What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have my primary music library on an external RAID array attached to my iMac. Its run without incident since 2010. That's an eternity in computer years. This last week I had a disk drive fail in the RAID array. I could tell because it was making a racket. I slid out the offending drive and my music was unaffected: it was all preserved on the surviving drive.

My purchase this week was a brand new hard disk for the array. I popped it in, the RAID array rebuilt its duplicate image and I was back in 100% protected business. I also have another complete copy on another music server that also has an external array. And then there's all the CD's sitting in a safe. Backups are boring, but backups make the inevitable crash and burn that computers will do survivable and mostly non-events.
I once called a friends RAID a "Raid Array" and he said I was being "redundant." We just stood there looking at each other funny, not sure of what to say next.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I once called a friends RAID a "Raid Array" and he said I was being "redundant." We just stood there looking at each other funny, not sure of what to say next.
For the uniniated raid stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks, originally Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks.
Saying "raid array", array is redundant. Pretty much everyone not being sticklers on this one

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
If the worst thing that happens when you have a disk drive fail is your grammar gets called out, that qualifies as a good day.:)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I laughed a lot harder at that than I should have. Nice.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
If the worst thing that happens when you have a disk drive fail is your grammar gets called out, that qualifies as a good day.:)
It's actually a true story with a friend who is a computer nerd. He was always dusting off my lack of tech terminology to the OCDth degree. After I caught on a bit, I used to mess with him with it because I knew it irked him. He is way too serious and does not get the digs and these interactions would take on a rather awkward humor that was funny only to me, and others with an actual sense of such.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Be sure to check out David Bowie's version if you don't already know it.
If I just heard them both without paying attention to the lyrics, I'm not sure I would recognize them as the same song!
Sure is different, but nicely done in a Bowie way.

Got this cheap used 3D blu-ray(Great reviews) disc only included via the bay.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DTS-HD-MA remastered tracks sound great compared to the old DVD.

This one was on sale:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Is that the Sparc or AIR, so hard to tell the difference. I love my Mavic AIR
Mavic Air. Got the fly more bundle so 3 batteries and a few other goodies. Pretty excited that it arrives tomorrow.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Mavic Air. Got the fly more bundle so 3 batteries and a few other goodies. Pretty excited that it arrives tomorrow.
IF you ordered from DJI, or authorized reseller, make sure you get the extended warranty, it is well worth it. You only have 48 hours to buy from DJI.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I am working on my grilling and bbq technique out here in the desert. Cooking over fire is a satisfying way to make a meal. Recently, I was given a 2lb Tomahawk Prime Ribeye for father's day and grilling that up was a hoot. I don't cook much Prime beef, but that was worth it. This week I went and grabbed a Prime whole beef brisket to do tomorrow for a family get together. Since that's low and slow real bbq'ing I felt the need for some tools. LIke a wireless, dual probe, temperature thermo unit. The only way to manage expensive meat over time is with temp control so I jumped in the pool for a nice wireless unit. Tomorrow is the initial flight with this unit and some prime brisket.
BBQ Thermo 2.jpg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am working on my grilling and bbq technique out here in the desert. Cooking over fire is a satisfying way to make a meal. Recently, I was given a 2lb Tomahawk Prime Ribeye for father's day and grilling that up was a hoot. I don't cook much Prime beef, but that was worth it. This week I went and grabbed a Prime whole beef brisket to do tomorrow for a family get together. Since that's low and slow real bbq'ing I felt the need for some tools. LIke a wireless, dual probe, temperature thermo unit. The only way to manage expensive meat over time is with temp control so I jumped in the pool for a nice wireless unit. Tomorrow is the initial flight with this unit and some prime brisket.
View attachment 24709
I've got a different brand and love it. I will say, the one time I sprung for a prime brisket I didn't think it was worth it. Tons of fat on an already fatty cut of beef. May have just been the one I got. Brisket is one of my favorite things. Just takes SOOOOOOOOO long to cook. At least, the way I do it.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I've got a different brand and love it. I will say, the one time I sprung for a prime brisket I didn't think it was worth it. Tons of fat on an already fatty cut of beef. May have just been the one I got. Brisket is one of my favorite things. Just takes SOOOOOOOOO long to cook. At least, the way I do it.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out.
since I'm still smokin' it, I'm about 3 hours away from being done, I can attest to the length of time it takes. I plan on 8 hours. Lets see what happens. I didn't set out to do a Prime cut. But, I wanted a brisket Point to do burnt ends and could find no cuts by itself. I could only locate a Prime packer brisket and decided to do it and see what happens. Tons of fat? OMG. That doesn't begin to describe the amount of fat on that thing........before you trim it. I'll have to comment on whether it was worth it after we eat :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
View attachment 24709
Geez, it's like a Rols-Royce of meat thermometers. R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
I went with much more humble option for a similar purpose:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDE0QQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Best $20 spent

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Geez, it's like a Rols-Royce of meat thermometers. R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
I went with much more humble option for a similar purpose:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDE0QQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Best $20 spent
BSA
The instant read thermometers have a place and I have 2 of them. For that valuable 2nd opinion and for knowing the temp RIGHT NOW, the instant reads are great.

The one I just got fills a need for longer cooking times. What's the temp inside the smoker? That's important to watch throughout a long cook time. And what's the temp inside the meat? Two independent variables to manage. This unit has been awesome on its maiden voyage. Wireless remote unit sits next to me and tells me what's happening. No opening the smoker and having to resettle it.

Managing 2 different variables is pretty stinkin cool as well. I never knew they made this kind of stuff.
I've been using a $10 unit from the grocery store for a lot of years. The fun factor has been worth the price of the unit. The thing just looks cool sitting there. What will they think of next?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
BSA
The instant read thermometers have a place and I have 2 of them. For that valuable 2nd opinion and for knowing the temp RIGHT NOW, the instant reads are great.

The one I just got fills a need for longer cooking times. What's the temp inside the smoker? That's important to watch throughout a long cook time. And what's the temp inside the meat? Two independent variables to manage. This unit has been awesome on its maiden voyage. Wireless remote unit sits next to me and tells me what's happening. No opening the smoker and having to resettle it.

Managing 2 different variables is pretty stinkin cool as well. I never knew they made this kind of stuff.
I've been using a $10 unit from the grocery store for a lot of years. The fun factor has been worth the price of the unit. The thing just looks cool sitting there. What will they think of next?
My last smoker finally died 2 years ago. It was a somewhat gutted Philco refrigerator with the death door. Had a Franklin stove plumbed about 6 ft off the back of it. One of the sides on the bottom rotted and broke and the whole works fell over. I could have rigged it again but it had been held together with all-thread and bailing wire for years by that point. We could fit 40 fish in it, two large turkeys etc., burning primarily live oak from my back yard or elsewhere.

Was a lot of work. I would have to often do an all nighter on holidays and would be totally beat by the end of it all. Used to do a smoked turkey on Thanksgiving, along with an oven roasted one. The smoked bird would get picked nearly clean. Pork butts were also a favorite. Smoked mullet (fish) is a big deal down here. There does not have to be a holiday for that, just a mention of it.

Now I don't know if I feel like learning another way but I may look into it after seeing your post. I had used that refrigerator over 30 years. I have recently considered converting an old electric range/oven, which would be nice being they are all porcelain inside and insulated for much higher temps with adjustable stainless steel racks etc.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My last smoker finally died 2 years ago. It was a somewhat gutted Philco refrigerator with the death door. Had a Franklin stove plumbed about 6 ft off the back of it. One of the sides on the bottom rotted and broke and the whole works fell over. I could have rigged it again but it had been held together with all-thread and bailing wire for years by that point. We could fit 40 fish in it, two large turkeys etc., burning primarily live oak from my back yard or elsewhere.

Was a lot of work. I would have to often do an all nighter on holidays and would be totally beat by the end of it all. Used to do a smoked turkey on Thanksgiving, along with an oven roasted one. The smoked bird would get picked nearly clean. Pork butts were also a favorite. Smoked mullet (fish) is a big deal down here. There does not have to be a holiday for that, just a mention of it.

Now I don't know if I feel like learning another way but I may look into it after seeing your post. I had used that refrigerator over 30 years. I have recently considered converting an old electric range/oven, which would be nice being they are all porcelain inside and insulated for much higher temps with adjustable stainless steel racks etc.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/8hfvml

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis