highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My parents have a Tappan Range from ~57 that still works. Like everything, to this very day. I don't want to even think about having to move it. Lighting the oven is a bit dicey if you catch my draft.
My parents bought a fridge the week I was born, in 1957. Guess what was still working well when we sold the house in 2003, after they had passed.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
At my parents' summer cottage, we had a 1936 GE fridge which had been working flawlessly, as well as a GE 1958 fridge.

When there was a Hydro Quebec dam incident, we had a flood, about 2 feet of water. You wouldn't guess but the only one which worked after that flood was the old 1936 unit. Ruggedness was not what it used to be in the past, and this is still true today.

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I really like our 6 year old, top load, non digital, Maytag USA, washing machine. Many years before that, we had reliable Sears. Our current 2 year old dryer, is a GE. Before that, always reliable Sears.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Now if they Could invent a machine that folds the clothes for you.;) I believe LG has One machine washer/dryer all in one unit. That'll wash and dry same machine. Or was it Samsung?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I really like our 6 year old, top load, non digital, Maytag USA, washing machine. Many years before that, we had reliable Sears. Our current 2 year old dryer, is a GE. Before that, always reliable Sears.
Yes. The old Sears Kenmore was made by Whirlpool.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Now if they Could invent a machine that folds the clothes for you.;) I believe LG has One machine washer/dryer all in one unit. That'll wash and dry same machine. Or was it Samsung?
Yes. And GE has one too. I looked at those.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Find a Chevy Nova from the 70's. Fix it up.

250 6 cyl or a 350 V-8

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have an a 3-and-a-half-year-old Amana top load with a matching front load Amana dryer. So far so good.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I looked at those. They are priced right. Amana is owned by Whirlpool too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My refrigerator is a Kitchen-Aid which is made by Whirlpool.
Same. All my kitchen appliances are Kitchen-Aid. They've been great so far.

I got an LG washer and dryer, and haven't had an issue with either. Both have been excellent.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I looked at LG. Really nice machines. I was going to go with an LG front-load, but went for a top-load instead.

highfigh

highfigh

At my parents' summer cottage, we had a 1936 GE fridge which had been working flawlessly, as well as a GE 1958 fridge.

When there was a Hydro Quebec dam incident, we had a flood, about 2 feet of water. You wouldn't guess but the only one which worked after that flood was the old 1936 unit. Ruggedness was not what it used to be in the past, and this is still true today.
I would bet that the 1936 model had the compressor on the top. With a handle, for easy removal. Which would have been good to know BEFORE we tried to move it down the stairs and when someone at the top grabbed the handle, the compressor came out and the guy at the bottom got to handle the rest of the load. We had tried to lift it out before starting and it didn't seem to want to move, so we just had to move the thing, which was incredibly top-heavy. Well, for awhile, anyway.

Good times!

highfigh

highfigh

I looked at LG. Really nice machines. I was going to go with an LG front-load, but went for a top-load instead.
Look further- their fridges have been failing for quite awhile and it looks like a class action lawsuit is coming because the compressor failures haven't been handled well. I don't know how they do with laundry but if I were looking for this, I would probably go with something by Amana/etc brands- My Amana fridge and range have been great, other than the starting cap/relay being rather expensive for what it is.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I looked at Samsung washers, but I got talked out of it. :oops:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would bet that the 1936 model had the compressor on the top. With a handle, for easy removal. Which would have been good to know BEFORE we tried to move it down the stairs and when someone at the top grabbed the handle, the compressor came out and the guy at the bottom got to handle the rest of the load. We had tried to lift it out before starting and it didn't seem to want to move, so we just had to move the thing, which was incredibly top-heavy. Well, for awhile, anyway.

Good times!
No, the compressor was at the bottom. It was probably the first refrigerator to feature a compressor at the bottom. :)

1_d98ea5ab176534eed64c8435615c27e9.jpg

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
be thankful you did, from those I know that had them, very problematic.
This is the reason I don't buy Samsung products. I've either sold and/or supported them since 2007, and have never cared for the way they do things on the software side of things. Hardware is usually pretty great, but the software ruins it. Granted, this very much depends on the product.

I can only imagine what goes wrong with their appliances.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis