What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I keep three backups of my music, videos, photos, etc on USB drives attached to the docker. I run my backup program almost every day. It's not really a backup. It checks selected folders on my notebook drive and syncs the backups as exact copies.

A week ago about 50GB of music and photos just disappeared from one of those drives. I have no idea where it went and I didn't get the drive space back. So I can't trust that drive anymore. I got a new 3rd drive which arrived today.

I will probably set it running in the morning. It takes all day even over USB3.1 to copy all that data to a backup drive the first time.
Wow that’s not good. I back up to the cloud now even though it’s a monthly fee. I Don’t want to lose anything, especially family pictures.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Wow that’s not good. I back up to the cloud now even though it’s a monthly fee. I Don’t want to lose anything, especially family pictures.
I suppose I'm averse to "Cloud" because it's a stupid name. "Cloud"
Seriously I have considered paying to expand my Dropbox to over 1T.

One way or another everyone should have a backup system. Cloud or local.

I figure I'm safe with 3 local backup drives.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Today, our local Hampton Inn sold me 2 brand new feather down pillows. A year ago, I bought one pillow and she said I could have 2, this year. $20.00/ea plus $20.00 tip. lol

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I just pre-ordered a new Box Set of Grateful Dead. April 1978. 19 CDs

Curtis Hixon Convention Hall, Tampa, FL 4/6/78
Sportatorium, Pembroke Pines, FL 4/7/78
Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Jacksonville, FL 4/8/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/10/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/11/78
Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, NC 4/12/78
Cassell Coliseum, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA 4/14/78
Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Received the set of 4 isolation feet that I bought for my older Luxman PD-121U turntable. Before dinner I removed the TT from my rack (wiring is always the worst part), removed the platter and tonearm and swapped them.

Disappointed that the company didn't make their supplied screws fixed to the feet like the originals (so they rotate together) because I lose the leveling feature. Fortunately my rack that I designed and built has it's own six point leveling spike system.

That said, they do the job. Walking near it before it would skip, but that seems minimized.

1000007712.jpg

1000007711.jpg

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief

I saw that set. Looks great. A good price too with 19 CDs for under $200 US. Dave’s Picks #51 should be arriving soon. I looked at the upcoming Neil Young box set which has CDs and Blu-Ray movies etc but it’s $478 so I’ll pass. I have so much of his music already including his last box set.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I saw that set. Looks great. A good price too with 19 CDs for under $200 US. Dave’s Picks #51 should be arriving soon. I looked at the upcoming Neil Young box set which has CDs and Blu-Ray movies etc but it’s $478 so I’ll pass. I have so much of his music already including his last box set.
I should look into Neil Young to see what's available. Is there something you'd especially suggest?

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Dave’s Picks #51 should be arriving soon.
My DP 51 arrived yesterday. It has some 10/24/70 filler. The guys at Reddit reminded me that DP48 has a whole disc of 10/24/70. Combined they make a nice little hour and 40 minute set.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I should look into Neil Young to see what's available. Is there something you'd especially suggest?
Suggest starting with his first album with Crazy Hose. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. Long jams on Down by the river and Cowgirl in the sand. Still my favorite Neil album.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally broke down and bought a new laptop as the one I'm working with here is an old Windows 7 machine.

img_001.JPG

The only regret is that it comes with Windows 11 home which excludes Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. After doing some googling, I ran into this which I'm going to try out

https://www.freeoffice.com/en/features/freeoffice

Anyone using this?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
My friend said Tidal gave the same issue with the A6. Roon is rock solid. Plays about 8 hrs per day and never a drop out. If you have local music and use Qobuz then try Roon for a month free and see what you think.
Thank for the advice. I did setup Roon but having the same problem. Retuned the A8 and went back to my Bluesound Node N130 with no issues. It doesn’t sound as good but it works. Next stop is the Cambridge CXN100.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief

Just received my Dave’s Picks volume 51. Good timing since I’ve been listening to a lot of Garcia on the Dead channel on XM radio. It’s the days between time when they celebrate Garcia‘s birthday and passing every year.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Thank for the advice. I did setup Roon but having the same problem. Retuned the A8 and went back to my Bluesound Node N130 with no issues. It doesn’t sound as good but it works. Next stop is the Cambridge CXN100.
Have you considered trying a standalone DAC with your Bluesound Node? I had got a Gustard DAC X16 a couple years ago and it was noticeably improved smoothness over the DAC in my Bluesound Vault 2. A few months ago I sold it and got a Luxman DA-06 DAC, which is another level up in achieving the "analog sound" that I sought. There's a plethora of opinions as to which DAC at what price level achieves that, though I'm very happy with mine. I might change out my Vault 2 at some point because I get really frustrated with the new BluOS app operability.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Have you considered trying a standalone DAC with your Bluesound Node? I had got a Gustard DAC X16 a couple years ago and it was noticeably improved smoothness over the DAC in my Bluesound Vault 2. A few months ago I sold it and got a Luxman DA-06 DAC, which is another level up in achieving the "analog sound" that I sought. There's a plethora of opinions as to which DAC at what price level achieves that, though I'm very happy with mine. I might change out my Vault 2 at some point because I get really frustrated with the new BluOS app operability.
Thanks for the advice. The Luxman looks great but is beyond my budget. Looking to stay under $2K. Do you connect the Bluesound to the DAC with a digital cable And then connect the DAC to your amp with XLR or RCA cables? I really like using the Node as a streamer especially after having issues with Eversolo. It’s never given me any issues in over 2 years of use.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Suggest starting with his first album with Crazy Hose. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. Long jams on Down by the river and Cowgirl in the sand. Still my favorite Neil album.
I got this. I'll listen to it in the car on the way to Maine tomorrow.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the advice. The Luxman looks great but is beyond my budget. Looking to stay under $2K. Do you connect the Bluesound to the DAC with a digital cable And then connect the DAC to your amp with XLR or RCA cables? I really like using the Node as a streamer especially after having issues with Eversolo. It’s never given me any issues in over 2 years of use.
I had bought a Nordost Silver Shadow digital cable from my dealer for $75 (I was feeling very rich that one day) and use that co-ax 75Ω SPDIF cable to connect the Vault 2 to the Luxman DA-06 dac, then some cool blue Cardas XLR balanced cables that I bought off eBay for $35 (which no one can see) to connect the dac to the Luxman L-509X integrated amp.

BTW, I bought the USA-spec DA-06 off eBay for $1977 shipped. There's a newer DA-250 there right now that's also a headphone amp for $1399, and those have a remote control that my DA-06 doesn't get.

Last edited:
T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Have this coming in by the 8th of next week. Panasonic 4K UB820-K Blu-ray player. Yeah I read the review over on ASR's website. I have no need for the Analog outputs.

Found this:

If you ask me, it’s because the UB 820 has really no issues playing triple layer discs comparatively to other players. For example, the Sony XM 800 will not play triple layer discs all the way through, it will usually stop halfway through and then you have to restart the movie to play the rest of it. I actually had to return mine because of how bad the issue was. I have the UB 820 now and I have no regrets. The menu system is Perfect and simple. You can even change the background which is super nice. There’s also a ton more features to where you can upscale content and also make the experience exactly how you want it to be. But if you’re a purist, it’s got you covered as well.

1722719924054.png

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I won the grand prize giveaway of $1000 store credit at The Music Room. Nice surprise.
THAT is incredibly lucky!! I'm thrilled for you, and of course at least a little bit envious.

What's on your radar for using the credit?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis