What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Took months to find, and ultimately ended up just getting one by chance from someone I know. Got it at retail!! No bots! No surcharge!

First thing I tried was No Man's Sky with the insane graphics and performance on this thing. It performs about 5X better and looks stunning, but this iteration is also a little less stable. Also picked up Devil May Cry 5 PS5, just because.
Lucky you! They are still pretty hard to find. I would never pay above retail, just to spite the hoarders.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dark City didn't get enough attention. That weird ass movie is awesome.
Agreed, and I just happened to see the other day that it shares a LOT with The Matrix.

In fact, some of the Matrix set pieces were re-used from Dark City.

Story lines are also similar. Dark City is much more art-house style, while The Matrix is much more Hollywood Action Flick style. I do think Dark City missed it's fair praise due to the Matrix. The resource I saw says that he kind of considers these as "companion works".

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Just got my 7 channel amp!!!! Now to put it all together.
20210324_155346.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The boost tuner for my car only served to whet my appetite. I put a deposit down today on a full ECU tune, larger heat exchanger, and coolant expansion tank.
OK, this has been modified. The coolant expansion tank has been nixed in favor of less restrictive lower downpipes. My tune appointment is set for May 6th. Expected to put me around 420+ hp and 500-ish ft-lbs to the wheels.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OK, this has been modified. The coolant expansion tank has been nixed in favor of less restrictive lower downpipes. My tune appointment is set for May 6th. Expected to put me around 420+ hp and 500-ish ft-lbs to the wheels.
I installed a Cobb intake on mine the other day. In CA everything is restricted, but this part has a CARB certification making it legal. Despite that, they can't be brought into CA anymore, so I picked one up from a shop that had some left. My car is tuned, but most tuners are cautious about it now since the state is cracking down. I have a full turbo back exhaust already. Also picked up some carbon parts.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm on a journey to replace many of my DVDs that I own with BluRay. I dont need to go up to 4K except maybe Star Wars... I wanted to replace "Hunt For Red October" which I own on DVD and I stumbled across this at Amazon which I grabbed for $22. Cdn.
1616687775718.png

I also had Sum of All Fears and Patriot Games on DVD so I snatched this up. A pretty cheap upgrade. The DVDs I plan on taking to the trailer with me and leaving the better stuff at home.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm on a journey to replace many of my DVDs that I own with BluRay. I dont need to go up to 4K except maybe Star Wars... I wanted to replace "Hunt For Red October" which I own on DVD and I stumbled across this at Amazon which I grabbed for $22. Cdn.
View attachment 45927

I also had Sum of All Fears and Patriot Games on DVD so I snatched this up. A pretty cheap upgrade. The DVDs I plan on taking to the trailer with me and leaving the better stuff at home.
I have been selectively replacing my old discs with 4K. If the formal review is good for them, then I'll upgrade. I am actually pretty blown away by Bladerunner. The 4K remaster looks and sounds amazing for a movie so old.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What does your car typically dyno?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
From Evotech in the UK, "blanking plates" to fill the spaces left from removing the bike's passenger footrests that would never see feet, and spools for the paddock stand added to the rear swingarm. Makes it a joy to lift the bike straight up for lubing the chain, changing oil, and working on in general.
2021_Strett_Triple-R_mods.jpg
Stock_2021_Street_Triple-R.jpg

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Post pic with the grills off please!! and you thoughts also would be nice.
Ok, about 5 hours in on them I will give you my impressions so far. My amp is a Yamaha 1200 and source has been my Marantz HD DAC 1 streaming Amazon HD and my own FLAC files from CD. My most recent reference was my JBL 570s which were a good bit forward and then in the mids. Sometimes depending on song and singer could get the talking into a trash can things horns can sometimes do.

These Polk are imaging masters and are not very fussy. Get your ears around tweeter level with a slight tow in. It does not take long or a lot of effort to get a good center image and they will get outside the speaker boundary. They are not just throwing stuff all around they keep with the recording and everything has it's place. They also have depth and height to the stage.

I did hook them up with my little Emotiva Flex amp for about an hour and the characteristics remained pretty much the same they do scale well with your electronics. They sound much more refined with the Yamaha with detail rivaling the JBLs and in some instances surpassing it.

They are very neutral nothing about them is boosted or forward in your face. They are a bit better with dynamics than I expected, but smoother with it and not as shouty as the JBLs. It would not be fair to call them laid back either because they are not. There is a smoothness, body and texture.

When I initially got started the bass was a little bloomy and too much boom but that smoothed out settled down within about 2 hours and Highs, mids and lows are well integrated. Bass has good responsiveness and is better done with more body than the 570s, but not as light or as agile but not a slouch either. Maybe just a touch of warmth here but nothing distracting. These things seem like they would pair well with a host of electronics and do well with all types of music even not the best recorded.

Mids are rich and textured and full bodies again maybe a touch of warmth/smoothness but this Yamaha has some fairly aggressive mids. This seems to take the edge of the attack on pianos and the like they Yamaha can produce without losing the detail. jacques loussier trio fugue in g minor is like Honey Butter for my ears. Rich, creamy, smooth and a touch of sweetness. Yet you can still nearly hear that drum stick splintering. It is clear now that Lionel Richie and Alan Jackson will be leading the choir in Heaven. Mids are very refined and very well done.

Highs are very detailed and airy but not forward or in your face. They are very smooth as well and plenty of extension and detail. You can listen to them all day and never be annoyed or fatigued by them.

If you made me summarize it in a paragraph. I would say these are fun engaging speakers that you could live with long time. They provide plenty of detail and insight and I can live with them long term. Do not be afraid to spend a little on your electronics because they will reward you for it. They are very refined for the price and not shouty or forward. They will handle any kind of music you throw at them from Cider House Rules Soundtrack, Classical, ACDC, Metallica, Donna Summer, County, and Beastie Boys. They are worth the asking price. In a few months I will think I should have waited for the sale but I will never regret my decision.

If you are a music lover that enjoys a variety of different kinds of music and looking for something fun and engaging while letting get the most out of your music they are definitely worth checking out. No need to let your equipment influence what you listen to with these.

They look darker in person than the first 2 pictures do. Those grey highlights are not as noticeable. Those grills though look very much like the earlier group of pictures.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I installed a Cobb intake on mine the other day. In CA everything is restricted, but this part has a CARB certification making it legal. Despite that, they can't be brought into CA anymore, so I picked one up from a shop that had some left. My car is tuned, but most tuners are cautious about it now since the state is cracking down. I have a full turbo back exhaust already. Also picked up some carbon parts.

Yeah, CA is not a nice place for car tuners or owners who want to mod. What do you drive again?

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Listening again this morning I keep going through the one more song game. Noticing that these actually do a good job of giving you what is on the recording. Just listening to Alan Jackson it gives you the laid back nature of 5 O'clock Somewhere and Living on Love then the does a good job of representing the more forward exciting nature of tracks like Don't Rock The Juke Box. They are never boring or just flat though and lifeless though. Yeah I am very pleased so far with these. Paired with this Yamaha they are effortless and never sound congested or like they are struggling. These are good Polk speakers and I honestly am loving them. I like the JBLs and they are great values but were never really what I was looking for. If you are shopping this Polk Reserve line is worth checking out. I imagine for a whole lot of people if you pair these with decent electronics they will be long term solutions.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
couldn't fit this in the car for the trip home from Florida so Mike @ Suncoast will ship it, cleanliness is next to Godliness when it comes to LP playback …….

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, CA is not a nice place for car tuners or owners who want to mod. What do you drive again?
2011 STI. I have a lot more into the suspension and brakes than the motor. It also only has 35K mi on it because I have a WRX daily lol. My tuner is down in San Diego, but he's not doing any Ca. tunes right now.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
2011 STI. I have a lot more into the suspension and brakes than the motor. It also only has 35K mi on it because I have a WRX daily lol. My tuner is down in San Diego, but he's not doing any Ca. tunes right now.
Ah, nice. I honestly didn't think I'd be doing much to this car when I bought it. I should have known better.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Just so everyone knows I can not stop gushing over the Polk Reserve R200 enough. Here is a pretty good conversation by 2 people who reviewed 2 of the line. Pretty much they nail it. Not that they are the best at any one thing. They just get so much so right.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis