What are my rights here in Ontario canada ?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As I said before, a well designed amp, especially an expensive one, should be able to protect itself from damge by even a real short cct. It's not hard to do, a good overcurrent and/or current limiting system can react fast enough to protect the power transistors and power supply. So I agree, most likely something went wrong with the amp, or the design may be "junk" as you called it, though I hope that's not the case.
I agree with you, Peng.

A well designed amp should be able to protect itself from damage by even a real short circuit.

That's part of what I like in pro audio amps. Many of the pro amps have full protection features. However, they cost a lot less than some of the expensive audiophile gear which doesn't by the way always perform any better.

M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
As an update

Push came to shove today and im stuck with the original dealer and his offer , unless i wish to go without music , for maybe months while i consider other avenues

He will take my 5k damaged amp in ( repaired at 600.00 which he says hes swallowing) and charge me an extra 3500.00 for trading in for H 360

He says hes doing me such a big favour , and the original 5k amp is now used and he cant get as much for it

Im at a lost here , im exhausted after over an hour on the phone with him , even cursing at me , if not directly explaining how hes doing me such a favour , and ranting when i suggested the 5k amp may be a lemon (He has financial ties to this damaged amp company)

Im so exhausted i need to get out and deflate a bit

My immediate question is when i get this Hegel 360 from him , if i have issues with the Hegel , do i ever have to deal with him again . Do i have to contact dealer as any understood etiquette ?

Can i deal directly with Hegel instead ?

Im done with this guy

And i promise his name - company once im satisfied here

Cheers

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
He will take my 5k damaged amp in ( repaired at 600.00 which he says hes swallowing) and charge me an extra 3500.00 for trading in for H 360
Without knowing what that amp is, it is not possible for anyone to give you an objective opinion. If it is something like an Anthem, Bryston, Parasound JC, McIntosh kind of amp, then it is better to pay the $600 and then sell the amp for $3000 or more.

He says hes doing me such a big favour , and the original 5k amp is now used and he cant get as much for it
That may be true, but again, not knowing what that amp is, we can't, and shouldn't even speculate.

My immediate question is when i get this Hegel 360 from him , if i have issues with the Hegel , do i ever have to deal with him again . Do i have to contact dealer as any understood etiquette ?

Can i deal directly with Hegel instead ?

Im done with this guy
If you are done with him, then why even consider buying yet another expensive H360 from him? I don't think you can deal with Hegel directly, but there are several authorized dealers in Ontario.

I also have hard time understanding the logic to go with a Hegel integrated amp. If you believe in expensive amps, why not just go with something like a H20 or H30. Separate DAC are not expensive and, in my opinion, are better solution (higher quality, more flexible) than one that is build in with an integrated amp.

M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
Without knowing what that amp is, it is not possible for anyone to give you an objective opinion. If it is something like an Anthem, Bryston, Parasound JC, McIntosh kind of amp, then it is better to pay the $600 and then sell the amp for $3000 or more.

That may be true, but again, not knowing what that amp is, we can't, and shouldn't even speculate.

If you are done with him, then why even consider buying yet another expensive H360 from him? I don't think you can deal with Hegel directly, but there are several authorized dealers in Ontario.

I also have hard time understanding the logic to go with a Hegel integrated amp. If you believe in expensive amps, why not just go with something like a H20 or H30. Separate DAC are not expensive and, in my opinion, are better solution (higher quality, more flexible) than one that is build in with an integrated amp.

Thank you

My point is , no matter what amp it is , i was sold an amp that popped 2xs in a very short time , while still under warranty

Speakers were blamed , speakers checked out fine tho

So now its admitted that neither the manufacturer-tech builder , dealer or myself know what the problem is , so the blame defaults to the customer 100%

We cant even split the cost , the fault is 100% the customer when no one knows how it happened

And yes i faced grief out my hole when i asked for an itemized bill for repairs

That is certainly a terrible business model

Certainly not a business mode the likes of like Codell audio practices , My Kind of Music or Professional Sound

They all have fixed or returnned items in warranty when the product was clearly abused by the customer

Erring in favour , when its not known where fault lies , of the customer is what keeps a customer coming back

"If you are done with him, then why even consider buying yet another expensive H360 from him?"

Its either that or take back a lemon i have no confidence in and pay a 600.00 repair bill (I was in correct earlier when i said it was 700.00) .

"I also have hard time understanding the logic to go with a Hegel integrated amp."

it s simple , funds . And i dont have enough funds to afford those fine items

Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what does "popped 2x" mean? You sure you don't have electrical conditions in your home that could have contributed (lightning/power surges sort of thing)? Boutique amps come with boutique dealers....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you

My point is , no matter what amp it is , i was sold an amp that popped 2xs in a very short time , while still under warranty

Speakers were blamed , speakers checked out fine tho

So now its admitted that neither the manufacturer-tech builder , dealer or myself know what the problem is , so the blame defaults to the customer 100%

We cant even split the cost , the fault is 100% the customer when no one knows how it happened

And yes i faced grief out my hole when i asked for an itemized bill for repairs

That is certainly a terrible business model

Certainly not a business mode the likes of like Codell audio practices , My Kind of Music or Professional Sound

They all have fixed or returnned items in warranty when the product was clearly abused by the customer

Erring in favour , when its not known where fault lies , of the customer is what keeps a customer coming back

"If you are done with him, then why even consider buying yet another expensive H360 from him?"

Its either that or take back a lemon i have no confidence in and pay a 600.00 repair bill (I was in correct earlier when i said it was 700.00) .

"I also have hard time understanding the logic to go with a Hegel integrated amp."

it s simple , funds . And i dont have enough funds to afford those fine items

Thank you
Like I said before, if he won't give you an itemized invoice, then he is scamming you!

You need to figure out the best way to cut your losses and not give this guy any more $.

If you give him another dime, you are rewarding his behavior.

M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
Just what does "popped 2x" mean? You sure you don't have electrical conditions in your home that could have contributed (lightning/power surges sort of thing)? Boutique amps come with boutique dealers....
A dead short i am told

M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
Is boutique a bad thing/term ?

I used that today in my conversation with him , i had no idea it may be a negative term

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is boutique a bad thing/term ?

I used that today in my conversation with him , i had no idea it may be a negative term
Sounds like it in your case. I used to deal with several types of boutique businesses in my business life; most I wouldn't buy anything from as they were selling average product for high end prices, with a lot of unctuous sales/service in between (but no audio boutique shop experience in that sense).

Why the esoteric gear at all? It's very pretty or something? I noticed that uber expensive dac you have for sale and wonder just what you tend to buy.

What is the attraction to the designed in Norway and made in China amp for thousands of dollars?

Last edited:
M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
Sounds like it in your case. I used to deal with several types of boutique businesses in my business life; most I wouldn't buy anything from as they were selling average product for high end prices, with a lot of unctuous sales/service in between. Why the esoteric gear at all? It's very pretty or something? I noticed that uber expensive dac you have for sale and wonder just what you tend to buy.

What is the attraction to the designed in Norway and made in China amp for thousands of dollars?
So the term boutique is a slag ?

"What is the attraction to the designed in Norway and made in China amp for thousands of dollars?"

I had no idea they were made in China

Is that a negative concern for this ?

I know a few good DAPs for ie are made in china

My DAP is the 1st cayin N6 , ive had it since its release , maybe 4 years ago

Plays everything i toss its way , even sacd isos w/out downsampling

Well constructed , sounds very nice , and the customer service is exceptional . Even this amount of years later when warranty has expired

I have heard the Hegels , and paired with Dyns like mine they sound exceptional

I ve never heard any harsh reports on Hegel either

If you do tho , i would like to hear your opinions

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's a slag? In my limited slang speech from our Brit friends, that's along the lines of a slut. So yes, maybe. :)

Just saying that just because it's a boutique brand doesn't mean it's particularly special. It may be spec'd and built well, maybe one of those Norwegian guys stands there at the factory making sure its perfect. Doubt it, tho. In any case, much of the electronics are made in China and elsewhere in Asia, but when a company marks their product with a vague and misleading reference to "Hegel Oslo Norway" my alert bells go off.

I'd think your speakers would sound exceptional with quite a few amps, they're good speakers. I've heard nice things about Hegel, too but to my mind they're simply too expensive for what you get.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you for explaining, but I still don't quite get your point because it does matter what make that amp is. For example, if it is a Bryston or Parasound, then I guarantee you can contact the manufacturer and get some satisfaction. By the same token, I suppose I can safely assume that the $5000 amp is not a Bryston, Paraound, McIntosh, Anthem, Krell etc. Still, is contacting the manufacturer directly not an option, or you have tried that already?

Last edited:
M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
What's a slag? In my limited slang speech from our Brit friends, that's along the lines of a slut. So yes, maybe. :)

Just saying that just because it's a boutique brand doesn't mean it's particularly special. It may be spec'd and built well, maybe one of those Norwegian guys stands there at the factory making sure its perfect. Doubt it, tho. In any case, much of the electronics are made in China and elsewhere in Asia, but when a company marks their product with a vague and misleading reference to "Hegel Oslo Norway" my alert bells go off.

Thanks mate

Yes a slag can be a slut or an insult

I was practically raised/gradfathered by a amazing British WW2 vet

Him and I in 1970s watching the BBC

Man memories of us havin a larf over Dave Allen @ large..and so many more

He taught me the wonder of the BBC and all things British(Not to mention being a man of honour . He was a ww2 vet took 13 pieces of nazi lead for the best cause ever)

Hes gone now , but he very much lives on in my mind and heart

So whenever a term like slag or porkie pie or suss comes out of me , i seem to forget not every Canadian or North American understands this stuff

Sorry to go so far off target

Thank you for your efforts and time mate

And to everyone here

I'd think your speakers would sound exceptional with quite a few amps, they're good speakers. I've heard nice things about Hegel, too but to my mind they're simply too expensive for what you get.

M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for explaining, but I still don't quite get your point because it does matter what make that amp is. For example, if it is a Bryston or Parasound, then I guarantee you can contact the manufacturer and get some satisfaction. By the same token, I suppose I can safely assume that the $5000 amp is not a Bryston, Paraound, McIntosh, Anthem, Krell etc. Still, is contact the manufacturer directly not an option, or you have tried that already?
"can safely assume "

You have assumed absolutely correct

The manufacturer and dealer are connected via a decades or so friendship and in business

I assume thats why he did nt go to bat for a customer like so many other dealers have for me

When i mentioned the possibility i was sold a lemon , i was met with some form of agression

The conversation was not a good one

Once i figured this cant end well i left that type of talk alone and focused on how can i get a new amp and get rid of old one

I need music no

It may be a month now im w/out an amp...and a tv or boom box

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
"can safely assume "

You have assumed absolutely correct

The manufacturer and dealer are connected via a decades or so friendship and in business

I assume thats why he did nt go to bat for a customer like so many other dealers have for me

When i mentioned the possibility i was sold a lemon , i was met with some form of agression

The conversation was not a good one

Once i figured this cant end well i left that type of talk alone and focused on how can i get a new amp and get rid of old one

I need music no

It may be a month now im w/out an amp...and a tv or boom box
If he repaired your amp without your prior consent, and now wouldn't give you back the amp unless you paid him the $700 he's asking, then he is in the wrong. I think we can all agree on that, so it boils down to whether you take him to court or give him what he want, or let him keep the amp. Without the missing info, I have no idea what the best option is.

Hegel makes good amps but to me they are overpriced here in Ontario. Your speakers should do very well with high power pro amps, for well under $1,000.

M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
If he repaired your amp without your prior consent, and now wouldn't give you back the amp unless you paid him the $700 he's asking, then he is in the wrong. I think we can all agree on that, so it boils down to whether you take him to court or give him what he want, or let him keep the amp. Without the missing info, I have no idea what the best option is.

Hegel makes good amps but to me they are overpriced here in Ontario. Your speakers should do very well with high power pro amps, for well under $1,000.
Thanks mate

M

Muzique Junkie

Junior Audioholic
Yes , there was no consent

And to be honest after all this drama , i ve seen thru him and am certain that amp is a lemon

Its a costly lesson tho

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Not only did he "do a $700 repair without consent", but now he won't even provide an itemized invoice!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis