Upgrading Center and Mains

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
Thanks so much for all the previous advice on the forum. Last year you all were so helpful on upgrading subs and the receiver.

Currently I have the following set up:

B&W 601 mains
B&W 602 center
B&W LM1 rears
Denon 3700h receiver
2× HSU VT-3 MK5s

Room is rather large 17' x18' with 18' vaulted ceilings.

Ideally the mains and center would fit into my current furniture but not absolutely critical. Center placement is likely to be more of an issue with the wife.

I am just starting the research so don't have a real sense of what I need to budget yet but while money isn't of no object its not really going to be the driving factor in the decision making process.

System is probably used 80% for home theater and 20% for music. Definitely want to improve the overall listening experience for dialogue.

Attached is a picture of the current set up just to show the ideal space I'd like to fit in.

Although most would describe my room as challenging, I find that in general I'm pretty satisfied with the sound quality as is. I'm hoping that upgrading the center and fronts is going to significantly include the listening experience. If not why drop a few grand :).

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks so much for all the previous advice on the forum. Last year you all were so helpful on upgrading subs and the receiver.

Currently I have the following set up:

B&W 601 mains
B&W 602 center
B&W LM1 rears
Denon 3700h receiver
2× HSU VT-3 MK5s

Room is rather large 17' x18' with 18' vaulted ceilings.

Ideally the mains and center would fit into my current furniture but not absolutely critical. Center placement is likely to be more of an issue with the wife.

I am just starting the research so don't have a real sense of what I need to budget yet but while money isn't of no object its not really going to be the driving factor in the decision making process.

System is probably used 80% for home theater and 20% for music. Definitely want to improve the overall listening experience for dialogue.

Attached is a picture of the current set up just to show the ideal space I'd like to fit in.

Although most would describe my room as challenging, I find that in general I'm pretty satisfied with the sound quality as is. I'm hoping that upgrading the center and fronts is going to significantly include the listening experience. If not why drop a few grand :).

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

The starting question is: What is your planned budget for your front speaker upgrade? Are you willing to go up to $4-5K?

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I think you can get a good result by getting stands for yourr speakers and bringing them out into the room

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
The starting question is: What is your planned budget for your front speaker upgrade? Are you willing to go up to $4-5K?
That price is not an issue.

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
I think you can get a good result by getting stands for yourr speakers and bringing them out into the room
You mean out of the bookshelf or into the living space. I'm thinking that if I end up with towers, I can put them on the bottom floating stand and lose the bookshelves. Everything is wife management though. I don't have a picture of the subs in the original picture but you definitely won't approve. Surprisingly they fill the room pretty nice without the best placement. One on each side like pic with the woofer facing in. I dearly I'd put one behind me but as I said it's a negotiation

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
You mean out of the bookshelf or into the living space. I'm thinking that if I end up with towers, I can put them on the bottom floating stand and lose the bookshelves. Everything is wife management though. I don't have a picture of the subs in the original picture but you definitely won't approve. Surprisingly they fill the room pretty nice without the best placement. One on each side like pic with the woofer facing in. I dearly I'd put one behind me but as I said it's a negotiation

Photo of terrible sub placement

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Actually placing subs in a corner is very common, all good. I think you can get stands that are attractive, maybe in maple or oak to match the wood motif. Out into the room would only be 12 inches or so way from your back wall +/-. Ideally the tweeters of your left, right AND center channel are all level with your head/ear as you are seated in the MLP. With 2 HSU subs I don't know why you would need towers. Here is an example:

and for your CC

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Photo of terrible sub placement

That is not necessarily bad subwoofer placement. It's probably OK.

Given the space constrictions for the center speaker, you might be stuck there. There might not be any upgrades that are major since you can't accommodate a larger center.

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
That is not necessarily bad subwoofer placement. It's probably OK.

Given the space constrictions for the center speaker, you might be stuck there. There might not be any upgrades that are major since you can't accommodate a larger center.
For the center I may float it above the TV.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For the center I may float it above the TV.

Using a bookshelf speaker on each side of the TV with the tweeters at same level as that of the towers would be a much better solution.

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
Using a bookshelf speaker on each side of the TV with the tweeters at same level as that of the towers would be a much better solution.
I like that better anyway. From my initial research, I'm considering:

Sierra Horizon w Sierra 2EX
Revel M106 w C208
Goldenear ref XXL with ref brx

Looks like top two will be about 3,500 and I may be able to get the Goldenear used for $1,800.

ASR rates Sierra and Revel pretty stong with Amir always preferring Revel. Goldenear looks like there are some criticisms for the highs but that's a pretty big price difference.

Seems like all would be a pretty large improvement in performance but would it be a permanent improvement.

I got 20 years out of the B&Ws so would like to get 20 out of the next pair. There is some real nice stuff but I can't see waiting and upping the budget to 10k which may be immense improvement or significant dim8nishing returns.

Obviously hearing them subjectively would be nice but I do have faith in measurements and the only things I can test nearby are the goldenears. I can drive an hour and a half to hear the Revels or just due a Crutchfield return.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Revel M106 w C208

Looks like top two will be about 3,500 and I may be able to get the Goldenear used for $1,800.

ASR rates Sierra and Revel pretty stong with Amir always preferring Revel. Goldenear looks like there are some criticisms for the highs but that's a pretty big price difference.

Seems like all would be a pretty large improvement in performance but would it be a permanent improvement.

I got 20 years out of the B&Ws so would like to get 20 out of the next pair. There is some real nice stuff but I can't see waiting and upping the budget to 10k which may be immense improvement or significant dim8nishing returns.

Obviously hearing them subjectively would be nice but I do have faith in measurements and the only things I can test nearby are the goldenears. I can drive an hour and a half to hear the Revels or just due a Crutchfield return.

If you go testing the Goldenears, bring one CD or two for easier assessment. For better audio performance, the front speakers should be of the same brand and preferably of same series.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
B&W are high quality speakers. I used to have a pair of 802's and they were excellent. A sub/sat setup like you have should perform nicely. If I were going to redo my speakers I would dump the towers I use now and use bookshelf speakers all around to handle what the subwoofer doesn't do. I was caught up in the high end upgrading routine for years and finally kicked the habit. It was expensive. I quit worrying about the equipment and just let the stuff provide entertainment. Be sure those tweeters are aimed at your head. ;)

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic

Revel M106 w C208

Regardless of the speakers you use they will still need to be placed in the proper locations. I don't think sitting inside that cabinet will get you the best sound. You should get stands first.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis