Where do you find new music?

baniels

baniels

Audioholic
Listed source material used in hifi equipment and speaker reviews has opened me up to a lot of stuff I would otherwise never have heard.

T

Texun1

Junior Audioholic
I buy vinyl & cd's from Half Price Books. I take my old portable cd player and earbuds & sit my butt down on the floor and start listening. Usually a few quick tracks is all it takes to see it it is a keeper.

To me it is a good way to spend an hour or so on a Saturday morning and walk out with 30 or so cd's for 30 bucks plus the tax. Currently I am up to about 3000 cd's ripped to my media server.

I also have about half ripped to my Ipod so I can take them with me in our motorhome for long trips away from the home system.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
I have found a lot of new music from listening to XM in my car. I didnt get XM with the intentions of finding a lot of new music but it has been an added bonus.
I carry a notepad and pen in my car and when I hear a song I like, I write it down, then research more of their songs when I get home.

I also use last.fm which gets music from your player and then suggests new stuff to you. It works with foobar, as well as others. (plug-in)

bradsmith

bradsmith

Enthusiast
Right now I use Rdio to find new music. Their new music Tuesday blog post is pretty awesome, plus my network of friends help me discover new music as well.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Going out. I've found a lot of great new bands just going to concerts, clubs, and festivals. Surprised I don't think this was mentioned as a method yet, lol. What the **** guys, get out there!!!

Friends. Lots of friends with similar music tastes, so we are always recommending.

8Tracks.com

Spotify (specifically searching for playlists created by others with interesting tastes)

Forums

Tracklists from radioshows and DJ mixes

Labels which have me on their mailing list for new releases.

M

missionp

Audiophyte
Last.fm is the best place to find out new music. I am over there from last 2 years. One can find many music lovers of same taste over there.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
my foobar wont report a lot of the songs to last.fm for me via audioscrobbler

I

ItsaPandemic

Audiophyte
I have a notebook by my side waiting to right down new and good songs I hear.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Music Unlimited (PS3 & PC). been using it for a few months now. Kinda interesting... as well as foobar/last.fm (got it working again), and Sirius satellite radio

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I am a Spotify subscriber and use it all the time at home and in the car. I have a random playlist with a wide variety of music and I use the related artists function to find new stuff. It works quite well. I will just add a bunch of stuff and remove the stuff I don't like as I listen to it.

The audio quality is excellent and the Spotify application integrates all of my ripped CD's so anything I have in lossless plays from my local copy.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
XM does a pretty good job. Especially Little Steven's Underground Garage. The "greatest song in the world this week" has clued me into new releases and bands I would never have found otherwise.

T

TP143

Audioholic Intern
Slacker radio does a better job diversifying their playlists than pandora and some of the others. I listen to slacker ofter at work and find new bands all the time because of this service.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I listen to as much new stuff as I can, I listen to other people talk and go to concerts as much as I can.. Plus a couple weekends a year in nashville help...

But honestly lately I havent been wowed by anything new, I am a fan of the unknown artist" that writes there own music and performs at the same 10 venues on one side of the country.... ive seen some great shows and met some great performers before the "masses" deemed them worthy of mainstrem success {in other word before the today sho performances and Ellen apearences}, and that makes music fun for me...

I love Amber Rubarth, Novacaine was written in my home town and happens to be one of my favorite songs of all time, just simple, written overnight for a local venue coordinator that gives his performers little challenges here and there... She has an ok voice that seems like it has done a little living yet keeps her girlish innocence... And something about a squeky guitar voice combo strike a chord with me {excuse the corny pun}

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I find it's relatively easy to find new rock (and its subcategories), but as someone who really enjoys jazz, I find it's much harder to find new music. Most internet and aired radio stations out there play classic jazz (e.g. like classic rock).

Here's where I love internet radio and my Grace Digital wifi tuner. I've found the European radio stations you can get over the internet and internet radio like Aupeo play lots of new music. Many of the radio stations even stream the song and the artist. When I hear something I really like I go look to see who it is. After I look and find that I'm liking the same artist several times I start youtube'ing them and then go grab a disk.

Of course, the down fall is sometimes they're European artists and hard to get their disk's here.

As a side note, the other night I was watching the rock and roll hall of fame concert on HBO. Lo and behold, Quincy Jones made a comment about how the rest of the world knows our music, Jazz and Blues, better than we do.

Brokenhill

Brokenhill

Audiophyte
Mostly from charts generated on RateYourMusic (Rateyourmusic.com) but also personal lists that are on there...it's a good site for eclecticism. It's purely user-based and many of the users have a wide range of tastes, and the rating system is fairly complex to avoid biased charts.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I carry a notepad and pen in my car and when I hear a song I like, I write it down, then research more of their songs when I get home.
Similar idea here as well, but with 21st century update - I use shazam to recognize and tag songs I liked and look them up later

M

Maudio

Enthusiast

I also use last.fm which gets music from your player and then suggests new stuff to you. It works with foobar, as well as others. (plug-in)
I do that too and I use Spotify too.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Tidal is looking like a pretty good resource. Not sure I'm totally on-board for $20 a month, but I'm giving it a chance.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I just subscribed to Tidal about a month ago and today I noticed something called "your radio". They customize a playlist based on your listening history. It kicked ass. Nice broad mix of genres with some artists I knew and some I never heard before like Richard Galliano who plays European folk music on his accordion, reminded me of Tango.

L

LA.NY

Audiophyte
Great question.

Spotify - but I also follow taste makers, such as vinylmnky.com, we found new music, and others.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis