warfedale vs canton vs cambridge

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I doubt there is any appreciable difference.
I would second that... I would urge perhaps that you find the best FR balanced with the best SQ that you can. Speakers are all about tradeoffs, so look for the best balance you can!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I would second that... I would urge perhaps that you find the best FR balanced with the best SQ that you can. Speakers are all about tradeoffs, so look for the best balance you can!
thanks. a lot of good advice and suggestions. that's what I like about this forum....you can get a lot of answers and advice. on the other hand at AVS you are lucky if you even get an answer.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
thanks. a lot of good advice and suggestions. that's what I like about this forum....you can get a lot of answers and advice. on the other hand at AVS you are lucky if you even get an answer.
You're welcome. Little smaller here. But if you're in the right place at the right time... a lot of good over there too! ;)
Happy hunting!

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I don’t know about that one. At AVS you get too many answers...

I’ve seen a guy start two different threads here with legitimate questions and he was not answered once on both of them.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I don’t know about that one. At AVS you get too many answers...

I’ve seen a guy start two different threads here with legitimate questions and he was not answered once on both of them.
maybe because i'm not really that educated on audio. I started out only with HT but now i'm older and the music listening has kinda become my pastime!. a lot of questions I asked were probably old hat to AVS regulars and not all that interesting! but I really appreciate the guys here. seems like they care!:)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
forgive the hyjack...

Hi Phil, hope you are well. This is just my counter point to your experience...we all have our own journeys.

iirc...the paradigm studio 20's cost was over twice the amount of the Ascend 170se's. The Ascends were designed to have a flat frequency response and the studio 20's were designed so that they have a base bump a little extra sizzile in the upper treble. Now if you use a sub you shouldnt need the bass bump but without a sub the bump helps the low end even if it isnt accurate.

I was looking at the studio 20s back in the day but the cost was an a little much for me at that time. The 170se's were considered a lower cost alternative everywhere i read... not perfect but good... most concidered them a little analytical but less bright than the 20's but really needed a sub. I dont ever remember any recomendations on this forum that the 170's were better than the 20's. Just less expensive.

Experienced audiophiles with better speakers can and have picked out the limitations of the economy Ascends...and every other modestly priced speaker.

I like my Ascends. I like the 170se better than the 340se but they are obviously very close.... and both need a sub.

My SVS MTS-01's sound better but they sold for $1400 a pair...

to the originl poster... listening for yourself is the only way to know what you like for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Im sorry but i dont have experiance with the speakers you asked about but a bit of advice that helped me when i started on this forum was to listen to various speakers with music you are very familiar with and then ask for advice here for other speakers that might sound similar in your price range. ie: laid back treble or the bass bump some present or ability to play loudly or whatever.

This approach is not perfect but it gave me some direction to start with.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, so you @STRONGBADF1 come in here and try to discredit me and my experience with both the Ascends and the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's. As such, I will gladly respond. First of all, I NEVER said it was here on Audioholics that the comparisons between the Paradigm Studio series and the Ascends 340 SE's/170 SE's took place. Just so that you know, there are other forums to which I am a member of. I could spend hours trying to dig that old sh*t up, but honestly it is NOT even worth my time.

The Studio 20's cost twice as much for whom? Not for me. I got mine at cost. Just exactly like I did any other Paradigm product that I have ever owned. Hence, I have owned the Atoms, Mini Monitors, and even the Monitor 3's. Oh, and the PDR10 and PDR12. Still yet, the PS1000 and the PS1200. Lastly, I also owned the Studio 20 v.3's as was very familiar with the Studio 40 v.3's. However, I preferred the Studio 20's to that of the 40's and that is why I owned them. The price difference was NOT double for me. Just saying.........

The Studio 20 v.3's did NOT need a sub inmho. What amazed me the most is just how much sound was coming out of that cabinet. Over time, I noticed things like the tweeter was very fatiguing and the low end was certainly bloated. That is the exact reasons I got rid of them and opted for the 340 SE's/170 SE's. Of course, ONLY to be greatly disappointed. If my assessment does NOT sit well with you, then all I can say is that we will have to agree to disagree.

I stand by what I experienced. I do my best to be honest. If that honesty offended you, then know that is NOT my intent. But, to come in here and try to discredit my experiences with said speakers it will certainly be addressed. Glad that you really enjoy your Ascends. As for me, I could NOT sell mine fast enough. In fact, I merely gave them away just to get rid of them. That is a fact! ;)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Phil...relax... your opinion is as valid as mine. I didnt try to discredit you per se. i just gave a counter point.... and then advised the op to listen and form opinions so people such as yourself here that have more experience can help him find the speaker best for him... not you or me.

I do not post here to disrespect anyone or their choices.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
NHT is another brand to consider. If used is an option this is a very nice sounding speaker
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9adg2-nht-model-1-3a-bookshelf-speakers-black-pair-15781-monitors
Out of the brands listed I've only heard the warfedales and thought they were nice. I've heard other cantons and really enjoyed them.

If your handy, DYI is another option. This would come out around $300. Note this the same woofer Philharmonic used on his mini philamonitor
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-za5.2-tm-2-way-pair/

Same price for this one but they include cabinets and unassembled crossover.
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/speedster-kit.html

Both are excellent value to performance

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I really appreciate the guys here.
So does Doug. :D

Out of your stated options, the Cantons got 2 votes. One of those votes from a member who has owned like 482 pairs of bookshelves. That vote speaks volumes.

Considering the $300 budget, I would lean toward the used market with a strong preference for speakers within driving distance. It might take more time but something will surely come up as people are constantly changing up their systems.

Aside from the regular places to look, the Parts Express Tech Talk forum has a group of DIY'er types that sell off their completed builds for the cost of parts in some cases. IMO that represents an exceptional value in sound quality.

J

John Clement

Junior Audioholic
Out of the above mentioned which ones would be heavy on bass for music purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Out of the above mentioned which ones would be heavy on bass for music purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I owned the GLE towers (dual 7.5" woofers) and they were very light on bass. I imagine the bookshelf version would disappoint you in that regard. I wouldn't have suggested Canton excep that the OP mentioned a sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis