Wanna hear real world BT music casting opinions

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Let me tell you my current layout...

I have a Denon AVR x1200w. This is my second Denon unit. Loved my old AVR 683. Never an issue, just wanted to upgrade my tech. Have never loved this X1200w. Its been glitchy from day one. It is also pre HEOS. I don't need anything crazy, I have a simple setup. 5.1 in living room with powered 10 inch sub, and I have my outdoor speakers for my zone 2. To use zone 2 I use the Denon remote app which is God awful (Go read reviews). It drops often, locks up, looses connection, etc. But, it works and gives me outdoor music for the most part. BTW, my AVR is ethernet connected and zone 2 speakers are wired to AVR

Woke up Saturday, turned outdoor music on and Pandora doesn't recognize login when using the Denon remote app. Checked Pandora forums today and this is affecting a TON of people. Apparently Denon has decided to no longer support devices that aren't HEOS compatible based on another forum member talking to Denon, and then I was told the same by Denon. I'm aware I don't have to use Pandora, but I do have to use the Denon remote app. For the remainder of the weekend I ended up using the Denon remote app to control volume, while also using the Pandora app via Bluetooth. Not a huge deal, but the Denon remote app already sucks so bad by itself that now trying to get two apps to work together versus using Pandora within the Denon remote app, its no great.

After that long intro....who can give me some honest feedback about Yamaha and their app to play music? I've been looking at the RX-V6A and even ones lower than that. I'm a huge Yamaha fan. I own dirtbikes, guitars etc, but I've never owned one of their AVRs. I'm curious as to how well their BT stuff works, especially any Yamaha apps that give me the ability to control from my phone when outside. Does Yamaha have any type of remote app? am I maybe being ridiculous and just haven't seen/ educated myself on alternatives to the Denon remote app, and keep what I have but use different app? The thing I do like about the Denon remote app (when it works) is it literally lets me control both zones from my phone. I can switch the living room to a different source and listen to "patio zone" music at same time my wife is watching a movie. I can change volumes independently from one another with the app as well, again when it works. Basically what I'm wanting is what Denon attempted....complete control of the AVR in either zone as if I were using the actual Denon remote. Of course the big benefit too was the Denon remote app had Pandora built into it so it was all controlled with 1 app

Anyhow, appreciate the help as always!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Yamaha’s MusicCast app is great for network streaming of music and as a remote controller for Yamaha receivers.
IMG_4765.jpeg

IMG_4767.jpeg

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Yamaha’s MusicCast app is great for network streaming of music and as a remote controller for Yamaha receivers.View attachment 68015
View attachment 68016
Do you just use the multicast app along with the AVR? or is there some sort of 3rd device you have to purchase in order to use it? I ask because it appears you can purchase Multicast devices separately I guess? I don't really wanna do that. I wanna keep my existing 5.1 speaker system in my living and also keep my outdoor speakers which I have connected to my receiver via speaker cable.

And, what music source do you use? does multicast have Pandora, Spotify etc?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The pics I posted are from the MusicCast app on my iPhone. You'll notice the Main Zone was set to the HDMI1 port and Zone 2 was streaming music from Pandora. The receiver and my iPhone are on the same wifi network. So, the MusicCast app in my iPhone acts as the controller and music is streamed straight from the selected service over wifi to the receiver. I can close the app in my iPhone and the receiver will continue to play music from the selected service to the selected zone.

Last edited:
B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
The pics I posted are from the MusicCast app on my iPhone. You'll notice the the Main Zone was set to the HDMI1 port and Zone 2 was streaming music from Pandora. The receiver and my iPhone are on the same wifi network. So, the MusicCast app in my iPhone acts as the controller and music is streamed straight from the selected service over wifi to the receiver. I can close the app in my iPhone and the receiver will continue to play music from the selected service to the selected zone.
Awesome! Thank you for posting this

I've heard some mixed reviews about Musicast (didn't mean to say multicast earlier). But none of which have been as poor as what I've seen about the Denon apps

Such a nice looking AVR too

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The receiver itself is an annoying little droid for several reasons I've gone over in another thread. But, the MusicCast app is very good and the web setup feature using a browser to adjust the receiver's settings is also very good. Making changes to the system using the onscreen menu and the receiver's remote controller is not great.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How is your Denon with just using wifi/dlna? I don't use bt with my avrs generally.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
This Denon supports wifi and DLNA. It also supports Airplay so music from Pandora or some other services could be sent to it from another Airplay supporting device on the same network as the receiver.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Why not just add a Wiim Pro? Inexpensive and you get all the main connection options; bt, AirPlay 2, Chromecast, and others. BT has gotten better, but I've never been a fan. With other options like Chromecast your phone only acts as a remote. IOW, if you turn your phone off everything keeps playing. Also it gives options for future multi room play back. I don't use AirPlay but I believe it's similar to Chromecast in this way.

Amazon.com: WiiM Pro AirPlay 2 Receiver, Chromecast Audio, WiFi Multiroom Streamer, Compatible with Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant, Stream Hi-Res Audio from Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal and More : Electronics

I'd rather go with a global ecosystem that everyone supports than systems built, and thus limited, versions like Heos or Musicast.

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
How is your Denon with just using wifi/dlna? I don't use bt with my avrs generally.
On wifi....best to say its "iffy".

If we're talking using the actual remote and doing the onscreen Pandora, or firmware updates, not horrible. Little slow at times, but overall not awful

I too don't like using BT. Quality sucks and BT is not dependable IMO. You have to understand, I use the Denon Remote app to access the included Pandora app that comes preloaded on the receiver. Two years ago when I ran speaker cabling through my walls and attic out to the outdoor space/ speakers I quickly realized the Denon Remote app (because I can't carry the actual remote around) was no good. It worked "ok" for a few days, then suddenly, it stopped working. After hours and hours of trying to figure out the issue I found that the receiver for some odd reason was now only "discoverable" if the AVR was hardwired. Ok, no big deal, I dropped an ethernet cable like I do for all our data hogs. But even then, the app as I stated hangs up, stalls, looses connection. You would be listening to it and adjust volume via your phone, put your phone down and 30 seconds later decide you wanna skip past a song and when you'd bring the app back up it would spin and spin, but when it finally came up, you'd be back at the main screen as f you were starting the app for the first time of the day. Definitely not recommendable, just go read the app reviews. they're not good. But, what other choice did I have? My request was simple...I have zone 1 and 2. when in zone 2, I wanna listen to music and I'd like to be able to control that music with some sort of remote. Can't really use the actual remote from where zone 2 is, so along came the Denon remote app. Their idea was good. But the app sucks. Being able to access Pandora, online music, BT, etc using the app (which is basically just the onscreen menu when using the remote) was a good idea. But to be honest, this AVR has never been great. Honestly, I don't think I'll own another Deon brand (Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo) receiver.

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Why not just add a Wiim Pro? Inexpensive and you get all the main connection options; bt, AirPlay 2, Chromecast, and others. BT has gotten better, but I've never been a fan. With other options like Chromecast your phone only acts as a remote. IOW, if you turn your phone off everything keeps playing. Also it gives options for future multi room play back. I don't use AirPlay but I believe it's similar to Chromecast in this way.

Amazon.com: WiiM Pro AirPlay 2 Receiver, Chromecast Audio, WiFi Multiroom Streamer, Compatible with Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant, Stream Hi-Res Audio from Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal and More : Electronics

I'd rather go with a global ecosystem that everyone supports than systems built, and thus limited, versions like Heos or Musicast.
I am not a fan of tech that has the option of controlling doorlocks, thermostats etc. I don't use SIRI, Alexa or any of that stuff. I can lock my own doors and program my own thermostat, turn on my own TV etc. Don't need any AI help

But with wiim, how does it connect to my AVR? Looks like RCAs, but where do they plug into my AVR?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I am not a fan of tech that has the option of controlling doorlocks, thermostats etc. I don't use SIRI, Alexa or any of that stuff. I can lock my own doors and program my own thermostat, turn on my own TV etc. Don't need any AI help

But with wiim, how does it connect to my AVR? Looks like RCAs, but where do they plug into my AVR?
First off, you don't have to use any smart home stuff or AI to use this. It's really not that different from Heos, BT or Musicast. An advantage is you're not locked in a manufacturer's ecosystem.

The apps you use already have a Chromecast casting button/icon. It looks like this
Inactive cast extension
. From a user POV it's not going to be much different than listening to Pandora through BT. Which you can also do with the Wiim.

The difference is instead of a signal coming from your phone, Chromecast facilitates the Wiim to connect whatever you're playing on Pandora to get the signal directly from your Wi-Fi. Your phone is just a remote at this point.

The advantage is a very stable connection that has nothing to do with what you're doing on your phone. Once playing, and your phone will show you what's playing, you can even turn off your phone and it keeps playing. Also, if you bought another AVR or stereo it might have Chromecast built-in or AirPlay, or you can add another Wiim type device and stream to multiple rooms in your house. Then you'll have multi-room audio.

I would use a Toslink cable like this,

Amazon.com: Amazon Basics Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable, Multi-Channel, for Audio System, Sound Bar, Home Theatre, Gold-Plated Connectors, 3.3 Feet, Black : Electronics

and connect it from the SPDIF out (optical) from the Wiim to the Optical In #2 (Media Play) on the back of your AVR. Similarly, you could use RCA cable and go to Audio In #2 Media Player. On my Denin you can rename this input to whatever you want.

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
First off, you don't have to use any smart home stuff or AI to use this. It's really not that different from Heos, BT or Musicast. An advantage is you're not locked in a manufacturer's ecosystem.

The apps you use already have a Chromecast casting button/icon. It looks like this
Inactive cast extension
. From a user POV it's not going to be much different than listening to Pandora through BT. Which you can also do with the Wiim.

The difference is instead of a signal coming from your phone, Chromecast facilitates the Wiim to connect whatever you're playing on Pandora to get the signal directly from your Wi-Fi. Your phone is just a remote at this point.

The advantage is a very stable connection that has nothing to do with what you're doing on your phone. Once playing, and your phone will show you what's playing, you can even turn off your phone and it keeps playing. Also, if you bought another AVR or stereo it might have Chromecast built-in or AirPlay, or you can add another Wiim type device and stream to multiple rooms in your house. Then you'll have multi-room audio.

I would use a Toslink cable like this,

Amazon.com: Amazon Basics Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable, Multi-Channel, for Audio System, Sound Bar, Home Theatre, Gold-Plated Connectors, 3.3 Feet, Black : Electronics

and connect it from the SPDIF out (optical) from the Wiim to the Optical In #2 (Media Play) on the back of your AVR. Similarly, you could use RCA cable and go to Audio In #2 Media Player. On my Denin you can rename this input to whatever you want.
Thank you for the suggestion as well as education! I'll definitely look into this

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
If Airplay is not available here, a Wiim is a great option and a Wiim mini will do in a pinch if wifi is good. But, using an external device means using two apps. The Wiim app will control music playback in the Wiim and the Denon app will control the Denon functions. It is, however a much cheaper option than going with a new AVR. If going with a new Yamaha, the MusicCast app will control the receiver functions such as Power, Volume, Zone selection and Source selection including various streaming services.
IMG_4768.jpeg

IMG_4769.jpeg

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
If Airplay is not available here, a Wiim is a great option and a Wiim mini will do in a pinch if wifi is good. But, using an external device means using two apps. The Wiim app will control music playback in the Wiim and the Denon app will control the Denon functions. It is, however a much cheaper option than going with a new AVR. If going with a new Yamaha, the MusicCast app will control the receiver functions such as Power, Volume, Zone selection and Source selection including various streaming services.
View attachment 68021
View attachment 68023
To your point, thats what I'm trying to avoid. Since Saturday (when Denon lost its ability to play Pandora), I'm having to use two apps. I got the Denon remote app to control volume, zone on/off and source. But now I'm having to use it for the functionality only, then I have to use the separate Pandora app via BT to the Denon AVR, which I don't like. I don't like using two apps and I really don't like using BT. It Just worked much better when I was able to use the Denon Remote app, turn zone 2 (patio) on, select Pandora (where all my created channels are) from the Denon source option and play and control music all via one app. Sounded better too

B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
*UPDATE*

TO my surprise on the Pandora forum page we received a message that "they believe they resolved the issue". Tried logging in and voila, its back to working.

Funny though because originally Pandora said it was on Denon's end, but now Pandora replies to us saying they resolved the issue. Oh well, it works, sorta. Its still facing some odd issues, so hopefully they're still working on it. Now maybe I can stop looking LOL

Thanks again for all the help

Last edited:
B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
Resolutions that cost nothing are the best.
That is no joke. Its still a bit quirky now that I've played with it more, but at least it recognizes my account that I've been using for many years. Hopefully they're still working with it

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Let me tell you my current layout...

I have a Denon AVR x1200w. This is my second Denon unit. Loved my old AVR 683. Never an issue, just wanted to upgrade my tech. Have never loved this X1200w. Its been glitchy from day one. It is also pre HEOS. I don't need anything crazy, I have a simple setup. 5.1 in living room with powered 10 inch sub, and I have my outdoor speakers for my zone 2. To use zone 2 I use the Denon remote app which is God awful (Go read reviews). It drops often, locks up, looses connection, etc. But, it works and gives me outdoor music for the most part. BTW, my AVR is ethernet connected and zone 2 speakers are wired to AVR

Woke up Saturday, turned outdoor music on and Pandora doesn't recognize login when using the Denon remote app. Checked Pandora forums today and this is affecting a TON of people. Apparently Denon has decided to no longer support devices that aren't HEOS compatible based on another forum member talking to Denon, and then I was told the same by Denon. I'm aware I don't have to use Pandora, but I do have to use the Denon remote app. For the remainder of the weekend I ended up using the Denon remote app to control volume, while also using the Pandora app via Bluetooth. Not a huge deal, but the Denon remote app already sucks so bad by itself that now trying to get two apps to work together versus using Pandora within the Denon remote app, its no great.

After that long intro....who can give me some honest feedback about Yamaha and their app to play music? I've been looking at the RX-V6A and even ones lower than that. I'm a huge Yamaha fan. I own dirtbikes, guitars etc, but I've never owned one of their AVRs. I'm curious as to how well their BT stuff works, especially any Yamaha apps that give me the ability to control from my phone when outside. Does Yamaha have any type of remote app? am I maybe being ridiculous and just haven't seen/ educated myself on alternatives to the Denon remote app, and keep what I have but use different app? The thing I do like about the Denon remote app (when it works) is it literally lets me control both zones from my phone. I can switch the living room to a different source and listen to "patio zone" music at same time my wife is watching a movie. I can change volumes independently from one another with the app as well, again when it works. Basically what I'm wanting is what Denon attempted....complete control of the AVR in either zone as if I were using the actual Denon remote. Of course the big benefit too was the Denon remote app had Pandora built into it so it was all controlled with 1 app

Anyhow, appreciate the help as always!
First step out of the box- do a hard reset.
Second step, after the reset- connect to the network via ethernet cable and update the firmware.

This advice comes directly from Denon and all of other manufacturers.

Why are you using the AVR to stream when you could use AirPlay, if you have an iPhone. If you use another type of phone, I can't help but BT isn't the best way to connect because none of the AVRs I'm aware of use BT 5.0, which has great range. If you want to use BT and not spend a lot, look at the Miccus BT receiver- I bought one for a job that needed streaming and the staff of that place started whining as soon a I mentioned log in/log out, so I told them I would find something else. That morning, before I saw BT operate over 100', I KNEW Bluetooth sucked, based on my previous experience. However, I had ignored it for quite awhile, so I wasn't aware of the improvements. That evening, I found that I could stream from my phone over more than 125', but it was probably closer to 150'. I haven't received a single trouble call about it in almost six years.

Look for a newer Denon app- I use it with an AVR-2313CI and it works very reliably, but I use AirPlay. Still, I can turn it on/off, change sources, adjust the audio, etc.

If the AVR isn't hard wired to the network, do that. The last line in my signature comes from more than 20 years working with AV systems, integrating them with networks and the problems when people have been convinced that WiFi is going to work reliably.

Connect the Denon AVR to the network and find its IP address, then open a browser in your phone or on a computer. If it connects, that gives you another way to control it.

I use a Yamaha WXA-50 and can operate it using my phone app or from a computer. It's extremely reliable and has been for more than six years. I actually used this piece as the preamp in my stereo system and it left nothing to be desired.

Last edited:
B

blk00ss

Junior Audioholic
First step out of the box- do a hard reset.
Second step, after the reset- connect to the network via ethernet cable and update the firmware.

This advice comes directly from Denon and all of other manufacturers.

Why are you using the AVR to stream when you could use AirPlay, if you have an iPhone. If you use another type of phone, I can't help but BT isn't the best way to connect because none of the AVRs I'm aware of use BT 5.0, which has great range. If you want to use BT and not spend a lot, look at the Miccus BT receiver- I bought one for a job that needed streaming and the staff of that place started whining as soon a I mentioned log in/log out, so I told them I would find something else. That morning, before I saw BT operate over 100', I KNEW Bluetooth sucked, based on my previous experience. However, I had ignored it for quite awhile, so I wasn't aware of the improvements. That evening, I found that I could stream from my phone over more than 125', but it was probably closer to 150'. I haven't received a single trouble call about it in almost six years.

Look for a newer Denon app- I use it with an AVR-2313CI and it works very reliably, but I use AirPlay. Still, I can turn it on/off, change sources, adjust the audio, etc.

If the AVR isn't hard wired to the network, do that. The last line in my signature comes from more than 20 years working with AV systems, integrating them with networks and the problems when people have been convinced that WiFi is going to work reliably.

Connect the Denon AVR to the network and find its IP address, then open a browser in your phone or on a computer. If it connects, that gives you another way to control it.

I use a Yamaha WXA-50 and can operate it using my phone app or from a computer. It's extremely reliable and has been for more than six years. I actually used this piece as the preamp in my stereo system and it left nothing to be desired.
Appreciate the response, but it seems you didn't read anything from what has already been discussed. all the things you recommended are already done. Have been for years on my end. I think we got it squared away!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis