Where do you find new music?

H

Hobbit

Full Audioholic
I'm a big internet radio fan because you can find stations that play a lot of off the beaten trail music, or play deeper tracks that you don't normally hear..

Personally I found Pandora to be weak. Spotify is a little better, but still very mainstream. JazzRadio is pretty good for Jazz.

For more rock/fusion/prog I like Fusion101 and Delicious Agony. Both these stations play a lot, I mean a LOT, of music I never heard of. Fusion101 tends to lean towards fusion/instrumental rock and Delicious Agony is more prog, with only an occasional mainstream prog song thrown in. Both stations may, for instance, throw in FZ's Penguins in Bondage for example. Audiophile Jazz Rock is pretty good too.

For blues, I like Audiophile Rock Blues, they were playing some great Tommy Casto live stuff last night. Also JazzRadio does some good blues.

For classical, which I like Baroque, I usually just stick with Pandora or Spotify.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I use SiriusXM for that, also some ROKU apps that do music, and we have a good local Community Owned FM radio station that does a great job of playing non-top 40 stuff. CBC radio also has a few programs that are good, but they are few in number, Friday and Saturday nights are about it.

Plus the local libraries (main and 10 branches) have CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays to loan out (2 weeks CDs, 1 week everything else) so you can just grab a dozen and have a listen. Main has tens of thousands of titles, maybe even hundreds; the selection is way bigger than any music store (one half floor of a city-block wide building),a branch will have a couple thousand. LPs too, if you have a vinyl rig, main branch only.

Finding new music isn't a problem I've ever had; finding time to listen to it all has always been my problem.

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Full Audioholic
Simple enough - how do you find out about new music? Is it a website? A magazine? TV? XM? FM? Do you actually go into a record store (remember those?) and flip through the discs?
Spotify - "Fresh finds playlist" --- Found some gems on there but for the most part I skip though most of it.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Another route I find useful is movies (and back to the Library from my previous post, yes, they have a massive DVD and Blu-Ray collection to borrow as well),where you can hit the pause button when the credits roll and get the low-down on tracks you've heard in the film, or in a recent example, an entire album made exclusively for the movie.

That most recent example ... I watched the movie Thief* a week or two ago, and noted the entire soundtrack was by Tangerine Dream. I know of the German band, whose music I found underwhelming as album artists. Lo and Behold, they have dozens of tracks used in movies and a few full scores. Apparently movie directors saw something in the band I didn't back in the day. The Thief Soundtrack is a bit of a egg hunt to track down (the movie was released in 1981) but I'm on it now.

Who Knew? Which I think is the point of this thread.

* https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083190/

Sorry for the typos (missing spaces at ... well),where ... ) but try as I might, I can't seem to get edits to stick.

Last edited:
Koricks

Koricks

Audiophyte
Youtube. At the first i find music videos that i like and than youtube recommend me similar music videos to my favourite.

killbill13

killbill13

Audioholic
How i can find new music? I dont know what to listen. İ have apple music and spotify

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis