warfedale vs canton vs cambridge

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Klipsch RP 150M and the Q Acoustics 3020 or 3020i. Also, something from Hsu should be considered as well. It seems that a 'horn' loaded speaker would suit you best based on the room and music. They're efficient and can play loud.

Q Acoustics reviews:

https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3020/review

https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3020i/review
I hope that my ears are still good and not going sour -- but I have owned both, and the 3020i is not much of an upgrade to me, and for me, they tend to have a somewhat boxy and hollow sounding nature and at certain dynamic peaks they can honk. Plus, they do not sound warm to me -- but they can play loud and throw a wide soundstage and have a little more detail over the 3020 -- this is all my subjective take -- but one can/should check them out if they desire.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I hope that my ears are still good and not going sour -- but I have owned both, and the 3020i is not much of an upgrade to me, and for me, they tend to have a somewhat boxy and hollow sounding nature and at certain dynamic peaks they can honk. Plus, they do not sound warm to me -- but they can play loud and throw a wide soundstage and have a little more detail over the 3020 -- this is all my subjective take, but one can/should check them out if they desire.
If they clearance sale the Concept 20, maybe that would be a nicer cabinet.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If they clearance sale the Concept 20, maybe that would be a nicer cabinet.
I would like to check them out one day -- time will tell .... but Q A was good about my return and even covered return shipping

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
[QUOTE="zieglj01, post: 1297838, member: 48288" but they can play loud and throw a wide soundstage and have a little more detail over the 3020 -- this is all my subjective take -- but one can/should check them out if they desire.[/QUOTE]

"but they can play loud and throw a wide soundstage"

That's ^^^ why I suggested them.

With his room being open to the kitchen and
cathedral ceilings, I thought they would 'fill' the room with sound.
I agree with your thoughts. They had a bit of a Bose quality to them, but I mean that in a good way. If that's possible. o_O I didn't dislike them (3020i's), but they were a bit too hollow for me as well.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That's ^^^ why I suggested them.

With his room being open to the kitchen and
cathedral ceilings, I thought they would 'fill' the room with sound.
I agree with your thoughts. They had a bit of a Bose quality to them, but I mean that in a good way. If that's possible. o_O I didn't dislike them (3020i's), but they were a bit too hollow for me as well.
Glad to see that I am not the only one, who hears some of the things I did with them

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to see that I am not the only one, who hears some of the things I did with them
I definitely like something in the 3020 and their WAF is off the charts, but the cabinets are not solid enough. Sounds like 3020i is not much better. The concept 20 perhaps if on extreme sale would be.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Always found it interesting that several reviews say that those Qs do nothing wrong for the price... Considering where they are priced, you start finding better speakers not much further up the ladder though. Granted, based on reviews, but it’s an illustration of the limitations within price class.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I definitely like something in the 3020 and their WAF is off the charts, but the cabinets are not solid enough. Sounds like 3020i is not much better. The concept 20 perhaps if on extreme sale would be.
When you play Spanish Harlem with Rebecca Pidgeon and the speaker honks, then there is a problem.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Didn’t that one make the Cronos series honk too?
Played much better and more clean on the Chrono GLS 2 speakers -- but really stood out on the 3020i which can be from both the bracing limitation and crossover work

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
On sale JBL Studio 235 speakers
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+230.html?dwvar_STUDIO 230_color=Black-GLOBAL-Current&cgid=loudspeakers#start=1[/QUO

considering the jbl 230s. read quite a few reviews and they get really good marks from people who have them. great for music which is what I have and have the qualities that I am looking for in better midranges and highs and good soundstage. on sale at the jbl website and free returns if I want to send them back! thanks for steering me in this direction. I think I will give them a shot. always heard good things about jbl!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
considering the jbl 230s. read quite a few reviews and they get really good marks from people who have them. great for music which is what I have and have the qualities that I am looking for in better midranges and highs and good soundstage. on sale at the jbl website and free returns if I want to send them back! thanks for steering me in this direction. I think I will give them a shot. always heard good things about jbl!
They should be a good option for you -- enjoy the adventure

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Played much better and more clean on the Chrono GLS 2 speakers -- but really stood out on the 3020i which can be from both the bracing limitation and crossover work
I’ll order the SACD. I didn’t realize it was available on SACD. Gotta feed my Ventos. :)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
They should be a good option for you -- enjoy the adventure
wow, just got an even better deal. harmon audio on ebay JBL studio 230s refurbished for 159.00 w/free shipping and original 5 yr warranty w/free returns!:) thanks guys for all the help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis