What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks!

It's still the Audiotechnica AT-VM95E. I'm planing to change it, though. The thing is, my TT had some undesirable behavior. I took it to the shop to be completely taken apart and checked (it needed the lube job anyway, all the buttons were hardly moving, it made a loud clunk when bringing the tone arm to the platter when it needed to start rotating the platter etc).

The guy said all the grease dehydrated to the level when it started to look like a chewing gum on a hot road.

Since we were taking it apart anyway, we went in depth and check every little detail, but were unable to detect the problem.

That's why I concluded that maybe it's not a fault, but simply a bad combination of cart/stylus/headshell.

What I'm doing now is trying to make the set up as close to the original as possible. Original headshell was considerably lighter than most in the market today. The original stylus was of low compliance that fitted a somewhat heavy tone arm.

The original cart/stylus is not being made anymore. But I found specs to be almost the same in Nagaoka MP100, so I'm getting that.

That's why I made the case about getting the original part. It weighs 7,5g and the one I had weighed 10g. and the lightest I can buy in my town is 9g.
I never heard that cart myself but it gets stellar reviews!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@afterlife2 @davidscott
I haven't heard many carts, but I'll be happy to write a sentence or two, as long as you take it with a grain of salt since my short review will only point out if there's any change in regards to the audiotechnica and even that will heavily rely on audio memory since changing carts of different weight implies adjusting the tone arm zero balance every time you switch and that takes time.

Also, I’m not expecting a huge difference in performance; I’m merely trying to put an end to what I know suspect is a pinch warp exciting a bad stylus/tone arm combo. After a year of testing and dissecting this TT and finding nothing wrong with it whatsoever, I’ll try to move the resonant freq away from the common pinch warp band.

I’m not going for a better sound, just for my cones to stop silently dancing like crazy at the beginning of an LP.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Certainly not electronic, but qualifies as 'new stuff'! Went to the new local Bloomingdale's Outlet store, found these at $19.98! (regularly priced at $90)
IMG_2460.JPG

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
HOLY MOLY. Tried my best to get Rage tix when they went on sale, but they were already $325 for bad seats and $600 for anything decent in the first hour :mad:

But I managed to get these instead at a normal price lol

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My company managing over $60bil, but too cheap to continue paying $30-60/month for IT support staff cellphone service :mad:. So after a bit over two years, I need to fetch my own device.
Short version I went with Galaxy S10+ from eBay for $500. Advertised as Open box, Hopefully, it should be in like-new condition.
I recently went with Google Fi just to see how it was. So far it's pretty great, but your device might not support all their fancy features. Heck of a lot cheaper than ATT was for me. Where I live ATT signal sucks. So far Goole Fi has been much better (T-mobile).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, it is a pair of polarizing lenses, as you rotate them, the amount of light coming through varies.

Extremely useful for dialing in a good view of the moon!

Also, you would be surprised at what you can see with a good set of binoculars!

Maybe we should start an astronomy thread over in the steam vent.

I have a 6" Dob Reflector, an 80mm "go scope" refractor, and a 90mm Meade ETX OTA (need to figure out a solid mount for it). Eventually, I would like to go all in with a ~$2500 computerized scope in the 10" range or so......just not ready to spend those kind of $ on that hobby right now. Maybe when I retire and have more time to truly enjoy it and get my $ out of it.

To me, stargazing is very much one of my zen places.
Do that. My 5yo daughter is big into space and we recently got her a beginner telescope. That thread would help me show her how to use it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently went with Google Fi just to see how it was. So far it's pretty great, but your device might not support all their fancy features. Heck of a lot cheaper than ATT was for me. Where I live ATT signal sucks. So far Goole Fi has been much better (T-mobile).
Going with GoogleFi without a supported device means you're stuck on T-Mobile anyhow - as you already know.
You'd be missing out on dynamic carrier switching.

I was in fact considering GoogleFi, but :
a) I'm, not a huge fan of Pixel devices, 3a are underpowered/underwhelming and 3/4 missing 3.5mm which I will cling onto as much as I can for several reasons. The only thing really goes for them is longer software support and clean Android OS. These have value, but not critical for me.
b) T-Mobile pre-paid deal for $40/month with unlimited calls/txt and 10gb data seems to me like a better deal, especially since I tend to use 3-4gb data monthly and don't like to feel very restricted. GoogleFi can quickly get expensive with higher data usage.
c) Luck has it the device I bought on eBay was 1)indeed in like-new condition and 2) has a T-Mobile firmware on it, so it's 100% support all t-mobile things like visual voicemail and wifi-calling.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Going with GoogleFi without a supported device means you're stuck on T-Mobile anyhow - as you already know.
You'd be missing out on dynamic carrier switching.

I was in fact considering GoogleFi, but :
a) I'm, not a huge fan of Pixel devices, 3a are underpowered/underwhelming and 3/4 missing 3.5mm which I will cling onto as much as I can for several reasons. The only thing really goes for them is longer software support and clean Android OS. These have value, but not critical for me.
b) T-Mobile pre-paid deal for $40/month with unlimited calls/txt and 10gb data seems to me like a better deal, especially since I tend to use 3-4gb data monthly and don't like to feel very restricted. GoogleFi can quickly get expensive with higher data usage.
c) Luck has it the device I bought on eBay was 1)indeed in like-new condition and 2) has a T-Mobile firmware on it, so it's 100% support all t-mobile things like visual voicemail and wifi-calling.
Yeah, I'm missing the finger print reader on my Pixel 4xl, but my 1+6 wasn't compatible with any carrier's wifi calling so I figured why not try Fi. I don't use hardly any data, so it's a significant savings from ATT.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
HOLY MOLY. Tried my best to get Rage tix when they went on sale, but they were already $325 for bad seats and $600 for anything decent in the first hour :mad:

Man after own heart. Haven't been interested in Korn since the 90s, but oh well. I didn't see Tool this year because of the price so I get it.

You still haven't given me your flour tortilla recipe.:(

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

How much were the tix?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
YES:eek::p:Do_O Got tix for June in SF. I missed them on the last leg because of work, so was hyped to see they added more dates.

CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP

Last edited:
P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Went looking for either a new cartridge for my table or dark side of the moon sacd. Went with the dark side for $20, first sacd I've bought, wont replace vinyl playback for me though.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Went looking for either a new cartridge for my table or dark side of the moon sacd. Went with the dark side for $20, first sacd I've bought, wont replace vinyl playback for me though.
But you still need a new cartridge. :) Let us know hot that sacd sounds man. I have the regular cd and it sounds great to me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis