What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Treating myself to some Christmas gifts:
51IUCRg6a2L._SY355_.jpg

DIANA_KRALL_LOVE+SCENES-418219.jpg

71W94PzSzUL._SL1500_.jpg

rBVaSlrYoIeAeemHAAH9XrlU3sk255.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Some used CD's and everything else New. All for under $40 on fleabay. Happy Christmas! :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought these stands used for $65.00 I'm going to place my PSB400s on these and swap out the PSB500 when I get bored.

1577129705476.png

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Used Sacd
R-816384-1484174452-1726.jpeg.jpg

Got this cheap. Has extensive footage not seen before. The SQ is great on this performance.
M_RoyOrbisonBlackWhiteNight30_630_011217-200x160.jpg

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
All bought used. Onkyo sub(8 inch 120w) was $18. I read they are decent subs. It has a mesh in the hole, so no dust will get inside. Nice touch Onkyo. :) It will be used in a small room for music only, so should be good enough. BTW Essential 2CD is Johnny Cash for $1.50. :eek:
IMG_20200102_110330_027.jpg

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
All bought used. Onkyo sub(8 inch 120w) was $18. I read they are decent subs. It has a mesh in the hole, so no dust will get inside. Nice touch Onkyo. :) It will be used in a small room for music only, so should be good enough. BTW Essential 2CD is Johnny Cash for $1.50. :eek:
View attachment 33070
That will be a fun sub for HT, but I think you will find others much cleaner for music.
I have not heard this sub, but I did help out a guy who (on advice from AH and AVS) bought a RA 18" sealed sub (paired with the RBH Impression speakers) and he was upset that it did not put out as much powerful sound as his neighbor's cheap Onkyo sub. I spent some time listening to his system and it sounded pretty fine to me. His neighbor came over (they were buddies) and I started asking questions and he agreed that he heard much more detail on this system than his own and ultimately they both came to the realization that having a lot of indiscriminate power down low might not be the ultimate objective, after all!
Thus my expectation is that this will put out some serious SPL without much control over the FR. However, that was the 10" model.
Either way, at $18, you can play with it, learn a little, and flip it for $25 on Craigslist if you don't like it, so I would still consider that a win!
I drop by my local GoodWill periodically. I like yours better! I might see the same type of good stuff, but that would be over a matter of weeks, not on the same day.
The first things I do on a sub is look for a crossover control - generally not interested if it is not there as it was probably part of a sub-sat kit or HTiB. However, I kept seeing a bunch of Sony subwoofers go though (somebody must have sold a ton of them) - they are silver and close to a cube in shape. I was looking for a sub to pair with some 4.5" PreSonus monitors (with a sub output) I use for hotel when I travel by car. I looked up the spec for the speakers and for the sub and they were a decent match. I was very happy with the end result as I wanted something that could knock around in my trunk without my being upset if something punched a hole in the driver.
I also got a second to go with a $900 MSRP Yamaha "Sound Pojector" soundbar that I got for $20 at GW. I gave the soundbar to a friend who would never have a real system in her living room. That was a good find because while it was not as good as having a decent stereo, In stereo mode, it really was a pretty nice sound except for the bass. IME, all of the surround sound and other gimmick modes sounded very unnatural (although they were not so offensive and did add some depth in HT content. I was rewarded recently when she commented on how she would go to someone else's house and realize how crappy the TV speakers (or a very cheap sound bar) were in comparison! In neither of these cases was I looking for exceptional bass, just something to provide a little more depth to "size compromised" little drivers, and the ugly silver Sony did a decent job of it (fortunately, it was small enough to be hidden inside the console under her TV - generally a bad location given the 150Hz XO (IIRC), but in this case, the question is simply "is it better with or without", and for HT, the Sony definitely made a beneficial contribution!
It looks like you are set, but I would also keep an eye out for Sony BDP and look for the SACD symbols on them. Checking the back for HDMI is one of the first thing to look for with any DVD player. These Sony players seem to be pretty reliable and are by far cheaper than trying to find a CD player with SACD capability!
On AVR's, also look at the back first to see HDMI, Toslink and if it has pre-amp outputs - you can get a pretty good evaluation of whether it was a mid-range or high-range based on this info. And then there is Google to get more specific if it passes these "first pass" tests.
However, my best find was a ProForm treadmill for $45 (a lightening strike took out my old treadmill). My daughter runs cross-country and this is a solid pro machine that could handle 300+ pound football players working out, so it should last forever for my daughter (as long as she always unplugs it)!

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You know what KEW. I probably won't need the sub. I hooked up the DCM speakers and bass is real tight I'm guessing cause the room is small and I really don't actually need a sub. I'll play with it and see if it's as good as the Jamo I have. I had to take the Yamaha I bought cause vol control was bad and bought another Yammy R-V501 and it sounds great! A mere $5!!! Cleaned her up good inside and outside. Dust free now. Phew glad it worked out.
IMG_20200101_142431_619.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
^^Looks great congrats!
Returning the faulty cartridge to Amazon and ordered one of my favorite cartridges used AT110E on fleabay:
s-l640.jpg

ATC110E-2_large.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Turned the Amazon gift card my wife gave me into a replacement stylus for the Ortofon OM5e cartridge that came with my Dual CS503-1 turntable that I bought in 1988. LOL...it's the only thing I had remaining from that turntable, and now it's an OM10. Probably only there as a backup I hope I never need.

Today however, Amazon delivered the other item I bought on the gift card, a piece of Schiit. It's their Mani phono amp to replace the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM that I bought with the Pro-Ject RPM-1 turntable about 3 years ago. Wow, noticeable improvement! Yesterday I did stop in at my favorite dealer to pick up something for my daughter's BF and decided to spend precious little to upgrade the cheap RCA cable that also came with the TT. Audioquest Evergreen is their cheapest, $30.

Attachments

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Turned the Amzon guft card my wife gave me into a replacement stylus for the Ortofon OM5e cartridge that came with my Dual CS503-1 turntable that I bought in 1988. LOL...it's the only thing I had remaining from that turntable, and now it's an OM10. Probably only there as a backup I hope I never need.

Today however, Amazon delivered the other item I bought on the gift card, a piece of Schitt. It's their Mani phono amp to replace the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM that I bought with the Pro-Ject RPM-1 turntable about 3 years ago. Wow, noticeable improvement! Yesterday I did stop in at my favorite dealer to pick up something for my daughter's BF and decided to spend precious little to upgrade the cheap RCA cable that also came with the TT. Audioquest Evergreen is their cheapest, $30.
You're the only person I've know to brag about paying money for a POS!
Does that mean you are a coprophiliac?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You're the only person I've know to brag about paying money for a POS!
Does that mean you are a coprophiliac?
I hope that was a joke.

Yes, but it's a really good piece of Schiit. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis