Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Does anyone have any favorites for washing machine brands and features?

And top load vs front load?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
So far, I have found three brands that are rated high for reliability, Bosch, Miele and Speed Queen.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So far, I have found three brands that are rated high for reliability, Bosch, Miele and Speed Queen.
Believe it or not Speed Queen are the only ones that are reliable. They are made in Wisconsin, and are the domestic version of their commercial washers and dryers.

You can buy any brand you want, but the only one that will keep working is Speed Queen. Their bearings are massive and over designed, and they will keep working when the rest have stopped.

Ron at the local appliance store who sells, services and recycle appliances tells customers they can by any brand they, want, and he has lots. Then he says if you actually want it to work, he goes to the Speed Queens. Then he goes off and gets the bearings from Speed Queen and the competition, and you can see that the Speed Queen parts are well designed and built where it counts.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Excellent, thank you. Bosch and Miele are from Europe and are highly rated over there. I'm a little hesitant because of possible problems with parts and servicing over here. They are pricey too.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I was very happy with my Miele Front Loader... switched to LG about 10 years ago... and that has been good too.

I switched to front loaders years ago as they are much gentler on clothes, and stuff lasts longer - also easier to place in the house as the washer and dryer can be vertically stacked.

We had one LG dryer of our Washer Dryer pair start to make grinding noises - bearing issues - after about 6 years - we replaced it with another LG mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Brands we looked at included Miele, LG, Samsung, Asko...
Asko is no longer the Asko of old as it is now chinese owned -not sure about long term reliability (my mothers Asko washing machine is still going after 15 years...without a hitch)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yes, I read that LG is supposed to be good. I read that they're direct drive, no belts.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
The issues we had with our previous LG were linked to a dryer filter issue that let lint into the body of the machine, which would get into the bearings, and ultimately resulting in the machine becomeing relatively noisy (didn't bother me, but the other half couldn't stand it) - it was still working fine though.
We ended up selling it, and buying the current version - which is working very well 2 years down the line...

Towards the later part of the previous models lifetime, they replaced the lint filter with a new design that has a double filter - it lets much less pass through, and is easier to clean - this is standard on the new models.... so they appear to have learnt from their experience.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Excellent, thank you. Bosch and Miele are from Europe and are highly rated over there. I'm a little hesitant because of possible problems with parts and servicing over here. They are pricey too.
Buy American and avoid that Far Eastern junk. It is cheaper and far better made. I talk to service people, and when you interview them you find out how bad Far Eastern appliances are. Top of the list to avoid are Samsung, LG and now GEC now the Chinese own the GE appliance division.

One of my sons bought a Samsung washer and dryer and both have failed right out of warranty. Could not be fixed, but best buy gave them him a heavily discounted deal on replacements, but I would not trust them. Speed Queen are the new Maytag of old, and that is the one to go for. There is no doubt about it. Buy American every time if you can. Your purchases are a very good reason to do just that.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

Independent tests claim the old fashioned more aggressive agitator (TC5) still cleans better than their new 'Perfect Wash' (TR5) gentle system.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My understanding is that front loading washer/dryers are near impossible to repair. That being said I have had LGs that lasted me for 12+ years and I gave them away to buy a new set when HHGreg went out of business in 2017. Got 1200/ea washer and dryer for 450 ea. My credit card gave me 2 years past the manufacturer warranty, and I have not had to use it.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yeah, and I've heard that front load units smell bad after a few washes. You have to leave the door open and make sure you clean the door seal after every wash. And you have to run a 'bleach wash' every so often to clean the thing up inside.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I much prefer top loading washers myself. Like you said, that seal can get funky, had a Miele front loader at a rental some years back (and if it doesn't drain for some reason...). Then again doing a bleach wash periodically in top loader isn't a bad way to go either. The last time I needed a washer I just had the local thrift deliver a donated unit that looked decent, and bring it in the house for a silly low price and that's been almost ten years now (an older Kenmore).

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Top of the list to avoid are Samsung, LG and now GEC now the Chinese own the GE appliance division.
@TLS Guy , you are usually very much a Fact based guy so it caught me by surprise the above is not correct. Actually it's a Mexican company => Mabe that has controlling interest in GE Appliances. It's true there is a large portion of it now owned by Chinese nationals. But it's Mabe in control.

I know you want to be a patriot and wave the Flag and all, but according to Consumer Reports (an American nonprofit consumer organization dedicated to independent product testing, investigative journalism, consumer-oriented research, public education, and consumer advocacy) the top 10 rated Front Loading Washing Machines are LG and there is a Samsung at #11. The first Speed Queen is at #16.

By the way, we bought a GE front loading washer & gas dryer after our big main floor Reno of 2018, and it still works great. It was pretty well rated back then - somewhere in the top 10. My Mom has a pair from GE in 2016 with no complaints yet either. The first GE washer Consumer Reports has is at #37. Sounds like the competition has upped their game.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Yeah, and I've heard that front load units smell bad after a few washes. You have to leave the door open and make sure you clean the door seal after every wash. And you have to run a 'bleach wash' every so often to clean the thing up inside.
Nonsense - I have been using front loaders since the 1970's - if your machine is starting to smell and has such issues, something else is going on!!!

I do wipe down the seals a couple of times a year, and I run a high temperature "hygiene" cleaning wash perhaps once or twice a year too.... when I remember.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Nonsense - I have been using front loaders since the 1970's - if your machine is starting to smell and has such issues, something else is going on!!!

I do wipe down the seals a couple of times a year, and I run a high temperature "hygiene" cleaning wash perhaps once or twice a year too.... when I remember.
Actually there were some OEMs who had issues with bacteria, mould, etc., growing on these seals, and they made changes to the design. Our GE has a sanitize cycle it performs automatically if it sensors detect the need for it to dry off the seals.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Buy American and avoid that Far Eastern junk. It is cheaper and far better made. I talk to service people, and when you interview them you find out how bad Far Eastern appliances are. Top of the list to avoid are Samsung, LG and now GEC now the Chinese own the GE appliance division.

One of my sons bought a Samsung washer and dryer and both have failed right out of warranty. Could not be fixed, but best buy gave them him a heavily discounted deal on replacements, but I would not trust them. Speed Queen are the new Maytag of old, and that is the one to go for. There is no doubt about it. Buy American every time if you can. Your purchases are a very good reason to do just that.
Well first of all, we don't all live in the USA - and many of the brands you are talking about simply don't exist here (Australia).

GE was top of the market in fridges, and imported various other appliances for years - had a great reputation - they simply don't exist here any more. (there have been a couple of abortive attempts to re-start importing GE.... which have failed)

So our market is now primarily Asian and European.

My experience, and that of people in my family, revolves around Miele, Asko and LG - and so far, I really have nothing negative to say about any of these.... The Miele has been run for 20 years, and still runs - it is a washer dryer combo, sadly the dryer side has filled with lint, and doesn't dry any more... perhaps, if / when I have the time and inclination, I will take it appart and clean the condenser, to remove all the lint - because nothing is broken!... all the washing functions work like new.

My mothers Asko, which I purchased for her in circa 2003, is still running without any problems.
My LG washing machine was purchased when our son was still in Nappies, so it had very heavy nappy use for a number of years, and then heavy family with kids use... 9 years down the road, it is still doing well, and no sign of any issues with it.

If looking for a washing machine, you will typically also be looking for a matching dryer....
The old Miele (as mentioned above) ended up choking its condenser with lint - and there is no easy way on that combo machine, of cleaning the condenser... - it is however a 20+ year old design, so not very relevant to current models, other than saying - make sure there is a way of cleaning the condenser!
Our current LG has a self cleaning condenser which appears to work well in combination with the new double lint filter. - it is only 2 years old. Our previous almost identical LG, started making bearing noise after 7 years.... it was still running perfectly - but these earlier models had a single lint filter, and the lint then got into the guts and ended up damaging the bearings (yep even though it has a self cleaning condenser) - LG did provide us with the later "double filter" which could be retro fitted - but the damage to the bearings was already done.

This is not a question of Asian vs European vs USA... but it is worth while checking the feedback on specific models of interest, and also predecessors in a model range, which used the same design - often the guts of washing machines stay the same for decades, even when the externals vary as they update and market new models ....

For Dryers, definitely look at heat pump - much, much more energy efficient, and if used correctly, also gentler on the clothes.... but much like front load vs top load - that gentleness comes at a cost of time - longer washing times for front load vs top load and longer drying times for heat pump dryers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My understanding is that front loading washer/dryers are near impossible to repair. That being said I have had LGs that lasted me for 12+ years and I gave them away to buy a new set when HHGreg went out of business in 2017. Got 1200/ea washer and dryer for 450 ea. My credit card gave me 2 years past the manufacturer warranty, and I have not had to use it.
You are right about that. All Speed Queens are top loaders.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

@TLS Guy , you are usually very much a Fact based guy so it caught me by surprise the above is not correct. Actually it's a Mexican company => Mabe that has controlling interest in GE Appliances. It's true there is a large portion of it now owned by Chinese nationals. But it's Mabe in control.

I know you want to be a patriot and wave the Flag and all, but according to Consumer Reports (an American nonprofit consumer organization dedicated to independent product testing, investigative journalism, consumer-oriented research, public education, and consumer advocacy) the top 10 rated Front Loading Washing Machines are LG and there is a Samsung at #11. The first Speed Queen is at #16.

By the way, we bought a GE front loading washer & gas dryer after our big main floor Reno of 2018, and it still works great. It was pretty well rated back then - somewhere in the top 10. My Mom has a pair from GE in 2016 with no complaints yet either. The first GE washer Consumer Reports has is at #37. Sounds like the competition has upped their game.
Haier corporation bought GE appliance division in 2016. Haier corporation is Chinese. If you have different information please show me. I had to make sure I had GE US made ovens when I built this home. So I had to plan ahead. By the way, our washer and dryer are top loaders, which are better and far more durable. Our Maytag in Grand Forks, a top loader, lasted 30 years and we sold it with the house. The Maytag at the Lake, washer and dryer lasted twenty years, and we sold those with the house. None of those units ever had a service call. We have had one warranty service call on the Speed Queen washer to replace the main board a year ago. I can bet that was a Far Eastern chip. The Speed Queen warranty is three years, so it was still under warranty.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
All Speed Queens are top loaders.
Once again your incorrect,, https://speedqueen.com/au/products/home-products/front-load-washers/

The thing is speed queen are very over priced and are used in laundromats, and commercial properties,

I had a Samsung, for many years, No troubles , then the timer switching gave up the ghost, After something like 20 years. And I now have a modern up to date Samsung model. "Alien" Lives in a small room and when it comes to programing has a mind of it's own. It might be progress but why can't i just dump my crap into the thing drop the lid and push Start.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis