What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
that may require an audition !
Ha! I'll be in touch Buck! I'd like to have you over to hear the new and improved bass response too. I remember you commenting on it last time and you were right. It was lacking. I put in quite a bit of effort to improve it, but when I heard it, it was worth it.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Glad my wife and I are kind of "in a groove" with coffee and have comparatively low standards.

I have a Capresso GS grind-brew coffeemaker. Real simple. I fill the "10 cup" reservoir with cold water every night, top off the bean supply in the grinder with 8 O'clock beans, and put a clean dry paper (gasp!) filter in the basket.

In the morning hit the button and it grinds for 10 or 15 seconds, starts brewing at 200ºF. Within 6 minutes, 3 big cups for her, 3 for me, and none to toss. Before I leave the house I dump the grounds, rinse everything out and it's ready for the recharge routine before I go to bed.

We go though less than one 12 ounce $6 bag a week, so maybe $22 month for the two of us. We both like the 8 O'clock coffee beans, so we're happy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kcups...I get you on the expense, but what's the waste? The Kcups themselves are green. We thought we were wasting more with the pot and pouring some out everyday.

They are expensive, it's one of those Costco purchases for us...now that it's only the two of us drinking...a box of Kcup works out to a little less than $20 a mo.
I just don't like the format, the Aeropress is more along the lines of a french press/espresso than drip (altho you can drip with it if you want to); somewhat green with the refillable kcup thingy I suppose, not otherwise (don't want the trash/recycling if I don't need to). I have a nice grinder and even roast my own beans now and then.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's all about pressure and extraction. French press does provide a bit of pressure which could improve extraction. Aeropress provides much more, probably about 2-3 bar. It's coffee is generally much stronger and more flavorful.
It's all cute, but for ultimate drink , espresso, one needs 9 bars of pressure. The combination of exactly 200f water degrees and 9 bar and to have both consistent and reliable are hard to achieve on cheap without many compromises.
I say, there's nothing wrong with liking drip coffee or aeropress, but espresso for me is like the end of the line. hardest to make perfectly, if perfect espresso does even exists. It's a challenge, not just quick and easy way to top off your coffeine levels

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Coffeine....you coining a new word? :)

I just looked for some of the info on pressure claims as when I bought the Aeropress but not finding what I want very easily...but think the air pressure should be in line with more than 3 bar. I wouldn't expect much pressure from a typical french press (I have several) but the Aeropress works similarly but is easier to clean in any case. You can alter pressure and drip time to customize your drink. Still the winner in this area....

ps Found this on the pressure created in the faq for the AeroPress:
The AeroPress filter is 2.5 inches in diameter so the area of the filter is 4.9 square inches. If you press down firmly on a scale, it is relatively easy to get the scale up to 25 pounds and then if you press hard on the scale, you can certainly get it up to 50 pounds. Therefore if you press similarly hard on your AeroPress while brewing coffee, the firm pressing will be at 5.1 psi (25 lbs/4.9 sq in) and the harder pressing will be at 10.2 psi (50 lbs/4.9 sq in). Since a bar of pressure is 14.7 psi, the former is .35 bar and the latter is .70 bar. We have done taste comparisons between minimal and maximum pressure on an AeroPress and our taste buds can’t tell the difference.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Coffeine....you coining a new word? :)

I just looked for some of the info on pressure claims as when I bought the Aeropress but not finding what I want very easily...but think the air pressure should be in line with more than 3 bar. I wouldn't expect much pressure from a typical french press (I have several) but the Aeropress works similarly but is easier to clean in any case. You can alter pressure and drip time to customize your drink. Still the winner in this area....

ps Found this on the pressure created in the faq for the AeroPress:
The AeroPress filter is 2.5 inches in diameter so the area of the filter is 4.9 square inches. If you press down firmly on a scale, it is relatively easy to get the scale up to 25 pounds and then if you press hard on the scale, you can certainly get it up to 50 pounds. Therefore if you press similarly hard on your AeroPress while brewing coffee, the firm pressing will be at 5.1 psi (25 lbs/4.9 sq in) and the harder pressing will be at 10.2 psi (50 lbs/4.9 sq in). Since a bar of pressure is 14.7 psi, the former is .35 bar and the latter is .70 bar. We have done taste comparisons between minimal and maximum pressure on an AeroPress and our taste buds can’t tell the difference.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9381315
http://www.wecravecoffee.com/how-to-make-crema-with-the-aeropress/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/comments/3ab7p5/tips_on_getting_more_pressure_out_of_the_aeropress/
https://dailycoffeenews.com/2017/08/22/fellows-prismo-brings-the-aeropress-closer-to-its-promise-of-espresso/

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Still rather have the Aeropress

They have some alternative method for making coffee with that that's suppose to be 'the way'. It's backwards and upside down or something. I use it. Getting the water temp right is why I pour boiling water into a Pyrex measuring cup. I figure 212 degrees poured into a cup might cool it to about 195 - 200 and then it gets poured into the coffee. It's great coffee but it uses a ton of coffee per cup. Still cheaper than Starbucks though.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is where it's at for me:

upload_2017-10-6_8-49-45.jpeg
If you don't want to spend 200-300$ for a coffee machine, this is what most Italians use for in house brewing. I don't know how well spread these are in your parts, so here's how it works:
upload_2017-10-6_8-53-27.jpeg
Water goes into the bottom chamber and coffee goes into the funnel filter. Water will push through the ground coffee but only when pressure builds up. Pressure will keep pushing the beverage on through the central column and it will end up nicely brewed in the top chamber.
My go to brand:
upload_2017-10-6_9-0-15.gif
No waste other than used coffee batch. You pour it into your mug. No cups, no filters. Gasket goes on for years.

We here don't believe you can make a proper coffee by just pouring hot water over it. That's what we call American coffee:). And our elders firmly believe our tea is stronger than that.

If it's without pressure, than it's Turkish style. @Alex2507 can help you with that one.:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They have some alternative method for making coffee with that that's suppose to be 'the way'. It's backwards and upside down or something. I use it. Getting the water temp right is why I pour boiling water into a Pyrex measuring cup. I figure 212 degrees poured into a cup might cool it to about 195 - 200 and then it gets poured into the coffee. It's great coffee but it uses a ton of coffee per cup. Still cheaper than Starbucks though.
Yeah, you can turn it upside down to steep without the drip. I use a temperature specific induction plate under my water pot and check it with a laser thermometer....I don't even get close to boiling temp.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
ordered this from Amazon..$22 Cdn ...which is cheaper than the initial 3 day release price.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Upgraded from the original black felt mat on my ProJect RPM-1 turntable. I got tired of the static electricity buildup that caused the felt mat to be stuck to the bottom side of most LP's I played. This works MUCH better, and seems quieter too!

Attachments

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
nice upgrade Ken !
Thanks! Yes, big difference and only marginally less impactful than the only other upgrade I'd done to this entry-level turntable. About 2 months back I had to replace the original Sumiko Pearl cartridge that got trashed by someone (I know who but not divorcing her over it) with an errant dusting cloth.

I haven't made time yet to fabricate a custom dust cover out of acrylic. The one ProJect offers is a LOT bigger than it needs to be and the whole reason I chose that particular TT is it fits in a very tight space next to my center speaker on the AV stand. This cork mat can be dusted off (carefully, by ME) while the felt one retained everything that came near it. Much of that dust and on occasion cat hair would be stuck to the LP bottom side. It was getting so bad I had to dust off LP's not only before I played them, but also before I put them back in the sleeve!

Probably make it a winter project to make the acrylic dust cover.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Ken, years ago when I had a Music Hall TT I used the same mat, albeit a older version of what you have now to great success and yes by all means get a dust cover for your rig !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis