What are you watching tonight?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
CON AIR (1996) THX laserdisc
Dolby Digital AC-3 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73

1080p upscale.

Two showings tonight.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Is its bird? Is it a plane?

Someone is about to drop on in. :D

^During this part of the chapter the airplane background sound effect sounds very much like the Death Star sound effect from STAR WARS episode IV (1977)

Also a sound effect used in The Dream Is Alive (1985)

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
GRAVITY (2013)
dtsHDMA 5.1 - PLIIx with diy overhead/below surround ON / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers

(Ed Harris) as mission control voice panned to rear back right back surround with PLIIx switched/on and voice eventually drifts pans over to rear back left surround.

(George Clooney) as Matt Kowalski, voice centre stage during the position on screen at the time.

(Sandra Bullock) as Ryan Stone, her voice heard off screen behind the screen on stage left.

(Ed Harris) as mission control, voice now moves behind rear left back surround. With a few more dialog passages from (George Clooney) as Matt Kowalski, has grab holds of Hubble telescope.

Dialog positions between (Sandra Bullock) stage left and (George Clooney) stage right, with a half centre of their voices in the centre channel but cues to the voices are to left/right.

(Phaldut Sharma) as Shariff is on rear right back surround and gradually pans over to left rear back surround or back to front channels as the camera turns around which is our POV the whole sound is constantly spinning around, which is why like it, as it is so uncommon to pan dialog at this extreme level on all the directional full range channels with clear transparency from JBL control 12SR to JBL 8330.

I doubt they'll be any film before end of December 2015 that have a film with dialog pans that will get my attention or even before the end of this decade. GRAVITY is thee sound benchmark for dialog panning.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
GRAVITY (2013) Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / with diy overhead-below surround expansion / JBL professional x73 speakers

GRAVITY diamond Luxe Edition, splashdown arrived this morning.

I liked the dtsHDMA 5.1 with PLIIx and with what it was doing with surrounds voices, sound effects, music and tones of dialog panning.

Wow the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 is a different kettle of fish. The surrounds are way, way more open all around. Some of the dialog pans still pan right though stage channels to sidewall surround arrays and across the back surrounds like with PLIIx, only the discreeter 4 zone surrounds have a greater spaciness.

No Dolby TrueHD drop-outs detected, film played fine.

Music is used on all directional and the added bonus of watching the film without music/score WOW even if its Dolby Digital 5.1 with PLIIx added on, the sound effects and dialog pans stand out clearer without the competition of music/score even thou the score is wonderful sounding to the film. I can hear the ending with Ryan Stone, laughing and her footsteps as she walks away and then.... SILENCE! As the film fades to black.

Picture is still stunning in 2D crisp sharp and smooth with lots of details

Extras not got around to watching on this edition but I think are the same as the first pressing release early around last year, still might as well check them out later on, as the visual style of the film is incredible how all the scenes was prepared with painstaking craft to make audience believe the actors are floating around in space.

I still reckon that no film will have a film mix before end of this decade that will equal GRAVITY, as its the best use of committing dialog panning to all channels, that I have listened to in decades.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
My Science Project (1985) Dolby Stereo DVD region 1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound / JBL professional x73

Cult sci-fi My Science Project, Michael and Ellie, go looking around a military air force junkyard for an engine for the school science project and stumbles onto something bigger than want he wanted, "the gizmo".

"Its, its even bigger than the solar system".

A classic film playing in the film The Time Machine (1960) and some STAR WARS costumes and STAR TREK references.

Like to see a new transfer master with 35mm grain structure on bluray (no DNR or EE) and with 5.1 discrete and some extras.

"Hey chill out, Mr. Spock"

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Lost Girl S2 lost track of the episodes but watched two of them. Geeze, two back to episodes that I could NOT stop watching...something with the "Garuda"

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Legally Blonde 2. Yeah, I said it. Netflix finally added Legally Blonde, which I like better, but I've watched that enough times.

Well, for today. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Ocean's Eleven (2001) HD-DVD (collection and 1 DVD)
Dolby Stereo Digital Plus 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73

Saw Ocean's Eleven, at the ABC 1, February 2002 in SR-D.

Not the best use of LCRS the surrounds are rather laid back while LCR dominates the front. LFE.1 is not the greatest ether as its hardly used and when it is used its not worthy of waterfall.

Dialog remains clear with bassy warm voices with clear top end.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
STARDUST (2007) HD-DVD
Dolby Stereo Digital Plus (with PLIIx) / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73

The end credits is cool with Offenbach, "can, can", with a kick, kick of bass.

HD1080p looks every bit star bright shinny.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Sahara (2005) HD-DVD
Dolby Stereo Digital Plus (PLIIx) / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73

HD1080p is crisp with grains of desert sand.

Sound effects are cool. Dialog remains clear centre channel, why can't they pan dialog around it would have been a bit more fun.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Watched Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D B+ Really nice depth. Very little in your face pop out. It gets a little boring in ther middle, but picks up. The scenery was really stunning. I wished it was full screen and not widescreen, but overall I recommend it if you can get it for a good price.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Ocean's Eleven, one remake I liked better than the original.

I just got the Twin Peaks bluray set and started my binge last night.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Sky Captain and the world of Tomorrow (2004) Dolby 5.1 -PLIIx / Lucafilm Ltd THX Sound System

Someone mentioned this early in the week and got it. I forgot it had giant Transformer like cybertones in it. :D

I skipped though it as I really couldn't get into it or got out the wrong side of bed? :confused: :D I haven't watched it 13.5 years so next watching will be? Who knows when...?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Watched today The Darkest Hour 3D, which was ok for the price 5 bucks sale.
Cheesy effects. 3D effects was very little, but decent. C+

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Into The Storm ..it sucked, glad I didn't buy this one. :)
I actually thought it was decent and very good surround. Ok not as good as A Perfect Storm. I saw it on HBO though. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I actually thought it was decent and very good surround. Ok not as good as A Perfect Storm. I saw it on HBO though. :)
Point taken. I thought the audio was very good and the CFO wasn't bad either. It's the story I didn't like. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Watched "Wild Card" last night. Pretty standard Statham movie. Worth a rent for some mindless violence.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Afternoon film.
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers.

The heroic Normandy beach landings with combined forces of many counties joining together in another campaigning to ending world war II.

Chapter 2

Has a barrage hail of bullets flying around in way too many directions to even list one channel one by one. Mortars are head flying around and overhead landing in the water or sand incredible impact.

Occasional dialog panning is heard left to right or half panned between centre-left centre-right.

If only the dialog was panned all around like GRAVITY as there are men scattered all around the beach and in real life you'd be hearing voices behind to the sides everywhere.

There is one important sound or element not present in the mix and that is the Higgins boats. I know what it feels like being on a boat and that waving low of lows rocking motion isn't here in the mix. When your heading towards waves and bow hits the wave its one heck of a low of KICK!!

Sergent Horvath, voice panned off screen to right and when he's visible is panned to centre.

There is a sound effect panning across the stereo surrounds at 0h:10m:18s-20s from right surrounds to left surrounds, sounds like it doesn't belong there as it sounds like a jet fighter, and jet fighters wasn't used around that time.

Its easy to listen to with LCR channels muted.

And I doubt very much its a V-2 rocket flying overhead and its not a mortar which is a different sound to all the mortar impacts at the first few seconds of beach landings. or maybe its modern day missile which wasn't around at the time.

I'm even picturing an imaginary 9 screen basic channels in front of my vision and 9 is basic.

Some scenes should have Foley footsteps at below LCR panning around or boots rubbing against the ground.

A body weight of low end could be mixed in between below and middle common LCR with dialog panned to individually discrete 100% or with a small blend of half-pan floating between each channel.

Well maybe the body weight would be too much as it will defy laws of sound with a "camera as our POV" if its POV of the character then we should be feeling low of the body as if anyone ever cares to listen or feel or maybe most don't think that far? What I mean is when we see it though the eye of the character, we should be feeling foot pounds of weight when walking around. Body punches should be felt! When we see Indiana Jones being punched in Raiders at distance of many feet away. LOL so unrealistic and unnatural. It sounds like being punched with a cannon and if that is the case, the end credits will be playing as Indy is TOAST! And we can all go home early.

Its impossible to feel human body weight on solid ground walking around unless they wearing size 50" shoes with 1/2 ton of weight of foot-pounds.

The upper stage channels and can be used for dialog and other sound effects it all depends on the angle of the camera and what is in the picture and below and above the picture.

atmos just doesn't come anywhere near or close to being perfect best in 20 years. Its a real shame we'll have to wait few more years for a mkII atmos with below surround and another few years for 9 screen or even 15 screen stage channels as most of the drama unfolds on the screen.

Its too bad no way of making LCR sound upper and below with PLIIx/z as what is point with IIz wide-height? That has all been easily done with extra Le Re with duel matrix decoders wired to LCR to create a 5 screen matrix that is cheap to do and is very affective. But it has nowhere to go above or below.

If Agent Fox Mulder, is weeing against and ID-4 poster on a wall, the "wee, wee" sounds on below not 6 feet up in the air on HF horns. I can easily simulate the Fox Mulder weeing on my floor and make anyone "Believe" but would prefer 9 screen discrete.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
BBC Earth Series on Netflix...Giants of the Sea....wonderful cinematography and a decent sound track.

Did a blurb on Sperm whales .. they hyperventilate and store oxygen in their muscles for 15 minutes before diving down to depths greater than a kilometer where they hunt for their food. They can stay submerged 45 minutes at that depth while hunting. Their echo location is the loudest of any animal on the planet. Divers who were sonar clicked by a sperm whale drew the analogy of getting kicked in the chest by a horse.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
BBC Earth Series on Netflix...Giants of the Sea....wonderful cinematography and a decent sound track.

Did a blurb on Sperm whales .. they hyperventilate and store oxygen in their muscles for 15 minutes before diving down to depths greater than a kilometer where they hunt for their food. They can stay submerged 45 minutes at that depth while hunting. Their echo location is the loudest of any animal on the planet. Divers who were sonar clicked by a sperm whale drew the analogy of getting kicked in the chest by a horse.
Wow 45 mins. Any human tried that without a tank, and gear would be messed up. I think dead. 45mins at depth and pressure.

Got appreciate gods wondrous nature of gifts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis