What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Was a lot of work. I would have to often do an all nighter on holidays and would be totally beat by the end of it all.
Obviously I'm not as perfectionist at smoking as you are but the all nighters are exactly why I own two electric smokers. One vented smoker for a larger or crustier smoke and one sealed smoker for a moist smoke. I have not done a brisket but I like the add a handful of chips and then set it and forget it for 8-10 hours ease of my sealed Old Smokey. My much larger vented smoker just needs wood chips every 1-1/2 to 2 hours for the first few hours of the smoke and then I can take another nap for the duration of the smoke.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Obviously I'm not as perfectionist at smoking as you are but the all nighters are exactly why I own two electric smokers. One vented smoker for a larger or crustier smoke and one sealed smoker for a moist smoke. I have not done a brisket but I like the add a handful of chips and then set it and forget it for 8-10 hours ease of my sealed Old Smokey. My much larger vented smoker just needs wood chips every 1-1/2 to 2 hours for the first few hours of the smoke and then I can take another nap for the duration of the smoke.
They/we didn't really have all that when I built it. It was always a great way to get rid of all the oak storm debris during/after storm season. There was nothing perfectionist about it nor discounting other methods. We were young and it was inexpensive. Staying up all night was partly because I usually bake two (sweet potato and apple) pies as well.

I'm just thinking it's about time for the youngsters to take over these tasks. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
BSA
The instant read thermometers have a place and I have 2 of them. For that valuable 2nd opinion and for knowing the temp RIGHT NOW, the instant reads are great.

The one I just got fills a need for longer cooking times. What's the temp inside the smoker? That's important to watch throughout a long cook time. And what's the temp inside the meat? Two independent variables to manage. This unit has been awesome on its maiden voyage. Wireless remote unit sits next to me and tells me what's happening. No opening the smoker and having to resettle it.

Managing 2 different variables is pretty stinkin cool as well. I never knew they made this kind of stuff.
I've been using a $10 unit from the grocery store for a lot of years. The fun factor has been worth the price of the unit. The thing just looks cool sitting there. What will they think of next?
Agreed. Once I got a remote thermometer I can't imagine smoking without one.

Got me a new smoker recently. HUGE upgrade from my cheapo tube with a firebox. Fun getting that heavy sucker into and out of my truck. Geeze.

IMG_20180526_151143.jpg

Two briskets, two racks of ribs, tons of chicken and sausage. Good stuff.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
My last smoker finally died 2 years ago. It was a somewhat gutted Philco refrigerator with the death door. Had a Franklin stove plumbed about 6 ft off the back of it. One of the sides on the bottom rotted and broke and the whole works fell over. I could have rigged it again but it had been held together with all-thread and bailing wire for years by that point. We could fit 40 fish in it, two large turkeys etc., burning primarily live oak from my back yard or elsewhere.

Was a lot of work. I would have to often do an all nighter on holidays and would be totally beat by the end of it all. Used to do a smoked turkey on Thanksgiving, along with an oven roasted one. The smoked bird would get picked nearly clean. Pork butts were also a favorite. Smoked mullet (fish) is a big deal down here. There does not have to be a holiday for that, just a mention of it.

Now I don't know if I feel like learning another way but I may look into it after seeing your post. I had used that refrigerator over 30 years. I have recently considered converting an old electric range/oven, which would be nice being they are all porcelain inside and insulated for much higher temps with adjustable stainless steel racks etc.
MrBoat
I enjoyed your post and I was thinking of making some grille/bbq/smoker recommendations when it occurred to me that the same problems/cautions abound in the area of bbq's as in the world of audio. IMHO, the crowd that cares about grilles/bbq's/smokers is even more prone to strong feelings and obsessions than the audio crowd.

Here's what occurred to me as I pondered a recommendation:

1. What is your goal for the bbq (I will shorten all the types to : a bbq for now)?
2. What is your budget to buy? What is your time budget for cooking? Food budget?
3 How much room do you have? Covered patio? Big fancy back yard?
4 How much say does the wife have/significant other/roomie?
5. How much experience do you have in using said bbq?
6 What do you like to eat ?
7 How much DIY do you do verses buying everything at Walmart?

Then it occurred to me that in the world of bbq, just the words you use, the terminology, is laden with land mines and hidden dangers. Say the wrong word, or use the wrong phrase, and the "true bbq people" will chew you up and spit you out. (I love a good pun). There are also different camps, with all the fervor and vigor of a southern religion, waiting for you to present an evangelizing opportunity. There's evil out there, and they know what the mistakes are that lead you down to bbq perdition.

I decided that I won't venture out a recommendation in this perilous discussion area of bbq. Audio is dangerous enough. I will just finish with a picture of my latest creation from yesterdays all day cooking fiesta. Brisket burnt ends. I never heard of them before last week. Now, I love 'em and can't imagine where they've been all my eatin' life.
Brisket 6.jpg

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed. Once I got a remote thermometer I can't imagine smoking without one.
Got me a new smoker recently. HUGE upgrade from my cheapo tube with a firebox. Fun getting that heavy sucker into and out of my truck. Geeze.
Two briskets, two racks of ribs, tons of chicken and sausage. Good stuff.
panteragstk
that is a great looking setup. what were you cooking for? a small army?
For all the cool setups that you can buy, there are equally as many that DIY folks build.
Next door neighbor to one of my kids has a portable bbq business. He cooks the meat, and shows up and caters your event. All his rigs are on trailers he can pull behind his truck(s). These are gigantic smokers, and all 100% crafted by someone like @MrBoat who knows how to weld and build things that are designed for a function. They are awesome to look at. Total overkill for a household, but cool nevertheless.

again, great looking rig.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
panteragstk
that is a great looking setup. what were you cooking for? a small army?
For all the cool setups that you can buy, there are equally as many that DIY folks build.
Next door neighbor to one of my kids has a portable bbq business. He cooks the meat, and shows up and caters your event. All his rigs are on trailers he can pull behind his truck(s). These are gigantic smokers, and all 100% crafted by someone like @MrBoat who knows how to weld and build things that are designed for a function. They are awesome to look at. Total overkill for a household, but cool nevertheless.

again, great looking rig.
Memorial day BBQ. We typically have around 20 people or so when we have people over.

I thought about going the DIY route since my brother in law's father in law owns a welding company, but when I saw how well this one was built and designed I figured I couldn't do better for the price. Plus they are made locally so I got to support a local business.

3/16 steel holds heat very well.

Interior Features:
  • Vertical Smoke Box - (4) large grills
  • Fire box - (1) large grill
  • Heat shield w/adjustable baffles
  • Liquid reservoir chamber
  • Slide out grills and ash tray
The heat shield makes sure nothing really gets direct heat unless I want it to. The liquid reservoir is in the fire box so I can put water/juice or whatever in there.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yall making me hungry, dangit.
New Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter SD/Micro SD Card Reader with Standard USB (99 cent) Works great.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
MrBoat
I enjoyed your post and I was thinking of making some grille/bbq/smoker recommendations when it occurred to me that the same problems/cautions abound in the area of bbq's as in the world of audio. IMHO, the crowd that cares about grilles/bbq's/smokers is even more prone to strong feelings and obsessions than the audio crowd.

Here's what occurred to me as I pondered a recommendation:

1. What is your goal for the bbq (I will shorten all the types to : a bbq for now)?
2. What is your budget to buy? What is your time budget for cooking? Food budget?
3 How much room do you have? Covered patio? Big fancy back yard?
4 How much say does the wife have/significant other/roomie?
5. How much experience do you have in using said bbq?
6 What do you like to eat ?
7 How much DIY do you do verses buying everything at Walmart?

Then it occurred to me that in the world of bbq, just the words you use, the terminology, is laden with land mines and hidden dangers. Say the wrong word, or use the wrong phrase, and the "true bbq people" will chew you up and spit you out. (I love a good pun). There are also different camps, with all the fervor and vigor of a southern religion, waiting for you to present an evangelizing opportunity. There's evil out there, and they know what the mistakes are that lead you down to bbq perdition.

I decided that I won't venture out a recommendation in this perilous discussion area of bbq. Audio is dangerous enough. I will just finish with a picture of my latest creation from yesterdays all day cooking fiesta. Brisket burnt ends. I never heard of them before last week. Now, I love 'em and can't imagine where they've been all my eatin' life.
Hey. I'd take your suggestion seriously. You have shown good logic and practicality with your other ventures. I don't expect bbq would be any less.

My initial reply was more of an indication of just how far things have come with this, comparatively. At first, we didn't even have or use thermometers. We cooked by wristwatch/pound. Temperature was an educated guess. We always managed to luck out. Fish, we know very well. We always get around the same size, give or take, and we can just tell by looking at them. It's just one other thing, like audio that has left me in the dust.

I have built and repaired a few smokers/grills in my day, along with a heap of restaurant equipment, but I would not mind a manufactured one. This is a trend that has been well covered. I doubt I could improve much making it myself.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Universal power supply and some panel/chassis parts for an amp (Pass's diy F5) I am assembling. I could have possibly saved a few nickels sourcing all of the parts myself but this is where madness lies. Sometimes, it's just better to pay those who are used to inventorying such things.

Still have to dream up a chassis and heat sink for all this project.

I do have to source the electronic parts for the power supply, as there is no kit for that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My last smoker finally died 2 years ago. It was a somewhat gutted Philco refrigerator with the death door. Had a Franklin stove plumbed about 6 ft off the back of it. One of the sides on the bottom rotted and broke and the whole works fell over. I could have rigged it again but it had been held together with all-thread and bailing wire for years by that point. We could fit 40 fish in it, two large turkeys etc., burning primarily live oak from my back yard or elsewhere.

Was a lot of work. I would have to often do an all nighter on holidays and would be totally beat by the end of it all. Used to do a smoked turkey on Thanksgiving, along with an oven roasted one. The smoked bird would get picked nearly clean. Pork butts were also a favorite. Smoked mullet (fish) is a big deal down here. There does not have to be a holiday for that, just a mention of it.

Now I don't know if I feel like learning another way but I may look into it after seeing your post. I had used that refrigerator over 30 years. I have recently considered converting an old electric range/oven, which would be nice being they are all porcelain inside and insulated for much higher temps with adjustable stainless steel racks etc.
My brother built his own smokers, likes this site a lot http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought the following vinyl;
this one new ...a very jazzy blues.....

this used;

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Added an AC infinity cooling fan to the set up. This thing is awesome. I really regret not getting one sooner.

unnamed2.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis