What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thought of you when I saw this yesterday at a thrift store. It was $69. Nope didn't get it, but decent deal though.
View attachment 60384
The thrift stores around here don't have anything like that- goodwill has been taking the good stuff and putting it on their website. I was looking a guitar amps today and saw a stereo power amp with a $4000 price.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The thrift stores around here don't have anything like that- goodwill has been taking the good stuff and putting it on their website. I was looking a guitar amps today and saw a stereo power amp with a $4000 price.
Damn that sucks I see guitar amps all the time. From small to big at my thrift stores.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
☕✌Get it yet? Let's see some pics. :p
Yep came in Monday. Still setting it up, one of the mods wasn't correct so not completely built/rideable yet. I can only last so long in the garage this time of year, its damn cold out there (we got snow Monday evening too, so riding opportunities are slim anyways).

highfigh

highfigh

Damn that sucks I see guitar amps all the time. From small to big at my thrift stores.
I have heard of people walking into a Goodwill and buying a Tweed Champ for fifteen bucks, but not recently. THAT'S the kind of deal I'd like to see.

I thought I had checked every place that might have something, but forgot about one that's not terribly far from my house. Started as a jewelry store but they have added artwork, collectible knives, guitars & amps and the last one is partly due to the fact that the owner plays guitar and, I assume, collects. Checked out a small Vox and saw an Orange Crush 20RT sitting on another amp. I haven't been interested in little amps since "they all sound boxy". No, they don't. The used to, but that's not necessarily the case, now. I had also avoided solid state amps like the plague, but it's pretty good. I didn't have high expectations and was only looking for something to use while my other amp gets new filter caps- this one may stick around for awhile. The distortion channel is terrible- grindy, nasty, nothing I will use. I was familiar with Orange amps of the '70s, but hadn't needed something different in decades. My main amp turns 65 this month.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard of people walking into a Goodwill and buying a Tweed Champ for fifteen bucks, but not recently. THAT'S the kind of deal I'd like to see.

I thought I had checked every place that might have something, but forgot about one that's not terribly far from my house. Started as a jewelry store but they have added artwork, collectible knives, guitars & amps and the last one is partly due to the fact that the owner plays guitar and, I assume, collects. Checked out a small Vox and saw an Orange Crush 20RT sitting on another amp. I haven't been interested in little amps since "they all sound boxy". No, they don't. The used to, but that's not necessarily the case, now. I had also avoided solid state amps like the plague, but it's pretty good. I didn't have high expectations and was only looking for something to use while my other amp gets new filter caps- this one may stick around for awhile. The distortion channel is terrible- grindy, nasty, nothing I will use. I was familiar with Orange amps of the '70s, but hadn't needed something different in decades. My main amp turns 65 this month.
I'm surprised no one has started a musical instrument thread. I have a vintage Ampeg V4B head that's all original (mid '70s). The V4B was basically the V4 without the reverb targeted at bass players. I haven't powered it up in years because I know that some of those caps have most certainly gone by now. A lot of players don't realize that while the amp may still work, those bad caps can leak DC that will fry the tubes. Hoping to do a complete restoration some day but the thing weighs over 40 lbs and there is 540V on the secondary from the power transformer, so not for the inexperienced tech.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm surprised no one has started a musical instrument thread. I have a vintage Ampeg V4B head that's all original (mid '70s). The V4B was basically the V4 without the reverb targeted at bass players. I haven't powered it up in years because I know that some of those caps have most certainly gone by now. A lot of players don't realize that while the amp may still work, those bad caps can leak DC that will fry the tubes. Hoping to do a complete restoration some day but the thing weighs over 40 lbs and there is 540V on the secondary from the power transformer, so not for the inexperienced tech.
Leaky caps is the reason I'm not playing my Bassman- being collectible, I don't want to fry any of the iron.

My amp weighs 47 pounds and it's a combo- I describe it as "Bulky, yet awkward".

Somehow, I got license plates with SVT when I registered my van.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You should start one!:) I'd post a couple of things on there.☕✌

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see anything.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Leaky caps is the reason I'm not laying my Bassman- being collectible, I don't want to fry any of the iron.

My amp weighs 47 pounds and it's a combo- I describe it as "Bulky, yet awkward".

Somehow, I got license plates with SVT when I registered my van.
The V4B has a couple of massive transformers which account for most of the weight. It's just a head so at over 40 pounds it's a little awkward to carry. I use a Kroth bass reflex cabinet with a 15" Electrovoice driver which is another 50 pounds. That's still lighter than the typical Ampeg 8x10 cab that most players use but the Kroth cabinet is built like a tank. Made in Canada by a small manufacturer so I'm not sure how well known the Kroth cabs are outside of Ontario.

You should start one!:) I'd post a couple of things on there.☕✌
Hehe... yeah, maybe I will. I only have proper pics of one bass but I own 3.

highfigh

highfigh

The V4B has a couple of massive transformers which account for most of the weight. It's just a head so at over 40 pounds it's a little awkward to carry. I use a Kroth bass reflex cabinet with a 15" Electrovoice driver which is another 50 pounds. That's still lighter than the typical Ampeg 8x10 cab that most players use but the Kroth cabinet is built like a tank. Made in Canada by a small manufacturer so I'm not sure how well known the Kroth cabs are outside of Ontario.

Hehe... yeah, maybe I will. I only have proper pics of one bass but I own 3.
WRT Kroth-never heard of them, but am a bit familiar with Traynor.

I have 2 basses- an Ibanez fretless and an SD Curlee which is not very well known.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis