What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My older Fluke 85III has a mode selection dial like your 115. True RMS and true auto ranging. It was free to me though. Nice gift from a friend who upgraded to one of their graphing models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just completed a new roof and gutter system....good thing I've got all the audio toys I do already....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My older Fluke 85III has a mode selection dial like your 115. True RMS and true auto ranging. It was free to me though. Nice gift from a friend who upgraded to one of their graphing models.
nice friend. It's still $90-100 on the fleebay

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Auto-Ranging isn't same thing auto signal detection. Autorange just means I don't have to select 0-1v to 1-100v dial selections.
I asked on eevblog forums and been told that Fluke is SAFE and Durable. but I rather have features, accuracy and cheap price :)
The full discussion is here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/looking-for-help-selecting-a-budget-multi-meter-im-quite-overwhelmed/
Basically, I've considered the pros and the cons and made a choice :)
I'll have to read up on that.

My decision was: Ask my friend that is an electronics repair tech by profession, and he uses that Fluke. Done!

Of course, I have some cheap DMMs, and a Tektronix O-Scope too

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Auto-Ranging isn't same thing auto signal detection. Autorange just means I don't have to select 0-1v to 1-100v dial selections.
I asked on eevblog forums and been told that Fluke is SAFE and Durable. but I rather have features, accuracy and cheap price :)
The full discussion is here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/looking-for-help-selecting-a-budget-multi-meter-im-quite-overwhelmed/
Basically, I've considered the pros and the cons and made a choice :)
I did a little browsing on that thread, I'll look a little more when I have time.

It should be mentioned that absolute accuracy typically isn't important in electronics. More often than not, if the measurement is in the ballpark of the expected range, that is all you need. Usually, it will be clear cut when something is malfunctioning or out of the acceptable range, less often will a measurement be borderline or marginal that causes a failure.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Got me one of these after my ~11 yo Dyson crapped out (belt tore through the plastic front so the brush is dead).

Turns out I didn't know what I was missing. This thing (being cordless) is MUCH better at picking up stuff than my Dyson ever was.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
I did a little browsing on that thread, I'll look a little more when I have time.

It should be mentioned that absolute accuracy typically isn't important in electronics. More often than not, if the measurement is in the ballpark of the expected range, that is all you need. Usually, it will be clear cut when something is malfunctioning or out of the acceptable range, less often will a measurement be borderline or marginal that causes a failure.
I work for a company that sells and services medical imaging equipment (think CT, X-ray, MRI,...). We recently explored our field engineers kits and decided to stick with the pricey, but super dependable Flukes.

For accuracy, you want an OScope. For quick measurements, the ole dmm is the way to go.

I've seen lesser dmm's be off by more than 0.7V, and that's when you start getting into trouble with your measured results.

I just got a Umik and the REW software. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the results REW gives me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Got me one of these after my ~11 yo Dyson crapped out (belt tore through the plastic front so the brush is dead).

Turns out I didn't know what I was missing. This thing (being cordless) is MUCH better at picking up stuff than my Dyson ever was.
How long does the charge last? Can it do an entire house with carpets.say 1500sq ft ?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I work for a company that sells and services medical imaging equipment (think CT, X-ray, MRI,...). We recently explored our field engineers kits and decided to stick with the pricey, but super dependable Flukes.

For accuracy, you want an OScope. For quick measurements, the ole dmm is the way to go.

I've seen lesser dmm's be off by more than 0.7V, and that's when you start getting into trouble with your measured results.

I just got a Umik and the REW software. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the results REW gives me.
Good info!

I work in the Semiconductor Manufacturing field, in the analytical chemistry labs. So, I understand the significance of 0.7V inaccuracy, as that happens to be the turn-on voltage for a pn junction in Silicon. But, around the house, even that much inaccuracy may be fine for most work. 0.7V may not be significant as compared to the magnitude of the signal.

I also work on X-Ray generators, ICPMS tools, chromatography instruments, etc. But, rarely do I need a DMM for my work. If I get down to that point, usually it's a call to the vendor or a trip to internal repair shop. Not to say that I can't do it, just that we have a dedicated shop with all the tools and guys that do nothing all day except electronics repair.

_Mithrandir_

_Mithrandir_

Enthusiast
I picked up a SVS PB-1000 from the svs outlet Memorial Day sale. Yesterday was the day I had time to set it up and start to really dial it in. Man this thing is awesome! Most of my gear has been somewhat entry level maybe upper entry level even and this sub is the first piece of kit that I really consider upper level. The build quality is superb, the ease of set up is ideal and the sounds, well, the sounds just blow my wig back. I finally understand what accurate bass is. I feel it in my chest, it shakes the couch, but it is not overpowering. I love this. Maybe I am arriving a little late to the game but at least I am there now!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How long does the charge last? Can it do an entire house with carpets.say 1500sq ft ?
It says 14 min, but it comes with two batteries. I did my whole kitchen, living room, hall, and entry with it before it does. Probably around 1400 sqaure feet or so. All carpet (bleh).

I'm surprised how good it is for what I paid.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
OnePlus 7 Pro (no headphone jack) I am going to try and see how well AptX HD works as I look for a new set of earbuds. The screen is absolutely amazing. Camera is a notch better now with software patch. The Nebula Blue is an eye catching color. I purchased directly from OnePlus.com which didn't charge tax and I have not experienced any of the reported bugs so far. It comes with a dual sim so I may put my Verizon work phone on it and go with one phone. Just got it today, so will write a review once I have had some time. This may replace my XSMas

Attachments

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've been busy :D.

I wanted a new router so I procured a Netgear Nighthawk AX12 next gen router. I've only had it for a few hours but so far it's working great. Setup was super easy but a bit too handholdy for an old IT guy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3FGKYD

I also installed my new Sony UBP-X800M2 and I like it a lot. The old BP-Ux80 is going to replace the Oppo in my bedroom. One thing that surprised me is that the only three streaming apps are Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube. It's no big deal because use my Shield TV for streaming.

I've been having heat issues with my receiver due to its location so I picked up an AC Infinity T8 rear vented cooling fan. It's been doing a great job of keeping my receiver down to 85 degrees but it's far from silent.

Finally, I needed just one more watch and I like the sporty retro look so picked up a Swiss made Tissot T-Sport PRS516 Automatic chronograph.

Whew, now back to tight budgets for a while lol.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Yet another Indiana Jones "Staff of Ra" (Imam version by Relicmaker) has arrived. This is a second generation mold with a separate soldered on wire braid (as close as you can get to the original screen version short of owning the one used in the movie). Also my priciest piece to buy.... (first pic shows Indy display in back of my home theater. In order, lef to right, "Fertility Idol" from beginning of movie, "Raven Bar" version of medallion (in the bar scene near beginning of movie and map room scene) , 'Imam" version of Medallion (where the guy reads it; "and take back one kadam..."), a 1/6 scale Ark of the Covenant, the "Acem Artifact" version of the "Imam" version (different mold used, one-piece and more polished), the "Belloq" (German one-sided) version made from Toht's hand and an Egyptian necklace with the Horus design on it that the medallion was designed from (actually from a medallion showing the same basic Horus design, but I couldn't find a reproduction of that anywhere).

Second photo = Front of RM Medallion, Third Photo = Back of medallion. 4th Photo shows the soldered on intricate wire braid on the edge.

Indy Overview Number 2.jpg Staff of Ram IMAM Front RM S.jpg Staff of Ram IMAM Back RM S.jpg WireBraid Big S2.jpg

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Salamander synergy 339 Black with perforated steel doors. Comes in tomorrow I will get some pics from up.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been busy :D.

I wanted a new router so I procured a Netgear Nighthawk AX12 next gen router. I've only had it for a few hours but so far it's working great. Setup was super easy but a bit too handholdy for an old IT guy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3FGKYD

I also installed my new Sony UBP-X800M2 and I like it a lot. The old BP-Ux80 is going to replace the Oppo in my bedroom. One thing that surprised me is that the only three streaming apps are Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube. It's no big deal because use my Shield TV for streaming.

How do you like the Sony? I have one and thinks its a very solid player. My only peeve is that the online service for looking up CD info ( I forget the name of the service ) is no longer working despite firmware upgrades.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I caught these images on my security cameras! Someone was trying to steal my Ark! I can't show the last picture as he's dead on the floor after touching it.... :D

Ark dude stand S.jpg
Ark dude grab S.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Used Taylormade RBZ2 5 wood to match my 3 wood. The 3 is the best I have ever had so I hope the 5 can come close.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis