Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Uhhh…. Exactly what will I need to connect it?

Thanks Lovin.
Yeah, just use the rcas. I got one of the early model Monoliths that don't even have the XLR inputs. I kinda look at those like I look at speakers with dual binding posts. It doesn't make or break it for me. From what I understand XLR is good to have for very long runs, but there isn't any audible difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now, if the amp ONLY had xlr inputs then an adapter cable, correctly configured, would be the way to go.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, just use the rcas. I got one of the early model Monoliths that don't even have the XLR inputs. I kinda look at those like I look at speakers with dual binding posts. It doesn't make or break it for me. From what I understand XLR is good to have for very long runs, but there isn't any audible difference.
That and a possible voltage increase on the output side. Grounded pin can help with hum too.

99% of folks wouldn't notice a difference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That and a possible voltage increase on the output side. Grounded pin can help with hum too.

99% of folks wouldn't notice a difference.
Yup. Now if I already had a receiver or prepro with XLR outs I would probably use those connections just because I can, but I wouldn't go buy something just for it or use any type of adapters.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Photo of the back shows that the current version has both XLR and RCA. There is a switch below each connection so make sure to switch to RCA if using RCA cables. Should have ordered cables at the same time... Monoprice has the best prices on cables. ;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yup. Now if I already had a receiver or prepro with XLR outs I would probably use those connections just because I can, but I wouldn't go buy something just for it or use any type of adapters.
I'll get one when I can justify its existence. I'd love to have something that uses a different RC than Audyssey just to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't think I'd do an upgrade JUST for that.

Coming from pro audio, XLR always makes me happier.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'll get one when I can justify its existence. I'd love to have something that uses a different RC than Audyssey just to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't think I'd do an upgrade JUST for that.

Coming from pro audio, XLR always makes me happier.
I've tripped over too many microphone cords to get happy over XLR.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Photo of the back shows that the current version has both XLR and RCA. There is a switch below each connection so make sure to switch to RCA if using RCA cables. Should have ordered cables at the same time... Monoprice has the best prices on cables. ;)
I just happen to live 10 minutes away from them. I will go there later today for cables and whatever else I can find. I haven’t been there since the pandemic. I didn’t know they reopened that facility to the public.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just happen to live 10 minutes away from them. I will go there later today for cables and whatever else I can find. I haven’t been there since the pandemic. I didn’t know they reopened that facility to the public.
Heck I didn't know they had an actual storefront....thought they were internet only.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
That 950 has me stuck. That is a great looking tv.

I am tempted to wait until Sony releases the 2021 85 inch Bravia model To see how much the price drops on the 950, or buy the 950 in a 75 inch, or the 85 inch 900, that are disappearing rapidly.

why are the tv’s at Costco a different model number? BB sales rep said they usually are missing a feature or two. BS?
I bought a 75 inch 950h back in January and have zero regrets. I looked at the Sony OLED and the 950 side by side for months at Best buy before I bought it. The difference is not night and day at all. And for a grand more than the 950, I couldn't justify it. The 950 is a great TV. Really good for movies and sports. But like someone said before, all content is not created equally. You will see the difference on a good set.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So sounds like new models coming in soon. I won’t be in the market for a big TV until August. If I even pull the trigger this year. I could wait another year. Just thinking to go up a notch prior to NHL season. :)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I was walking out the door to get the RCA’s, and FEDEX pulled up, I was told the unit was In Kentucky, the shipping label says Rancho Cucamonga. I ordered it yesterday. Great service.

18F43900-622F-4624-94B5-B947E5F34B22.jpeg

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I was walking out the door to get the RCA’s, and FEDEX pulled up, I was told the unit was In Kentucky, the shipping label says Rancho Cucamonga. Next day delivery is nice!

That sucker is heavy.

1D07BE6E-4DE3-403A-A4C3-34C930F77B36.jpeg

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I bought a 75 inch 950h back in January and have zero regrets. I looked at the Sony OLED and the 950 side by side for months at Best buy before I bought it. The difference is not night and day at all. And for a grand more than the 950, I couldn't justify it. The 950 is a great TV. Really good for movies and sports. But like someone said before, all content is not created equally. You will see the difference on a good set.
The 950 for me was the one. But it cost $1600 more. Wife is happy with the picture quality, I got an amp with the money saved.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
The 950 for me was the one. But it cost $1600 more. Wife is happy with the picture quality, I got an amp with the money saved.
That's awesome. There's always a balance with this stuff. Smart move. Enjoy you new gear.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Always thought they distributed from socal so next day ground delivery in a big metro area isn't that unusual....where I live, it would be unusual :)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I went to the Monoprice store to buy rca cables. I told the salesperson I needed 5 rca cables to connect my Monolith amp.
I get home and I have 5 stereo cables.
I read the instructions, I need 5 single rca connectors correct?
is my understanding correct:

Do i connect my speakers to the amp? Yes
do I connect a single RCA cable from the amp to the Denon’s preout- yes

I need 5 single rca cables, figured out the diagram.
I will try to be nice when I return the cables tomorrow

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis