Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
@Swerd I knew I should have done a search before I created this thread. Oh well, too late now.

Thanks for your input and the link to your thread.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
By the way Swerd, after all these years, how is that Whirlpool WTW5700XW3 doing?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Don't despair. We bough an LG set, front loader, in 2007, 16th year. Still going strong. Yes, we wipe the glass on the door after each use
This: Water, standing water, is a problem for mechanical/electronic devices. I leave the door propped open on our washer as a default.

Also RTFM. You need to know you service intervals. Also look up how to get into the diagnostic/technician menus.

jinjuku

jinjuku

30 year old wall oven, Thermador with a GE brand Cafe line, also top rated. Could not repair the circuit board. Same brand gas cooktop, also 30, is still working.
My parents have a Tappan Range from ~57 that still works. Like everything, to this very day. I don't want to even think about having to move it. Lighting the oven is a bit dicey if you catch my draft.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
By the way Swerd, after all these years, how is that Whirlpool WTW5700XW3 doing?
It runs just fine. No problems at all. Between using it, we leave the top door open even though it has no rubber seals. And we Never Ever Use Fabric Softener!

I say this with some irrational fear that posting this might jinx things. I hope Whirlpool washers don't read Audioholics.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Back in 2013, I started a thread very similar to yours. Read it over, as not much has changed since then. Pay close attention to all the posts from @Midwesthonky . At an earlier time in his career, he was an engineer in the laundry products division at Maytag. Maytag was about to go out of business when it was bought by Whirlpool. His posts begin at Post #40.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/know-anything-about-washing-machines.84781/page-2#post-957794

As a result of that thread, I bought a top-loading Whirlpool washer that was modern in the sense that it is microprocessor controlled, uses little water, and has only a small agitator. It was originally a Maytag design. It's worked well since then.

Midwesthonky also provided the real reason why any washer with door seals (front or top loading) can develop that moldy smell. Fabric softener contains cheap plant-based protein. Mold & mildew thrive on that, even if it is 'rinsed away'. Running a cleaning cycle with chlorine bleach will kill the mold & mildew, but you're better off if you Never Ever Use Fabric Softener!
That may explain why I have never experienced the problem - I just don't (or very very rarely) use fabric softener....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
According to some experts, the Speed Queen washers are the most reliable machines. They are also manufactured in the US.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I forgot about this thread that I started.

For whatever it's worth, not that anyone cares, but I finally purchased the new washing machine.

Speed Queen TR7003 (top-load) I paid a lot, but I don't care. (audiophile washing machine ;))

It is an incredible machine. Consumer Reports didn't like it, but I do. (that's CR's problem)

It's so quiet, I barely know it's even running. And yes, my clothes get really clean. (smell nice too)

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic

For whatever it's worth, not that anyone cares, but I finally purchased the new washing machine.

Speed Queen TR7003 (top-load) I paid a lot, but I don't care. (audiophile washing machine ;))

It is an incredible machine. Consumer Reports didn't like it, but I do. (that's CR's problem)

It's so quiet, I barely know it's even running. And yes, my clothes get really clean. (smell nice too)
Now you need to test and report on the frequency response and THD of the washing machine....

(and don't forget the subjective evaluation, on how it "lifts the veil"... / "washes the veil?" )

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've come to the conclusion that you should expect 1 to 1.5 years for every $100 spent.

If you spent $800 on a washer? 8-12 years. A speed Queen can be $2300 so 23-32(?) years.

I bought what is supposed to be the 'good' LG 3400 series. I'll post back when one of the set dies.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
I,ve got a washing machine, Bloody thing has a mind of it's own, Sometimes it works to the way it's programed other times it just sits there waiting for some sucker to update the program,, water level's, hot cold water spin times.. It really is rocket science. So when all else fails, we attempt to read the operating instructing's or we find a 10 year old child to program the thing.,

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Now you need to test and report on the frequency response and THD of the washing machine....

(and don't forget the subjective evaluation, on how it "lifts the veil"... / "washes the veil?" )
Shouldn’t he wait until the “break in period” is over. At least 100 loads. And adjust for room acoustics. Can you toe-in a washer?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I've come to the conclusion that you should expect 1 to 1.5 years for every $100 spent.

If you spent $800 on a washer? 8-12 years. A speed Queen can be $2300 so 23-32(?) years.

I bought what is supposed to be the 'good' LG 3400 series. I'll post back when one of the set dies.
I keep buying the best washers and dryers I can. The problem is the planned obsolescence. each one is more expensive and lasts a shorter time than the last one. My friend that does home appliance repair confirmed this and laughs that it’s job security.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

In my opinion, the fact that this machine runs quietly is a good sign. What fails in most washers is the noisy transmission.

In the apartment building where I reside, washing machines often break. They are Whirlpool products and for most of the times, their transmission fails. They definitely have to be avoided.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Agreed. The washer model I have has no transmission at all. And instead of (4) suspension rods in each corner like most top-loaders have (they have to be replaced), mine has large heavy duty springs mounted in each corner at the bottom of the unit which never have to be replaced.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Congrats! I've just read that this machine also carries a 7 year warranty. That's really outstanding.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Thank you Verdinut. Yeah, a 7 year parts and labor warranty. It's kinda hard to get excited about washing machines, but this one gives me an excuse.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yes, those front-loaders are used in many laundromats around here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis