flip through the discs?
Streaming services have millions of tracks and some times I will randomly look around and sample, and they will bring up artists similar to what you're listening to also. Two, YT is same, I have a long list of saved music vids I like, YT recommends others when I'm listening to a vid. Those two are my main routes of listening to new stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A few years ago I mostly used Pandora, and got some pretty good stuff that way (maxing out my "stations" with my preferences). These days I mostly use Spotify, their suggestions have been pretty good now that I've got a good buildup of "liked" content. I didn't use youtube music much in the past due the commercials but now that I'm a premium subscriber and that doesn't happen any more, am find their suggestions pretty good as well now that I've built up the "liked" stuff....plus in many cases the video can be pretty good.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I went over to Amazon HD for awhile but every once in awhile, I see where Pandora takes me and lately they have been knocking it out of the park with 'new-to-me' material, and a lot of it. Amazon seems to glitch up a bit and start recycling the same bucket of songs like a set list.
Since I have Amazon Prime anyway I tried looking for new stuff on Amazon Music and found it really unhelpful. I don't know what I was doing wrong or if Amazon Music is just bad. In another thread I saw that @Bobby Bass got some Emerson, Lake and Palmer stuff. I know nothing about them so but since Bobby seems to like a lot of the stuff I like I thought it was worth looking into so I tried playing Amazon Music through BluOS on my main stereo. That worked fine except that when I chose in Amazon Music to listen to ELP it just mixed in some YES and some Moody Blues and who knows what else. Maybe I don't have a clue how to play a specific band on Amazon Music. But that was a very unhelpful effort.

I could try Youtube. In the past I listened to stuff there. But I've decided that I want to listen though my stereo instead of my computer speakers. So I just ordered a 25 foot 3.5mm to RCA wire so that I can directly plug my computer into my preamp Line-In. I am looking forward seeing if that works for playing music from Firefox to the NAD that way. The NAD will play wirelessly though BluOS, Airplay and Bluetooth. But I thought a wired solution might be easiest.

At this stage I'm not interested in paid subscriptions.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Since I have Amazon Prime anyway I tried looking for new stuff on Amazon Music and found it really unhelpful. I don't know what I was doing wrong or if Amazon Music is just bad. In another thread I saw that @Bobby Bass got some Emerson, Lake and Palmer stuff. I know nothing about them so but since Bobby seems to like a lot of the stuff I like I thought it was worth looking into so I tried playing Amazon Music through BluOS on my main stereo. That worked fine except that when I chose in Amazon Music to listen to ELP it just mixed in some YES and some Moody Blues and who knows what else. Maybe I don't have a clue how to play a specific band on Amazon Music. But that was a very unhelpful effort.

I could try Youtube. In the past I listened to stuff there. But I've decided that I want to listen though my stereo instead of my computer speakers. So I just ordered a 25 foot 3.5'' to RCA wire so that I can directly plug my computer into my preamp Line-In. I am looking forward seeing if that works for playing music from Firefox to the NAD that way. The NAD will play wirelessly though BluOS, Airplay and Bluetooth. But I thought a wired solution might be easiest.

At this stage I'm not interested in paid subscriptions.
If you don't have amazon music (an extra 10.99/mo) subscription, it will only shuffle songs randomly, IIRC. If you have Amazon music, you can play whole albums etc.

I have tried Qobuz and Spotify as well and I don't care for those either and actually prefer amazon to those. They instead busy me with too many choices and trending bs that is so far off of my radar that it ends up taking up a whole lot of space otherwise. Then you have to empty the que to get it to do other certain discovery options and it's just a busy and overly redundant app for my uses. Sure it's my fault, whatever, but these programs were more seemingly designed for cell phone/tech addicts that can type faster with their thumbs than I/they can speak. Doesn't help that I don't see so well and just don't want to be bothered with reading/selecting thru all the chaff they bloat these progs with.

ETA: TY for reminding me to cancel roon, spotify and qobuz before I got billed again. :)

Last edited:
crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
If you don't have amazon music (an extra 10.99/mo) subscription, it will only shuffle songs randomly, IIRC. If you have Amazon music, you can play whole albums etc.

I have tried Qobuz and Spotify as well and I don't care for those either and actually prefer amazon to those. They instead busy me with too many choices and trending bs that is so far off of my radar that it ends up taking up a whole lot of space otherwise. Then you have to empty the que to get it to do other certain discovery options and it's just a busy and overly redundant app for my uses. Sure it's my fault, whatever, but these programs were more seemingly designed for cell phone/tech addicts that can type faster with their thumbs than I/they can speak. Doesn't help that I don't see so well and just don't want to be bothered with reading/selecting thru all the chaff they bloat these progs with.

ETA: TY for reminding me to cancel roon, spotify and qobuz before I got billed again. :)
Yup. Totally agree. While I can't help the TV streaming my wife subscribes to I am against paying for music streaming for me. (Not talking about anyone else). My goal is to sample "new-to-me" bands that I find that I like and then buy the CDs or equivalent downdoad.

I like bands from my era. I'm talking from the 60's-80's mainly. There are tons that I've heard about but know nothing about. I want to sample them. I know nothing about Jethro Tull, Allman Brothers, Queen, Cream, Hendrix, Dave Matthews, ELP, Hall and Oats, etc... People here could list 50-100 more. Youtube is where I can sample and know whether to buy some or not.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yup. Totally agree. While I can't help the TV streaming my wife subscribes to I am against paying for music streaming for me. (Not talking about anyone else). My goal is to sample "new-to-me" bands that I find that I like and then buy the CDs or equivalent downdoad.

I like bands from my era. I'm talking from the 60's-80's mainly. There are tons that I've heard about but know nothing about. I want to sample them. I know nothing about Jethro Tull, Allman Brothers, Queen, Cream, Hendrix, Dave Matthews, ELP, Hall and Oats, etc... People here could list 50-100 more. Youtube is where I can sample and know whether to buy some or not.
I pay for Pandora. It's found more music than I can process. I have it set to "discovery" and I start a station based on an artist I am a fan of. From there I catch something I like and this sets off a surf session in youtube.

In youtube, I'll type in an artist say. . . Tom Petty, like this: "Tom Petty topic" but without the " marks of course. This will take me to just about every video and album they have on youtube, or the net, for that matter. In youtube, I have indeed entered in "Emerson Lake and Palmer topic " before. I find their youtube page at or near the top of the search results. When I choose that, I end up here.

It's not uncommon for me to have 20 youtube tabs at the top of my browser by the end of a session. How many of those I get to after that is questionable. If I want to hear something in better quality than what is offered online, I will buy the CD.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Thats a heck of a list. I've seen some of those bands live back in the day and think you will really like them. If you don't want to stream, get some inexpensive greatest hits CDs used from Amazon or wherever. :)

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic

I replied in another thread about my use of Qobuz. If you don’t want to pay for streaming it’s tougher in my experience. I used Spotify but dropped the paid platform when I moved to Qobuz. I don’t use it anymore because the free ad-based version is terrible. I’ve tried all the services and found Qobuz was the best combination of content including Hi-Res content, ease of use and price. I pay annually and save a few bucks. Comes out to about the price of a new CD a month which is worth it for me. I was against paying too at first but I’m hooked. Can take my music anywhere, any room of the house, car, boat, plane etc. When traveling. you Named many of my favorite bands. Hope you get a chance to check them out.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
However, should you desire listening to old music for a change, then you look for an old radio. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis