What are you watching tonight?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
How does it look? I'm thinking pretty great, as the Blu-ray is loaded with rich color and detail...
Much better than reg-blu-ray the blacks better in the dark scenes lot more back ground detail. Some say HDR 10 and 10+ is dead, one AH member said that on a thread. With the GOT season 8 ES:3 it's a huge difference in 4K blu-ray. I get 4K blu-ray disc with the movies I like the most when ever possible. The thing about 4K blu-ray disc in order to get the full use, 4K blu-ray didc is it. I have netflix they do have some 4K streaming
I don't use a PC to store music or movies.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Much better than reg-blu-ray the blacks better in the dark scenes lot more back ground detail. Some say HDR 10 and 10+ is dead, one AH member said that on a thread. With the GOT season 8 ES:3 it's a huge difference in 4K blu-ray. I get 4K blu-ray disc with the movies I like the most when ever possible. The thing about 4K blu-ray disc in order to get the full use, 4K blu-ray didc is it. I have netflix they do have some 4K streaming
I don't use a PC to store music or movies.
Oh, I will only buy the 4K Blu-ray version for new acquisitions, too, but I already own Clash of the Titans on regular Blu, and saw no reason to upgrade being that I don't watch it that much anymore.

The 4K has HDR10+? That's cool; my Samsung display supports the format (it doesn't support Dolby Vision), and I only have one title with this HDR grading, The Shining.

About the black levels: Unfortunately, I am running an edge-lit LCD panel, and this causes horrible flashlighting, bleed and blooming in letterbox bars of scope films, made even worse by HDR content because it pushes the contrast and backlight to max. So those great black levels of the Clash of the Titans 4K disc would probably be lost on me...:(

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, I will only buy the 4K Blu-ray version for new acquisitions, too, but I already own Clash of the Titans on regular Blu, and saw no reason to upgrade being that I don't watch it that much anymore.

The 4K has HDR10+? That's cool; my Samsung display supports the format (it doesn't support Dolby Vision), and I only have one title with this HDR grading, The Shining.

About the black levels: Unfortunately, I am running an edge-lit LCD panel, and this causes horrible flashlighting, bleed and blooming in letterbox bars of scope films, made even worse by HDR content because it pushes the contrast and backlight to max. So those great black levels of the Clash of the Titans 4K disc would probably be lost on me...:(
How long you been having your 4K TV?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Have it on 4K blu-ray
Money,

In going back and looking at your post and then doing some Googling to find reviews on this title, I don't see where Clash of the Titans -- the remake from 2010 -- was ever released in 4K Blu-ray. Are you sure we're talking about the same film?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Money,

In going back and looking at your post and then doing some Googling to find reviews on this title, I don't see where Clash of the Titans -- the remake from 2010 -- was ever released in 4K Blu-ray. Are you sure we're talking about the same film?
Your right, it not in 4K I was thinking of Blade Runner 2049 for some reason, which is the one I have in 4K.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Couple of years; I think we got it back in 2018...

It's a Samsung NU8000.
Like your Samsung 4K tv, I have a Vizio 4K it's Full array backlit, but only 12 zone's. I hadn't noticed this before but anything under 720, blacks in very dark scenes look horrible! like washed out! Now when in full color 4K UHD disc it's really good, I just happened to notice this recently. After researching this Vizio 4K V it seems thats a issue with this unit. It a cheap 4K so for that reason alone is why in two weeks I'll be upgrading to 65". Don't believe I'll go OLED even the 65" are 2k or more. But it will Definitely have to have more zone's and nits. I'm looking at Vizio M or P series or Sony's 2020 models.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Like your Samsung 4K tv, I have a Vizio 4K it's Full array backlit, but only 12 zone's. I hadn't noticed this before but anything under 720, blacks in very dark scenes look horrible! like washed out! Now when in full color 4K UHD disc it's really good, I just happened to notice this recently. After researching this Vizio 4K V it seems thats a issue with this unit. It a cheap 4K so for that reason alone is why in two weeks I'll be upgrading to 65". Don't believe I'll go OLED even the 65" are 2k or more. But it will Definitely have to have more zone's and nits. I'm looking at Vizio M or P series or Sony's 2020 models.
Indeed, the better FALD displays -- or, ideally, an OLED -- is what you want if deep, dark blacks are important in a dark room for film watching (my conditions on a daily basis). Unfortunately, we were working with a budget, and the NU 8 Series was the best we could afford at the time, but this line was just under the entry level QLEDs.

HDR is horrible on my set in terms of black levels/letterbox bars because the backlighting needs to be kept all the way up to take full advantage of the dynamic range. This makes the letterbox bars in scope films bleed, light up and go gray to the point it's really off-putting.

There's no denying the extra punch and color intensity with the HDR grading, though, even on affordable sets like ours.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
PGA golf - The US Open (my favorite tournament) at Wingfoot (one of my favorite courses). 4 days of (hopefully) great golf.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@panteragstk definitely on the short list. So far I'm on the 5th. Was watching tonight a bit old Top Gear (S8) as nostalgia - and wrapped by absolutely brilliant BBC's "Strike" S4
Holliday Grainer is amazing. Lots of other great actors and excellent story. 8/10 in my book

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis