What is the Best Coffee Maker with a Thermal Carafe?

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Swerd gave a nice summary of things that matter and I agree so I won't elaborate. Here is what I think (mostly) doesn't matter although there are caveats.

Grinders: It highly depends upon your method of brewing. If you use the Melita (aka pour over method) into a cone with a filter the grind doesn't matter at all. Burr grinders can get very expensive several hundred dollars, and a blade grinder is cheap 20-30 bucks. What the burr grinder gives you is UNIFORMITY of the grind that a blade won't. If all the grinds are caught by a filter uniformity isn't very important. This included drip coffee machines and units like the Technivorm.

Grind does matter if you use a French press where you want a uniform coarse grind so you don't get too much sediment in you cup. It matter very much for the fancy espresso machines where you make a puck of grinds with a tamper for the water too go through. If the grinds aren't uniform or the puck is not evenly tamped, the water will find the path of least resistance and blow a hole in the puck rather than evenly pass through it. The result will be a poor extraction and a weak cup. I don't find this to be as much of a problem with the stovetop Moka type pots that are much cheaper and more commonly used. I don't have a fancy espresso maker but I am told that the expensive ones do make a better cup once you master the technique. For two grand I need a new receiver more than that.

Filters: Maybe you have a better sense of taste than I do but I can't taste the difference between paper and other fancy filters like gold. So true to from I go with cheap.

To reinforce Swerd's point briefly, I think the most important things are good quality beans freshly roasted 2-3 to 7 days prior, and water fresh off the boil for a good extraction of the oils that have the flavors. Most of the rest is individual preference.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
on the subject of coffee, what's a good burr grinder that you like ? My Shardor while it grinds A-OK the static electricity because of the plastic catcher drives me nuts. Thoughts on this unit ??

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Keep trying. A small commercial roaster will have his own taste target, a style of roast level. It's not unlike a speaker designer's 'voicing' of his designs. They may also make several different blends to appeal to different customers.
Too bad your new coffee maker caused that power failure ;)!

That's why I still have my old manual drip coffee maker. With a hand-powered coffee grinder, a kettle, and a gas stove, I can always have coffee.
Well, I went and bought some coffee beans at a roaster's place. I was so confident that I would get fresh roasted beans, that I didn't ask to see or even taste a few beans. When I opened the bag at home, the beans were dry! When I buy some at Costco, at least they're oily. Fortunately, I had bought only 250 grams of a Brazilian/Colombian mixture. I'm going to call them tomorrow and tell them they've lost a client.

Next time I go to a roaster's place, I won't forget what to ask.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I went and bought some coffee beans at a roaster's place. I was so confident that I would get fresh roasted beans, that I didn't ask to see or even taste a few beans. When I opened the bag at home, the beans were dry! When I buy some at Costco, at least they're oily. Fortunately, I had bought only 250 grams of a Brazilian/Colombian mixture. I'm going to call them tomorrow and tell them they've lost a client.

Next time I go to a roaster's place, I won't forget what to ask.
Before you reject them, brew some of that coffee and taste it. You may not like the price, but at least give them a fair try. You may find those fresh roasted non-oily beans stay fresh tasting long enough to last the entire bag.

I know you like very dark roasted coffee, and that makes them get oily. But coffee beans that are oily on the surface when you buy them, are over-roasted. They quickly go stale and loose all flavor.

Also, the dark roast coffee you've bought at Costco may have been dry when they were first roasted, but with time they also became oily. Oily coffee beans are either over-roasted or have been stored too long. I think I've said that before, but it's worth repeating.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Of course. Don't be silly. I have several different power cords, different cords for African, Central American, or Asian coffees. I also use a dedicated 20 amp power line in the kitchen, with a gold plated hospital grade wall tap.

And yes, even my wife can taste the difference :rolleyes:.
Have you tried Sumatra? It's mellloooooooow.

evelyco

evelyco

Audiophyte
I love coffee makers that have thermal carafes. There's nothing compared to coffee that's hot whenever you want to take a cup. Ever since we got one in our office, work has been wayyy less dreadful. We use the Technivorm Moccamaster, which I heard it's considered the best dual coffee maker with a thermal carafe. It's a simple coffee brewer that doesn't need a lot of fancy options, like a touch screen or an automatic timer. The fact that it has such a durable build and impeccable quality makes up for all of the over-the-top options that can add up in price.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I take a classic approach using a stovetop Italian-made Moka coffee maker. I've tried dozens of machines and other makers and this cheap product still makes excellent coffee aside from an expensive machine from Italy.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
on the subject of coffee, what's a good burr grinder that you like ? My Shardor while it grinds A-OK the static electricity because of the plastic catcher drives me nuts. Thoughts on this unit ??

A late reply for sure, but I have owned 2 of these over the last 10 years, and pretty happy. Very consistent grind with the conical burr from espresso all the way to coarse perc if you want it. Only nag with it is you have to tap the sides a few times for it to drop the rest if the grind caught up in the burr chamber. I have much less static with the glass catch cup than other plastic grinders in the past for sure.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That glass grounds bin in the Bodum grinder might help.

The only way I know to deal with static electricity in the plastic grounds bin is to get a grinder with the bin made of static-resistant plastic. After many years of using a twirly blade grinder, I got a Barzata Virtuoso grinder that came with such a grounds bin. When I bought it in 2014, it wasn't cheap at $200. Now, it costs 25% more! However, it has worked well for years, and that static-resistant plastic does the job.

Barzata does sell a less expensive model, the Encore, for $170. It probably has the same plastic grounds bin.

I occasionally wash out the grounds bin with soapy water. That seems to "renew" the anti-static quality of the bin. Why not try that on your grinder's bin now? It might help, and it can't hurt.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
someone else suggested adding a drop or two of water into the bean bin first, didn't really help. With winter coming and relative humidity dropping it gets worse. I'll try your suggestion but just might just put the Bodum unit on my 'Santa list' ......

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I store my ground coffee in glass containers and it still sticks. It sticks a lot less than plastic though. I have a Cuisinart burr grinder that is compact and has worked well for years, but it also has a plastic catch with the static issue and I just recently cracked that catch while tapping it to get the last little bit out lol. Washing it does keep the static down for a few uses. I think I got the Cuisinart for under $40 on a black Friday deal. I might look into that Bodum as a replacement.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
About those plastic coffee ground bins and static electricity… just a thought. Try treating them with an anti-static spray or cleaner:

https://www.amazon.com/anti-static-spray-plastic/s?k=anti+static+spray+for+plastic

I have no idea how well they work, but look for something that is unscented, and has a neutral pH, and is made for plastic or glass surfaces, not clothing. After a quick glance, a few look to me like they might be worth a try:

Invisible Glass 91014 19-Ounce Clear Plastic Cleaner Protectant and Polish Anti-Fog and Anti-Static for Plastic Surfaces Including Touchscreens, Plastic Shields and Guards, Electronics

Castle Plexo Anti-Static Plastic Glass Cleaner

Obscura Screen Cleaner Spray Kit

Polyshield Anti-Static Dusting Spray (8oz)

Plane Perfect Eyes Outside Plastic and Glass Windshield Cleaner for Aviation, Auto, Motorcycle, and Marine Acrylic Lexan Lucite Plexiglass LCD Cleaner

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know I missed the talk about Zojirushi, I guess I just spaced out after conversion is limited to drip coffee which I long stopped drinking.
Anyhow here's my 2c on Zojirushi - besides they make awesome if not the best in the world thermal bottles and containers, they also make a bit less known but awesome hot water dispensers. It basically boils up the water AND keeps it warm in case of a tea emergency. ;)
So I'm on the second Zojirushi hot water dispenser and the reason for 2nd is since 1st one was getting too small (3 liters, less than 1gal), and secondary the new one looking a bit better in the kitchen. Both working for years - my point is Zojirushi can and DO make water heaters, so making a drip-coffee machine is right up their alley and I'm not a bit surprised that OP enjoys his.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know I missed the talk about Zojirushi, I guess I just spaced out after conversion is limited to drip coffee which I long stopped drinking.
Anyhow here's my 2c on Zojirushi - besides they make awesome if not the best in the world thermal bottles and containers, they also make a bit less known but awesome hot water dispensers. It basically boils up the water AND keeps it warm in case of a tea emergency. ;)
So I'm on the second Zojirushi hot water dispenser and the reason for 2nd is since 1st one was getting too small (3 liters, less than 1gal), and secondary the new one looking a bit better in the kitchen. Both working for years - my point is Zojirushi can and DO make water heaters, so making a drip-coffee machine is right up their alley and I'm not a bit surprised that OP enjoys his.
Zojirushi dispenser less known? There's probably one in every home in Japan :) At the very least there is a hot water dispenser in every one lol, my mother in law has one. I currently use a boil to use electric kettle and am thinking I probably should have just gotten a dispenser. I like less things on the counter though.

Used a French press for years, got tired of the silt. I use a permanent filter pour over now, the Clever Coffee maker, that I got at Sweet Marias. The filters are delicate though and I broke two after a few years with no replacements available. I am on my last filter now and it has been going for about 2 years now. Maybe I will look at a Chemex or similar next. The nice thing about the Clever though is that it allows you to let the coffee sit for 2 minutes before going directly into the cup and it has a dual stage filter, so no silt.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… Maybe I will look at a Chemex or similar next.
The trouble with Chemex paper filters is that their flow rate is very – very – slow. I tried one a very long time ago. After about a week, I chucked it. The paper Melita type filters work much better.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Zojirushi dispenser less known? There's probably one in every home in Japan :) At the very least there is a hot water dispenser in every one lol, my mother in law has one. I currently use a boil to use electric kettle and am thinking I probably should have just gotten a dispenser. I like less things on the counter though.
I consider the Zojirushi hot water dispenser as the essential appliance for any tea drinker, but I shall derail this thread no more :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis