What Happens When You Start Listening To Vinyl Again

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Quite right! We can buy the best CDs at rock bottom prices (and, if so inclined, do lossless rips to our music servers). We will own our digital music and long-lived physical backups... without having to pay access/subscription fees to "the man".

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's entirely possible but there is literature out in the acoustic sciences community that says when one end of the audible spectrum is boosted, the other end is perceived to be weaker.

Since nobody would argue that CDs are capable of higher frequencies than vinyl, this phenomenon is worth consideration. It also explains why some people feel that vinyl is much better in the mid range (slightly softer lows and much softer highs make the middle seem fuller).

I've been burned enough by remastered CDs enough to give them a wide berth (except for Steve Wilson's stuff, which is excellent). I also try to avoid early AAD CDs -- they were mastered for vinyl and sound poor. Ditto for mid to late 90s rock/pop due to that nut job Phil Spector's wall of sound nonsense.
WRT upper frequency limits for CDs and vinyl- nope. Vinyl doesn't have a limit imposed by a filter or sampling rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_analog_and_digital_recording

The Wall Of Sound wasn't the problem, it was whatever Spector was using at the time. Not a good time for him, personally- it had to influence his work.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
WRT upper frequency limits for CDs and vinyl- nope. Vinyl doesn't have a limit imposed by a filter or sampling rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_analog_and_digital_recording

The Wall Of Sound wasn't the problem, it was whatever Spector was using at the time. Not a good time for him, personally- it had to influence his work.
Vinyl does have a a number of imposed rates, though sampling isn't one of them. Some rate limitations are determined by physics, others are the result of recording industry practices and lathe cutting techniques.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/229076/can-vinyl-lps-store-audio-above-20khz-and-can-it-be-played-back/229095#229095

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cut-and-thrust-riaa-lp-equalization-page-2

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Blame streaming... a huge number of people are ditching their physical format music, players, and buying a Sonos or HomePod. This is putting a lot of physical format music back into circulation, at incredibly low prices. :p
I'm not complaining either :p

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I was in the shed and found my old Hitachi direct drive. I thought it was long gone. It was under a heap of LPs in a cardboard box, which has been buried well under convenient reach. A leak in the washing machine caused me to take all of the old boxes out. Still didn't think much of it because I have felt that CDs have been the most profound improvement to audio since, and I still buy them regularly. This was not the last turn table I was using when I ditched vinyl.

I have a friend who has my old Adcom gear powering his vinyl setup. He paid to have it serviced and upgraded so he can use it forever, AFAIAC. When I mentioned to him I found my old turntable, he claimed that's pretty much the same one he is currently using, and after auditioning a much higher priced, newer version, he determined that the cartridge was the real difference, and after upgrading that on his old TT, could not hear a difference worth the price and sent the new one back.

I quit using the Hitachi because it was silver and the rest of my then new gear, was black, and the Hitachi did not fit the cabinet. Anyway, I cleaned it up and it powers on and turns on both speeds and seems pretty darned smooth with no, audible mechanical noises, at least. I'll make room for it later this week or next weekend perhaps and see how it goes. It's clean as a whistle and my buddy says he'll give me a C-note for it if I don't want it, or will let me try a couple different cartridges for it if I do.

Surely cleaning LPs has come a long way since the 80s, I am hoping.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Surely cleaning LPs has come a long way since the 80s, I am hoping.
Not really. Some of the cleaning machines I think are pretty much the same but with some new guys on the block. There's been talk of ultrasonic cleaners tho I don't think it's but diy at this point but haven't followed. I used a SpinClean when I went thru mine the last few years; I've used both their stock fluid and some Tergitol. Not the best but I'm not shelling out for a better machine at this point (altho some simple ones can be had for $500ish, but the really good ones I think are still a couple grand each). You could try the ol' wood glue method !

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Not really. Some of the cleaning machines I think are pretty much the same but with some new guys on the block. There's been talk of ultrasonic cleaners tho I don't think it's but diy at this point but haven't followed. I used a SpinClean when I went thru mine the last few years; I've used both their stock fluid and some Tergitol. Not the best but I'm not shelling out for a better machine at this point (altho some simple ones can be had for $500ish, but the really good ones I think are still a couple grand each). You could try the ol' wood glue method !
Is starting to remind me why I ditched vinyl for CDs. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I still have the vinyl, dragged it around this long don't see any reason to ditch it as long as I've got the room for it (keep a tt in my main system, but not all the records nearby). Don't have all the vinyl recordings in digital form either. It's kinda nice to have a nostalgia visit now and then, too.

Is starting to remind me why I ditched vinyl for CDs. :D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I still have the vinyl, dragged it around this long don't see any reason to ditch it as long as I've got the room for it (keep a tt in my main system, but not all the records nearby). Don't have all the vinyl recordings in digital form either. It's kinda nice to have a nostalgia visit now and then, too.
Is why I figured to give it a try again, since I already have it. I sure did get a lot of enjoyment from it in the past. I am missing about 3 boxes of LPs though. The few albums I looked at looked pretty clean. I used to be somewhat fanatical about it back then.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is why I figured to give it a try again, since I already have it. I sure did get a lot of enjoyment from it in the past. I am missing about 3 boxes of LPs though. The few albums I looked at looked pretty clean. I used to be somewhat fanatical about it back then.
They shouldn't get too dirty unless (horrors) you placed the opening on the inner sleeve facing out in the opening....or (further horror) didn't have the inner sleeve at all. Part of what I did when I went thru a big cleaning effort when I got the spinclean was to replace any paper ones with nice Mofi sleeves. Kept the good paper inner sleeves due all the interesting art and notes and offers for anthology albums etc. I got some nice size storage boxes for LPs the last time I moved, the ones I don't keep upstairs stay in those boxes in the basement. Still gotta take some care of what took care of me for many years I guess :)

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I don't have a CD player. I haven't had one in years and I don't want one. Regardless, 99% of my listening is done via digital source files. Any CDs I own or come across I copy with EAC. I use Roon to access the Lossless FLAC files either stored on my HD or streamed from Tidal. My current DAC is amazing, probably the best sound I've ever achieved from digital files. I control everything remotely via iPad or other device. I never derived joy or a connection from the physical aspect of a CD so I don't miss having to switch them in and out of a transport.

I do have a turntable that is an excellent performer mounted with a nice Stereohedron Stylus (Shibata type- WOW!) going into an impressive phono stage and I do enjoy it very much. The physical involvement of vinyl playback is part of the experience. Tweaking to get everything right, stevenson, baerwald, loefgren cart alignment, azimuth, VTA, scales, tracking force, cart output, compliance, arm mass etc., etc. When all is said and done I often watch the record spin as the diamond is dragged through the grooves and am still amazed how good vinyl can sound. It's definitely not easy to extract all the information in those groves but when you do it can be quite satisfying.

Digital & Vinyl coexist here. It's fun to change it up once in a while.

Last edited:
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I use digital in much the same way... In my case, buy CDs, rip to lossless to a music server (MacBook Pro which has had its software reduced to only that which allows it to operate as a music server, decode by DAC, and control on an iPad.

The CD then goes into storage. So I own my music, can stream it anywhere, and enjoy very good fidelity.

No turntable though... turned my back on that tech many years ago.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
There's time for all of it. I own CD's, vinyl, digital and grew up with a piano in the house. Would do tape as well if I felt like it. Reel-to-reel takes some physical/mental involvement as well, but I don't have the room.

Some of the art on /in CDs is pretty cool too. Some have 3d/holographic art that is pretty interesting to look at.

This one is a hard paper cover, with recording info, mic placement etc. Incredible recording and artist. CD is in a protective sleeve within the cover.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
there's currently two ultrasonic cleaners on the market that I know of and third being brought to market now. pricey, around 4k I believe.

My tried and true VPI 16.5 gets the job done, albeit a bit noisy

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Dr. Watts Dust Bug

I went through a few different brushes at first but settled on that contraption after TLS recommended it. It works fine. That's a good price too.
I'm gonna have to get one of those. Currently using some sort of Audioquest record brush which works ok on my Rega. Btw Roy Gandy founder of Rega recommends no LP cleaning the cart will push the dust out of the way. To each his own.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I remember resorting to a solution of dawn dish det and plenty of running water. The worst part about vinyl being. . . .everyone else in the house, other than me touching it. People just do NOT get it. I figured for sure, that there would be some cheap and effective China gadget by now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember resorting to a solution of dawn dish det and plenty of running water. The worst part about vinyl being. . . .everyone else in the house, other than me touching it. People just do NOT get it. I figured for sure, that there would be some cheap and effective China gadget by now.
LOL I feel ya to an extent. Digital does have advantages over family as well as roommates. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That Dust Bug is about the easiest cleaning system I've used so far. At the beginning of acquiring a record collection, some LP's were a little grungy and maybe needed more of my participation in dusting and wiping but by now I've been through most of it once or twice; cleaning, listening and culling. Now they're all in decent shape and the Dust Bug goes on before the needle. The End.

After playing a record I 'like' brushing the Dust Bug bristles off on a black T-shirt to see how much dust was picked up off the record. Eventually I gave my other brushes away.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis