Where do you find new music?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I'm a big internet radio fan because you can find stations that play a lot of off the beaten trail music, or play deeper tracks that you don't normally hear..

Personally I found Pandora to be weak. Spotify is a little better, but still very mainstream. JazzRadio is pretty good for Jazz.

For more rock/fusion/prog I like Fusion101 and Delicious Agony. Both these stations play a lot, I mean a LOT, of music I never heard of. Fusion101 tends to lean towards fusion/instrumental rock and Delicious Agony is more prog, with only an occasional mainstream prog song thrown in. Both stations may, for instance, throw in FZ's Penguins in Bondage for example. Audiophile Jazz Rock is pretty good too.

For blues, I like Audiophile Rock Blues, they were playing some great Tommy Casto live stuff last night. Also JazzRadio does some good blues.

For classical, which I like Baroque, I usually just stick with Pandora or Spotify.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I use SiriusXM for that, also some ROKU apps that do music, and we have a good local Community Owned FM radio station that does a great job of playing non-top 40 stuff. CBC radio also has a few programs that are good, but they are few in number, Friday and Saturday nights are about it.

Plus the local libraries (main and 10 branches) have CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays to loan out (2 weeks CDs, 1 week everything else) so you can just grab a dozen and have a listen. Main has tens of thousands of titles, maybe even hundreds; the selection is way bigger than any music store (one half floor of a city-block wide building),a branch will have a couple thousand. LPs too, if you have a vinyl rig, main branch only.

Finding new music isn't a problem I've ever had; finding time to listen to it all has always been my problem.

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Simple enough - how do you find out about new music? Is it a website? A magazine? TV? XM? FM? Do you actually go into a record store (remember those?) and flip through the discs?
Spotify - "Fresh finds playlist" --- Found some gems on there but for the most part I skip though most of it.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Another route I find useful is movies (and back to the Library from my previous post, yes, they have a massive DVD and Blu-Ray collection to borrow as well), where you can hit the pause button when the credits roll and get the low-down on tracks you've heard in the film, or in a recent example, an entire album made exclusively for the movie.

That most recent example ... I watched the movie Thief* a week or two ago, and noted the entire soundtrack was by Tangerine Dream. I know of the German band, whose music I found underwhelming as album artists. Lo and Behold, they have dozens of tracks used in movies and a few full scores. Apparently movie directors saw something in the band I didn't back in the day. The Thief Soundtrack is a bit of a egg hunt to track down (the movie was released in 1981) but I'm on it now.

Who Knew? Which I think is the point of this thread.

* https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083190/

Sorry for the typos (missing spaces at ... well),where ... ) but try as I might, I can't seem to get edits to stick.

Last edited:
Koricks

Koricks

Audiophyte
Youtube. At the first i find music videos that i like and than youtube recommend me similar music videos to my favourite.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
How i can find new music? I dont know what to listen. İ have apple music and spotify

orlandofdiazr

orlandofdiazr

Audiophyte
Simple enough - how do you find out about new music? Is it a website? A magazine? TV? XM? FM? Do you actually go into a record store (remember those?) and flip through the discs?
Apple music------> Explore------> our collaborate

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I find most of new bands I like on NME radio
They stream for free:

I doubt many of you like this sort of music, but there it is so make your own opinions.

I complete NME with snooping around several music magazines' top lists; pitchfork, rollingstone, guardian, vulture, billboard... I take advise from people here. I'll never forget Vanska recommendation from @TLS Guy and some other classical (TLS recommended IMO the best Beethoven's renditions).

I take a lot of reccomendations on all music from editors' choices. I often ask my friends for specific recommendations, ie. tell me your favorite female vocal or acoustic guitarists and so on and then I go exploring those.

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
Sirius XM baby. been listening to it before the 2007 merger..

zeuiax

zeuiax

Audioholic
HiRes streaming Radio sites likes of Radio Paradise, JB2 Radio

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Being into classical music for about 99% of my listening, I find visiting prestomusic.com (located in the UK) once a week to be very informative. They review new releases each week and have listening samples for the discs/downloads they sell. They currently have 77,318 different classical CD's for sale, and their search engine has many filters to narrow any searches you do on their site. A really good resource; their service is outstanding, though a little slow because of the pandemic. The shipping department does a great job. I've yet to receive a disc with a damaged jewel case.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I find a lot of my new music or interest on Qobuz or Tidal and also in the car scanning Sirius XM for Blues, Jazz and Classic Rock stations.

A

Abcin

Audiophyte
I find a lot of my new music or interest on Qobuz or Tidal and also in the car scanning Sirius XM for Blues, Jazz and Classic Rock stations.
We can find a lot of popular and nice music in Qobuz and Tidal.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Groove Salad, baby!!!

Damn, I was all over that station day and night, in my bachelor days. Now that I'm domesticated I almost never have any background music on. :oops:
lol, Well now at this stage in my life I find myself streaming 90% of the time.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I depend on YouTube, on both their recommendations and a couple of their many "vocal coach reacts" channels. For example their 'Recommendations' is where I first learned about VoicePlay and their awesome bass singer's (Geoff Castellucci) solo work. It's also where I first heard Pentatonix, Postmodern Jukebox and their rotating roster of steller artists such as Morgan James and Haley Reinhart. And let's not forget the Harp Twins, and Sershen and Zaritskaya, Lucy Thomas and her amazing duet with her little sister Martha, and Joss Stone, and dozens of others.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis