What is the Best Coffee Maker with a Thermal Carafe?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My wife wants a thermal carafe coffee maker, but I am leery of them because I have read about them leaking all over the counter as the coffee is being made. Anyone have a good one to recommend?

Thanks,
The Japanese Zohirushi coffee maker is a reliable one. It is more expensive than the usual one like Mr. Coffee but it makes a better coffee. Amazon sells it:

I have been using one for a couple of years and it performs well and should last a long time. It uses basket type filters.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Reviving an old thread.......

it's been almost two years since I inquired about alternative burr grinders to my plastic catcher Shardor grinder and I continued to put up with it, NO MORE !! static now that winter is here is too much.

Along with the previous recommendations I've kinda come down to these two choices.....

1) OXO - conical (stainless steel catcher) $99

2) bodum - conical (glass catcher) $99

anyone care to add or subtract ?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey Guys!

What is the best
available coffee maker with a thermal carafe nowadays?

I'm using a Canadian brand Oster Coffee maker which is exactly the same product as the Mr. Coffee brand which I believe is sold in the US. I have been using it now foe several years, and I have had a replacement one since last Winter. I recently noticed a strong plastic smell from the water container and I strongly suspect that it contains BPA. I want to discard the product for my health sake and I'm looking for a dependable replacement that makes good tasting coffee. I like dark roasted coffee as is, black without any sweetener.

I have been looking on the web through Google and I got several different recommendations as we usually find when we do such research. Two brands that frequently come out in the several lists of recommendations are ZOJIRUSHI and NINJA. I know that Zojirushi mentions that their water container is free of BPA, but I'm not so sure about the Ninja product. Of course, reliability is also important.

So, would any of you, coffee lovers, have a recommendation for a reliable product that makes good tasting coffee? Your comments would be appreciated.
Your coffee maker is from the Canadian division of Oster which, I assume, exists for the same reason other brands have divisions in other countries- reducing taxes & duties. Oster is owned by Sunbeam, is US-based and originated in Milwaukee.

Still using a Mr Coffee for my Sumatra beans. Not what anyone would call a 'connoiseur', but I really like Sumatra. I have had some from Guatamala, too- that had all sorts of interesting notes.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
OXO - conical (stainless steel catcher) $99
I have one of those and little more expensive Baratza Encore grinder at $145, but both are pretty much neck and neck since I only do drip with my Moccomaster Select both work just fine.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Reviving an old thread.......

it's been almost two years since I inquired about alternative burr grinders to my plastic catcher Shardor grinder and I continued to put up with it, NO MORE !! static now that winter is here is too much.

Along with the previous recommendations I've kinda come down to these two choices.....

1) OXO - conical (stainless steel catcher) $99

2) bodum - conical (glass catcher) $99

anyone care to add or subtract ?
I remember your post about static in the winter.

About 7 years ago, I bought a Barzata Virtuoso, and have used it every day since then. The electric motor and the grinder parts are strong & reliable. Even though I thought its $200 cost was high, I've not regretted buying it because of its reliability. I grind fine for a drip coffee brewer.

I thank @BoredSysAdmin for suggesting it to me. He previously owned a Barzata Encore, and liked it, until he wore it out trying to grind fine enough for espresso. Brewing espresso at home costs much more because you need an expensive high-pressure steam brewer and a much more expensive grinder. I'm glad I haven't acquired that expensive taste.

As far as static goes, the catcher in my grinder is static-resistant plastic. It works fairly well except during the winter. Washing it out with liquid dish washing detergent, every week or two, helps but doesn't eliminate the static.

Barzata has replaced the $200 Virtuoso with the $249 Virtuoso+. Other than a second timer with digital display, it seems the same as the Virtuoso I have. I'm not sure that's worth the higher price.

Barzata Encore, on special for $142.50. Now out of stock, but will be available hopefully soon.

Barzata Virtuoso+, also out of stock now.

And for $100, a Capresso Infinity Plus Grinder. It doesn't mention static resistance in the grind bin.

These items should be available from other vendors at similar prices. I like Sweet Maria's because I buy green coffee from them. They test everything they sell.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
1st-line espresso shop out of Freehold, NJ (20mins driving from me) has a few sub-$100 (used) grinders in stock available for walk-in only. They won't ship these. I assume they were store refurbished, but it should be asked. https://www.1st-line.com/shop/sale/sidewalk-sales/all-grinders/?orderby=price

Swerd is correct. Grinding for espresso takes a slightly different type of grinder where few features, which are nominally optional for drip or french press, become very much required. Conical or flat burrs are a must. Stepless adjustments are highly preferred. Dozers are great, but only in high-volume usages. Otherwise, dozer-less is a must. The amount of coffee per brew is also critical, and eye-balling it isn't ideal. Some grinders have built-in scale, but ones with built-in digital timers are close enough once you dial it in.

Buying an espresso grinder for me was an experience of a cheap person paying twice (or thrice in my case).
In the end, I bought Fiorenzato F4 Nano (I bought it as an open box from Chris Coffee back in 2018 for about $450)
This one still serves me very well, without ANY issues. I had to do a deep cleaning once.

In the end, I see an espresso, or, lately, I've been drinking mainly cappuccinos, which is both my daily morning (tasty) ritual and one I don't want to make too long. My entire process, from getting to the machine to drinking fully ready, takes about 5mins. The espresso machine is pre-warmed by a timer, and I always grind fresh coffee before brewing.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Richard, based on Chris's (CPP) recommendation I just ordered the OXO this morning direct from OXO, 15% off, so $90 delivered, SS catcher. I'll report back after use.

Thanks all for your input !

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Richard, based on Chris's (CPP) recommendation I just ordered the OXO this morning direct from OXO, 15% off, so $90 delivered, SS catcher. I'll report back after use.

Thanks all for your input !
Let me know how this one works out for you static wise. The static on mine is driving me nuts too

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Let me know how this one works out for you static wise. The static on mine is driving me nuts too
All I do, if some grounds are on the side of the aluminum grind holder , is just tap it with my measuring spoon, bingo gone is a second. Not bad for a high quality 40 mm stainless steel conical burr set and like I noted, I only do drip. NO Espresso or Turkish,

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Any comments, love or hate for the Ninja brand of drip coffee makers ?

I'm leaning towards the Ninja 'Dual Brew', CFP201. I can get it @ BJ's for $149 (msrp is $200)

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Any comments, love or hate for the Ninja brand of drip coffee makers ?

I'm leaning towards the Ninja 'Dual Brew', CFP201. I can get it @ BJ's for $149 (msrp is $200)

I actually meant to respond to your first grinder inquiry. I have owned 2 of the Bodum Bistro conical burr grinders over the last 10+ years and like them very much. The glass catch can is really nice for knocking down the static. The adjustability on the grinder is a simple twist to go from french press grind to fine powder grind.The only niggle I have with the grinder is the bean hopper does not drop straight through to the cup in a vertical line. The grind chamber drops the beans through an angled chamber down into the catch cup, so you need to rap the side of the grinder a few times to release grinds caught up in there. Other than that, a super solid choice.

As far as the brewer, I have zero experience with a Ninja coffee maker- the only appliance I own by them is a fantastic toaster oven/air fryer that flips up to save counter space. Love that thing.

My coffee brewer requirements were finding a machine with no plastic reservoir where the water was heated. Not the easiest feat, but I eventually stumbled on the Behmor Brazen that has a large stainless reservoir where the water is heated and then drops straight through the grinds and right into a stainless thermal carafe. The adjustability is awesome- you can set the water temperature, the bloom time where it saturates the grounds for a time and then proceeds to continue with the pour. Basically, its the closest automatic machine that mimics a pour over set up. As a matter of fact, there is also a manual setting where it heats the reservoir to your specified temp, then has a manual release button for you to control the bloom and pour into a Hario V60 and a coffe cup right under the reservoir. Pretty sweet and the best of both worlds for me. I do wish the filter basket was not plastic, but I figured at least my water I consume daily is coming out of a heated stainless reservoir rather than plastic.

Down sides is the carafe doesnt hold coffee hot for hours, so I transfer it to a different insulated carafe on weekends when it isn't consumed quickly.

D

diwit

Audioholic Intern
Hey Guys!

What is the best
available coffee maker with a thermal carafe nowadays?

I'm using a Canadian brand Oster Coffee maker which is exactly the same product as the Mr. Coffee brand which I believe is sold in the US. I have been using it now foe several years, and I have had a replacement one since last Winter. I recently noticed a strong plastic smell from the water container and I strongly suspect that it contains BPA. I want to discard the product for my health sake and I'm looking for a dependable replacement that makes good tasting coffee. I like dark roasted coffee as is, black without any sweetener.

I have been looking on the web through Google and I got several different recommendations as we usually find when we do such research. Two brands that frequently come out in the several lists of recommendations are ZOJIRUSHI and NINJA maca coffee available in pakistan. I know that Zojirushi mentions that their water container is free of BPA, but I'm not so sure about the Ninja product. Of course, reliability is also important.

So, would any of you, coffee lovers, have a recommendation for a reliable product that makes good tasting coffee? Your comments would be appreciated.
If you're looking for a reliable and high-quality coffee maker that produces good-tasting coffee and doesn't contain BPA, there are a few options to consider:

1. Technivorm Moccamaster: This is a high-end drip coffee maker that is handcrafted in the Netherlands. It features a unique brewing system that heats water to the optimal temperature range and brews coffee quickly and consistently. The water container is made of BPA-free plastic.
  2. OXO Brew 9 Cup Coffee Maker: This machine is designed to mimic the pour-over brewing method, which produces a rich and flavorful cup of coffee. It features a rainmaker showerhead that distributes water evenly over the coffee grounds and a removable water tank that is made of BPA-free plastic.
  3. Breville Precision Brewer: This coffee maker offers a variety of brewing options, including pour-over, cold brew, and iced coffee. It also features a PID temperature control system that ensures water temperature is consistent throughout the brewing process. The water tank is made of BPA-free plastic.
  4. Cuisinart PurePrecision Pour-Over Coffee Brewer: This coffee maker uses a pour-over brewing method to create a flavorful cup of coffee. It features a stainless steel and glass design, and the water tank is made of BPA-free plastic.
All of these coffee makers are highly regarded for their quality and performance, and they are designed to brew delicious coffee without the use of BPA-containing materials. Ultimately, the best machine for you will depend on your personal preferences and budget.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
All I do, if some grounds are on the side of the aluminum grind holder , is just tap it with my measuring spoon, bingo gone is a second. Not bad for a high quality 40 mm stainless steel conical burr set and like I noted, I only do drip. NO Espresso or Turkish.
After reading your suggestion last winter, I tried what amounts to the same thing. I used to remove the plastic bin from the grinder & pour the ground coffee into the filter holder right away. Instead, I set the bin down on the counter top, and do something else. In about ½ minute, I poured out the grounds without any static. It was that simple – just let the static discharge.

In the more humid summer, I don't have to wait at all. That plastic Barzata bin is static-free in all seasons, except the dry winter. Thanks for that really simple fix. I'd guess this might work for many different ground coffee bins.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well since this old thread has been revived I'll report back on the performance of both my OXO burr grinder and Ninja coffee maker, both performing flawlessly and I remain completely satisfied. My Sumatra has never tasted better ! :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well since this old thread has been revived I'll report back on the performance of both my OXO burr grinder and Ninja coffee maker, both performing flawlessly and I remain completely satisfied. My Sumatra has never tasted better ! :)
OXO burr grinder, and I think I recommended to ya, we have at the other house, actually works just as good as my Barzata. Since I only do drip as espresso is just to much from my old stomach ( the laxative impact) the grinds for drip look identical using the same beans to my Barzata for a good drip grind #18 ( medium or 8 on the OXO. )

I think the key to any grinder, is keeping the burrs clean.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have the Bodum with a glass catcher, but static is still there.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@j_garcia

Glass has a charged surface. That's what allows it acquire a static charge. You can treat glass with what are called siliconizing agents. Treating glass surfaces with one of these agents neutralizes the charged surface. It repels static electricity and water. Water beads up on the treated glass surface, instead of spreading out as a sheet of water. I used to use it when I worked in the lab. Cells and many biomolecules can stick to glass surfaces, but not if the glass has been siliconized.

The closest things commercially available are products sold by Rain-X or Prestone. They're sold to make windshield glass repel water, fog, or ice. I used it when I lived in Alaska and it made scraping ice off a windshield during the winter very easy, before heating the windshield. I was told that the Air Force used something similar on airplane plexiglass canopies and windows.

I don't know if it would work on your glass coffee ground bin, but it's worth a try. Test it first on some expendable glass item.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
@j_garcia

Glass has a charged surface. That's what allows it acquire a static charge. You can treat glass with what are called siliconizing agents. Treating glass surfaces with one of these agents neutralizes the charged surface. It repels static electricity and water. Water beads up on the treated glass surface, instead of spreading out as a sheet of water. I used to use it when I worked in the lab. Cells and many biomolecules can stick to glass surfaces, but not if the glass has been siliconized.

The closest things commercially available are products sold by Rain-X or Prestone. They're sold to make windshield glass repel water, fog, or ice. I used it when I lived in Alaska and it made scraping ice off a windshield during the winter very easy, before heating the windshield. I was told that the Air Force used something similar on airplane plexiglass canopies and windows.

I don't know if it would work on your glass coffee ground bin, but it's worth a try. Test it first on some expendable glass item.
Not saying it is a problem, the glass is actually much better than a plastic bin. The grind itself creates some of the static and that is transferred into whatever is catching the coffee. Very familiar with Rain-X. If you've ever used it on your cars, you'll feel a bit tingly on your hands, similar to rubbing alcohol. I would think this is something I don't want on my coffee :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis