warfedale vs canton vs cambridge

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I just got rid of the polk PSW10 sub and really like the Dayton 10'' sub so I am trying to move up in sound without breaking the bank. also wife factor plays a part;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
300 is about all I can do. I am retired and don't want to get ahead of myself as we are on a fixed income so I am kinda conservative!
Sound familiar @speakerman39 ? :)

I've heard good things about those Ascend speakers, too. No first hand experience, I'm afraid... though I hope to rectify that sometime as David's work garners some pretty good praise!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
The Diamond 10.2's are going to be warmer than the others. I have owned the Diamond 220's and the Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. The 220's are more neutral whereas the Denton's are warmer. Wharfedale speakers typically have warmth in the mids with a buttery smooth top end. Very good musically.

Neutral speakers are going to reveal the flaws in said recordings. Not so much w/warmer sounding speakers. Personally, I loved both the 220's and the Dentons and my preference is ONLY music. In short, I can't recommend the Wharfedale speakers enough. The 220's/225's can be had @musicdirect.com B-stock/Open box. Might want to check them out.

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers?category=Speakers&specials=Demo&brand=Wharfedale&sort=popularity|DESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

Cheers,

Phil
thanks for that info. I had seen them on amazon and had really good reviews!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sound familiar @speakerman39 ? :)

I've heard good things about those Ascend speakers, too. No first hand experience, I'm afraid... though I hope to rectify that sometime as David's work garners some pretty good praise!
I owned both the 340 SE's and the 170 SE's years ago. Coming form the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's I was so disappointed. So much so, I could NOT sell them off fast enough. They are a bit too clinical for my tastes. Of the (3) speakers the OP mentions, the Diamond 10.2's would easily be my choice. Just saying...........

BTW, many people, myself included, feel as though the Chane A1.4's and the A2.4's are significant;y better than the 170 SE/340SE's respectively. I am NOT the ONLY one that believes that. Just go to AVS and see for yourself. Personally, the 170's/340SE's were some of the most lifeless, boring speakers that I have EVER owned.

I also have owned the RTi6's that the OP is hoping to upgrade from. The Diamond 10.2's would certainly be an upgrade inmho. The RTRi6's are bright, forward, and the tweeter gets fatiguing rather quickly. Not to mention, rather harsh even at moderate volume levels. The Diamond 10.2's will NOT be fatiguing at all and perform well musically speaking.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
J

jsf0656

Audioholic
these are really good alternatives and much appreciated:)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I am confused on the woofer choice though. do I need the 6'' over the 5'' or would the 5'' be sufficient?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I owned both the 340 SE's and the 170 SE's years ago. Coming form the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's I was so disappointed. So much so, I could NOT sell them off fast enough. They are a bit too clinical for my tastes. Of the (3) speakers the OP mentions, the Diamond 10.1's would easily be my choice. Just saying...........

BTW, many people, myself included, feel as though the Chane A1.4's and the A2.4's are significant;y better than the 170 SE/340SE's respectively. I am NOT the ONLY one that believes that. Just go to AVS and see for yourself. Personally, the 170's/340SE's were some of the most lifeless, boring speakers that I have EVER owned.

I also have owned the RTi6's that the OP is hoping to upgrade from. The Diamond 10.1's would certainly be an upgrade inmho. The RTRi6's are bright, forward, and the tweeter gets fatiguing quite quickly. Not to mention, rather harsh even at moderate volume levels. The Diamond 10.1's will NOT be fatiguing at all and perform well musically speaking.

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks... good perspective! :) Had heard something similar from only one other person.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks... good perspective! :) Had heard something similar from only one other person.
In what regard? Are you referring to the Wharfedale, Ascends or the Chanes? Lots of info out there. It is not too hard to find on any of the three. ;)

Cheers,

Phil

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In what regard? Are you referring to the Wharfedale, Ascends or the Chanes? Lots of info out there. It is not too hard to find on any of the three. ;)

Cheers,

Phil
Regarding the ascends... otherwise, I've only received strong recommendations towards them. :) Your description is very similar though to what this other gentleman described, which is what struck me. His phrasing was that they lacked some depth, richness... He still found them to be capable speakers but once compared to some others he switched up... Ultimately to Philharmonic... BMR, then Phil 3. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Some people prefer a certain "sound". Pretty much in most cases, EQ could be applied to achieve the same. I personally would very much rather start with "lifeless" and "clinical" or what I could call accurate and honest and EQ it later per personal taste.
The thing is I find hard to trust subjective amateur reviews because of the room, personal preferences and hearing ability all play a HUGE role in forming an opinion on a speaker.
YMMV

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Regarding the ascends... otherwise, I've only received strong recommendations towards them. :) Your description is very similar though to what this other gentleman described, which is what struck me. His phrasing was that they lacked some depth, richness... He still found them to be capable speakers but once compared to some others he switched up... Ultimately to Philharmonic... BMR, then Phil 3. :)
Are you implying that I am merely the ONLY one that was NOT enamored with the 340 SE's or the 170 SE's? Just to be clear here, I am ONLY referring to the 340 SE's and the 170 SE's. I have zero experience with the Sierra 1's and/or the Sierra 2's.

I know of (2) very esteemed members here that did NOT care for the 340's/170SE's either. However, they will NOT post about it b/c of all of the backlash that comes with it. I do post about it b/c I do my best to be honest about my experiences.

As I have mentioned to you not everyone can afford the BMR's or the Phil 3's. However, I am very happy that you really like your BMR's. I have no doubts that they are that good. As for me, I look for other alternatives. Very happy with the choices that I have made.

Cheers,

Phil

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
can someone please advise me on whether I need a 6'' woofer or will 5''be sufficient with my Dayton 1000 sub?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are you implying that I am merely the ONLY one that was NOT enamored with the 340 SE's or the 170 SE's? Just to be clear here, I am ONLY referring to the 340 SE's and the 170 SE's. I have zero experience with the Sierra 1's and/or the Sierra 2's.

I know of (2) very esteemed members here that did NOT care for the 340's/170SE's either. However, they will NOT post about it b/c of all of the backlash that comes with it. I do post about it b/c I do my best to be honest about my experiences.

As I have mentioned to you not everyone can afford the BMR's or the Phil 3's. However, I am very happy that you really like your BMR's. I have no doubts that they are that good. As for me, I look for other alternatives. Very happy with the choices that I have made.

Cheers,

Phil
No, not at all, Phil! Quite the opposite... I complimented your post and thanked you for a different perspective! :) When one person says something, you store it away as useful but a possible anomaly, too. You are the second person to say that, which I appreciate. Now I have more information to work with! And, I might add, a reason to learn more about them and whether they should be recommended as freely as they sometimes are.
I participate here so I can learn, and enjoy paying back the education and help I've received by offering that to others. Without that honesty from people, there is no learning. Cool?

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Good to know, I was actually check these out last week when I was looking at their Serra 1s.

What was your choice in speaker? What are you currently running? I remember you telling me how you had to part ways with some stuff when you moved.

I remember award the beginning of last year I had put away 250/ mo for a new pair of speakers. Once I hit my 1k goal I just could't wait. I was like a kid in a candy store. With your advice, TechHD, and KEW convinced me to by the BMRs over the Serria Tower. Still glad I did. And my wallet was too. This year, however I was not a good boy, I did the impulse buy on the X-13 on the credit card. Now when the GF comes over I pray she doesn't ask how much they cost, otherwise I'm in for a rough month.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
No, not at all, Phil! Quite the opposite... I complimented your post and thanked you for a different perspective! :) When one person says something, you store it away as useful but a possible anomaly, too. You are the second person to say that, which I appreciate. Now I have more information to work with! And, I might add, a reason to learn more about them and whether they should be recommended as freely as they sometimes are.
I participate here so I can learn, and enjoy paying back the education and help I've received by offering that to others. Without that honesty from people, there is no learning. Cool?
The thing is Ryan I owned the 340 SE's and the 170 SE's back in 2008/2009 IIRC. I drank the kool-aid in that supposedly the 170 SE's were better than the Paradigm Studio 20 V.3's. Likewise, the same with the 340 SE's and the Paradigm Studio 40 v.3's. However, once I received the 340 SE's/170 SE's I learned a very valuable lesson. That is, that was the BIGGEST bunch of BS that I have ever encountered in this hobby. Quite frankly, there was really no comparison. The Studio 20 v.3's were far superior in every way imaginable. That is the honest to GOD's truth.

Made up my mind then that I will never ever drink the kool-aid again. I have seen you post several times that you are not to fond of the KEF UniQ drivers. Nothing wrong w/that at all. However, I will say that sooner or later I will own a set of the KEF LS50's. Might even opt for the R300's if they are still available at the $1K price. The Polk LSiM 703's are also in high contention. That is, only when on sale in the $750/$800 range. Of course, plans change. Either way, I am NOT spending over $1K no matter what. The Dyn Emit M20's is another on my radar. Not going in serious debt anymore. Just too old for that BS. In the end, it always comes down to the deal and how much I can afford to spend. I am sure you understand.:)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Good to know, I was actually check these out last week when I was looking at their Serra 1s.

What was your choice in speaker? What are you currently running? I remember you telling me how you had to part ways with some stuff when you moved.

I remember award the beginning of last year I had put away 250/ mo for a new pair of speakers. Once I hit my 1k goal I just could't wait. I was like a kid in a candy store. With your advice, TechHD, and KEW convinced me to by the BMRs over the Serria Tower. Still glad I did. And my wallet was too. This year, however I was not a good boy, I did the impulse buy on the X-13 on the credit card. Now when the GF comes over I pray she doesn't ask how much they cost, otherwise I'm in for a rough month.
Right now I only have a set of JBL Elite 700 headphones. My preference is, and always will be, on music. I have no need or desire to do HT ever again. I have ordered a set of speakers and an AVR, but I actually don't get it until it is paid for. As such, it may be a while yet before I actually get my new gear. When I do, I will gladly let you know what I have. Just not sure when that time will be. Still not certain if I will opt for a sub. If so, then I will certainly go duals. Hopefully, a sub will not be needed. I am pretty much a 2 CH guy. I use my gear in the near-filed albeit my desktop. Like you, I am also saving money to purchase the KEF LS50's or the KEF R300's. Whichever is available and no more than $1K at the time I place my order. It will come down to the deal as always. :)

Cheers,

Phil

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
@speakerman39

Every comment about my 340’s is extremely disheartening but I’m actually very appreciative cause it brings me back down to earth realizing that these things aren’t the holy grail. I’m very hopeful to try out these Phase Tech PC1.5’s, and eventually to those Revels, and then I can finally see where those 340’s sit in reference to actual Audiophile speakers. Audiophile = More expensive than what it’s worth :p

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@speakerman39

Every comment about my 340’s is extremely disheartening but I’m actually very appreciative cause it brings me back down to earth realizing that these things aren’t the holy grail. I’m very hopeful to try out these Phase Tech PC1.5’s, and eventually to those Revels, and then I can finally see where those 340’s sit in reference to actual Audiophile speakers. Audiophile = More expensive than what it’s worth :p
Russ, I think a large part of my disappointment was coming from the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's. I never said that the 340SE's/170 SE's were bad speakers. Just no where near what I was told they would be. Back in the early 2000's the 340 SE's and the 170 SE's were all the rage. There is nothing wrong with your 340 SE's. They just were not my cup of tea. Others like them. That is fine too. We all are unique. No need to feel that way. :)

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
300 is about all I can do. I am retired and don't want to get ahead of myself as we are on a fixed income so I am kinda conservative!
The Canton is a really nice option for you

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis