What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm surprised no one has started a musical instrument thread. I have a vintage Ampeg V4B head that's all original (mid '70s). The V4B was basically the V4 without the reverb targeted at bass players. I haven't powered it up in years because I know that some of those caps have most certainly gone by now. A lot of players don't realize that while the amp may still work, those bad caps can leak DC that will fry the tubes. Hoping to do a complete restoration some day but the thing weighs over 40 lbs and there is 540V on the secondary from the power transformer, so not for the inexperienced tech.
Leaky caps is the reason I'm not playing my Bassman- being collectible, I don't want to fry any of the iron.

My amp weighs 47 pounds and it's a combo- I describe it as "Bulky, yet awkward".

Somehow, I got license plates with SVT when I registered my van.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm surprised no one has started a musical instrument thread. I have a vintage Ampeg V4B head that's all original (mid '70s). The V4B was basically the V4 without the reverb targeted at bass players. I haven't powered it up in years because I know that some of those caps have most certainly gone by now. A lot of players don't realize that while the amp may still work, those bad caps can leak DC that will fry the tubes. Hoping to do a complete restoration some day but the thing weighs over 40 lbs and there is 540V on the secondary from the power transformer, so not for the inexperienced tech.
You should start one!:) I'd post a couple of things on there.☕✌

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have heard of people walking into a Goodwill and buying a Tweed Champ for fifteen bucks, but not recently. THAT'S the kind of deal I'd like to see.

I thought I had checked every place that might have something, but forgot about one that's not terribly far from my house. Started as a jewelry store but they have added artwork, collectible knives, guitars & amps and the last one is partly due to the fact that the owner plays guitar and, I assume, collects. Checked out a small Vox and saw an Orange Crush 20RT sitting on another amp. I haven't been interested in little amps since "they all sound boxy". No, they don't. The used to, but that's not necessarily the case, now. I had also avoided solid state amps like the plague, but it's pretty good. I didn't have high expectations and was only looking for something to use while my other amp gets new filter caps- this one may stick around for awhile. The distortion channel is terrible- grindy, nasty, nothing I will use. I was familiar with Orange amps of the '70s, but hadn't needed something different in decades. My main amp turns 65 this month.
I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see anything.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Leaky caps is the reason I'm not laying my Bassman- being collectible, I don't want to fry any of the iron.

My amp weighs 47 pounds and it's a combo- I describe it as "Bulky, yet awkward".

Somehow, I got license plates with SVT when I registered my van.
The V4B has a couple of massive transformers which account for most of the weight. It's just a head so at over 40 pounds it's a little awkward to carry. I use a Kroth bass reflex cabinet with a 15" Electrovoice driver which is another 50 pounds. That's still lighter than the typical Ampeg 8x10 cab that most players use but the Kroth cabinet is built like a tank. Made in Canada by a small manufacturer so I'm not sure how well known the Kroth cabs are outside of Ontario.

You should start one!:) I'd post a couple of things on there.☕✌
Hehe... yeah, maybe I will. I only have proper pics of one bass but I own 3.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The V4B has a couple of massive transformers which account for most of the weight. It's just a head so at over 40 pounds it's a little awkward to carry. I use a Kroth bass reflex cabinet with a 15" Electrovoice driver which is another 50 pounds. That's still lighter than the typical Ampeg 8x10 cab that most players use but the Kroth cabinet is built like a tank. Made in Canada by a small manufacturer so I'm not sure how well known the Kroth cabs are outside of Ontario.

Hehe... yeah, maybe I will. I only have proper pics of one bass but I own 3.
WRT Kroth-never heard of them, but am a bit familiar with Traynor.

I have 2 basses- an Ibanez fretless and an SD Curlee which is not very well known.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Bought my first new Apple Watch since the Series 3 in Stainless Steel (upgraded to a Series 4 by Apple after a second failure and replacement). Went Ultra...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Nice.:) How do you like them? I have a pair of white Momentum 3's. They look completely different than yours. :)
I’ve only listened to them for a few minutes but they sound nice enough. The momentum 3s are nicer looking with the steel sliders but I also like the simple look of the new 4s :)

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Bit of a story, I only go to town when I have to, it's about an hours drive away. Some times I wonder into one of the OP shops [ charity shops, etc ] not for anything special, just for a poke round, Anyway this shop has a small collection of audio bit's and pieces, CD's small speakers, etc. Anyway on a shelf I spot a Bob Carver pre-amp, So I enquire to one of the little old ladies that volunteer in the place, to be told were not sure what it is, but we where hoping for 20 dollars. So I plug the thing in and everything lights up.

I think s**t I'm on a winner here. So I say to the lady, Make me a cup of coffee and give me one of those cream buns and I'll give you 50 dollars for that electric thing. So I join all the ladies for morning tea, And they think I'm wonderful. Which of cause I am.

So I get the pre-amp home hook it up to a pair of mono-bloc's and a couple of speakers, This things got a wonderful tone, with full control of Mid, bass, and balance controls.. Not really sure what I use it for ,but it's a keeper.carver PSC-50.png

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Bought my first new Apple Watch since the Series 3 in Stainless Steel (upgraded to a Series 4 by Apple after a second failure and replacement). Went Ultra...
Which band did you get? I've thought about upgrading my series 5 to an ultra but since it still works just fine I can't bring myself to do it.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I just got an Eversolo Z8s along with a subscription to Audirvana studio. I was reading some stuff about how the computer automatically upsamples and downsamples and Audirvana prevents that from happening. Figured I try it out. A little pricy but I plan to do some AB testing with Audirvana/ Qobuz and Spotify when my new speakers arrive. If I can really tell a night-a-day difference I'll leave it in my main system, otherwise, it's going to stay on my desktop. The VU meters are fun :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Which band did you get? I've thought about upgrading my series 5 to an ultra but since it still works just fine I can't bring myself to do it.
Midnight Ocean. My main thing is swimming, so the ocean band made more sense... I forget which, but one of the others is supposed to be good in the water too.
My biggest problem was the battery, after 4 yrs, was toast... I'd go for a swim with the activity app running, get out and be down at 68% from 100% in 90 minutes... Have to recharge after I get home just to make it through the day.

I will say, the Ultra is a chunker. It is noticeably bigger on my wrist compared to the standard chassis with curved edges. It's not a complete deal breaker for me, but had I been able to compare prior to purchasing, I would have appreciated better the difference...
That said, the screen IS nice and I like the fact i'm not trying to touch a single pixel in the upper left corner to go back a screen...
So, tradeoffs.
IMG_0330.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis